Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385311 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2100 on: July 19, 2019, 11:48:11 am »

"If you wish to attempt to do so, then yes please. However... Do be careful. I don't know if whatever lives in the golden veins will react to you using your ability on them. If you feel another presence there, please do not attempt to fight it. Just stop. I don't think it's the sort of thing one person can defeat on their own."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 19, 2019, 04:24:12 pm »

I shall be careful.

Try to use my crystal powers to make this big ass stone door open like it was designed to. If at any point I feel some kind of presence or similar take offense at this, stop immediately.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »

Stand back from the door. Be ready to engage anything that’s not friendly.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 20, 2019, 06:44:55 am »

Are there Chthonic prayers for this kind of situation? AsHul will intone one, if there are and he knows them. If the other efforts to open the door are null, AsHul will simply knock, unless there is a more religious way to do gain entry to a holy place.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 22, 2019, 06:58:46 am »

Honored Dead are 6.5 - 8.2 feet tall.  The heart is ten feet up.

If Kara needs help reaching the heart, Nyw will just pick her up by the waist and hold her as high as he can reach, the length of his arms plus her own height should easily reach ten feet up, and that's assuming Nyw is short for an HD.  If he's tall, he could grab the heart himself.

...Hell, try that, why not.  Reach up, grab the heart, pull.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2105 on: July 22, 2019, 09:03:38 am »

Stand guard, be ready to activate my moonblade if the saint is hostile.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:24 am »

Once again, into danger we go. I knew I would be getting into situations similar to this... It is much more intense than reading about it, however.

"Be careful, Kara. I hope to not have to see you lose another limb. You as well, Honored one. I have much experience working on cadavers, but the wounds would never close.

From my mothy studies, how much protocol do I know about dealing with True Saints? Adopt those protocols or else make myself as unhostile as possible.

Drett.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2107 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:45 pm »

Once again, into danger we go. I knew I would be getting into situations similar to this... It is much more intense than reading about it, however.

"Be careful, Kara. I hope to not have to see you lose another limb. You as well, Honored one. I have much experience working on cadavers, but the wounds would never close.

From my mothy studies, how much protocol do I know about dealing with True Saints? Adopt those protocols or else make myself as unhostile as possible.

Drett.
Are there Chthonic prayers for this kind of situation? AsHul will intone one, if there are and he knows them. If the other efforts to open the door are null, AsHul will simply knock, unless there is a more religious way to do gain entry to a holy place.

True saints are said to react not to outer action but to faith, or something else  entirely ineffable and internal. Most consider deference and utter respect to be the best way to approach but there have been men burnt alive from the inside out by contact with a saint even when they were on their knees and praying. Saints are...capricious, and the proper behavior around them is quite hard to guess.

The best bet would be to play things by ear once you get a better look at exactly what that saint is.

"Hmm... Clate, can you use your ability to strengthen things? Maybe make this rope sturdier? Or maybe get up there and hold the grappling hook in place?"

Try throwing my grappling hook on the heart. If I manage to get a secure hold, then tie the other end on some study part of the crawler and start very slowly pulling backwards.

If I can't get a hold secure enough to open the door and nobody else offers to do so, then use the grappling hook to get up there and manually secure multiple ropes in place. Multiple ropes should make it more likely for them to not break.

EDIT: Oh, wait! Unless I can use Crystal Friend to get up there. Can Crystal Friend climb any vertical surface? Or could it only do so in the crystal people ruins due to the special material the walls were made of?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Honored Dead are 6.5 - 8.2 feet tall.  The heart is ten feet up.

If Kara needs help reaching the heart, Nyw will just pick her up by the waist and hold her as high as he can reach, the length of his arms plus her own height should easily reach ten feet up, and that's assuming Nyw is short for an HD.  If he's tall, he could grab the heart himself.

...Hell, try that, why not.  Reach up, grab the heart, pull.

I shall be careful.

Try to use my crystal powers to make this big ass stone door open like it was designed to. If at any point I feel some kind of presence or similar take offense at this, stop immediately.

Through a combination of grappling hook, great height, and crystal magic the door is pulled open, though just enough to let people pass through. Even with the strength of an honored dead, the skill of a crystal being and the brute force of a half dozen men on a rope, the door is a struggle to get open even this far.

Beyond it is a room, lit by braziers that are embedded along the walls. Their flames have a definite golden glow to them that surpasses the light of normal fire and adds a sort of hazy glow to the room. The walls are carved with reliefs of battle, which slowly move and depict highly stylized images of violence. Who anyone in the images are is unknown, as even their clothing and general look is completely alien to the group. Along the walls and floor, piled like the treasure of kings, are swords. There are hundreds of them in crude piles or on dense racks or even bolted to the walls and floor, forming a path or coating of glittering edges.  The walls are seemingly solid gold instead of the simple veins seen before and the entire chamber has a glint that makes even the most pious man a bit greedy and desirous.

At the far end, sitting in a rather plain throne, is a human corpse. It appears to be male though it is heavily shrunken and the sort of deep brown that marks it as a quite ancient body. It looks almost like a skeleton wrapped in leather: its eyes are gone, as is its nose and lips, its mouth is slightly open in a sort of grin. One arm is sitting in his lap, the other is resting on the arm of the throne, raised up at the elbow with the fingers loosely splayed out. A white cloth has been draped over the corpse's lap, but otherwise it is naked.  There is a light in the corpse, one buried in the center of its chest and another within its head: you can see the light straight through the body's flesh, its ribs casting shadows across the white glow, like the metal frame of a lantern. Light pours from the eyes, nose and mouth, soft and constant. Hovering around the back of the corpse's head and upper body is a ring of lights, a halo or corona. At first the lights appear to be something like candle flames, but upon a closer look they are tiny swords made of flame. The entire ring of flaming blades turns slowly clockwise and it is the only movement in the room.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 22, 2019, 09:42:13 pm »

Approach and address the corpse: "Honored Saint, we have come to do homage and to recieve that which God would bestow upon us from your hand. How may we serve, that our path might lead to God?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:01 am »

Cautiously follow Ashul, an honored dead's arm's length behind.  Keep one hand ready to grab the abomination, and the other resting on the murakumo's hilt.  Not draw, but prepared to fight.  Scan the weapons that surround the area, for movement, hints of danger, anything.  And... check if there's any murakumos.

Warn the followers to stay back, for now.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 23, 2019, 11:31:56 am »

Follow along with the abom and try to show proper respect for the saint. I'm guessing wizard vision is useless here as well?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2111 on: July 23, 2019, 03:21:31 pm »

"Oooh... Shiny..."

Resist becoming entranced by the shiny room. Resist looting the weapons for now. Consider the probability that this is a sort of "Forbidden Fruit" situation. Search for any wall depictions (or suspicious stains, though I think we're the first ones here) that could corroborate this theory.

Do the weapons depicted on the wall match any of the weapons available here? Spot the most effective/powerful looking sword, the most exotic looking sword and the most expensive looking sword as future looting targets.

Also set up my rifle and target the corpse. Mostly to get a closer look at it through the scope, I don't think bullets have a very high chance of causing this thing any harm.

((It would probably be better to focus my archeology on the lore of this corpse, but... Loot!))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 24, 2019, 01:48:54 pm »

Clate is going to hang back near the door, standing very very still like your run-of-the-mill garden variety hunk of crystal that isn't worth paying attention to. Observe the interactions of the others with the saint.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2113 on: July 25, 2019, 09:21:15 am »

Follow along with the abom and try to show proper respect for the saint. I'm guessing wizard vision is useless here as well?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
Wizard eyes are completely useless here. In fact, judging by that vision, this entire room does not exist.

The group slowly advances in, Ashul in the lead.  Kata scans the room, looking at the engravings on the wall and comparing them to the various weapons around the room, searching for a pattern. She finds no pattern between the weapons of the strange people and the offerings -if thats what they are?- scattered around the room. She does however notice that the eyes of the depicted people are all watching the group, slowly tracing their movement across the room. While the majority of the weapons here appear to be rather standard, there are several scattered around that seem to be quiet special, perhaps even artifacts unto themselves. Kara counts 8 of them and carefully memorizes their location for possible later looting.

Ashul approaches and says a few quick lines of introduction and deference to the corpse. At first nothing happens but then, as he gets closer the lights in the Saint's  eyes seem to go from an ambient glow to a focused beam that falls upon Ashul.
[Faith:11]
For a frighteningly long time the light seems to linger on Ashul, a warm but at the same time arresting feeling, comforting yet dangerous. And then it softens back out and the light dissipates. One of the flame blades from the corpse's halo breaks free and floats over to Ashul, coming to a halt just above his head and hovering there.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2114 on: July 25, 2019, 11:15:38 am »

"Umm... Maybe we should leave a sword as an offering?"

Be ready to shoot the sword thing if things turn violent.
If things turn violent, grab one of the exotic swords and run away.

Otherwise, wait for the team to complete its business here.

Try to remember if I've seen this guy or someone like him amongst the saint statues in the road that leads to Empyrean. Or if I've heard any stories about anything relevant.

Try to remember if the scenes of combat match any of the above-ground lore depicted on the road that leads to Empyrean. Or the honored dead. Or anything in general.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 231