Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 380985 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3240 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:59 am »

ROLL CALL FOR MOLTEN HEART EXPEDITION
State if you're going to join us, because we need to buy enough lava-proof suits. Current plan is to leave next turn if possible.

Use team fund moolah to buy the 500 fathom crystal mover upgrade ("turn the entire interior of the thing into a livable space? Basically turn it into a bore itself.") and get it prepped to leave. Inspect the crystal mover once it's done so we know what we're working with.

As for Clate himself: attempt to Make some crystal weapons that are lava proof, for my teammates to use when wearing the environmental suits. A couple of simple melee weapons (spears maybe?) and some ranged weapons (crystal lazer pistols?).

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:21 pm »

State if you're going to join us, because we need to buy enough lava-proof suits. Current plan is to leave next turn if possible.

Use team fund moolah to buy the 500 fathom crystal mover upgrade ("turn the entire interior of the thing into a livable space? Basically turn it into a bore itself.") and get it prepped to leave. Inspect the crystal mover once it's done so we know what we're working with.

I'm in!

I'll go edit my action so that a diving mishap won't derail the start of the mission.

Also, for the people doing that investigation right now: I will check with pw to see if I can make both the portal knife and the small destination portal heat-proof. If yes, I could give the knife to one of you, then once we are at the molten heart I can set up the destination portal so that, when you guys are done playing Sherlock, you can come join us (be sure to buy a heat shielding suit before you do though!). Assuming we find a place suitable for setting up the portal, of course (then again, if we set it up in a magma sea and you guys could open a portal above the nearest Ethral city, that'd be swell~).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 18, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »

Like hell am I about to wade around in magma, only protected by an npc's dive.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3243 on: September 19, 2020, 03:03:03 pm »

How good are these suits? If they get punctured (and aren't swimming in magma), do we get a chance to fix them or is it instant death? If it's not instant death, then I'd like to purchase some repair materials for them. Our Tinkerers or Clate will hopefully be able to use them to repair them.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3244 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:50 am »

Down the disused tunnels, then!  See where the path, and hopefully the footprints, lead!  Onwards, to adventure!

Down the disused tunnels, then!  See where the path, and hopefully the footprints, lead!  Onwards, to adventure!

Aye, and into terrifying danger...
If something dangerous presents itself, hide behind the big guy. Literally, use him as concealment and try to not be noticed.

Spoiler: here's a moth (click to show/hide)

follow Nyw, revolver at the ready
Spoiler: Birb (click to show/hide)
[13]
Nyw and his tag-a-longs follow the footprints for quite a while, weaving through many interconnected and seemingly identical stretches of covered and open tunnel. They get a fragmented tour of the city, peeking out here and there at back alleys,  over markets, wandering above roof tops and  meandering along at street level. People look at them quite oddly when they notice the troop and all they can do is smile and attempt to look like they're on important business.  After walking at least several miles the footsteps finally lead to a door. Its a big metal thing, clearly waterproof, and looks like it is part of the aqueduct system, not something that was added later.  Its locked, or at least it doesn't open when they try it.  Nyw presses an ear to the door and listens. There are faint noises beyond it, but what they are he can't tell. Movement? Words? Machinery? Seems too erratic for machinery.

Heretical is a bit of an odd concept round these parts. Essentially anything which would adulterate or modify the works of the god of black flame is considered heretical. So when you modified the word of god that gave you these eyes, you made them heretical. Hence why they can penetrate any mundane barrier but cannot see the works of god or anything similarly miraculous.  A heretical artifact similarly would be anything considered a divine artifact that has been changed. Changed on the level of its properties, not just like smashed or something.

And where are such things usually found?

How many fathoms would it take for the following enchantments/modifications to be performed:
1) provide heat&pressure protection for a teleporter knfie so it can be used for the molten heart mission
2) provide heat&pressure protection for a destination portal so it can be used for the molten heart mission

Also, do the dive to try and fix the large destination portal like we discussed before. Do it inside the diving vault to roll ad adcantage, use a +3 sacrifice for it. Reinforce Noth and Xi 6 times.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Places where heretics are found. Ie not round here~  You know who is famously and flamboyantly heretical? Necromancers.

The knife and portal are made of metal right? They're fine. Its lethally hot for humans but not melt steel hot.

As for Clate himself: attempt to Make some crystal weapons that are lava proof, for my teammates to use when wearing the environmental suits. A couple of simple melee weapons (spears maybe?) and some ranged weapons (crystal lazer pistols?).

Well you definitely get the upgrade kit...but the crystal mover ain't here. Its back where you left it. And probably for the best honestly, walking it into town would cause a bit of a ruckus and out you as more than a simple crystal golem. So you'll have to take the kit  to the mover and install it yourself.

I'll just assume you make 10 crystal spears, since its easy. Laser guns...[13] We'll do [6] six of em.

How good are these suits? If they get punctured (and aren't swimming in magma), do we get a chance to fix them or is it instant death? If it's not instant death, then I'd like to purchase some repair materials for them. Our Tinkerers or Clate will hopefully be able to use them to repair them.

It won't be instant death in the same way wandering into an oven wouldn't instantly kill you. You might get burnt but you're not gonna go up like flash paper. We'll assume you get a 20 fathom repair kit for these suits.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 21, 2020, 02:05:20 pm »

Places where heretics are found. Ie not round here~  You know who is famously and flamboyantly heretical? Necromancers.
Fishy. Very fishy. Where are these undead boyos usually found then?

The knife and portal are made of metal right? They're fine. Its lethally hot for humans but not melt steel hot.
Think so yeah. In that case, if it's possible to have given the teleporter knife to Nyw before they left on their adventure, do so. Alternatively leave it on the bore with instructions on how to use it and ample warnings on where we are going and where they can get suits for themselves and to not open it inside the bore I mean c'mon.

Note, if none of the peeps on the investigation team voice their interest on maybe joining the molten heart expedition at a later date then just take the knife with me as well. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:26:51 am by Radio Controlled »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 21, 2020, 07:09:37 pm »

be prepared to breach and clear if Nyw does anything, otherwise sit tight and keep an eye out.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 23, 2020, 10:22:23 am »

Last chance if you want to join the molten heart mission

Gather the team (Clate, Adam, Kara. Rhea/naturegirl pending since she hasn't posted in a couple of days). Buy suits for everyone who needs one (currently Adam and Kara) along with enough repair materials for Kara to repair said suits, using team fund.

Give each member a crystal spear and crystal lazer gun. Leave the leftover crystal weapons on the bore.

Then set out to the Crystal Walker and install the upgrades together with Kara and Adam.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:04:43 am by Pancaek »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3248 on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:58 am »

Fishy. Very fishy. Where are these undead boyos usually found then?

Think so yeah. In that case, if it's possible to have given the teleporter knife to Nyw before they left on their adventure, do so. Alternatively leave it on the bore with instructions on how to use it and ample warnings on where we are going and where they can get suits for themselves and to not open it inside the bore I mean c'mon.

Note, if none of the peeps on the investigation team voice their interest on maybe joining the molten heart expedition at a later date then just take the knife with me as well. 

Deep. Maybe deeper than the map shows. And places far from civilization. Old tombs and disused portions of messenger paths.

We'll see about this. We can always retcon them into place if we need to.

be prepared to breach and clear if Nyw does anything, otherwise sit tight and keep an eye out.
Holding pattern for now waiting for big daddy to act. Since he's the one who is gonna be doing all the punching.

Last chance if you want to join the molten heart mission

Gather the team (Clate, Adam, Kara. Rhea/naturegirl pending since she hasn't posted in a couple of days). Buy suits for everyone who needs one (currently Adam and Kara) along with enough repair materials for Kara to repair said suits, using team fund.

Give each member a crystal spear and crystal lazer gun. Leave the leftover crystal weapons on the bore.

Then set out to the Crystal Walker and install the upgrades together with Kara and Adam.

Done.

Done.

[8] We'll assume you take the bore out there, and then send it back. We'll also just assume a cost of 50 fathoms for the fuel there and back.   You and Kara get the pod installed into the interior of the mover. It leaves some room in the interior around it for you to move and be in contact with the mover to drive it along.

Now, if memory serves you're in the caverns above the fathomless falls area. Now, you'll draw attention when you're moving around in that thing, so I'd recommend (if you want to go unmolested) to find a  path that limits your exposure to cities or main pathways. As it is right now though, the mover cannot drill like the bore so you're stuck to moving through existing structures. The best path I can see for you is to take the caverns down into the underground river that leads up to Undertow. Try to bypass them as quick as possible, move through the water to the lake section above Empyrean, skirt the city all the way along to the far eastern edge and then find a hole or something to crawl/drop down into the magma and follow it aaaaaall the way down to the molten heart.  There's actually another crystal ruin along that path too, if you wanted to pop out and see whats up.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 24, 2020, 04:58:16 pm »

[8] We'll assume you take the bore out there, and then send it back. We'll also just assume a cost of 50 fathoms for the fuel there and back.   You and Kara get the pod installed into the interior of the mover. It leaves some room in the interior around it for you to move and be in contact with the mover to drive it along.

50 fathoms for fuel
500 for mover upgrade
2x180 for suits
Wiki updated

Now, if memory serves you're in the caverns above the fathomless falls area. Now, you'll draw attention when you're moving around in that thing, so I'd recommend (if you want to go unmolested) to find a  path that limits your exposure to cities or main pathways. As it is right now though, the mover cannot drill like the bore so you're stuck to moving through existing structures. The best path I can see for you is to take the caverns down into the underground river that leads up to Undertow. Try to bypass them as quick as possible, move through the water to the lake section above Empyrean, skirt the city all the way along to the far eastern edge and then find a hole or something to crawl/drop down into the magma and follow it aaaaaall the way down to the molten heart.  There's actually another crystal ruin along that path too, if you wanted to pop out and see whats up.
This path is ok for me. I also wouldn't mind exploring those ruins along the way, but will defer to Clate since this is his show.

Deep. Maybe deeper than the map shows. And places far from civilization. Old tombs and disused portions of messenger paths.
And suppose Adam was to investigate this, maybe even get such a heretical artifact, would that drive him further away from the church in their eyes? My understanding is that the church has a complex relationship with necromancers, correct? Could you perhaps elaborate beyond what is on the wiki already?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3250 on: September 25, 2020, 04:06:34 pm »

Boop

Handled movement in Discord.

Arriving now.  For the moment the only one able to see this is Clate since he's driving and the rest of you are hiding in a tin can.

The mover bobs up out of the magma and into what amounts to a sort of airlock. Its a raw cavern space, not intentionally made but kept as is for its convenient shape. Around the cavern are several more movers, all parked along the edge of the pool and apparently abandoned. There is only one way forward from here and it leads to what appears to be a solid and impenetrable wall of crystal. There are no doors, no writing, no signs of any way to get in or any clue as to what it is. The temperature outside is fatally high as you'd expect and the "air" is mostly poisonous gas and carbon dioxide. The Magma pool does produce enough light to see by though, so there's that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3251 on: September 25, 2020, 09:02:07 pm »

Does the temperature allow me to bring these things with me?
Radio (I'm assuming inside the suit)
Telegrabber with Stasis Box (Rifle, 100 meters max grab range)
3 Stasis Boxes (diving enhanced containment container) for the Telegrabber
Riding harness for Crystal friend
Ethral Rifle (scope+bipod) (rifle 3, pierce 3) 7/7
Grappling Hook + Ethral Silk rope 200 ft
1 Doctor's Bag

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 26, 2020, 05:15:20 am »

And suppose Adam was to investigate this, maybe even get such a heretical artifact, would that drive him further away from the church in their eyes? My understanding is that the church has a complex relationship with necromancers, correct? Could you perhaps elaborate beyond what is on the wiki already?

Check which items from my inventory I could carry inside my suit and which I'll have to leave behind (either on the bore before we left or inside this can).

Take a look around with wizard vision.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:28:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 26, 2020, 08:46:11 am »

Park our mover near those othe movers. Leave everything in my inventory behind except for the crystal weapons and the crystal babies (also leave behind the TNT suicide golems in case the TNT inside them can't handle the heat).

Give my extra labradorite Rod to Adam, so that both he and Kara have one.

Then, Clate will head out first to explore a bit. Check out:
- The cavern we find ourselves in right now. Just a general look around
- Check out those parked movers. Is there anything left behind near/in them? Inspect the movers themselves as well.
- Lastly, check out the way forward and that wall. Is there anything special about the way and the wall? Can I feel anything behind that wall with my stonesensing?

Als keep an "eye" out for if I feel any kind of (crystal) presence here.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3254 on: September 28, 2020, 09:40:34 am »

Does the temperature allow me to bring these things with me?
Radio (I'm assuming inside the suit)
Telegrabber with Stasis Box (Rifle, 100 meters max grab range)
3 Stasis Boxes (diving enhanced containment container) for the Telegrabber
Riding harness for Crystal friend
Ethral Rifle (scope+bipod) (rifle 3, pierce 3) 7/7
Grappling Hook + Ethral Silk rope 200 ft
1 Doctor's Bag

Yes to everything minus the silk rope and doctor's bag. The silk would begin to get so soft and half melted it would be useless and the contents of the doctors bag does contain things that would be damaged by heat.

Check which items from my inventory I could carry inside my suit and which I'll have to leave behind (either on the bore before we left or inside this can).

Take a look around with wizard vision.

So heretical things are obviously disliked but in the church there is a underlying precept that is the reason Necromancers are still sort of unofficially accepted: preference for humanity. The Church is, at its heart, focused on the survival of humanity above all other things and they are willing to go outside their comfort zone if it is for this cause. So if you start using heretical things the average believer might revile you, but as long as you show you are still using such things for the survival or betterment of humans, the church as a whole will accept you tacitly. Necromancers are the prime example of this: they use diving in a way that basically everyone finds unsettling, namely reanimating the dead and converting themselves into a lich of sorts. But most Necromancers are/were human and while they are pompous, arrogant, and self aggrandizing they are not mindless monsters and have shown a willingness to side with humanity if it is faced with threats. They still count themselves with humans, for whatever reason, and as such the church sees them as an ally.

Temp wise you can carry anything in your suit. In terms bulk, assume this suit is something like a diving suit; one of the old pressurized ones with the metal helmets. Looking at your inventory the only thing that can't be carried in your suit are things like your rifle and the crystal people slabs. The rest is small enough that it can be strapped to yourself if need be.

Your wizard vision can see beyond the solid wall of crystal into the structure beyond. It is clearly not built with non-crystals in mind. Its basically, from what you can make out, a single enormous sphere of crystal. The interior is essentially a termite nest of corridors  with no real "Buildings"  that you can see. Its like a massive 3d maze to your eyes.  Worse yet, it seems like the pieces of the maze are all isolated.  There's sort of clumps of corridors and rooms, but no tunnels or doors connecting them. Clearly made for creatures that can move through crystal.

Park our mover near those othe movers. Leave everything in my inventory behind except for the crystal weapons and the crystal babies (also leave behind the TNT suicide golems in case the TNT inside them can't handle the heat).

Give my extra labradorite Rod to Adam, so that both he and Kara have one.

Then, Clate will head out first to explore a bit. Check out:
- The cavern we find ourselves in right now. Just a general look around
- Check out those parked movers. Is there anything left behind near/in them? Inspect the movers themselves as well.
- Lastly, check out the way forward and that wall. Is there anything special about the way and the wall? Can I feel anything behind that wall with my stonesensing?

Als keep an "eye" out for if I feel any kind of (crystal) presence here.

Alright.
Alright.

The cavern here is natural, as I said. its just a pocket of "air" above the magma with a ring of stone around the pool forming a floor. There's really nothing to it other than a convenient place to park.

The movers have a handful of those barrel containers, but they're mostly empty.

The wall is a good 20 or more feet thick of solid crystal and you're pretty sure there is no door and never was one; not across the entire structure. Its a place only people able to swim through stone are supposed to be able to enter.  As per what lies beyond, you feel a sort of cluster of structures. Where Adam sees nothing but crazy chaotic space you can sense cohesion in the design. Its determined mostly by the "grain" of the stone and various other things, but you can feel the "Buildings" he can't; the delineated lines between the passageways.

The overmind presence is certainly stronger here, and gets stronger the closer you get.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 231