Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What is "The Big Wait"?  (Read 16480 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What is "The Big Wait"?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:55 am »

Amazed nobody has mentioned how Elephants used to be gods of war in mortal form... Body size used to equate to damage dealt and resisted, guess how that would have effected an Elephant.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 10:39:39 am »

That's a great visualization Japa. I popped in at DF2014 myself, feels odd to have 2 batches younger than me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 10:46:07 am »

Feels odd to have been with DF for the majority of its public development lifetime.

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 04:17:00 pm »

As can be seen, there's a pattern of about 6 or 7 long waits, followed by quick bugfix releases.
Game of Stones: A Song of Greed and Industry.  Dwarves abide by the old bugs and the new, but the Wait is coming.  How many Waits have you survived, Japa?
I survived 5 of them.
But you look so young!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 06:55:11 pm »

I started with the 2012 release, so I've survived a few. I remember how big a deal world activation and multi-tile trees were. Those were the days.

I have yet to have issues with giant sponges.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 10:33:35 am »

It's funny how those of us who have been through multiple cycles of these remember them, too... it's almost always in terms of the bugs, not the cool new features.

"Remember when the worst thing you could face was undead carp?"
"Remember when giant sponges were death to the fortress?"
"Remember the update where the trees became mad bombers?"

Remember?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 04:38:55 pm »

Remember red lining the chasm?
Remember when underground rivers were a thing?  And not just underground rivers, but the underground rivers that would flood every so often?
Remember when building walls was not a thing?
Remember when you could only choose from a few preset embark locations? (not like it mattered much)
Remember when if you scrolled too far east or west there was an easter egg message?
Remember cavern animalmen riding flying mounts?

Pepperage farm Greiger remembers.

I imagine during the release dry spells the DFHack folks do their most ambitious work, considering they don't have to worry about a new release immediately breaking all their work. So it's not all bad.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:23 pm »

Yeah, and I did mention two major positives. The world activation that took us from fighting the zombified remains of nations to actually interacting with a wider world, and the multi-tile trees that made staying under the elf-cap ridiculously easy. And gave us tons of wood. Sure, sometimes it gave a dwarf a little too much wood a little too directly, but that's just gravity doing its job.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »

I'm looking forward to the Big Wait to be completely honest. Sure, there'll be no new updates for a long time, but if the last Big Wait was any indication what that means is we'll see a renaissance in mods, player-made utilities, succession games/story forts... these are all activities that are disrupted by DF getting a new release.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:45 am »

Yeah, and I did mention two major positives. The world activation that took us from fighting the zombified remains of nations to actually interacting with a wider world, and the multi-tile trees that made staying under the elf-cap ridiculously easy...

Was that a positive losing elf-invasions? I always imagined the more elves to slaugther the better.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:41 am »

If you want elf invasions, clear cut your forest after the elven diplomat visits, just to spite him. Then drag the wood inside the fortress, set up a drawbridge to nowhere, and use it to catapult the wooden logs at the oncoming elven siege. Personally I'd rather co-opt the elves arm them with steel, and set them loose on the goblins in my name.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 08:57:30 am »

I don't think I ever thought that dwarf fortress would end up this way when I started in college. Waaaay back in 2007/8. Heady days those were. How far we've come.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »

If a new player returns to DF after their first "big wait," they are officially converts and will continue to play the game well into the future.
I joined when 43.05 was still a thing. I survived one.
I joined literally days before 42.01 was released. It took me until 42.03 or so to figure out that there was a new version.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 05:22:15 pm »

September was the approximate time when the Big Wait begins. Hopefully Toady can fix some of the most outstanding bugs like military equipment and layering issues that have been in the game for 5+ years, before we start waiting again.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:50 pm »

I was here to witness the first Big Wait (the one between 2012 and 2014) - but just like the first one was, this one is gonna be worth it, maybe even more so considering just on how much more it builds upon.

Fitting that the first one happened when I was starting high school, and the second is gonna take off around when I'll be starting university (give or take).

And I for one look forward to the many months' worth of blog posts during The Big Wait, and getting the ...maybe not so much the "hype thrusters" as much as the "long-term looking-forward-to slow-burn engines" going. And then, the inevitable trainwreck on release in 2020 or whenever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7