Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384223 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1665 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:51 am »

Get back on the Bore ASAP
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Done, butter buns.

(consider it fueled as long as the money gets take out from somewhere.)
Done.

They seem to be about a meter and a half on all sides. There are 16 of them. The cost of rope you find locally is 100 feet for 4 fathoms.
Does it seem like tying rope around the boxes (all around so a 'cross' of rope is on every side) would add much in terms of containing whatever is inside, or do the boxes seem sturdy enough that some extra rope wouldn't help much? And can I see any sort of release or opening mechanism?

Also, is this city connected to the landline communications network? If yes, could we contact the guy who hired us?

@Radio Controlled: "Sorry for saying those things to you and about humans in general, but I wanted them to keep thinking that I'm in charge, that I'm fine with the situation and that you didn't matter. Didn't want them thinking we were a threat. I'm sure you realize that, right?"
"So, what exactly did you see? And what do you think we should do about this?"

"No offense taken, given the circumstances. But don't do that again. Right now I think we should first ensure they won't be a threat to us and that we aren't getting ourselves into massive trouble ferrying these, which means finding out what the hell exactly we're dealing with. These corpses have diving upon them, but I can't say what exactly. We could open one up and take a closer look, but that's not something to be done lightly, I'm sure you all understand.

I'm also gonna look into contacting the man with whom I negotiated this deal, see if that teaches us anything. And maybe see if we can up the pay he owes us, since this isn't what we signed up for at all."

"Oh, and by the way,"
he added, turning to Vikkan, "Got someone to refuel the bore for us. Is she good to go otherwise? If we need any maintenance done now would be a good time, before we set off again."

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
Honestly if the welded metal won't contain them you feel like a few lengths of rope aren't gonna do much.  You check over the boxes  but can see no sort of hidden latch or handle or anything that would allow the box to open. It really seems like they've sealed them in as well as possible.

You check the landline connections but get an automated message that the connection to basically the entirety of the western side of the map has been cut off thanks to what they're calling "Unforeseen geological interference."

Do I know of any monsters or other bad things that are attracted to necromancy or diving? Or could the corpses cause effects related to their sphere to manifest, similar to how objects retrieved from dives do? I mean, could it be that we could face danger not from the corpses themselves but whatever follows them?

Then it's time to go shopping! First up, how much for some good quality, beautiful yet functional clothes, something fit for a Corven mercenary?

Second, is there something that could help protect from diving effects? I mean something that really works, not useless charms and trinkets they sell to trick gullible superstitious people.

Third, if I wanted something like a slave trap but more deadly, would it still be 10 fathoms?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[6]
Its possible that these things could draw bad stuff in. If they draw sphere manifestations depends on their nature but its possible. And its possible that something else could be looking for them...but that's such a wide category of possibilities that narrowing it down without extra info is hard.

A full set of high quality, custom fitted, effectively showoffy clothing can cost between 20 and 50 fathoms depending on what materials are being used. Glass gems instead of real ones, gold plating instead of solid, that sort of thing.

The general method, so far as you know, involves diving to produce a sort of interference field that prevents resonance between similar plane objects. Its used by the church in places with a ton of diving artifacts or effects.  You're not sure if they sell it as a premade object of some kind, but they might.

Like a normal beartrap? 6 fathoms since it doesn't need to be designed as carefully.

"Allright, just be ready if anything happens."

Calmly approach the creature in a non-threatening manner.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Allow Alex to go forward, he's prooobably less intimidsting than a giant man in plate armor.  But do be ready to charge forward and yank him back if bad things start happening, and to attack the lizard thing.  Preferably both simultaneously, but getting Alex out of danger would take priority.

Observe for now, staying behind Nyw. Be ready to dive for cover should the thing come charging my way.

((I'd add a clause to shoot if it attacks, but we're all a bit bunched up so I don't think that's the best idea right now.))

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Ready to assist Nyw in pacification efforts. Mostly, AsHul will attempt to tackle the creature if it attacks physically. If it responds in a different way, AsHul will either remain where he is or make a dash for the lived in room that's next in the chain, depending on how obviously dangerous the act is. (i.e, if it starts screeching, he might stay where he is. if it shots tendrils of pitch black out into the room, accompanied by the screams of the damned, he'll dive for it))

Alex carefully approaches  the creature, moving very slowly. The creature shifts its attention away from Ashul and to Alex, remaining still except for its eyes. Alex approaches right up to the edge of the room, without stepping into the "show" room that the creature is in. He's only about a foot from it now but it hasn't moved or reacted. Everyone behind him stands at the ready, practically on their toes, ready to dive head long into the fray and aid Alex. Well, everyone but Clate.

"Should I...stick my hand into the room or something?" Alex asks, looking back at the rest of the group. "It seems docile till now but...I have a feeling that might change..."

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 19, 2019, 01:59:58 pm »

Explain to my fellows what is going on with my new eye gizmo. Try to see if I can remember anything that might explain what this thing is.
(If any other players with good occult knoledge want to help with identification [or should I say, eye-dentification] I would appreciate it)

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »

"I am in favor of moving on, once again through the lived in rooms. But if you really want to poke the unknown probably voraciously hostile son of the sixth guardian, I will be most interested to see what happens."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 19, 2019, 04:43:21 pm »

"I agree, if we can leave the creature without interacting with it, that is for the best.  Alex, please stand back, I am more suited to testing its nerves."

Grab one of the books, while holding the hatchet in the other hand.  Step forward until Nyw's in the front of the group, then toss the book past the creature, ready for it to attack.  If it still doesn't move, and there's enough room to easily go past it without touching it, try doing so, while expecting it to attack.  If there is no room, poke it with a non-pointy part of the hatchet, and then push it aside with a book if it doesn't react.

If at any time it attacks, respond in kind.  If it never attacks, and there's room to pass, gather the books up again and proceed past.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1669 on: February 20, 2019, 01:23:39 am »

"If it's just walking corpses, I think we could handle them fine without traps. But what if it creates a diving effect? Traps won't help at all if it kills us without leaving the boxes."

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1670 on: February 20, 2019, 03:08:37 am »

"I can understand feeling confident in your ability to fight, but I've read about how the honored dead can survive wounds that would kill other creatures and still move with almost no loss in their ability to fight. If these are even a tenth as durable as an honored dead, then they could very easily overwhelm us with numbers. Not to mention that if this is some sort of puppet spell instead of normal undead, then even removing the head or destroying the brain might not work, we might need to disable each individual body part."

"And I've considered the possibility of diving effects or them attracting something, but seeing as shielding from that requires diving and that would most likely involve the church or some expensive diver, I don't think we can acquire such protection. We're better off making some traps so that we have a first or last line of defense (depending on where the threat comes from). And if we make some remote explosive by combining the TNT and the bomb collars we can at least have a way to destroy them from a distance. Not to mention how helpful an explosive weapon could be against any large monsters."

"There's my plan anyway. I'm open to suggestions."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:12:26 am by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1671 on: February 20, 2019, 01:28:41 pm »

"Finishing the job means risking whatever these things might cause either through magic or problems chasing 'em, not doing it and getting rid of the corpses means we'll receive retaliation from whoever's rich and powerful enough to have set up this chain of events. Why can't things be easy?"

"No need for maintenance. We could use some preparing for trouble, since it seems our best shot is getting the job done, hopefully with an added bonus. Then again the employer might want us dead if we know too much. Who knows? I'll hole up in the control room to relax."
Vikkan twisted his mustache in a decidedly stressed way as he headed upstairs to the bore's control room.

Prepare for non-boring bore action, refuel if necessary, etc.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 21, 2019, 08:06:47 am »

"Oh, God below."

Shoo our tag-alongs into the next lived in room while Nyw pokes the dragon in the eye. remain in the current room, but at the passage to the next lived in room, ready to assist Nyw should his experiments prove disastrous.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 21, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »

I do not see why you wish to "test its limits" as it were, seeing as it is not currently hostile. Perhaps, like the last guardian, if we continue to follow its rules it will not attempt to bring ruination upon us.

Next room please. Also, is that lizardthing in the showroom, or in the threshold between?

Drett

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1674 on: February 21, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »

Well, I don't have occult knowledge but I have knowledge in general. Maybe I'll be able to help Harm? Hopefully this won't be a repeat of the arm incident. I don't want to be known for pecking my teammates' eyes out.

Also, this interference pattern thing sounds dangerous and/or expensive. Are there any ways to throw the otherworldly beasties off our magical scent, so to speak? Or a way to get a bad feeling when magic fuckery is about? Besides Adam's eyes I mean.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:22:20 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 22, 2019, 06:38:28 am »

Is there a way we could store the boxes so that in case of emergency we can easily and quickly jettison them out of the bore? Something like a plate with a motor to push up one end so it's diagonal and have the boxes slide out of the bore door perhaps?

[/quote]

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1676 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:40 am »

To the other room.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1677 on: February 22, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »

Is there a way we could store the boxes so that in case of emergency we can easily and quickly jettison them out of the bore? Something like a plate with a motor to push up one end so it's diagonal and have the boxes slide out of the bore door perhaps?

[/quote]
You don't have something like that now...about the best you could do is stack them near the door to the cargo hold so you could manually shove them out. But even then they're necessarily strapped into the floor and ceiling so you'd have to sever those ties before shoving them out. Though there's no reason you couldn't make or buy something to do this for you.

Explain to my fellows what is going on with my new eye gizmo. Try to see if I can remember anything that might explain what this thing is.
(If any other players with good occult knoledge want to help with identification [or should I say, eye-dentification] I would appreciate it)

Well, I don't have occult knowledge but I have knowledge in general. Maybe I'll be able to help Harm? Hopefully this won't be a repeat of the arm incident. I don't want to be known for pecking my teammates' eyes out.

Also, this interference pattern thing sounds dangerous and/or expensive. Are there any ways to throw the otherworldly beasties off our magical scent, so to speak? Or a way to get a bad feeling when magic fuckery is about? Besides Adam's eyes I mean.

[17]
Hmmm. No real idea but you advise him to try focusing on the objects more than trying to listen to the voices. Focus on the objects seems more related to the clarity of the voices, at least by how he described it.

A variety of diving based ways...and they say divers are more inclined to feel when something is going wrong or becoming dangerous...so maybe Adam should sit down here?

"Finishing the job means risking whatever these things might cause either through magic or problems chasing 'em, not doing it and getting rid of the corpses means we'll receive retaliation from whoever's rich and powerful enough to have set up this chain of events. Why can't things be easy?"

"No need for maintenance. We could use some preparing for trouble, since it seems our best shot is getting the job done, hopefully with an added bonus. Then again the employer might want us dead if we know too much. Who knows? I'll hole up in the control room to relax."
Vikkan twisted his mustache in a decidedly stressed way as he headed upstairs to the bore's control room.

Prepare for non-boring bore action, refuel if necessary, etc.
Refueling is done. At this point we're basically ready to go aside from this paranoia tax, so to speak.

"I agree, if we can leave the creature without interacting with it, that is for the best.  Alex, please stand back, I am more suited to testing its nerves."

Grab one of the books, while holding the hatchet in the other hand.  Step forward until Nyw's in the front of the group, then toss the book past the creature, ready for it to attack.  If it still doesn't move, and there's enough room to easily go past it without touching it, try doing so, while expecting it to attack.  If there is no room, poke it with a non-pointy part of the hatchet, and then push it aside with a book if it doesn't react.

If at any time it attacks, respond in kind.  If it never attacks, and there's room to pass, gather the books up again and proceed past.

You carefully push everyone behind you and then toss a book towards the creature, aiming to have it go spinning past the critter's head. The book flies out in a relatively gentle arc and the creature's hand blurs upwards. It catches the book without taking its eyes off you or moving in any other way.  Then, carefully, it lightly tosses the book back out so that it lands nice and flat in the lived in room.

To the other room.
I do not see why you wish to "test its limits" as it were, seeing as it is not currently hostile. Perhaps, like the last guardian, if we continue to follow its rules it will not attempt to bring ruination upon us.

Next room please. Also, is that lizardthing in the showroom, or in the threshold between?

Drett
(Showroom)
"Oh, God below."

Shoo our tag-alongs into the next lived in room while Nyw pokes the dragon in the eye. remain in the current room, but at the passage to the next lived in room, ready to assist Nyw should his experiments prove disastrous.

Ashul shoves everyone into the next room but stays behind to see what happens. He watches the entire exchange with intense concentration.  It seems to him as though that lizard has some sort of reverence for the book; it caught it and gently returned it. Not the actions of an animal at the very least.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1678 on: February 23, 2019, 03:41:15 pm »

Well, I suppose there's nothing left for us to do but head back.

Set up a watch schedule so there's at least one person watching the boxes (but preferably not in the same room as them) and one person watching the bore's surroundings at all times, if possible.

By the way, do I still feel my missing limb cold and numb and occasionally moving? Any changes?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:58:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 23, 2019, 08:17:06 pm »

Take out one of the glass bottles from my inventory and focus on it very intensely. Explain what happens as it's happening to somebody who knows occult, and get them to offer advise on what I should do.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 231