Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 386137 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1425 on: December 14, 2018, 04:35:37 pm »

Hmm... Are there any unattended artifacts or other valuables around that might be "misplaced" in all the darkness and confusion?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1426 on: December 14, 2018, 05:26:20 pm »

Cuddle. Make the cuddlees happy. Get off Wiellste and find a more willing cuddlee?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You move from Wi...Wee...mothyboi over to Vikkan. He doesn't threaten to shoot you. At least not immediately.

"P-please stop that. You make me uncomfortable."

Pull out my revolver and press the end of the barrel into the shang-gei's neck, where the chainmail doesn't protect. If it does not desist, pull the trigger. Repeat until it gets off of me or becomes inanimate, whichever comes first.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
The lizard gets off you and finds someone else to molest.

"Any ideas?"

In case no good ideas are forthcoming, see if bigger rocks can be dug out and put behind the wall of rocks as supports for the whole thing or if other smaller walls can be created to further slow the lava flow. Remember to stay on the correct side and skedaddle away with enough time to escape before the lava hits, though.
[17] You've got fucking nothing.

[13] You keep trying your plan, stacking rocks as best you can and attempting to put big ones on the bottom and back to keep the wall from collapsing. You're in the middle of nudging another giant rock into place when you see something weird. The mouth of the tunnel is starting to glow, bands of prismatic light weaving themselves across it like spider webs. Someone or someones are diving and putting some sort of effect on the tunnel.

Hmm... Are there any unattended artifacts or other valuables around that might be "misplaced" in all the darkness and confusion?

[17]
You look around a bit. Most of the shelves are covered in that same woven glow but there are a few tables with artifacts on them, clearly taken out by other patrons before this. These don't seem to be shielded so you think you might be able to pocket one.

Consume Worm's Blood and Silent Night.

Telzach x 5 Balaram x 5 Udyne x 5
6 path, 15 reinforce.
3 final rolls.

Restore body to wholeness. preferably even removing the dent in the chestplate, but focusing on function.

One 20 in there so -1 nerve. On to the others.... [12,2,1]

You let yourself sink back to the ground and breathe out slowly before sucking in a deep breath and closing your eyes. You think back to how your body was immediately after regaining control of it and concentrate on that before diving. You pop back into reality to a rather unpleasant wet and metallic CRACK! and open your eyes. You're still laying on the ground but you have a good view of your left arm, which is all shiny, new and most importantly still attached.  You get up and look yourself over. You appear to be fully restored.  Neat.

Get up and keep shooting.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

[20]
You drop your gun and it rolls off down the path. This is honestly just getting a bit sad.

Shoot the bird. If possible, wait for a good shot; if I can't hit it somewhere important it might not be worth hitting at all.

[5]
You drop down onto one knee and carefully aim at the bird, ignoring its thrashing and squawking and general noise making, staying upright through the gusts of wind and shaking until you get just the right shot. The sights line up on one of its big glowing eyes and you fire. The bird screams out in obvious pain and jerks its head around, one of its glowing eyes now releasing flickering red light.

Eventually, Nyw will stop rolling horribly.  GET BACK UP AND ATTACK AGAIN.  Sever the head, or the foot that the hatchet is embedded into.  Whichever is opportune.

You roll up off the moth and sprint back up towards the dazed giant avian. Seeing an opportunity, you toss the staff back to Alex and throw yourself bodily onto the haft of the embedded ax. You tear it free as the bird reels from the injury Auft gave it. [8] You take the ax and swing it around your head a few times, building up speed and force and then bring it down with all the force yo can muster on the bird's foot. You don't sever it like you would have liked, but the blow cuts deep enough that two out of the four clawed toes fall free with a crunch of shattering stone.

The bird has apparently had enough of this and, limping, hops twice and then with a earth shattering gust of wind takes flight.  It flaps three more times, gaining altitude, before banking hard and disappearing behind the mountain.

"I'm sorry, I'm not a very good fighter!"

Follow Drett to (hopefully) relative safety. Try to unjam my gun.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Get out from under Nyw AND RUN FOR SAFETY (This means inside). Then fire another shot if I can get one lined up in time. That leaves me one left for myself

Character Sheet
You both walk out into the open, Clate absentmindedly clearing the jam in his rifle.

"Well...that was a thing wasn't it?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 15, 2018, 11:54:41 am »

"Everyone!  Run for cover!  It is doubtful that the monster will stay away!

Grab whoever is unable or unwilling to run for cover, and carry them into the building.  Auft's thug counts, though the dude doesn't sound long for this world.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1428 on: December 15, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »

"I doubt it will return that quickly, considering it got shot in the eye and lost some toes. Let's just go and find the next guardian already."

Retrieve my rifle and continue following the group.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Showdown.
« Reply #1429 on: December 15, 2018, 01:35:44 pm »

"I underestimated the strictness of the discipline God bestows upon those who seek Him, and those who are called His children."

Arise and enter the building, assisting Nyw in the hauling of teammates, including Iron Teeth.

Examine the interior of the building carefully, alert for hostiles and dangers. Block any sudden attacks, preferably by grappling the assailant.
If it is safe to do so, (no immediate threats)

Telazch x3 Udyne x3 on Iron Teeth to restore him to some semblance of health.
4 path, 6 reinforce, 2 final rolls.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 15, 2018, 04:19:11 pm »

"Poor thug. Why does every specimen I collect end up brutally murdered? Such a coincidence, such a coincidence."

To the building!

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1431 on: December 16, 2018, 09:48:59 am »

1. Search for something matching the description of what ate my arm, that black tentacled shluck-like thing, as well as the snowy environment it resided in and the singing beings that lived in it. Knowledge is the first step to conquering your fear.

2. Search for true stories about legendary explorers and pioneers. Do such figures exist? Who are they usually aligned with? Or do they work well with all parties? Anybody in particular that stands out? It's good to have something to aspire to.

3. Are the maps of the molten heart accurate or just projections? If they are accurate, who was the brave explorer that mapped it? If they are projections, could the heart be even larger or go even deeper?

4. I know it's a long shot, but search for mention of a Gemstone People ruin near the molten heart. Maybe someone already discovered it but didn't bother facing its security because they didn't know how important it was.

5. What about mentions of the Weapon itself?

6. What about gemstone people maps? Do they exist? Are any in the archive?

7. Search for mention of Gemstone People military installations or communication hubs. Maybe those could hold clues to the location of the weapon or a record of their war with the starfish people or the reason for their race's disappearance.

8. Search for mentions of the material used in the Gemstone People ruins. Is this a naturally occurring material or something the Gemstone People created? Are there any known or suspected ways of getting more of it? If we had access to such a material, we could sell it to make the operation of the molten path much cheaper or even armor our bore to allow it to better survive high temperatures.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 16, 2018, 11:09:13 am »

Inspire the Vikkan Bore driver. Make them feel clever and loved.

Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 16, 2018, 11:48:34 am »

"Any ideas?"

In case no good ideas are forthcoming, see if bigger rocks can be dug out and put behind the wall of rocks as supports for the whole thing or if other smaller walls can be created to further slow the lava flow. Remember to stay on the correct side and skedaddle away with enough time to escape before the lava hits, though.

If there is time, perhaps drilling out a small horizontal plateau into the side of the slope would help prevent the rocks from sliding off all the time? Alternatively, dig out a single very long rock chunk that is too high to slide off into the tunnel, after which the rest of the rocks already dug out can fill up the holes at the side.

Try to determine what kind of diving effect is being put on the tunnel.

Also, would drilling out a little 'plateau' into the side of the steep slope help to keep the stones in place, and is there still time for a plan like that? What about drilling out a single long rock chunk that is too long to slide off into the tunnel?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 16, 2018, 08:06:18 pm »

Be scared of the Lava. Ahhhh

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 17, 2018, 12:49:31 pm »

Bird is gone. Check on AsHul. Stay solidly in the middle of the group so as not to get eaten or killed immediately.

Drett Medizin, MD

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:42 pm »

Join Auft in going to the building.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1437 on: December 17, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »

Cael should post before I update this since he's in control of the bore and all.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1438 on: December 17, 2018, 04:27:03 pm »

"...Does anyone have any idea what that's supposed to be? When in doubt, I'll steer us to safety. I'm hoping Knot has already prepared at least a bit for the lava in case the wall doesn't hold properly."

Start plan "move away from weird fuckery and towards a safe spot". Try to remember whether Knot has some anti-lava or anti-horrible death measures they can trigger.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1439 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »

"Everyone!  Run for cover!  It is doubtful that the monster will stay away!

Grab whoever is unable or unwilling to run for cover, and carry them into the building.  Auft's thug counts, though the dude doesn't sound long for this world.

"I doubt it will return that quickly, considering it got shot in the eye and lost some toes. Let's just go and find the next guardian already."

Retrieve my rifle and continue following the group.
Bird is gone. Check on AsHul. Stay solidly in the middle of the group so as not to get eaten or killed immediately.

Drett Medizin, MD
Join Auft in going to the building.

"I underestimated the strictness of the discipline God bestows upon those who seek Him, and those who are called His children."

Arise and enter the building, assisting Nyw in the hauling of teammates, including Iron Teeth.

Examine the interior of the building carefully, alert for hostiles and dangers. Block any sudden attacks, preferably by grappling the assailant.
If it is safe to do so, (no immediate threats)

Telazch x3 Udyne x3 on Iron Teeth to restore him to some semblance of health.
4 path, 6 reinforce, 2 final rolls.

Everyone either walks into the building or gets dragged there bodily by the mildly annoyed zombie and clockwork man.  And before I describe what its like in here, lets do Ashul's action to see if we have something more...pressing to worry about. Probably not, he's still drugged to the goddamn gills....yeah it passes.  Ironteeth is restored just about to normal, his limbs are sort of less muscled then before, at least the ones that were healed. Nothing huge, noticeable, but not huge.

Now, the building itself begins with a small arched hall with paintings of strange beings all along it; demons, insects, furry creatures, beasts and men. You recognize some as beasts that used to occupy the surface world, recorded in stories and images passed down. The stripped thing with bony feet, a tiger you think its called, and the big gray thing with bone spears and a face arm. What is it? A whale? No, a walrus! Thats it.  All of these things, and chimeric combinations of these things, are depicted.  Past the tunnel is a large circular room, its ceiling sporting a skylight so large there's really only a ceiling just around the outer most few feet of the room. Wooden pillars, painted in shockingly bright red, hold up what roof there is and are covered in hanging tassels and fabric in a rainbow of colors. The tassels are each held in place by a human skull, carefully scrimshawed and painted to somehow match the clashing spray of colors. The floor of the room is flagstones, with a metal grate in the shape of a stylized sun in the center. There are bodies lined up like the spokes of a wheel around that drain, each tightly wrapped in a woven blanket and adorned with beads, jewelry, and other objects of value or meaning. In particular, the on in the center has a pair of what appear to be prayer wheel maces lying crossed on its chest. Through the skylight you can see not the normal -well, normal for the dream- sky, but a sky of dark and stars with the black spot of a new moon hanging oddly menacingly directly above.  Black-gray feathers drift down through the skylight like a light snow, but somehow vanish before they can touch the ground.

"...Does anyone have any idea what that's supposed to be? When in doubt, I'll steer us to safety. I'm hoping Knot has already prepared at least a bit for the lava in case the wall doesn't hold properly."

Start plan "move away from weird fuckery and towards a safe spot". Try to remember whether Knot has some anti-lava or anti-horrible death measures they can trigger.
You quickly scuttle the bore out of the tunnel while trying to remember or guess what the heck is going on. [2] No, this makes sense. From what you know almost every city worth its salt is going to have contingency plans for disasters like this. Probably diving or mechanical in nature. Maybe both?  You'd have guessed mechanical from the Moths but....well, they're rather function before form so if it works it works.  Still, its a good thing that someone let them know about the situation or they'd probably have caught a faceful of lava before they could have got their defenses up.

Be scared of the Lava. Ahhhh
Ahhh. Much sarcasm. ahhhh. Oh no.

Inspire the Vikkan Bore driver. Make them feel clever and loved.

You pat vikkan on the head with your tongue.

"Any ideas?"

If there is time, perhaps drilling out a small horizontal plateau into the side of the slope would help prevent the rocks from sliding off all the time? Alternatively, dig out a single very long rock chunk that is too high to slide off into the tunnel, after which the rest of the rocks already dug out can fill up the holes at the side.

Try to determine what kind of diving effect is being put on the tunnel.

Also, would drilling out a little 'plateau' into the side of the steep slope help to keep the stones in place, and is there still time for a plan like that? What about drilling out a single long rock chunk that is too long to slide off into the tunnel?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
You turn your new vision on the thing and again can see less than nothing; a hole in space where the dive should be.
[12]
You're pretty sure though, just going by what you know of diving, that its some sort of force field. A shield against something. Judging by the form, the overlapping colored light threads, its probably multilayered and multi-functional. All purpose defense shield. And it extends a fair bit around the tunnel too.

A plateau would probably work, but if it would be doable in time you're not sure.

1. Search for something matching the description of what ate my arm, that black tentacled shluck-like thing, as well as the snowy environment it resided in and the singing beings that lived in it. Knowledge is the first step to conquering your fear.

2. Search for true stories about legendary explorers and pioneers. Do such figures exist? Who are they usually aligned with? Or do they work well with all parties? Anybody in particular that stands out? It's good to have something to aspire to.

3. Are the maps of the molten heart accurate or just projections? If they are accurate, who was the brave explorer that mapped it? If they are projections, could the heart be even larger or go even deeper?

4. I know it's a long shot, but search for mention of a Gemstone People ruin near the molten heart. Maybe someone already discovered it but didn't bother facing its security because they didn't know how important it was.

5. What about mentions of the Weapon itself?

6. What about gemstone people maps? Do they exist? Are any in the archive?

7. Search for mention of Gemstone People military installations or communication hubs. Maybe those could hold clues to the location of the weapon or a record of their war with the starfish people or the reason for their race's disappearance.

8. Search for mentions of the material used in the Gemstone People ruins. Is this a naturally occurring material or something the Gemstone People created? Are there any known or suspected ways of getting more of it? If we had access to such a material, we could sell it to make the operation of the molten path much cheaper or even armor our bore to allow it to better survive high temperatures.

1. The thing has varying names but apparently its one of the monsters living in the valleys of retained memory in the sphere of Udyne. Singing was the cyclopean horse headed men who are the only civilized race.

2. True stories are difficult to parse. Many individuals exist but their exploits vary depending on account and depending on who is writing the account and the race and beliefs of both. Human and Ethral are most commonly depicted but considering they're the two races that have been generating documentation for  the longest, its not really surprising. However, you find that the seemingly best and most accurate documentation comes in the form of "Pilgrim's Logs". These are literally the logs of church explorers in their trips to the depths. Compared to second and third hand accounts that make up most of the stuff, these are frank, contemporaneous, and first hand accounts of events. The few that the Ethral have are copies and relate to particular incidents of note for them, but the church probably has countless thousands of these things in its libraries.

3. They are about half and half. Bore crews probed the areas with thermometers and pulled back at a certain temperature. Their locations at each point of return were tabulated and the approximate shape of the Heart projected using that data. Its possible there are errors.

4. Nothing, aside from a few mentions of a "Lost" structure noted to be referred to as "Protected"

5.  Nothing.

6. There's nothing here, but you find reference to a large plate map in the Eastern Archive.

7.  Everything you find is pretty vague and doesn't provide any solid details or real world connections you can go off of.

8. According to chemical analysis done by Ethral geologists, it is a sort of crystalline cobalt though with a crystal matrix unseen in nature. Though the material is natural, the form it takes isn't so it must have been specially grown or molded. It can be replicated to a degree  by mixing samples of it in with molten cobalt, though the result isn't quite the same.

10 minutes till lava fall.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 231