Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What is "The Big Wait"?  (Read 16718 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is "The Big Wait"?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »

What do you guys think the changes are that tarn will be focusing on developing the first pass of the myth and magic update by the end of this year?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2018, 04:11:56 pm »

What do you guys think the changes are that tarn will be focusing on developing the first pass of the myth and magic update by the end of this year?
None at all. Development won't even start for a few months yet. A Big Wait of 1-2-months would be an amusing jape, but, no, expect it a couple of years after development starts.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »

I didn't ask if it would be released by the end of this year, I asked if toady would finally be focusing on it and have the premagic features done by then.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »

I didn't ask if it would be released by the end of this year, I asked if toady would finally be focusing on it and have the premagic features done by then.
In April he said he'd give himself 6 months more time on this small-updates phase. So chances are pretty high. After villains there's only armies and Improved Sieges to add. Adventurer improvements seem to be being included in with the other stuff.

(Of course, he also said "4 or 5 more months" in the interview he posted on the weekend. Depends when that was recorded, but it may not be until right at the end of this year before anything starts).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:44:59 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2018, 04:49:31 pm »

Thanks for the information, even if myth and magic isn't released this year I am still looking forward to tarn adams posting update about the process of making it. It's such a fascinating thing that even it's development interests me.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »

Myth and magic will be released in about two years, judging by the scale of it. So 2020. Not this year, releases are never this fast.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57:38 pm »

Myth and magic will be released in about two years, judging by the scale of it. So 2020. Not this year, releases are never this fast.
Yes, we already established the question was about when development would start.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2018, 02:55:45 am »

"Start" is a nebulous thing in itself, as side projects and thinking are probably underway currently, but the last release of this arc ought to appear this year, and I'd expect Toady would dive into M&M development immediately after the last planned bug fix release (which may be followed by an unplanned bug fix release for some serious bug(s), but that would happen while new development was already under way). By "planned" I don't mean there's currently a schedule for it, but rather the one when Toady think he's taken care of the last of the serious bugs to be addressed, and that decision is probably made finally at the time of release (although it's probably made tentatively a fair bit before that).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 04:04:02 am »

Yeah, I was going to mention that. Mythgen's been ongoing for at least a couple of years now. There's a prototype from gdc 2016 which has presumably been tinkered with a lot since then. And starfields apparently. And no doubt many other side projects involving ever more realistic cat behavior which are surely vital to the process.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:38 am »

Remember when diagonal movement wasn't a thing?
Remember infinifloods?
Remember needing water to make alcohol?
Remember frogmen climbing up the well?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 10:21:19 am »

Yeah, I was going to mention that. Mythgen's been ongoing for at least a couple of years now. There's a prototype from gdc 2016 which has presumably been tinkered with a lot since then. And starfields apparently. And no doubt many other side projects involving ever more realistic cat behavior which are surely vital to the process.
Breaking news: Mythgen arc gets aborted for Cat arc.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »

I still really wish I could play with the prototype myth generator shown off at GDC. I hope eventually a tarn will released a version of it for us to play with while he's working on the myth and magic update.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 09:17:02 pm »

I still really wish I could play with the prototype myth generator shown off at GDC. I hope eventually a tarn will released a version of it for us to play with while he's working on the myth and magic update.
Ask him on FOTF. Just don't forget lime green text.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »

I did a while ago and he never responded.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2018, 11:42:49 pm »

I did a while ago and he never responded.
Did you use lime green text?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7