Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385691 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #2550 on: January 11, 2020, 11:38:17 am »

"Sure. I don't know what it does, but it's quite pretty, don't you think?"
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, friend Kara. And I have none. More importantly, a comment from the Overmind leads me to believe you may have gotten your hands on a high energy projector. If I can figure out its workings, you may have yourself a rather potent new boomstick.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2551 on: January 11, 2020, 02:20:06 pm »

Ask him all about the cult, where they meet up, how many members it has, who its leaders are and how to join it.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[3]
He tells you a meeting place between bouts of preaching, and you  get bits and pieces of how the leaders are prophets and such, but no hard names or information. He's being just vague enough to keep you from pinning anything down. The leader is, however, someone of importance within normal society through, that much is for certain.

Clate sidles up to Kara, writing for her eyes only

((Precisely how does a crystalline octopus sidle?))

Unwrap the package.  Look at it.  If it gives a location, or hints at a location, go to that location.  If it does not, go look for the person the chemist mentioned, who recruited him.

You pick up the package non-nonchalantly and carry it into an ally before opening it. Inside are about two dozen vials of the drug and a piece of paper with an address, a name, what looks like a code word, and dates. You follow the address and find that it leads to a art supply shop maybe a mile or so from the chemist's.

Try looking for a new area we haven't explored yet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[2]
Luckily for you, this entire area is basically an unexplored area.  You wander off into a new building and look around. This building, like many of them, is partially overgrown. There are a few of those barrels against one wall, a partially blocked off doorway, and another hole in the ceiling that seems to lead up to another room.

Ask Clate to rack his brain to see if there are any areas that seem interesting or that look like they might have goodies? If any are found, investigate!

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
"Hey Clate. Did you find what you were looking for?"

Clate sidles up to Kara, writing for her eyes only
Yes, friend Kara. I have succesfully made contact with the overmind. I have learned many things, I shall tell you when I am sure there are no prying eyes. I have also learned to read the crystal script. It is not actually the language of the crystal people, they had no need for such things. It was made to communicate with the other races.

Incidentally, did you pick up some kind of weapon? I felt like there was a sort of high energy weapon here. If so, may I see it?

Converse with Kara. Ask to see her spiky stick. If allowed, inspect it and see if I can figure out what it does and how it works. Be careful not to hurt any of my comrades though.
If anyone asks for translations of crystal script or directions using my 'internal map' of the place, help them out.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

[12]
The stick is an energy projection weapon and a powerful one at that. At full power it would fire a beam 8 feet in diameter that could bore through 100 feet of solid stone. Of course you could also adjust it to project smaller or shaped beams. The only issue is that it draws power from the Crystal, which means that outside of places like this it will draw power directly from you. You'd have to be very careful about using it, lest it drain you completely.

You offer suggestions to Adam, but state that if he wants High value goodies then that city in the distance is the highest concentration of them. There are a few interesting places around here - old trade depot, armory, library of sorts- but you're not sure what state they're in. You both head out and investigate the library, which is closest, and find it almost entirely overgrown. The Trade Depot is in better shape but its entrance is still blocked. The armory seems to have fallen down an opening crevice along the east wall.

"Hey Clate. Did you find what you were looking for?"

Hmm. If they had to conduct trade and/or accommodate other creatures, then... Look around for something that could house their equivalent of a crawler, something that could help move goods and other species around.

Also wonder what could be useful to those that are masters of rock. Organic goods? Magical artifacts? Art, stories, knowledge and news? If they were trading, what could they be trading for? Or was it merely a way to showcase their power?

Oh, wait! Maybe they needed food? ... Wait, have I ever seen Clate eat for that matter?

EDIT: Let Clate examine that Crystal weapon.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Its incredibly difficult to just look for any sort of building around here considering how blank everything is. No signs, no indications of anything, almost everything overgrown; its a nightmare to search through. So you ask Clate. He points you to the Depot or to what he thinks might have been a vehicle repository. When you ask him why he "Thinks" it was one, he responds that it is a place where "Large movers" were kept and that he can't give any better translation.  This building is indeed quite large and imposing. Its even mostly intact with no overgrowth. The only issue is that it appears to have no doors or openings anywhere.

[14]
You're honestly not sure. Clate hasn't eaten anything that you've seen...maybe it was an attempt to create positive relations and nothing more? Maybe they wanted specific goods made of things other than crystal for some reason? Maybe they had an Ethral like curiousity in foreign goods? You really cannot say. Maybe if you could look at the trade depot you could formulate a better guess.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: January 11, 2020, 02:40:59 pm »

How big is the partial gap? Open one of the barrels

Hotfire90

« Reply #2553 on: January 12, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »

That's enough info for now. Leave him tied up and locked up and then go rejoin Nyw.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2554 on: January 14, 2020, 02:13:40 am »

Dive into Nehn (the sphere of enchantment)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: January 14, 2020, 07:09:03 am »

Welp, as I said before, go to the place mentioned in the dead drop.  If Alex wants to be all subtle, he can totally do that, but otherwise Nyw is gonna stick to the method that works.  March in, threaten intense violence if people do not cooperate, figure out who might know anything, and interrogate them for useful information.

...Unless the note was just saying this is the next dead drop location.  In that case, still go in and interrogate people, just with less violence and fewer threats.  Nice and calm, ask them to keep an eye out for crazy cultist criminals, or other people with too many c-descriptors.

Oh, and because I'm curious.  We're in an Ethral city, right?  Which means we're in a weird kinda place that's hanging from the roof of a magma cavern?  What's an alleyway even like, in such a place?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2556 on: January 14, 2020, 07:25:34 am »

Hmm. This rod can control golems with language. So maybe it was something they traded to other races? Or maybe a gift to those they accepted in their ranks without converting them or those they trusted?

Try ordering Crystal Friend to
KINAKOVER : UNLOCK
QUESTAL : EAT
SERVARE : BREAK
the wall that prevents me from entering the trade Depot. If none of these work, then double check to make sure there's no secret entrance or hole in the roof I missed.

If that doesn't work either, then see if Clate is willing to open it for me.

If none of these work, then stand back and see if I can get that beam weapon I found to fire at some corner of the building, hopefully in a way that causes just enough damage to make a hole without damaging anything valuable.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:27:35 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:21 pm »

Look at library with wizard eyes. Is the knowledge there all stored on those Clate-only tablets?

Ask Clate if he would pretty please open up the library, if done explore inside carefully. If not try to figure out how we could get to the armory and look for an entrance.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: January 14, 2020, 03:04:13 pm »

Help any teammate that needs assistance with crystal-related stuff.
If I manage to open the library for Adam, take a peek around there after helping everyone that asks for help. Maybe look for anything valuable or that holds knowledge I can use to better my stoneshaping powers.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:32:30 pm by Pancaek »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2559 on: January 14, 2020, 03:39:03 pm »

How big is the partial gap? Open one of the barrels
About 4 feet wide. [2] The barrel is a solid chuck of stone but luckily you have a big cleaver and some apparent strength because you manage to bash it open with the blunt side of the cleaver. Inside, filling basically the entire barrel, are what appear to be rough opals of different kinds.

That's enough info for now. Leave him tied up and locked up and then go rejoin Nyw.
Welp, as I said before, go to the place mentioned in the dead drop.  If Alex wants to be all subtle, he can totally do that, but otherwise Nyw is gonna stick to the method that works.  March in, threaten intense violence if people do not cooperate, figure out who might know anything, and interrogate them for useful information.

...Unless the note was just saying this is the next dead drop location.  In that case, still go in and interrogate people, just with less violence and fewer threats.  Nice and calm, ask them to keep an eye out for crazy cultist criminals, or other people with too many c-descriptors.

Oh, and because I'm curious.  We're in an Ethral city, right?  Which means we're in a weird kinda place that's hanging from the roof of a magma cavern?  What's an alleyway even like, in such a place?

You did go there. You just didn't walk in because I wasn't sure of your plans, if you wanted to watch or something.

You bulldoze into the place and sweep your vision across a bunch of artists and shop workers. [13] After a few long seconds of examination you pick out the one you think is your man. He's stocking tins of paint along the back wall and something about him conveys a sense of criminality. He's also apparently a bit addled because he doesn't even try to run until you're basically on him. The best he manages is to turn and scurry a bit so you catch him by the collar. You drag him up to your eye level and start asking for information in a loud and convincing manner.

He spills the exact location of a meeting where he was "Granted" the ability to sell the drug by the organization.  The Organization he names as "The Enlightened".

As per that alleyway, think of ethral cities like a bunch of upside down buildings with walkways spiderwebbing their way out between them. So an alley is just a path between two buildings, particularly a less used one.

Dive into Nehn (the sphere of enchantment)

The sphere of enchantment sounds like a weird resort.

[4]
You materialize in what seems for a moment like complete darkness, but then your eyes adjust. You're in a cave, or a natural tunnel, made of blue-green stone and woven with veins of some kind of luminous metal. The tunnel goes off in two directions, lets call them north and south for now. South appears to continue on for quite a while while north sinks lower and quickly disappears from view. You can hear sounds to the north, like running water and echoing noises.

Hmm. This rod can control golems with language. So maybe it was something they traded to other races? Or maybe a gift to those they accepted in their ranks without converting them or those they trusted?

Try ordering Crystal Friend to
KINAKOVER : UNLOCK
QUESTAL : EAT
SERVARE : BREAK
the wall that prevents me from entering the trade Depot. If none of these work, then double check to make sure there's no secret entrance or hole in the roof I missed.

If that doesn't work either, then see if Clate is willing to open it for me.

If none of these work, then stand back and see if I can get that beam weapon I found to fire at some corner of the building, hopefully in a way that causes just enough damage to make a hole without damaging anything valuable.

Break is the one that works, though it ends up being more of a tunneling action than anything

Inside the trade depot are many things. Most interesting is the fact that there are boxes of apparently non-crystal origin. Metal boxes, what appears to be some sort of dried and compressed fungal material formed into ovoid shapes, Animal skins, lashed together carapace, etc. The majority of things in here are of non-crystal origin. Its all extremely ancient and very fragile too. You touch one of the animal skins and it basically crumbles in your hands like a sculpture made of dust. There is, interestingly, signs of how old trade was carried out. No vehicles but there is a very large saddle/platform in one corner of the room that still has goods attached to it. Examination reveals the straps to have the sort or smooth rubbing you'd expect to see on a hard surface. Carapace maybe? Giant beetles? Or ants?  There are stories of the original settlers harnessing giant insects for cavern travel before the advent of bores and crawlers and the like.

Look at library with wizard eyes. Is the knowledge there all stored on those Clate-only tablets?

Ask Clate if he would pretty please open up the library, if done explore inside carefully. If not try to figure out how we could get to the armory and look for an entrance.

We'll assume Kara opens it for you since Clate is sleeping.

The library is a heck of a thing. Its clearly designed for non-crystal readers, at least for the most part. Those slabs you found earlier are here, lined up in their own little alcoves and cubby holes along the wall or stacked in perfectly neat piles. There are what appear to be records for Crystal people to look at but they make up huge pillars that stretch from floor to ceiling and appear to be read by "Flowing" through them, at least judging by the architecture.  The interior is fairly pristine and there are decorations and visual cues here and there that don't exist in the places made purely for crystal beings. Things to be seen by inferior fleshy see spheres as opposed to sense through stone. The decorations depict other races though, and their actions. There is nothing here displaying the history or actions of the crystals, outside of their interactions with other races. Curious.

Help any teammate that needs assistance with crystal-related stuff.
If I manage to open the library for Adam, take a peek around there after helping everyone that asks for help. Maybe look for anything valuable or that holds knowledge I can use to better my stoneshaping powers.

Coming at me again with the sneaky just before posting posts.

You see the same things as above and can attempt to "Read" the pillars if you would like. Though, you know that with the Crystal overmind as it is and your powers limited, it might be dangerous to do so. You might be better off just merging with the outer layer and reading that.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: January 14, 2020, 04:15:45 pm »

Take the opals and enter the gap

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2561 on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:45 pm »

Stump along northward then, unless the terrain gets difficult.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2562 on: January 16, 2020, 05:04:30 pm »

Is the location the same one the other guy gave me? Question him about how he came in contact with the Enlightened and who specifically recruited him to sell haze for them. Take him back to the bore once we're done questioning him.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2563 on: January 16, 2020, 06:30:52 pm »

"Fascinating. I never suspected such things could be."

Search for anything that could teach me how they managed to control the giant animals. Finding what they fed their animals is unlikely but maybe I can learn something from their equipment.

Also, is there any sign that could tell me which of the various species I saw were the owners of these trading goods? See if I can figure out which of those trade goods belonged to those bird-people, if any. I'm interested in seeing what someone without hands could craft, for obvious reasons. If they're Corven-like then it's likely they were trading for beautiful shinies! Or maybe some form of currency? I wonder what one could use instead of fathoms.

I'm also curious about their weapon technology. Caravans would need protection, especially from the various monsters of the caverns. Did they have things like cannons and rifles? More archaic things like arrows and crossbows? Or maybe they didn't use any sort of weapon that would leave a trace. Maybe they relied on diving or on the abilities of their beasts.

Finally, is there any sign of what happened to them? I can't imagine a trader willingly abandoning their trade goods. Were they expelled or killed? Were they trapped here to die? Did they succumb to the same illness as the Crystal people?

Generally, archeologist birb is gonna do her thing.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:33:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: January 17, 2020, 12:04:11 pm »

I forget, did we ever figure out how to translate the slabs? If yes, start looking around for an index, or else just try to get an idea of how the library is organized.

If no, start cataloguing the library as best I can to get some overview/insight into this place.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 231