Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384481 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2910 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:15 pm »

Leave the Bore and go to a safe and secluded place. Take the 50lb bomb with.
Drink Silent Night
Dive: Yengenze ->Nehn
Reinforce Yengenze 12 times, Nehn 6
21 Nerve rolls: (3 path, 18 reinforce)
Final nerve, final cunning

Goal is to infuse the bomb with a mind destroying effect strong enough to eliminate teh Ancient Warrior's mind, but such that it doesn't propagate beyond the bomb's explosion and kill everymind nearby.

If successful, return bomb to bore, and carefully label the bomb as a mind breaker.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

14:38] Radio Controlled: @Mr. Bones Sorry, but in DIG, your response to my question regarding the nerve loss was a bit ambiguous. Can I assume the nerve penalty is just rested off in between turns while we're in between missions like now, or not?
[16:09] Mr. Bones: @Radio Controlled Yes, consider it rested off
[16:23] Radio Controlled: Also, thanks boneman.
[16:24] Radio Controlled: Hmm, maybe I should ask the following here as well so I can save a turn and we can get things moving again sooner:  there are multiple ways one can increase their chance of making the final nerve roll by not losing nerve along the dive (rolling at advantage, sacrifices). Are there things one can explicitly do to increase their chance of passing the final material roll? Or is the only thing you can do here to hope that you roll well for that stat during next levelup?
[17:02] Mr. Bones: Hmmm
[17:02] Mr. Bones: Well its not in there
[17:03] Mr. Bones: but the magic system I used to build this one (the Basilisk system) would allow bonuses by being near objects or places related to the sphere
[17:03] Mr. Bones: So if you were doing something with technology, having a lot of tech around you would help
[17:03] Mr. Bones: I suppose it would be reasonable to give advantage to material rolls in this way

So, before going further into this, are you sure you want to introduce a new mechanic like this? I'm fine with the system as-is, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. If yes, could you perhaps explain it in more detail? If not, no prob, I'll just roll with it.

Now, if I wanted to do some tinkering with black knives, but the ideas I have are partly based on our experience with them from memories that our characters should probably not have anymore due to the whole En effect, how should we go about that?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:27:43 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
continue working

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

"Wow! Thanks Harm! That's awesome! You've given me invaluable knowledge!"

Hmm. Maybe if I'm lucky the information I got here combined with my unique perspective as a Corven will help me translate something in those whistling stones that the Ethral missed. And if not I can at least take them for my museum, I bet other Corven would be interested in seeing things from their (supposed) past.

That discrepancy in worship is interesting. Is the Corven Fortune-deity, the one that supposedly chooses those who will succeed, in any way related to fire? I suppose the humans did their best to eradicate a "heathen" religion but why not go all the way and completely indoctrinate the Corven? Maybe they just have a problem with fire-related religions due to their worship of the black flame? Or maybe something stopped them before they could finish. Then, if the newly created Corven moved next to Undertow, them living with the shrewd and wealthy Shluck merchants along with our love for shiny things could had influenced the birth of a new religion. But is Undertow really that old? It's just a minor settlement.

Unless... Do I have any idea how old Undertow or Kirk is? Or what the oldest Corven settlement is? Kirk is the settlement closest to what might be the Corven's original home, so one would expect it to be the oldest one.  Unless the first Corven moved or were forced to move to another area. Maybe the humans thought they could use them as soldiers or to find precious materials? Gah, so many questions!

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

I'm assuming that was 51 rolls total, not 23 + 51.  If so, only about half of Nyw's bullets have been used up, so continue training.  Do not roll more than 80 times.

I've been wondering something.  In the armory, shotguns say that they're good for people with poor aim.  But I don't think there's any mechanic that makes them any more or less accurate than other rifles?  Would Nyw get some kind of benefit from using a shotgun instead of a rifle, aside from the advantage of shotguns firing a much more diverse array of projectiles?

Hotfire90

Offer them the moonblade and up to 500 fathom to keep as collateral until I keep my promise.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:08:15 pm by Hotfire90 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

continue working
+30
+30 from Harm too

Offer them the moonblade and up to 500 fathom to keep as collateral until I keep my promise.
[13]
They agree, taking 500 fathoms and the moon blade as collateral and giving you a copy of the untranslated text.

I'm assuming that was 51 rolls total, not 23 + 51.  If so, only about half of Nyw's bullets have been used up, so continue training.  Do not roll more than 80 times.

I've been wondering something.  In the armory, shotguns say that they're good for people with poor aim.  But I don't think there's any mechanic that makes them any more or less accurate than other rifles?  Would Nyw get some kind of benefit from using a shotgun instead of a rifle, aside from the advantage of shotguns firing a much more diverse array of projectiles?

Here's 80 rolls
(4 + 19 + 1 + 8 + 5 + 20 + 15 + 20 + 16 + 12 + 14 + 15 + 17 + 8 + 7 + 4 + 8 + 1 + 6 + 13 + 17 + 14 + 6 + 6 + 15 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 9 + 3 + 9 + 5 + 2 + 18 + 10 + 10 + 9 + 12 + 6 + 8 + 11 + 18 + 5 + 20 + 13 + 3 + 6 + 20 + 1 + 20 + 4 + 5 + 13 + 17 + 6 + 13 + 4 + 12 + 20 + 19 + 18 + 19 + 14 + 5 + 12 + 16 + 5 + 11 + 7 + 9 + 7 + 8 + 16 + 17 + 19 + 18 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 7 = 826)

I see 4 1's in there so feel free to stop at whatever roll you like.

And I don't think I actually have a rule making it better for people with bad aim...I'd have to check. I suppose it would be as simple as letting shotguns have like -2 to the to hit roll.

"Wow! Thanks Harm! That's awesome! You've given me invaluable knowledge!"

Hmm. Maybe if I'm lucky the information I got here combined with my unique perspective as a Corven will help me translate something in those whistling stones that the Ethral missed. And if not I can at least take them for my museum, I bet other Corven would be interested in seeing things from their (supposed) past.

That discrepancy in worship is interesting. Is the Corven Fortune-deity, the one that supposedly chooses those who will succeed, in any way related to fire? I suppose the humans did their best to eradicate a "heathen" religion but why not go all the way and completely indoctrinate the Corven? Maybe they just have a problem with fire-related religions due to their worship of the black flame? Or maybe something stopped them before they could finish. Then, if the newly created Corven moved next to Undertow, them living with the shrewd and wealthy Shluck merchants along with our love for shiny things could had influenced the birth of a new religion. But is Undertow really that old? It's just a minor settlement.

Unless... Do I have any idea how old Undertow or Kirk is? Or what the oldest Corven settlement is? Kirk is the settlement closest to what might be the Corven's original home, so one would expect it to be the oldest one.  Unless the first Corven moved or were forced to move to another area. Maybe the humans thought they could use them as soldiers or to find precious materials? Gah, so many questions!

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
The fortune teller deity is generally shown as either a golden bird, a golden Corven, or a set of scales. Fire is not involved, as far as you know. Your other questions are things you don't really know. Its all possible, but you have no real proof one way or another. The importance of the shift between fire and wealth is something interesting through. Could there have been a schism at some point in the distant past resulting in the two tribes of Corven and fire singers?

Kirk is, as far as you know, either the oldest or at least very old. As per Undertow...you're not sure. You really don't know much about the shluck at all. But Clate might; he was one in a previous life after all.

14:38] Radio Controlled: @Mr. Bones Sorry, but in DIG, your response to my question regarding the nerve loss was a bit ambiguous. Can I assume the nerve penalty is just rested off in between turns while we're in between missions like now, or not?
[16:09] Mr. Bones: @Radio Controlled Yes, consider it rested off
[16:23] Radio Controlled: Also, thanks boneman.
[16:24] Radio Controlled: Hmm, maybe I should ask the following here as well so I can save a turn and we can get things moving again sooner:  there are multiple ways one can increase their chance of making the final nerve roll by not losing nerve along the dive (rolling at advantage, sacrifices). Are there things one can explicitly do to increase their chance of passing the final material roll? Or is the only thing you can do here to hope that you roll well for that stat during next levelup?
[17:02] Mr. Bones: Hmmm
[17:02] Mr. Bones: Well its not in there
[17:03] Mr. Bones: but the magic system I used to build this one (the Basilisk system) would allow bonuses by being near objects or places related to the sphere
[17:03] Mr. Bones: So if you were doing something with technology, having a lot of tech around you would help
[17:03] Mr. Bones: I suppose it would be reasonable to give advantage to material rolls in this way

So, before going further into this, are you sure you want to introduce a new mechanic like this? I'm fine with the system as-is, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. If yes, could you perhaps explain it in more detail? If not, no prob, I'll just roll with it.

Now, if I wanted to do some tinkering with black knives, but the ideas I have are partly based on our experience with them from memories that our characters should probably not have anymore due to the whole En effect, how should we go about that?

I think it would be fine, since its targeting something there was no real specific boost to yet. I dunno. HEY SY! what do you think?

Well, we can assume you know about their use, ie to cause a localized EN effect. Other than that probably nothing honestly.

Leave the Bore and go to a safe and secluded place. Take the 50lb bomb with.
Drink Silent Night
Dive: Yengenze ->Nehn
Reinforce Yengenze 12 times, Nehn 6
21 Nerve rolls: (3 path, 18 reinforce)
Final nerve, final cunning

Goal is to infuse the bomb with a mind destroying effect strong enough to eliminate teh Ancient Warrior's mind, but such that it doesn't propagate beyond the bomb's explosion and kill everymind nearby.

If successful, return bomb to bore, and carefully label the bomb as a mind breaker.

-2 nerve.

A rather horrible looking black network of veins appears on the bomb and then fades away. You slap a big label on it that states "MIND BREAKER, POINT TOWARDS ENEMY, DE-ASS THE AREA"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2917 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11:29 pm »

Drink worm's blood to restore Nerve, then purchase Silent Night (cost 5) and worms' blood (cost 3)
Then sit in on the call with Leon's disciple.
Turn 2 of Silent Night effect.

Adam, Alex, Kara. I have enchanted the Explosive that Alex has prepped for use in my quest. I request that our next location is back to the Cist, or near enough that I can use the crawler to proceed. I believe I have everything necessary to complete the task set before me, though a device to carry the explosive would be helpful. Any who share the goal of eliminating this threat to humanity are welcome to join me in this task, thoug hI recommend that our less ... stable recruits be carefully supervised during the conflict.

Are there any significant tasks that prevent us from departing immediately?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:55:14 am by Ozarck »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

I think it would be fine, since its targeting something there was no real specific boost to yet. I dunno. HEY SY! what do you think?
Pending the result of this, can we perhaps do that call with Leon's disciple? If yes, start that now please. Be sure to inform Ashul in case he wants to sit in for it.

Also, remember that crystal weapon/beaker artifact I have? Take a look at it with wizard eyes, and try to figure out how one should use/activate it. Ask Clate if I can't figure it out.

Well, we can assume you know about their use, ie to cause a localized EN effect. Other than that probably nothing honestly.
So if the idea hinges on either knowing/realizing that Clate's crystal babies (or creatures like these) can use black knives, I could not play around with that idea, correct? Because you told me before that they have to be used 'with intent', so I know that IC'ly still, but I dunno if Adam would ever realize that crystal babies of limited sentience can still fulfill this intent clause if he hadn't seen it happen.

Adam, Alex, Kara. I have enchanted the Explosive that Alex has prepped for use in my quest. I request that our next location is back to the Cist, or near enough that I can use the crawler to proceed. I believe I have everything necessary to complete the task set before me, though a device to carry the explosive would be helpful. Any who share the goal of eliminating this threat to humanity are welcome to join me in this task, thoug hI recommend that our less ... stable recruits be carefully supervised during the conflict.
Are there any significant tasks that prevent us from departing immediately?

"I will, of course, assist you in this holy purge any way I can. Are you truly sure we are ready, though? Perhaps I can still try to figure out how to use the crystal weapon I found, just to have a backup.

I still have a call to make with Leon's disciple, but other than that there is nothing else so urgent that it couldn't wait. As for a method to carry the bomb, we could probably construct something to do so, or perhaps brother Clate could have one of his crystal servants perform that task? Assuming he is willing to assist us again in our new attempt of course."

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:08:28 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

"Yeah it's about time that we returned to the cist. We've prepared long enough and are more than ready to resolve the situation there. I can also build a cart for the bomb while we're travelling to the cist. Whatever is carrying the bomb won't survive the blast anyway, so there's no point in throwing away a crystal construct when using a simple cart achieves the same thing."

Create a second 50lbs bomb with a regular fuse. The first one required 5 chemical and 15 structural junk, for a cost of 50 fathoms.
Once the bomb has been created, give it to Polyantha along with 100 fathoms.

Also buy 20 structural, mechanical, electrical and chemical junk for 320 fathoms total.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:51:37 pm by Hotfire90 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

"I will, of course, assist you in this holy purge any way I can. Are you truly sure we are ready, though? Perhaps I can still try to figure out how to use the crystal weapon I found, just to have a backup.

I still have a call to make with Leon's disciple, but other than that there is nothing else so urgent that it couldn't wait. As for a method to carry the bomb, we could probably construct something to do so, or perhaps brother Clate could have one of his crystal servants perform that task? Assuming he is willing to assist us again in our new attempt of course."

"I believe we have a sufficient Plan A for the Warrior. However, a backup would indeed be advisable. In particular, I would like to prepare a shield before we arrive. I would like, in fact, to survive the encounter, win or lose. I understand that some entity wold pay us to investigate the Hive of ants you discovered on your first journey in that direction? We can move on to Twin Falls to make final preparations."

"Yeah it's time that we returned to the cist. We've prepared long enough and are more than ready to resolve the situation there."
"I too am eager to put this Step on the Path behind us. The darkness beckons us Deeper. Can we truly proceed with such unfinished business?"

Hotfire90

"Yeah it's time that we returned to the cist. We've prepared long enough and are more than ready to resolve the situation there."
"I too am eager to put this Step on the Path behind us. The darkness beckons us Deeper. Can we truly proceed with such unfinished business?"
"There's also the matter of the organization conspiring against the Church, we should track them down before we plan to explore the depths, and of course properly prepare the bore and ourselves for the journey.

Anyway I have an important request to make. Ever since we left Empyrean I've been busy studying the books I carried with me. I learned much from my studies, but there are still many questions regarding the ancient humans that require answers. Just recently while reading the remaining books that were left here in Anvil I think I made a significant discovery, I don't know what the outcome of it was, but I intend to find out. Therefore I request that before we carry out our plan of destroying the warrior, that I may talk to it first. If it truly comes from the surface then it should know what happened and answer all the questions I have."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Go to stores and look for anything that would assist with climbing, like ropes, grappling hooks, etc.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

"There's also the matter of the organization conspiring against the Church, we should track them down before we plan to explore the depths, and of course properly prepare the bore and ourselves for the journey.

Anyway I have an important request to make. Ever since we left Empyrean I've been busy studying the books I carried with me. I learned much from my studies, but there are still many questions regarding the ancient humans that require answers. Just recently while reading the remaining books that were left here in Anvil I think I made a significant discovery, I don't know what the outcome of it was, but I intend to find out. Therefore I request that before we carry out our plan of destroying the warrior, that I may talk to it first. If it truly comes from the surface then it should know what happened and answer all the questions I have."

"Talking to such a creature seems ... unwise. Obsession with the ancient humans, and with the surface can only lead to destruction. If you wish to destroy yourself in that pursuit, I won't stop you, but I will fulfill my duty against this creature.

What sort of discovery did you make, that has you so willing to risk the life I have restored to you twice?"

Hotfire90

"One of the articles in the Cognition magazine mentioned the discovery of an unknown mass in the outer solar system that was headed towards Earth, this mass seemed to be able to ignore gravity. What's interesting is that its path towards Earth was described as if it was moving towards it with intent, that the scientists that discovered it had no idea what it was and that there were military measures planned against the unknown mass. Whatever it was, it did not originate from the solar system and it was still years away when that article was written."

Alex takes the Cognition magazine from the archive out of his bag and holds it infront of him. "Luckily the Ethral Archive here in Anvil had its own collection of ancient human books, theirs however weren't recovered from the spheres, they were directly recovered from the surface. I had to go through some fierce negotiations to acquire a copy of the next set of volumes of the Cognition magazine, it should have more answers about this discovery. As for the warrior, I will be cautious when dealing with it, but given my knowledge about the ancient humans and their language I should be able to get it to trust me enough for it to reveal more about itself and the ancient humans. Learning how it was captured and imprisoned for example would be highly interesting."
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 231