Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384534 times)

Hotfire90

Re: DIG: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #2415 on: November 13, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »

"Ok, so the bore isn't going to move anytime soon, not until we repair the damage the dive has caused. We're lucky that the dive has been contained so quickly, and that we were in town of course. Anyway the dive did a real number on the bore, strongly compromising the structural integrity to such a degree that there is a high risk of the bore tearing itself apart if we were to move it.

I'll go head into town and find someone who will do the repair, and maybe find some jobs to do while we're waiting for the repairs to be done."

Head into town to find a mechanic who will repair the bore, try to negotiate a discount while I'm at it.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 14, 2019, 07:27:37 am »

Nyw nods along as Ashul lays out his ideas.  "All good ideas, though I think the fragments are best left with you and Adam, rather than merely 'on the bore'.  You two are both capable of defending them, and are the only ones qualified to determine if a dive is safe.  Additionally..." Nyw turns to look at the glassy seal, pausing for a few seconds.  "...I think all future dives, whether by amateurs or yourself, should be done outside of the bore, if that is reasonably safe.  Even if the chance of catastrophic failure is low, there is little reason to risk the lives and livelihood of everyone here."

He turns to Adam suddenly, presenting something in his large armored hand.  "Ah, and speaking of the fragments--here, Adam.  Another diver appeared outside, and gave me her fragment."

Give Adam Rhea's relic fragment.  It's not gonna be used by Nyw, might as well hand it off to the guy who knows how to judge how dangerous it is.

Aside from that, watch over the mole diver.  If he seems lucid and nonhostile, untie him, but follow him wherever he goes, and be ready to punch him out again if he starts beeping.p

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 14, 2019, 04:11:40 pm »

Over radio: "I thought we were going to explore the ruins with the whole team, were we not? Isn't that the reason we all came down here for?"
Clate fiddles with the radio buttons, sending out short bursts of static
Code: [Select]
... ..- .-. .

-- --- - .... ... / -- .- -.-- / .- .-. --. ..- .

-.-. .- .-. . ..-. ..- .-.. / -. --- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- ..- .--. ...

--- .-. / . .-.. ... .

To Clate: "Well of course, you don't have to take anyone you don't think can handle themselves in the ruins.

But, should you feel comfortable with having some more of us to explore the crystal ruins, could you coax the moths into letting the rest of the team, or at least part of it, join in?"

"Suspicious. Those two have been acting rather furtively since our encounter with the Apostate Warrior and our return to Empyrean."
"Hmm. I think brother Clate is just apprehensive of losing out on getting to connect with and explore the largest site of the crystal people, given his newfound form. Seeing how we just now almost lost our bore on an unforced error, I think I can understand that."

"Ok, so the bore isn't going to move anytime soon, not until we repair the damage the dive has caused. We're lucky that the dive has been contained so quickly, and that we were in town of course. Anyway the dive did a real number on the bore, strongly compromising the structural integrity to such a degree that there is a high risk of the bore tearing itself apart if we were to move it.
I'll go head into town and find someone who will do the repair, and maybe find some jobs to do while we're waiting for the repairs to be done."
"By the Depths, that's even worse than I expected. Yes, please see if you can find some help for the repairs. We're lucky to have some fathoms in the bank right now, I think we should have enough to at least make her cave-worthy again."

He turns to Adam suddenly, presenting something in his large armored hand.  "Ah, and speaking of the fragments--here, Adam.  Another diver appeared outside, and gave me her fragment."
"Ah yes, thank you brother Nyw, I'll take it into my care for now. Do you know the name of this new diver, by any chance?"

It seems to be holding and the portal seems stable.

The seal seems to be made of glass, though thats only the closest analog you can think of. Its smooth, transparent, slightly crystalline like cut glass. And yes, its got "Roots" extending out all around it. Cutting it out would require you to cut out...hard to say but a lot of the bore's middle. It would probably require a dock and specialized tools to make sure the bore didn't collapse as you stripped sections of it away.  The thing is in there like a weed, all curled and knotted around everything.

How much damage does it seem like this 'glass' could take? Does it seem extremely fragile, or could it at least handle the stresses of regular bore travel (assuming we fix the bore)? What about strenuous or rough bore travel? And is there a way we could reinforce this thing to be more sturdy?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:28 pm »

Clate sighs. But inwardly, on account of having no lungs. He turns to Kara and writes in her general direction

Friend Kara, it seems Adam and perhaps some others wish to join our journey into the crystal city. Could you perhaps convince the moths to allow additional members?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2419 on: November 14, 2019, 05:06:41 pm »

""

Nyw nods along as Ashul lays out his ideas.  "All good ideas, though I think the fragments are best left with you and Adam, rather than merely 'on the bore'.  You two are both capable of defending them, and are the only ones qualified to determine if a dive is safe.  Additionally..." Nyw turns to look at the glassy seal, pausing for a few seconds.  "...I think all future dives, whether by amateurs or yourself, should be done outside of the bore, if that is reasonably safe.  Even if the chance of catastrophic failure is low, there is little reason to risk the lives and livelihood of everyone here."

"Honored One, I think that is an unnecessary restriction, as small Dives have a small effect, even when they go wrong, and Diving into the Spheres do not seem to carry the same risk of sudden destruction. Ah, Honored One, that is a look we Abominations are well familiar with. Yes, for now I will abide by the request, unless necessary, as it was moments ago.""Missing out? Why shopuld he fear such a thing from us? Have we not been fully supportive of his interests in this matter?"

Quote from: Ozarck
"Suspicious. Those two have been acting rather furtively since our encounter with the Apostate Warrior and our return to Empyrean."
"Hmm. I think brother Clate is just apprehensive of losing out on getting to connect with and explore the largest site of the crystal people, given his newfound form. Seeing how we just now almost lost our bore on an unforced error, I think I can understand that."

"Ah, that is unfortunate. I wonder if the Bore will become strong enough to travel again, or if it wold be better to purchase another from Anvil. It might be wise to tow our little cataclysm to a more isolated area where we can study and make use of this creative corridor."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2420 on: November 15, 2019, 02:37:57 pm »

"Okay, I'll give it a shot."

Kara leaned close to Clate, doing her best to whisper at him.

"Just be careful Clate. I'm getting the feeling they profit from the state of this place. They might not like it if we cause any 'major changes'. I'm not saying you shouldn't, do what feels best for you. I'm going to support you if it comes down to it. I'm just saying, stay on your guard around our hosts."

Try to convince the moths to let me bring some more people with me as assistants, manual labor and all that. But don't risk it if it seems they threaten to expel us, I don't want to cost Clate's chance to explore this place.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 15, 2019, 03:06:57 pm »

Clate writes in Kara's direction in quick, small font

"I hear your warning, friend Kara. My main goal is the uplink. Unless the link changes the situation as it stands, the rest of the city is relatively unimportant."

Let Kara talk to the moths. Meanwhile, try and use my stonesensing again to map out the points of interest in the crystal ruin, so that we don't have to walk around blindly once we finally get the gang together and move in.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:27:17 pm by Pancaek »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 15, 2019, 08:19:27 pm »

rest away the Silent Night withdrawals, then go out and purchase 2 Silent Night (5g ea) and 1 Worm Blood (3g). 13 g deducted from my inventory and the supplies added. Since we are in Moth Town, are tehre surcharges or anything? any "Abomination/Diver" taxes?

Assume that the Mole Person has his Relic Fragment if he leaves the Bore, otherwise, while he is on the Bore, AsHul keeps it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2423 on: November 17, 2019, 01:30:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
go around town and ask around to find someone who is good at repairing bores

Head into town to find a mechanic who will repair the bore, try to negotiate a discount while I'm at it.
[9]
In town Alex and Rhea manage to negotiate a good price for bore repair by first heading to the local archive and telling them about the portal embedded in the bore. The effectively trade examination and information about the portal for a discount on the repairs. They make sure not to trade the actual portal away...not yet at least.

Give Adam Rhea's relic fragment.  It's not gonna be used by Nyw, might as well hand it off to the guy who knows how to judge how dangerous it is.

Aside from that, watch over the mole diver.  If he seems lucid and nonhostile, untie him, but follow him wherever he goes, and be ready to punch him out again if he starts beeping.p

You hand off the fragment and then squat down over the mole, staring at him intently. He seems...not murderous, so you cut his restraints and give him a hard talking to about the importance of safety.

Over radio: "I thought we were going to explore the ruins with the whole team, were we not? Isn't that the reason we all came down here for?"
Clate fiddles with the radio buttons, sending out short bursts of static
Code: [Select]
... ..- .-. .

-- --- - .... ... / -- .- -.-- / .- .-. --. ..- .

-.-. .- .-. . ..-. ..- .-.. / -. --- / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- ..- .--. ...

--- .-. / . .-.. ... .

To Clate: "Well of course, you don't have to take anyone you don't think can handle themselves in the ruins.

But, should you feel comfortable with having some more of us to explore the crystal ruins, could you coax the moths into letting the rest of the team, or at least part of it, join in?"

"By the Depths, that's even worse than I expected. Yes, please see if you can find some help for the repairs. We're lucky to have some fathoms in the bank right now, I think we should have enough to at least make her cave-worthy again."

"Ah yes, thank you brother Nyw, I'll take it into my care for now. Do you know the name of this new diver, by any chance?"

It seems to be holding and the portal seems stable.

The seal seems to be made of glass, though thats only the closest analog you can think of. Its smooth, transparent, slightly crystalline like cut glass. And yes, its got "Roots" extending out all around it. Cutting it out would require you to cut out...hard to say but a lot of the bore's middle. It would probably require a dock and specialized tools to make sure the bore didn't collapse as you stripped sections of it away.  The thing is in there like a weed, all curled and knotted around everything.

How much damage does it seem like this 'glass' could take? Does it seem extremely fragile, or could it at least handle the stresses of regular bore travel (assuming we fix the bore)? What about strenuous or rough bore travel? And is there a way we could reinforce this thing to be more sturdy?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
That is an extremely difficult to know thing. The fragility of something is difficult to tell without testing it in some way, from tapping it with something hard to trying to snap a piece off. However, because it is containing the portal you reason that it must be extremely strong in that respect at least. Maybe it is just very strong against certain forces; like glass actually is. Strong yet fragile. Hmm. However, after a close inspection, you come to the conclusion that it most likely will survive regular bore travel. Rough bore travel is...well the bore itself won't survive that right now. Maybe if you reinforced both the bore AND the seal, you could feel more confident in it surviving a fight.

"Okay, I'll give it a shot."

Kara leaned close to Clate, doing her best to whisper at him.

"Just be careful Clate. I'm getting the feeling they profit from the state of this place. They might not like it if we cause any 'major changes'. I'm not saying you shouldn't, do what feels best for you. I'm going to support you if it comes down to it. I'm just saying, stay on your guard around our hosts."

Try to convince the moths to let me bring some more people with me as assistants, manual labor and all that. But don't risk it if it seems they threaten to expel us, I don't want to cost Clate's chance to explore this place.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[8]
They seem fine with you bringing people, as long as they'll follow orders and not break things.

The emphasize that last part. Several times. Slowly.

rest away the Silent Night withdrawals, then go out and purchase 2 Silent Night (5g ea) and 1 Worm Blood (3g). 13 g deducted from my inventory and the supplies added. Since we are in Moth Town, are tehre surcharges or anything? any "Abomination/Diver" taxes?

Assume that the Mole Person has his Relic Fragment if he leaves the Bore, otherwise, while he is on the Bore, AsHul keeps it.

Deduct 20 instead. They're not as cheap out here because there isn't as much demand. Moths aren't divers as often as humans are, and we're on the outskirts, a good way from Empyrean.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 17, 2019, 02:25:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lead the repair person to the bore

Hotfire90

« Reply #2425 on: November 17, 2019, 06:41:39 pm »

Search for local jobs and bounties next. Focus on high paying jobs, nothing under 100 fathoms.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2426 on: November 17, 2019, 10:15:05 pm »

Clate writes in Kara's direction in quick, small font

"I hear your warning, friend Kara. My main goal is the uplink. Unless the link changes the situation as it stands, the rest of the city is relatively unimportant."

Let Kara talk to the moths. Meanwhile, try and use my stonesensing again to map out the points of interest in the crystal ruin, so that we don't have to walk around blindly once we finally get the gang together and move in.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Consider yourself well informed.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 18, 2019, 01:38:28 am »

AsHul will loom disconcertingly over any outsiders (or Bore crew) who attempt to examine, prod, test, fiddle wiht, monkey with, tinker upon, or otherwise interfere with the Seal. He'll want detailed information on the repair plan, should such a repair be feasible. He'll be willing to explain what we know of how the portal formed and what we did to contain it.

Meanwhile, contemplate the necessary Dive to transfer some of the creative energies from the portal into one of his guitars. Would a simple summon spell be viable, or would that effectively unleash a mini portal, causing damage to the guitar and/or AsHul's person? Would the Dive need to add a Seal as well? If so, would it be easier and/or safer to simply Enchant the Guitar with Creation?

20 Fathoms total deducted for supplies.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 18, 2019, 09:07:02 am »

Nyw nods.  "I believe it is 'Rhea', though I did not catch her surname.  A human, like yourself, wearing strange clothes that I have not seen before."

"Honored One, I think that is an unnecessary restriction, as small Dives have a small effect, even when they go wrong, and Diving into the Spheres do not seem to carry the same risk of sudden destruction. Ah, Honored One, that is a look we Abominations are well familiar with. Yes, for now I will abide by the request, unless necessary, as it was moments ago."

"Hmm.  I will defer to your judgement then, Ashul; if you do not believe simple diving will pose a danger to this bore or its crew, then I will trust you in that.  Although, I must ask that you err on the side of caution.  If a powerful dive is necessary for whatever reason, and you have the time and freedom to do so, please, do conduct it elsewhere?  You understand my worries, I'm sure."

Guard the seal with Ashul.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 18, 2019, 05:22:13 pm »

"Hmm.  I will defer to your judgement then, Ashul; if you do not believe simple diving will pose a danger to this bore or its crew, then I will trust you in that.  Although, I must ask that you err on the side of caution.  If a powerful dive is necessary for whatever reason, and you have the time and freedom to do so, please, do conduct it elsewhere?  You understand my worries, I'm sure."

"Of course, Honored One. Your concerns are quite reasonable. I, too, have witnessed our repeated follies, and have seen Dives bring great harm, as well as great good. This latest error cost us dearly, and I do not wish to walk that Path again."
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 231