Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 386058 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Tick Tock.
« Reply #1275 on: October 28, 2018, 12:19:28 pm »

Toss the lighter at the tree, or into the foliage, then... well, if the expanding ball of clockwork parts isn't growing too fast, stay back near the riflemen, and be ready to defend them.  If the clockwork stuff is growing fast enough to be a problem, return to the entrance, retrieve the murakumo, and then charge the guardian if it's visible, or the tree if it is not.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Divers gonna Dive.
« Reply #1276 on: October 28, 2018, 07:41:27 pm »

"Wait. Shouldn't we move the bore away before you try anything with it? At best, it might mutate anyone nearby into an Abomination."

Spoiler: Kalagony (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1277 on: November 03, 2018, 11:46:47 pm »

Post coming tomorrow/Monday, depending what time I get home tomorrow. Sorry about the wait.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 04, 2018, 05:34:09 pm »

Should probably get an action in then!

Stay the FUCK away from both the guardian and the new demonspawn thing. I'm a doktor, not a fighter. Let them do their thing. Maybe fire off a retreating shot and time flows backwards.

Character Sheet
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:07:08 pm by Gentlefish »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »

"Did it just throw away its weapon?" Auft asks, surprised but pleased. "This is wonderful news!" Oh, except then it came back on a chain. Oops!

"Well, this should be efficient then!"

Politely give That-Which-Was-Once-AsHul room to do things. Shoot at the locust if it goes for squishier members.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:08:45 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1280 on: November 04, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »

Regain control

Gonna need something better than  that.

Shoot the guardian again. Hold my fire if any of my teammates gets into my line of fire.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Charge at the guardian and try to hit it in the legs with my moon blade.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
"Did it just throw away its weapon?" Auft asks, surprised but pleased. "This is wonderful news!" Oh, except then it came back on a chain. Oops!

"Well, this should be efficient then!"

Politely give That-Which-Was-Once-AsHul room to do things. Shoot at the locust if it goes for squishier members.

[15][18][12]
Clate takes another potshot but it goes wide.  Alex charges in and brings his moon blade around in a hard slash at the creature's feet. The Guardian jumps up, avoids the blow, and kicks the handle of the weapon squarely, wrenching it from Alex's grip and sending it tumbling off. However, as the Guardian does this, it bends low, putting its head at a particular angle. An angle that, from Auft's perspective, puts it right behind Alex's left bicep and also right in the center of Auft's sights. She doesn't hesitate.  The shot goes clean through Alex's arm, missing the bone, and strikes the Guardian dead center of the mask. The mask crunches inward as though hit with a sledgehammer. The guardian jerks straight, bluish ichor leaking through the cracks of the mask, and takes two spasmotic steps back before collapsing.

Toss the lighter at the tree, or into the foliage, then... well, if the expanding ball of clockwork parts isn't growing too fast, stay back near the riflemen, and be ready to defend them.  If the clockwork stuff is growing fast enough to be a problem, return to the entrance, retrieve the murakumo, and then charge the guardian if it's visible, or the tree if it is not.

You toss the lighter into the tree and once again it goes up like flash paper.  You look and, seeing that the Guardian is dead, decide to go grab your Murokumo.

The flow of time reaches its end point again and then begins to flow backwards. After a few seconds the tree unburns, just as it did before, though missing the chunk of bark from before. And, moments after the tree has returned, the guardian rises up in high speed reverse, its face popping back out into its unharmed form before leaping in reverse up into the tree.

No sooner has this happened than the cocoon of mechanical nightmares cracks open with a shriek of metal and something vaguely resembling Ashul steps out. He appears to be little more than a complex clockwork automaton, his mechanical innards mostly shielded from view by plates of metal, not unlike an insect's chitin. His clockwork eyes have been replaced by bulging iridescent lenses and dozens of rocket verniers in recessed pockets along his shell flex and pulse exploratory bursts of exhaust. With a newly minted 6 finger hand he reaches down and plucks the crescent moon staff off the ground where it fell.  He looks at it for a moment before shifting his grip slightly and then swinging it hard. A crescent shaped blade of brilliant emerald light lashes out of the staff and spins off into the trunk of the tree. It cuts through without a pause and the entire tree groans and begins to topple over.

"A word of God? Are you sure? Really sure?" Vikkan wasn't an intellectual, but he was religious enough to be astounded by the find. "If it's true then this... this..."

Retreat a little more if necessary. Try to remember anything useful about the word of god.
Words of GOD are supposedly connected to the creation of the world but...if you remember right they're also connected to the presence of Messengers.

"...Well, now that we know what is it, we should stay as far away as possible. Aren't all Saints just cthonics who died after interacting with their god?"

Do I, as a mole man, recognize the symbol?

[10]
No, you don't. You've never seen or heard of it.

Kara found the floating symbol to be cool looking but was not terribly impressed by it. Perhaps because she didn't really know what a word of God is exactly. So for now she works with what she does know.
"We should remain cautious. You said it yourself. These sort of things normally don't appear in this area. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe something has changed in the surrounding area, a new messenger path perhaps. Or it could be that this is just a trap looking to lure and distract those of the Cthonic faith. After all, the church isn't the only organization that employs divers that could create such illusions. Golden Rule 9: What's shiny is not always valuable."
She checked the bore's surroundings, trusting the others to know what to actually do with that thing. And hopefully explain that to her.
"What do you do with that thing anyway? Do you... collect it somehow? Or somehow put it into your body? Because it reminds me some of those tattoos you sometimes see on mole people."

Scan the area for other people, traps, ambushes, hiding spots, that sort of thing. We need to make sure this isn't a trap.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[2]
You look around the tunnel carefully. There's no sign of anyone, not even normal pilgrims or other people on the move. The tunnel for as far as you can see in either direction is empty.

go to a window! Draw that sigil!
”What’s happening? Why’d we stop?”
Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
You go to the window and, by pressing a piece of vellum on the window and tracing the light that comes through, draw an accurate copy of the symbol.

[4] You look at the thing for a moment and you're  about to open your black book when you realize what it is. You drop the book in shock and immediately grab Kara by the shoulder as she starts to leave the cockpit.

"Thats a word of GOD!" You shout, pointing at the thing, "A remnant of creation itself, echo of the words which made the universe."  You press your hands up against the cockpit window. "That is power beyond mortal ken. The sort of thing that makes a Saint.  But they're never seen outside the depths of divine tombs...why is it here?"

Try to remember whatever I know about these things. How is one supposed to interact with these?

Try to figure out how I could get near to the floating sigil, preferably without having to bring the bore itself extremely close. Perhaps we could angle to bore a little and then use the freight elevator to get closer?

Also pick my black book back up. I mean c'mon Adam, have some respect, sheesh.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

[11]
You start trying to figure out how to reach the thing but as you talk to the other people around you about ideas, you quickly find something out: Everyone sees the word in a different size. Some people see it as roughly man sized, others as far larger. Its always in the same central location but the size is either expanded or not.  If its as big as the largest estimate then you could go out and jump and slap the bottom of it. However if you go by the smallest you'd need to get a good 10 or more meters in the air.

This complicates matters somewhat. Regardless though, the easiest method to reach it, if only brief contact matters, is to attach a piton on the ceiling and then have someone swing from the bore into the Word. Like this the bore can remain a while away.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Showdown.
« Reply #1281 on: November 05, 2018, 12:42:37 am »

Communicate with my invader. Attempt to discern it's goal and if some kind of non-violent resolution is possible. Meanwhile consider AsHul's options regarding more aggressive resistance as in the spoiler:

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1282 on: November 05, 2018, 02:18:42 am »

"You can always use the winch if you're certain you want to reach out. 300 feet of rope should be enough."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 05, 2018, 03:08:02 am »

Auft makes cute little sad trilling sounds.

"Sorry Alex, almost had him."

Treat Alex's arm while Machine Beetle deals with the locust. Have thug screen us.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1284 on: November 05, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »

"I'm alright, just don't make a habit out of it."

Observe Cyber-AsHul and how he's wielding the moon blade.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 05, 2018, 05:24:08 pm »

"That thing... I'm almost certain it's dangerous. Are you sure about this, Human? What if something goes wrong?"

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 05, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »

DO THIS THING I DIDN'T END UP DOING LAST TURN

Should probably get an action in then!

Stay the FUCK away from both the guardian and the new demonspawn thing. I'm a doktor, not a fighter. Let them do their thing. Maybe fire off a retreating shot as time flows backwards.

Character Sheet

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 06, 2018, 05:32:20 pm »

"That thing... I'm almost certain it's dangerous. Are you sure about this, Human? What if something goes wrong?"

"Am I certain that it is without danger? No, I cannot in good conscience say there is no risk whatsoever involved when interacting with what appears to be an echo from creation. But based on what I know of this entity I think the risk is acceptable, and I am willing to take said risk on myself to figure out what it is doing here. Of course I wouldn't want to expose anyone else to any avoidable danger, so if you can help us find a way for me to get closer while keeping the bore away that'd help a lot."

"You can always use the winch if you're certain you want to reach out. 300 feet of rope should be enough."
"Yeah, good point, but that leaves open the question of how to get close enough to that thing, preferably without swinging across half the cave? I'm a mystic not an acrobat!"

Could we fashion a simple ladder that could reach up to the 'core' of the word with what we have on hand on the bore right now?

For the piton swinging idea, I take it that would involved a dex roll not to comically smack into a wall somewhere? Would attaching the piton to the ceiling close to the thing, then having the bore back away so I can lower myself to the vicinity of the symbol be an option?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1288 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:39 pm »

"I'm not enlightened enough to risk interacting with it." Vikkan commented.

And how are they connected to the messengers? Do they protect the Words or something else?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1289 on: November 08, 2018, 01:07:33 pm »

Do I know what messengers are and what they do? Are they dangerous to be near? Would I spot or sense one if it was nearby or coming this way?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 231