Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385263 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Divers gonna Dive.
« Reply #1110 on: September 28, 2018, 06:53:59 am »

"Perhaps we should re-examine the idols. I may attempt to mend the broken idol via Diving. Perhaps that will give us a hint. Oh, I won't be doing a large Dive, just a simple Balaram Udyne, to revert the idol to a previous, unbroken state. I will use but one or two levels of power for each. The Dive will trace four paths, with no more than two strengthenings of the spheres involved.

But before I decide to do that, let's explore our other options.
First, we can look more closely at the idols. I am going to do this right now.
Second, we can choose a path and all go down that one to see where it leads. We can do this with each path in turn until something changes.
Third, we could split up and explore paths in groups."

Relic Team

AsHul will Return to the idols. They are stylized geometric figurines representing demigods, correct? Any clues as to what each idol represents?
AsHul will take the broken idol in his hands and hold the pieces together as they would be if unbroken.

Spoiler: Vision Notes (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 28, 2018, 11:41:43 am »

Kalagony notices the Corven's scent after she enters the control room. After hearing her breathing heavily, he decides to try to talk with her.

"...Have you considered installing a mechanical arm to replace the one you lost?"

"Also, I... I was wondering if you... I mean... Uh... Would you mind if..."

He stops for a moment, trying to find the right words to explain what he wants.

"You know... I'm a martial arts master, but I have no disciples... I have been looking for someone to... I mean, I'm the only one left who... I know this might sound stupid and very sudden, but would you consider... Becoming my... Apprentice?"

Spoiler: Kalagony (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 28, 2018, 12:07:15 pm »

-snip-

"Yes, inspecting those idols again seems like a solid plan. If that doesn't give us any new information I would personally opt for everyone going in the same direction. It seems like a bad idea to split up too much in a place such as this."

Join Ashul and go take another look at those idols. See if I can figure out if those stylized geometric figures have any corrolation with the room and the 5 hallways we saw.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:12:57 pm by Pancaek »

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 28, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »

"The one time I didn't loot the ancient relic... Ah well.  I'll stay here and keep a eye on the tunnels, see if anything changes when you guys are moving the idols about."

Wait and watch the tunnels in case repairing the idol has some effect.

Spoiler: Schitter (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1114 on: September 28, 2018, 05:46:09 pm »

Relic Vision

I would guess there was a sixth path... Hm. Perhaps it was not the correct one.

Mark the exit tunnel (the one we came from) in some visible way, using the pen/pencil I totally got when purchasing my journal.

Character Sheet
You use the butt end of your field lighter to scrape an X next to the door.

"Perhaps we should re-examine the idols. I may attempt to mend the broken idol via Diving. Perhaps that will give us a hint. Oh, I won't be doing a large Dive, just a simple Balaram Udyne, to revert the idol to a previous, unbroken state. I will use but one or two levels of power for each. The Dive will trace four paths, with no more than two strengthenings of the spheres involved.

But before I decide to do that, let's explore our other options.
First, we can look more closely at the idols. I am going to do this right now.
Second, we can choose a path and all go down that one to see where it leads. We can do this with each path in turn until something changes.
Third, we could split up and explore paths in groups."

Relic Team

AsHul will Return to the idols. They are stylized geometric figurines representing demigods, correct? Any clues as to what each idol represents?
AsHul will take the broken idol in his hands and hold the pieces together as they would be if unbroken.

You have no idea what any of these idols represent. The true god has no demi-gods and though there are strange and powerful creatures in the world that some people do worship, none of these are an example of that. You do notice however that each has a weapon.

You pick up the broken idol and place it back together. It does sit in place, the two halves resting one atop the other, but the damage doesn't repair itself.

-snip-

"Yes, inspecting those idols again seems like a solid plan. If that doesn't give us any new information I would personally opt for everyone going in the same direction. It seems like a bad idea to split up too much in a place such as this."

Join Ashul and go take another look at those idols. See if I can figure out if those stylized geometric figures have any corrolation with the room and the 5 hallways we saw.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

[6] Its entirely possible...but also entirely possible there's no connection. The fact that 5 idols remain here and that there are 5 tunnels might be significant but....shouldn't there be 6 tunnels and a dead demigod at the end of one or something? Or a collapsed tunnel? You think about it for a few moments and then wonder if each tunnel also had the smoothed wall sections that the initial tunnel did.

"The one time I didn't loot the ancient relic... Ah well.  I'll stay here and keep a eye on the tunnels, see if anything changes when you guys are moving the idols about."

Wait and watch the tunnels in case repairing the idol has some effect.

Spoiler: Schitter (click to show/hide)
The tunnels remain quiet and empty beside the crackle of candles and the shuffling feet of your teammates.

Kara climbed the last part of the ladder to the control room, pulling herself up with her single arm, and rolled onto the floor.
"Phew. That was close." she said as she lay there on her back, taking a moment to catch her breath.
"I propose we just head into the God's Breath caverns. I don't want to risk getting trapped in an enclosed space with those things again. At least in there we'll hopefully be able to see further. From what I've heard there aren't any great beats that could hunt us in there, so the lights shouldn't attract too much attention."

Mark the Giant Ant Nest location on the map.

Do I know of any dangerous beasts that could be attracted to the bore's noise/lights in God's Breath caverns?
Could the ant nest have an exit there? Or is it too far away?

Either way, be on the lookout for anything interesting/dangerous.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
You walk over to the automap and carefully select the area the bore is currently in, marking it as "Giant Ants".

[5] Oh plenty. Just about any predator or curious beasty might be attracted to the noise of the bore, and to lesser extent its light. However, from what you know of the caverns, they're pretty heavily traveled by pilgrims so chances are that there are gonna be less creatures around, particularly near the entrance to the caverns.

Its possible that the next could exit in there...but probably unlikely. Its a fair distance and you're willing to bet that if the cavern was overrun with enormous ants you'd probably have heard about it. And the church probably would have sent an extermination team.

”er, what?”
check out what’s happening, then go back to hiding
Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

Right now, not a lot. Mostly travel. You sit down in a corner and wait to be useful.

Prepare to receive boarders!

Be ready to defend the Bore if anything gets through our hull.

Spoiler: Aigresaur (click to show/hide)
You sprint around the inside of the bore, shouting challenges and threats at unseen enemies and speaking in an exaggerated pirate voice. You spend a good while running in circles shouting "Me Hearty!", literally chasing your own shadow around the main shaft that runs through the bore's center.

Chat with the pilgrims.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You ask the pilgrims about their plans. They explain their desire to walk all the way down to Faith's Needle and then out to Eclipse. You can already tell from looking at them that they don't have the physical or supply fortitude to complete such a long trek.  You're pretty sure they'll either give up shortly after entering or die somewhere inside.

"At least they were reasonably easy to avoid riling up." Vikkan commented as he restarted the bore and took a look at the map. "Yes, trying to avoid these creatures' colony might turn into more of a problem than simply navigating the caverns."

Down, towards the caverns and our objective. Unless I and paris missed something and that'd be stupid.

You navigate the bore straight down, drilling towards the cavern marked on the map. After a few hours the Bore comes to an automatic stop again as it punctures into open air.  According to the Map you're at the caverns.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 28, 2018, 05:57:32 pm »

Huh. How committed do they seem to making it the whole way?

How would they be likely to die? Like dehydration/starvation, or from dangerous situations?

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 29, 2018, 02:12:51 am »

Find out what's going on out there... Maybe peek through a window or somehing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2018, 09:13:36 am »

Kalagony notices the Corven's scent after she enters the control room. After hearing her breathing heavily, he decides to try to talk with her.

"...Have you considered installing a mechanical arm to replace the one you lost?"
"Hah! If I had a fathom for every time someone asked me that." she said bitterly.
The question still annoyed her. Every reminder of her weakness annoyed her. So she tried not to think about it. To avoid reminding herself. Being confronted felt like an attack, like someone forced her to admit her failure. She'd started getting used to it, learning how to hide her emotions about it better, but she wasn't fine with it yet, not by a long shot.
"I lost it in a sacrifice. And it's common knowledge that replacing sacrificed limbs tends to end badly. I don't know exactly what happens, but I've heard rumors, so..."
She shrugged.
"If I couldn't live without it, then maybe I'd risk it. But maybe I'm too stubborn. Or maybe not desperate enough. Until then..."

"Also, I... I was wondering if you... I mean... Uh... Would you mind if..."

He stops for a moment, trying to find the right words to explain what he wants.

"You know... I'm a martial arts master, but I have no disciples... I have been looking for someone to... I mean, I'm the only one left who... I know this might sound stupid and very sudden, but would you consider... Becoming my... Apprentice?"
"Wuh?"
Kara looked at him with bewilderment, trying to process what he had just said.
"You mean..." she turned her head to look at him with one eye, looking a bit more closely as if trying to read his expression.
"Heh. Haha." she clicked her beak in tentative joy, like a shy smile, but before long the feeling grew too great and she was unable to hold it back. So she exploded.
"HAHAHAHA!" Kara cawed loudly, closing her eyes and doubling over in laughter.
"Oh my- haha -that was a good one. Heh. Almost had me there for a second. And they say mole people have no sense of humor!" she managed to say once she was able to suppress her laughter.
"I mean really, could you imagine?" she asked rhetorically as she got to her feet.
"'The legendary one armed Corven wrestler!'" she said in the tone of voice a storyteller would use to tell a group of children about a hero.
"'The brave hero of legend that can take down her enemies in a single punch! None can stand before her!'" she continued, standing in a heroic pose with her arm raised above her head, flexing her almost non-existent muscles. She stood there for a moment, looking all serious, before she broke down and started laughing again.
"Haha! Thanks. Hadn't laughed like that in ages."
She made a motion to pat him in the shoulder before turning to walk away, wiping the tears away from her eyes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:08:51 am by Parisbre56 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2018, 11:37:14 am »

[...]
Cara, who was nearby Kara's area, decided this time would be great to speak up.

"May I help?"

Ok since I need stuffs to commit to stuffs, can I find any stuffs laying about that I can acquire for armor tinkering (or giving to others for doing that?)
Spoiler: Sheet (Honored Dead) (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 29, 2018, 12:59:03 pm »

"So, Ashul, I've been thinking. Not very well, mind you, since I can't make heads or tails about these idols. But if these idols have something to do with the hallways, shouldn't there be a sixth one somewhere?

And perhaps a more useful little thought I've had: When going to the room with the hallways, the tunnel we went through had a smoothed bit along the wall from where people perhaps touched it when walking down it. Perhaps we can look for similar smoothed bits to see which of the five hallways was travelled most?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:51 pm »

"So, Ashul, I've been thinking. Not very well, mind you, since I can't make heads or tails about these idols. But if these idols have something to do with the hallways, shouldn't there be a sixth one somewhere?

And perhaps a more useful little thought I've had: When going to the room with the hallways, the tunnel we went through had a smoothed bit along the wall from where people perhaps touched it when walking down it. Perhaps we can look for similar smoothed bits to see which of the five hallways was travelled most?"

"A sixth one? But there is a sixth one, right here." AsHul gestures absently at teh broken idol in his hand, looking up at Clate with a ... well, perhaps the expression he is attempting is a frown. Hard to say really.

"I did notice the smoothed section on the walls. That's a good insight. Let's check it out."
AsHul pauses, glancing at the path into the mountain a moment before turning suddenly again to face Clate.

"Oh! You mean a sixth tunnel! Ah hah hah. Of course, that would make more sense, wouldn't it? Well, perhaps the tunnels were built specifically for the five beings. Perhaps there is some history here concerning the breaking of this idol - or the death of the being this idol represents, such that no tunnel was to be dedicated to them. Or perhaps the cairn at the start of our vision is the symbolic resting place of that being. Then again, perhaps that tunnel was sealed or hidden when this idol was broken. THere are many possible explanations. We would do well, I think, to keep them in mind as we explore."

"Well, as you say, sticking together seems more wise to me as well. Shall we head in and see what we can discover?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 29, 2018, 03:59:08 pm »

"So, we can either go down into the caverns and leg it from there for the last stretch, or we can start drilling sideways from here until we hit the entrance, it's only a little bit further from here. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle either way."

Can we do some price checks for bore upgrades while during the journey? If yes, could I get a price for the following things please:
-diving vault
-quarantine
-bore armor (what exactly would this entail?)
-bio lab

Secondly, could you give some of the 'standard' options there are in terms of bore weapons? Cannons and the like. 

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 29, 2018, 07:02:54 pm »

Relic Team

Leave the broken idol and the others behind, and take the team back in to the circular room. Check each tunnel for the smooth marks like those in the first tunnel. If one tunnel is clearly more frequented than the others, head dow that one, preferably with the whole team.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1123 on: September 29, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »

Let's try a sideways, theoretically safer, path to our objective.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1124 on: September 30, 2018, 05:38:23 am »

[11:53 PM] parisbre56: Would I be able to lift a rifle and fire it with my own strength?
[11:53 PM] parisbre56: If yes, then I don't need to tinker
[11:56 PM] Mr.Bones: So not a gauntlet but like a....whole arm thingy to stabalize the arm for shooting
[11:58 PM] Mr.Bones: Ok.  Well....there are a few ways to do this
[11:58 PM] Mr.Bones: most simple is a ratcheting armbrace
[12:03 AM] Mr.Bones: Arm brace would just be like one of those leg braces with hinges to allow movement. And when you wanted to steady it you could push a button to lock the joints in place
[12:04 AM] Mr.Bones: Maybe rig it up to a two phase trigger so that the joints only lock when you squeeze the trigger a bit and then fire when you squeeze it the rest of the way

Go to the workshop and start planning this rifle modification.

If possible I want it to be detachable or maybe have some mechanism that lets me put it on my back, in case I want to use my arm for something else. Maybe some switch I flip with my beak?

Should I use materials from the mechanical arm to do it or would it be wasteful/difficult? Is it better to just take raw materials and build it?

If there would be are any parts leftover from the mechanical arm, I'd also like to design a belt that would help me climb ropes. I'm imagining something like the batman's belt where I can put the rope in there and have it act as a break. Perhaps along with a hook or ring on my chest I can pass the rope through so I can stay upright. I can use it to keep me from falling while I use my arm to pull myself up (if I'm climbing up) or slow my fall to a safe speed (if I'm climbing down). Would this be useful or is it superfluous? Can I just use my legs and single arm to climb a rope just as well?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 231