Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385123 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

Ask Clate if he knows anything about if Undertow is older than Kirk or the relationship between Corven and Shluck. For that matter, do I know any stories about Corven and Shluck? Legends or sayings and such?

Could I pay someone to dive to make me a sort of pokeball or Ghostbusters trap? I'm thinking of a single use bazooka-like device that would teleport whatever object I'm aiming at (or better yet a ball-shaped chunk of space from where I'm aiming at) inside it and then put it in stasis via Neth. Would probably have to be two dives, one for the teleportation and one for the stasis. The fact that it teleports things would really help me if I want to steal something dangerous without being seen. Maybe add some armor as well, just so that it won't break and release the potentially dangerous thing.

Also inquire on the price of armored boxes to contain dangerous things. You know, artifact containers.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: They call it Mad science because it makes everyone really angry.
« Reply #2926 on: June 01, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »

"While the promise of hidden lore might be seductive indeed, I think this course of action would be unwise bordering on the foolish. We have seen what this thing can do and the terrific power it wields. And perhaps even more distressingly, it has seen us and our capabilities, so it will be all the more dangerous this time around. I believe that our best bet is an overwhelming coordinated first strike to purge it as soon as it is revealed.

Hell, even if you could somehow convince this monster to talk with you, what assurance would you have that this thing won't just spout whatever heretical lies it thinks will give it the most chance of escaping? Finally, I'm sure there are ways of discovering whatever knowledge you seek that do not involve potentially unleashing a hideous plague upon our fragile world."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2927 on: June 01, 2020, 05:30:30 pm »

"There is very little risk involved, it's imprisoned in the cist despite its strength, if it could escape on its own it would have done so already. It's reliant on outside help to escape, and because of that there is no risk to me, especially since I will be entering the chamber alone.

This is an unique opportunity, you know it's highly unlikely that we'll come across another newly built messenger path containing a cist, and it's even more unlikely that its prisoner will be sentient or even willing to talk. The knowledge I would gain from simply talking to it are far too great to ignore. Given the extensive knowledge I have already gained from my books, I doubt that it will be able to decieve me, since I will also be testing its knowledge about the ancient humans, I will be keenly aware of any contradictions it might make."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 01, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »

"Alex, how do you plan on entering the cist?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #2929 on: June 01, 2020, 06:08:55 pm »

"By going through the door. You can open the door with the sword the saint gave you, there shouldn't be a problem closing it once I've entered. We're going to apply that same strategy when we're ready to kill the warrior won't we? Open the door, push the cart containing the bomb inside, close and detonate."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:11:01 pm by Hotfire90 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:37 pm »

"Even assuming it would be content to sit still while you walk inside, what will then prevent that monster from learning of our plans and our capabilities, either by torturing it out of you, or perhaps even by ripping the information straight out of your brain? This thing took an explosion demon from the spheres beyond our own and instantly turned it into a vessel for itself, it has capabilities beyond what I ever even would have imagined. It's simply too risky."

Hotfire90

« Reply #2931 on: June 01, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »

"You have no evidence that it is capable of such a thing, from what little we've seen its abilities are more physical in nature. Should it try to injure in any way, it will cause the shirt I'm wearing to be activated. I will then have access to its own weapons and be accompanied by a phantom who is also armed with the same weapons, so even if it does end up in a confrontation I'm confident that I'll be able to stand up to its might long enough that I can retreat back to safety."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 01, 2020, 07:01:12 pm »

"I confess, I am at a loss for words. I am astonished at your audacity. I must think hard on this matter. I see no benefit for myself in this course of action, and great risk. I also do not understand the reward you are seeking. Why should we risk our duty for a few scraps of ancient history? And yet, your conviction and nerve are impressive. I could almost be persuaded to allow you your chance."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 02, 2020, 07:31:14 am »

That's 49 rolls to the third 1, which maxes out Nyw's guard/ethral rifle skill.  I'll take that happily!  As for giving shotguns -2 on to-hit rolls with shotshells, that seems perfectly fair.  It probably won't affect Nyw, because if he's in shotgun range he's probably close enough to murakumo range, but it does give others a reason to use shotguns sometimes.

About the "HEY SY" thing:

Towards the "hey can I speak with the person of mass destruction before we kill him" convo: "Perhaps a dive could enable Alex to speak with the Warrior, without ever damaging the being's containment?  I agree with Ashul, if the security of the cyst must be compromised to allow communication, then communication is a foolhardy and virtually suicidal plan.  I would only support it if risk to the rest of the crew, and our world at large, can be avoided."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: June 02, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »

If you go this route, advantage should definitely only come from being in a place, not just having relevant items.  Someone shouldn't be able to get permanent Noth advantage by spending 100 fathoms on magnets which they drop in their backpack.
Make the Dive consume the item, as in a regular sacrifice.

A potential problem with that idea is that it'd somewhat encourage divers to collect all sorts of fragments to benefit all the spheres they like, possibly acting as something of a money gate/money sink for dives to certain spheres.
Encouraging Diving to specific spheres to collect Diving related items doesn't seem problematic at all. Diving the spheres is little different than a loot run in any of the locations our adventures have taken us as is.

Neither is necessarily negative; allowing players to progress in power by spending money is a common mechanic, as is rewarding having a larger "arsenal" of equipment, but both would noticably change how divers are played.  I think.
I agree here and think this is the biggest problem: Material rolls add an element of risk to the Dive beyond the simple nerve roll mechanic, but hte material rol fails are far less noticeable as is than the Nerve fails. I believe we've only had *one* Dive fail that was the result of a material fail (Egan's moth blowing off it's own head) while all the most impressive fails have been nerve related. The material roll fails tend to only modify the end result. But without that risk of failure, Dives become a matter of "Find calm place, roll at advantage, profit."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: June 02, 2020, 02:33:21 pm »

That example wasn't a material failure, because the explosive wasn't the target of the dive anyway. It exploded entirely due to bad luck in the exact manner in which the explosive was sacrificed.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:22 pm »

Then I can think of no significant problems brought about by a material failure in the game to date. Unless ... explosion snake?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: June 02, 2020, 04:50:54 pm »

"We have seen it suborn a being from beyond our plane to rebuild itself in a matter of moments. Doing something unthinkable to one of us seems like small potatoes compared to such a feat. And the point isn’t that it definitely has a specific ability like that, but that it has great powers we have only seen a fraction of, so to assume we know all of its tricks seems like folly to me. Which is also why I think why counting on that shirt to protect you completely is overly optimistic.

Not only that, but remember that last time that the longer the battle drew on, the more powerful it became, so giving it the chance to power up would make any subsequent steps all the more dangerous. Honestly, the only saving grace I see in all of this is that at least you’re human, and this construct seemed to still regard us with some reverence.

All that being said, this is the kind of situation where going in with a single plan, even if sub-optimal, is preferable over going in with multiple at cross-purposes. So if you can manage to convince the majority of the people going along for this to entertain this idea, I’ll work along, but for me my vote is a hard no."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: June 02, 2020, 10:31:53 pm »

A couple more thoughts on getting advantage for diving material rolls, response to Ozarck.

Spoiler: Read the boldtext (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 03, 2020, 08:07:11 am »

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 231