Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 85

Author Topic: Omega Revenant: Catch A Falling Star  (Read 147214 times)

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Revenant: Catch A Falling Star
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2019, 01:07:12 pm »

((So basically the god of freezers?))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 01, 2019, 02:49:02 pm »

((Yep, no way this can possibly go wrong))
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 01, 2019, 07:19:08 pm »

((Yep, no way this can possibly go wrong))

((Well we’re about to find out I suppose))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 01, 2019, 07:39:04 pm »

(Even if he isn't going with you, Freddie is game for a round of "Hey, Freddie, I think I found something your dragonfire can't melt" if you want to test first.)

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 01, 2019, 08:44:51 pm »

(Even if he isn't going with you, Freddie is game for a round of "Hey, Freddie, I think I found something your dragonfire can't melt" if you want to test first.)

((Ok but how hot is Freddie’s dragon fire?))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 02, 2019, 12:01:20 am »

(I'm not sure, but hot enough to vaporize steel plate.)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:51 am »

I'm not really smart enough to figure this out.  But someone has to make the focus.

...I'm going to have to ask the gnomes for something again.

Go to the gnomes and ask them about creating a focus relevant to the problem.  It'll have to survive in orbit and be big.  I'll probably have to carry it.

..Better ask for two because I might break one.

Also, try to learn some things about these runes and linking things to other planes.  I can't do magic yet, but it looks neat.

(5) alright, the gnomes ask you some very detailed questions about the star you are trying to make:
size, weight, color, amount of heat produced, amount of light produced, does it have a soul, will it move or be stationary, will the planet move or be stationary, do you want it tied to any specific planes? do you want it NOT tied to any specific planes? They kinda chuckle at you carrying a star sized focus, but say a star that small is possible. It would just need to be quite close to the planet to work. Oddly enough, for gnomes, there is little argument about what materials they would need to make the focus out of - a ball of pure iron, etched in silver and studded with myriads of diamonds. Wrap the lot in gold wire, connecting pools of mercury and brass. Once created, infuse with whatever magical energies desired, place in orbit, and encapsulate the entire lot in as much pure water as possible. THere are variants, but this seems to be the consensus of the gnomes as to how to make a focus for an interplanar self contained energy source.

I'm ready to go, time to practice piloting the marionette
you pour yourself into the marionette and clonk about a bit. It's stiff, and it's hard to sense the world around you while inside. Your own thoughts echo weirdly inside your entombment.

I’m ready too. Follow whoever is helping make the vessel
Okay, you hang out around the people working on building your space machine. I guess that's ... Dino?

Alright guess I’ll go get this ship they’re talking about. Ask Gwyn for ideas on what it should look like and then ask whoever is building this thing to install a container strong enough to hold a sun
Alright, again, you get some very specific questions about what you mean by "contain a sun." They ask about size, shape, whether the sun will be angry during it's travel, if the sun has any allergies, like allergies to smoke, or mirrors, or rain, or certain kinds of music. They ask about whether the sun will be on or off during travel, and if the whole thing will be coming in one trip or if the vessel will need to make multiple trips. They ask if the vessel is expected to permanently carry the sun across the sky, or will the sun be retreating to the vessel at night. They ask if there are any gods who are particularly in love with the sun, or are particularly angry at the sun.

So, we have one group trying to build a vessel that can carry a sun, and one group trying to build a focus through which to create a sun.

Have we decided what kind of sun we are after? If you are going to create a sun, all you need for the vessel is something that can lift you up into the space above Omega Legion. A large cannon could do that, depending on the size of the focus. But if you want a large sun (like the earth's sun) then you are going to need a focus that is bigger than Omega Base.

If you want a medium sun (say, roughly the size of neptune) you'll need a focus at least as big as a colosseum.

Of course, you could start with a smaller sun and add onto it, so the initial focus is smaller, and once the entitiy is self contained, you could increase it by various means, like feeding it souls or re-linking it to various planes.

If you want to travel to get a sun there are a couple options:
1) go to find a sun deity - maybe in an abandoned world.
2) go to a plane in which stars live, like a plane of air and fire.grab an object that emits light and heat.
3) Go out into Outer Space (like teh one around earth, but preferably smaller so you don't have to travel for millions of years) and capture a star inside a magic ritual, or link a star to a focus back at Omega (maybe to swap places, or just to channel energies).

Building the vessel for space travel, including whatever you are going to house the sun in, depends entirely on what kind of sun you are trying to capture.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 06, 2019, 05:39:38 am »

Hmm.

For size.. well, medium (neptune-sized) sounds good.  There will be room for more than one planet, but not so huge it'll be difficult to take part in the process of making it.  If it's too tiny, it might limit the omega base to being just a small planetoid with an orbiting spark around it.

Weight, not sure how that's relevant for a star.  Go with whatever's suggested related to the rest.

Amount of heat and light.  Well, Freddie likes it hot and bright, but he likes dark to sleep in, so enough to lead to a pretty warm temperature, at least in some areas of omega base, and not bright enough to require great effort to put an area in shade.

I mean, Freddie's probably okay with a pretty ridiculous temperature, but there are others here too, so hot, but not scorching.

Color, well, red is always good, but Freddie's not red anymore, is he?  Maybe the colour of his plasmabreath.  Or red if that's unreasonable.

Will it move.. I don't know this local cosmology.  Probably not, since it's bigger than the Omega planetoid.  That means the omega planetoid will have to move, though, unless we want it in the sky all the time.  I suppose it could just sit in the sky and be weightless, but that means no night and day cycle, unless it blinks off or on or the planetoid spins.

Tied to specific planes.. well, fire was good.  Light would be good, too.  Other than that.. well, maybe metal?  That might make basking in it feel good.

Not tied.. well, I don't think I want it tied to a plane related to any specific creatures or spirits, since we have all kinds here.  Probably not magic too, as that gets unpredictable and would probably strengthen the bindings on the characters.

Okay, so step one is to create it.  So.. get the ingredients together?  That sounds good.  We've got teleporters here, and can smelt iron together, so consult as to what we have available, and what we need more of to make the focus.  Freddie is willing to volunteer for going out and finding stuff, lots of shiny metal is shiny, and he is extremely interested in going to a place with huge quantities of diamonds.  Not to mention it's very personally appealing to just go somewhere and take what you want back to your home.

Second.. going with one that's smaller, but needs extra links to set up, or the ability to eat souls to reach the design size..  There's both practical reasons for going for that, as well as ambitious reasons for Freddie to support that, so he'll probably support starting it smaller, if only to provide opportunities for his own gains.  I mean, if he learns how to eat souls, that'll be good.  At least from his point of view.  Plus, a focus the size of a large stadium could be a million tons of iron, wheras one that gets enhanced to that size might be only as much as a large battleship.  The latter is a lot more reasonable to acquire.

If Tl;dr, medium sized star, starting smaller and gets enlarged to design size, plasmabreath coloured, hot enough to make Omega base hot but not scorching.  Bright but not blinding.  Tied to fire, light, and maybe metal.  Not tied to stuff related to specific creatures or magic itself.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:18:58 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 09, 2019, 11:31:42 pm »

For the other group.. I'm not sure.  1, 2, and 3 all sound good to me.  I think personally I'd prefer a deity, but the other two also sound very interesting.  #2 having a star ecology? sign me up.  #3 would probably be the most boring, but not bad.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 10, 2019, 12:24:54 am »

I'm thinking 2

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 10, 2019, 12:39:45 am »

I was thinking either 2 or 3

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 10, 2019, 08:52:58 am »

I'm going to say 1 or 2. 1 would be easier to transport, 2 ought to be easier to contain if done through non-diplomatic means
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 10, 2019, 09:00:37 am »

Lenglon is inclined towards 1, though she doesn't mind 2 or 3.
Gwyn doesn't have an opinion.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 14, 2019, 01:44:28 pm »

Alright, looks like option 2 is the preferred method, though Freddie is still trying to build a star from scratch (and diamonds).

So, We'll send you to the Elemental Plain of Radiance to pick up supplies. Should find some good diamonds or diamond-like items there.

After a few weeks of local gathering of supplies and instructions and the like, you are lead to the top of the center of the Omega plateau, surrounded by teh canyons that have been your home these several years. The plateau is pretty large and usually feels rather open, but now it feels too small - the new building standing here dominates the landscape, towering above the surrounding area. The object is ovoid and strangely reminiscent of an enormous, fat beetle - with a domes top, rounded belly, dozens of legs supporting it's sides, and a small, black bulb at one end, a featureless head staring eyelessly at everything around. surrounding the bulb is a ring of strange, crystalline spires arranged in a ring just behind the widest point in the black sphere, like a mane or a headdress made of ice.

around the object, numerous beings are at work. at first you hardly notice them in light of the giant construction that has appeared, as if by magic (and possibly literally by magic) in front of you. But as you take in the sight, your attention is drawn by the activity: lots of aerial beings swarming about; several treats- some even clinging to the sides of the construction, suspended alarmingly in the air far above the relative comfort of the ground below; a small horde of beings on the ground or attached to various points around the thing; and a last group, standing in the midst of the activity but clearly separated from it all. The guide that brought you together up here waves you toward them and then disappears on other errands. As you approach, the group turns much of it's attention to you. There are several officers here - some you have never seen before. A dozen strangely solemn gnomes stand in a unified front, with a clear leader a pace ahead. The two captains of Omega legion that you have met - Captains Grey - are there. Several people that seem unrelated to Omega - the lack of Omega brand is immediately evident to your acclimatized eyes. The group is an island in the sea of chaos on the plateau. No-one comes within several dozen yards of the area. And in the midst of this group is a similar island of isolation. A single woman, dressed in a white that might be called silver, unsullied by the dust and heat, accompanied by three cats.

"Ah, right, here are the victims now. Volunteers, that is, of course." The darker Grey comments in a casual, sarcastic humor that seems both out of place, and totally natural, somehow. "Well, what do you think? Be honest, now."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 14, 2019, 03:17:55 pm »

"Is that my iron ball?"

followed by..

"Can I eat those people?"
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:10:51 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 85