Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 85

Author Topic: Omega Revenant: Catch A Falling Star  (Read 148174 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Revenant: They All Fall Down
« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2019, 04:45:10 am »

I like Omega, i don't want a "final mission" unless you want to move on to something new. Omega's relative freeform-ness is a delight and I really enjoy it. I don't want it to end.

so i'm inclined towards either a straightup "battle" mission or exploration. However, I'm fairly open to whatever.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2019, 08:40:36 am »

While I enjoy Omega I also think that perhaps taking the lessons from this and putting it into a different system and setting would allow for improvements.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2019, 09:32:51 am »

Honestly I would prefer to have Omega going for as long as it can stand

well, I guess I will be fine sparring a clockwork robot

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2019, 09:45:19 am »

I want this game to continue, also an exploration mission sounds cool, whether it be in elemental realms or this realm

Use plant magic to try to force the plant growth away from me as I try to fly upward

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2019, 10:28:03 am »

I want the game to end.  The stats don't make much sense, and there's too much baggage from the long history.  I'll go with it as long as it continues, but it very much needs a redesign, and probably a relaunch, just to clean up the baggage and simplify things.  I'd rather not feel I have to game the system to keep up, for instance, and concentrate on in-game actions instead of out-of-game rulings.

The quality also has been slipping sometimes.  If you don't like a game and don't feel like you can do it properly, it's okay to end it.

That said, if you replace it the new one shouldn't be too different.  The concept and the fixed mission system are fine, it's okay to have games like this instead of ones with a lot of self-direction like Cabal.  Mission vote is to avoid a final mission, because I'm not a fan of epilogues, so I'd rather not have a final mission.. just end it between missions instead of having a special one to end it on.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:36:58 am by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2019, 10:42:14 am »

If the votes are to end it, can my character be transferred into the new game? She hasn’t been here for long

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 14, 2019, 07:38:34 pm »

"You're huge! That's good enough for Bruford!"

Challenge the big thing to a friendly and (hopefully) non-lethal sparring match.

((I'd like to have the game continue, but I would be fine if you really want to end it. If we're voting, I would prefer either the battle or world-building missions, but I'm also okay with exploring as long as we don't split up.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 15, 2019, 10:25:30 am »

((I'm fine either way. I wouldn't mind the game continueing at all, I still enjoy it. However, I would prefer we have an actual ending at some point, rather than a collective burning out/losing interest resulting in the game just sort of falling apart.))

Nah, I'll let Bruford fight the big thing. Instead, go to the library and try to find some textbooks on more unconventional uses of clockwork magic and farseeing. Or some history books about famous users of my schools of magic and their exploits.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 15, 2019, 10:26:49 am »

Wwander about and try and figure out what is stopping anyone from going to the heart
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 17, 2019, 10:25:43 pm »

That was informative and about as far from a consensus as possible~
*GM seeks direction*
*GM rolls a 1!*
*GM falls into his own pit!*

Honestly I would prefer to have Omega going for as long as it can stand

well, I guess I will be fine sparring a clockwork robot
guess not. Clunkers has declined. sorry.

I want this game to continue, also an exploration mission sounds cool, whether it be in elemental realms or this realm

Use plant magic to try to force the plant growth away from me as I try to fly upward

(2) your magic seems to slide off the plant as if it were resistant. You fly up without interference. Doesn't look like the plant is particularly hungry for pixie dust.

"You're huge! That's good enough for Bruford!"

Challenge the big thing to a friendly and (hopefully) non-lethal sparring match.

((I'd like to have the game continue, but I would be fine if you really want to end it. If we're voting, I would prefer either the battle or world-building missions, but I'm also okay with exploring as long as we don't split up.))
Alright let's roll it out.
First, we're taking that executioner's axe and setting it aside, for the sake of non-lethality. You get a rough, dulled sparring axe instead.
let's look at stats that are important here.
Bruford: journeyman body with +4 strength and Constitution (making both of those master class) and -1 stamina (making that apprentice level)
Cursed movement. Dodging is ... unlikely
apprentice melee with +2 in unnatural weapons (journeyman) and a specialization in axes (~master class)

tree thing: it's body is master class and it's melee is likewise, with bonuses in natural weapons making it exceptional. Movement is also ... unknown but higher than cursed for sure. It also has magical affinity "stoneplant" and some form of magical attack.

Basically, the tree has advantage. Also, there is something a bit unsettling about the tree. It doesn't have an Omega Brand.

Because the treething dopesn't move first, Bruford approaches the big treething, swinging his axe: (1) v (2) The swing is poorly executed and hte creature merely steps back to avoid it.

now for initiative: (3) v (4). Treething swings two limbs, one after the other, in diagonal overhand swings: (1)(1) v (1)(4) The first swing glances off Bruford's axe arm, sending him stumbling past and causing the other swing to strike the rock wall instead. Now we roll to see if Bruford maintains balance: (4) Sine this is a Cursed stat, this is not enough to maintain balance, but is enough to avoid complete failure. Bruford scrapes along the rock wall and slides onto his knees and hand.

It takes a full round for Bruford to regain himself and face the treething. Had the treething moved forward and pressed his advantage, Bruford would have been taking attacks this whole time, but instead he is out of reach and the treething does not approach.

We'll make another Bruford attack, but this time, the treething responds as Bruford is closing in, so it will be attack v defense and attack v defense at the same time. Tree thing has advantage on attack, but we'll keep him at par for defense. In a real battle, he'd probably have advantage on defense as well.

(4) v (3) Bruford's attack connects at a 'shoulder.' Con roll: (5) Con roll for the axe: (3) The axe strikes hard against what feels more like hardened steel than wood. The axe turns in Bruford's hand, a split running from the head back along the handle a short distance. It is still usable, but another strike like that will likely break the wooden handle clean through.
(6)(3) v (4) The treething swings upward with two limbs, one striking Bruford's wrist and sending the axe flying, the other striking Bruford's head and sending him crashing back against the cliff wall. We'll call this a win for the treething, but Bruford is free to get up and get another practice axe for round 2.
there are no other comparably sized creatures in Omega at the moment that Bruford can spar with, so if he want's to spar he'll either need to take that disadvantage or find a smaller creature that is willing to go up against him. Chances are, a smaller creature willing to fight Bruford is going ot have some tricks up it's sleeve though, and not be an easy opponent. Easy opponents probably will simply not want to be squished by the clumsy giant wrecking ball, after all.

If the votes are to end it, can my character be transferred into the new game? She hasn’t been here for long
I'm not opposed to using similar characters in different games. If I did end Omega, I wasn't necessarily going to make a copycat game - I've already got Wolfhound for that :P

((I'm fine either way. I wouldn't mind the game continueing at all, I still enjoy it. However, I would prefer we have an actual ending at some point, rather than a collective burning out/losing interest resulting in the game just sort of falling apart.))

Nah, I'll let Bruford fight the big thing. Instead, go to the library and try to find some textbooks on more unconventional uses of clockwork magic and farseeing. Or some history books about famous users of my schools of magic and their exploits.
You find tales of massive, complex dances and gymnastic routines being coordinated and contrlled by clockwork magic, intricate and extensive musical works, and of course some time manipulation. One prominent legendary feature that shows up repeatedly is some kind of timekeeping device that regulates life cycles, from conception and birth all the way to death - but never beyond death, oddly enough. similarly are timekeeping devices that guide planetary motion, seasons, and the arrangement and life of stars and celestial beings. Vast armies march to the beat of a magical drummer, earthquakes are made by discordant rhythms, etc. On the other end of the clockwork scale are tales of repairs or healing done by clockwork mages skilled in 'keeping the physical order.' Some national and natural boundaries seem to be maintained by clockwork magical methods.

Farseeing is pretty straightforward. There are tales of mind reading, but you dismiss those as conflating farseeing with telepathy. generally, seeing at a distance, dredging up information from an object through time, or even seeing the microscopic or magical influences are among the skills that fall under farseeing. astral projection is often associated with farseeing, but you doubt that is something you are capable of, on account of probably not having an astral to project.

Wwander about and try and figure out what is stopping anyone from going to the heart
(6) it seems the passageways are all essentially closed. the base seems to have a function where things shift a bit in time and space for various reasons, such as sealing off prison cells or closing accessways for private systems or things like the Heart. This is probably also related otthe portal system that moves you guys from world to world, and whatever caused Omgea to become spherical when it used to be planar. anyway, through your inspections, you find a closed portal and manage to convince it to allow you to pass, sealing up behind you a you enter. The Heart is therebelow, a biomechanical entity radiating power and life, just as before. it's movements seem sedate, though vigorous. The noise is loud and almost cacaphonous, but you detect the rhythms and patterns of the place, thugh you can't quite comprehend them.

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 17, 2019, 10:46:00 pm »

go find a sparring arena and challenge something to a spar there

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 17, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »

I'm ok with fighting someone/something.

If I can't find anything to fight, spend some quality time with my new posessions.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:09:18 pm by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 18, 2019, 06:21:27 am »

Now that I’m in the air, use my position to better examine the surroundings

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 18, 2019, 07:11:25 am »

Approach the heart and examine the room and heart itself. Study and try to gain insight into how it works.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:41 pm »

Interesting. Keep digging for texts about 'dredging up information from an object through time', 'repairs or healing done by clockwork mages skilled in keeping the physical order' and 'time manipulation', in no particular order of importance. Try and seek out technical/non-fiction texts that give insight in how each of those are done, rather than myths or legends.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 85