Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385945 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3255 on: September 28, 2020, 02:58:34 pm »

So heretical things are obviously disliked but in the church there is a underlying precept that is the reason Necromancers are still sort of unofficially accepted: preference for humanity. The Church is, at its heart, focused on the survival of humanity above all other things and they are willing to go outside their comfort zone if it is for this cause. So if you start using heretical things the average believer might revile you, but as long as you show you are still using such things for the survival or betterment of humans, the church as a whole will accept you tacitly. Necromancers are the prime example of this: they use diving in a way that basically everyone finds unsettling, namely reanimating the dead and converting themselves into a lich of sorts. But most Necromancers are/were human and while they are pompous, arrogant, and self aggrandizing they are not mindless monsters and have shown a willingness to side with humanity if it is faced with threats. They still count themselves with humans, for whatever reason, and as such the church sees them as an ally.
Wowzers, interesting! To the wiki it goes!

Also, something I'm wondering about: what would you think about Adam doing something like using a dive to copy the information that Alex learned earlier in that conversation with robobro? Since I figured (OOC'ly) that it could be an interesting opportunity to potentially take the character in a new direction, but it also feels a bit wrong or perhaps impolite given that the player suddenly vanished. Not saying I have definite plans in this direction, but would like to hear what you think about it (originally were gonna interrogate him anyways, but that fell kind of flat on its face). Would it be kosher, or best to just let that saga rest and find information through other avenues?   

Either way, try to use the labradorite staff to command my crystal construct to open up/make a small hallway for Kara and Adam to move through. Point it in the direction of wherever Clate thinks is most interesting to visit first in this structure.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: September 30, 2020, 11:02:47 am »

- See if I can make a connection with the overmind at this point. Sporadically ping it when we venture forward if it isn't possible at this time.

- If possible, try to somehow mark Adam and Kara as friendlies/companions. Maybe through their crystal friends. So that any potential security systems don't see them as hostile beings.

- Point out the "buildings" I can sense to Kara and Adam, in case they want to head off on their own. Then lead them into the crystal structure and head towards the closest important building.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3257 on: October 01, 2020, 10:28:24 am »

So heretical things are obviously disliked but in the church there is a underlying precept that is the reason Necromancers are still sort of unofficially accepted: preference for humanity. The Church is, at its heart, focused on the survival of humanity above all other things and they are willing to go outside their comfort zone if it is for this cause. So if you start using heretical things the average believer might revile you, but as long as you show you are still using such things for the survival or betterment of humans, the church as a whole will accept you tacitly. Necromancers are the prime example of this: they use diving in a way that basically everyone finds unsettling, namely reanimating the dead and converting themselves into a lich of sorts. But most Necromancers are/were human and while they are pompous, arrogant, and self aggrandizing they are not mindless monsters and have shown a willingness to side with humanity if it is faced with threats. They still count themselves with humans, for whatever reason, and as such the church sees them as an ally.
Wowzers, interesting! To the wiki it goes!

Also, something I'm wondering about: what would you think about Adam doing something like using a dive to copy the information that Alex learned earlier in that conversation with robobro? Since I figured (OOC'ly) that it could be an interesting opportunity to potentially take the character in a new direction, but it also feels a bit wrong or perhaps impolite given that the player suddenly vanished. Not saying I have definite plans in this direction, but would like to hear what you think about it (originally were gonna interrogate him anyways, but that fell kind of flat on its face). Would it be kosher, or best to just let that saga rest and find information through other avenues?   

Either way, try to use the labradorite staff to command my crystal construct to open up/make a small hallway for Kara and Adam to move through. Point it in the direction of wherever Clate thinks is most interesting to visit first in this structure.

Considering he vanished into thin air, I think its reasonable to try and get the info from him somehow. I think a dive is acceptable.

(Since you're sticking with clate, I'll have him handle the stone stuff while you're together. So until you split or he fails rolls, I'll hold off on the action of you using a golem to open doors. It will work just fine, but no reason to double up)

- See if I can make a connection with the overmind at this point. Sporadically ping it when we venture forward if it isn't possible at this time.

- If possible, try to somehow mark Adam and Kara as friendlies/companions. Maybe through their crystal friends. So that any potential security systems don't see them as hostile beings.

- Point out the "buildings" I can sense to Kara and Adam, in case they want to head off on their own. Then lead them into the crystal structure and head towards the closest important building.

The overmind is here, and stronger than before. Not strong enough to make a two way communication with yet, but you can feel its desire for you to venture in.

About the  best you can do to mark important structures is to converse with adam and, through a combination of his wizard eyes and your sense of the structure, come together with a rough understanding of what places are important. Its mostly "See that bit over there that kind of looks like  an 'H'  doing a cartwheel? Thats important." Not perfect, but better than nothing.

You open a passage in the crystal wall and  head inside with the rest following behind. You get maybe 10 feet in when the crystal wall behind you reforms and seals behind you. Not like a trap, more line an airlock you think. A safety feature. Hmm. You push onward, burrowing through stone past unimportant areas and into the first place that you believe is significant.  Its pitch black the entire way; you don't really notice due to your lack of normal senses but the bumbling fleshlings behind you seem to have an issue with it. As soon as you breach the building there is a tremendous release of gas as the building and your tunnel equalize pressures. The "air" inside the building was pure noble gas, argon you think but such things are difficult to tell. As you take your first steps into the small antechamber room you get a distinct feeling that seems to grab your head and twist it in another direction.  Up and to the right; at the center of the entire structure. Thats where they built the thing that shattered the overmind and thats where you can fix it.

The room you're in now though, its diamond shaped, like a cube balanced on the point of one vertices. Its got some sort of sign equivalent near the place you entered, though you'll have to swim through it to see what it means. Beyond this room you can sense that the building goes up several floors, folding over and over in a switch back pattern. Housing you think it is.  Hive is what comes to mind.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 01, 2020, 03:08:24 pm »

((FYI, if you're waiting on me in any game, please PM me.  I get email notifications, so even if I've forgotten the forum for awhile (or, more likely, forgotten a game due to distractions), I'll respond in short order.))

Continue listening at the door, and politely knock.  Listen for any change; do the sounds stop, or get more agitated?  Either way, give them a few seconds to respond or do something.  If there is a change, and no response is forthcoming, use the tungsten toothpick to smash the door open, and charge in otherwise unarmed.  Use the empty hand to disarm anyone within reach, but don't kill anyone.

If there is a response, politely ask if they can open the door.

If the sounds don't change, attempt to open the door less destructively.  Could the lock be picked?  Nyw will ask one of his flighty friends to make an attempt, if so.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 01, 2020, 03:54:31 pm »

Clate points a tentacle up and to the right, though his squishy friends probably aren't helped much by that gesture

I can feel it, over there. The thing that shattered the overmind, the thing that can make it whole again.
As for the rest of this complex, it feels like a sort of hive, a housing complex.

I propose we head straight for the thing to fix the overmind. Exploring the rest of this place should prove easier once it is back online.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: October 02, 2020, 02:25:06 am »

Clate points a tentacle up and to the right, though his squishy friends probably aren't helped much by that gesture

I can feel it, over there. The thing that shattered the overmind, the thing that can make it whole again.
As for the rest of this complex, it feels like a sort of hive, a housing complex.

I propose we head straight for the thing to fix the overmind. Exploring the rest of this place should prove easier once it is back online.

"That sounds good to me. One thing I have been wondering about though...

Clate, once this 'overmind' has been reactivated, what is gonna happen to you?"

Can we say Adam left the teleport portal open inside the tin can in the crystal mover? If not go back and set it up before going on.

After that, follow Clate!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: October 04, 2020, 06:37:41 pm »

"An excellent question. The truth of the matter is that I have no way of knowing for sure. From my direct interaction with the overmind in the previouys ruin we went to, I believe that it will not attempt to influence my being. I may become more connected to it and the shared consciousness of the crystal people, but I don't think the Overmind will try to limit my indivudality or make me lose my old sense of self or anything along those lines.

Of course, that's just my belief based on the interaction I've had with the overmind so far. I don't actually have any way of knowing for sure. What we're trying to do here has, to my knowledge, literally never been done before. Regardless, I still want to go through with this, come what may."

Keep heading towards the place where the shattering took place. Ignore the other rooms/places, unless I feel danger and/or that it will be required to visit them to undo the shattering.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3262 on: October 05, 2020, 11:44:09 am »

((FYI, if you're waiting on me in any game, please PM me.  I get email notifications, so even if I've forgotten the forum for awhile (or, more likely, forgotten a game due to distractions), I'll respond in short order.))

Continue listening at the door, and politely knock.  Listen for any change; do the sounds stop, or get more agitated?  Either way, give them a few seconds to respond or do something.  If there is a change, and no response is forthcoming, use the tungsten toothpick to smash the door open, and charge in otherwise unarmed.  Use the empty hand to disarm anyone within reach, but don't kill anyone.

If there is a response, politely ask if they can open the door.

If the sounds don't change, attempt to open the door less destructively.  Could the lock be picked?  Nyw will ask one of his flighty friends to make an attempt, if so.

You knock and listen. The sounds become louder and more erratic; you can make out voices, though exactly what they're saying is muffled beyond comprehension, just language-like sounds. They may be gagged or perhaps the door is just too thick. Distressingly, at least one voice is extremely near the door, close enough that you're fairly certain knocking the door down could injure them. They might even be directly on the door, as you hear want sounds like metal shifting as well.  Dully, in the background, you hear a low CLANK. You ask to be let in and the door physically shakes. Not much, its very secure, but enough that you can feel it with your ear pressed to the metal.

Can we say Adam left the teleport portal open inside the tin can in the crystal mover? If not go back and set it up before going on.

After that, follow Clate!

(sure)

"An excellent question. The truth of the matter is that I have no way of knowing for sure. From my direct interaction with the overmind in the previouys ruin we went to, I believe that it will not attempt to influence my being. I may become more connected to it and the shared consciousness of the crystal people, but I don't think the Overmind will try to limit my indivudality or make me lose my old sense of self or anything along those lines.

Of course, that's just my belief based on the interaction I've had with the overmind so far. I don't actually have any way of knowing for sure. What we're trying to do here has, to my knowledge, literally never been done before. Regardless, I still want to go through with this, come what may."

Keep heading towards the place where the shattering took place. Ignore the other rooms/places, unless I feel danger and/or that it will be required to visit them to undo the shattering.

You move through, opening paths as needed for your less mobile companions. As you grow closer to the central chamber complex where you feel you must go, you start to feel...strange. You stop moving and rest for a moment. You feel...light headed is something close to right, but not 100%. Dissociated? You look at your "hand" and find it somewhat difficult to flex the stone as you want. Stiff? Rebellious? You look around, sensing the stone for something that seems to explain this. And then you notice them: there are other crystal people here. Or rather, the remains of them. They didn't form tunnels like you are, they swam through the stone, but they're all moving towards that central chamber complex. Or they were. You see them now as bodies, vague forms noticeable only by their distinct grain patterns in the stone. Sort of like a shadow or a human shaped knot in wood. They're further forward than you, closer to the chamber, but not by much.

[5]
Whatever it is that fractured the overmind is having an effect on you too. Its trying to tear your mind out of its crystal housing, make your body nothing but inanimate stone. And clearly this isn't the first time crystal converts have tried to come here and fix things; there are dozens of bodies of people like you, frozen here where they failed to reach their goal.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 05, 2020, 04:31:05 pm »

Clate moves back a little, slowly, laboriously. He turn towards his two companions.

"Friends, there are other crystal people here. Or at least, their bodies are. They moved through the solid crystal, towards the central chamber complex as we are doing, I believe for the same reason as well. But the thing that shattered the overmind is having an effect on us as well. The other crystal people, their minds have been ripped from their bodies. I can feel it tugging at my mind, stronger and stronger as we get closer.

I...I am afraid I may have to ask you to head on without me. I think if I go any closer than this, I too will be shattered."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 06, 2020, 02:29:53 am »

Move on to our objective, use wizard vision to get forewarning of problems or threats. 

"Do we have any idea of what it was that shattered this overmind, or who did it?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 06, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »

"Do we have any idea of what it was that shattered this overmind, or who did it?"
Hard to say. According to the info in some tablets friend Kara uncovered, the shattering occurred right after the crystal superweapon was used.

Now, the possibility exists that the overmind simply had to incorporate too many new crystal people into the hivemind, causing some sort of overload. It's also possible that the weapon malfunctioned somehow, or was sabotaged.
Seeing what I am seeing right now I almost suspect sabotage of some sort, seeing as it is still immobilizing and/or killing crystal creatures that get close to it to this very moment. Though we can't rule out some catastrophic, cascading malfunction either. I'm afraid we'll only get an answer to this question once the machine is turned off and we can inspect it.

Assist my companions as much as I can via giving directions or stoneforming, but don't get any closer to the shattering room.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3266 on: October 07, 2020, 05:56:02 pm »

Kara turned towards Clate and shined her Dynamo Lantern towards him, trying to make out the letters on his body. She fumbled with her beak a couple of times until she finally managed to hit the button that activated the radio stuck on the inside of her helmet. Clate didn't need the radio to hear her, he could just sense the vibrations on her suit, so it was mostly for Adam's benefit.
"Perhaps we shouldn't rush in blindly. That weapon was meant to be used on non-crystal people after all. If it is still active, even in some diminished form, then it could also hurt me and Adam. If they were conducting research, then perhaps there are leftovers of that research we could peruse. Or maybe there are places where they kept... erm, organic test subjects, let's say, places where they tested some prototype of the weapon on them. Or perhaps we should explore the outer layers of this structure. The texts I read spoke of the weapon 'feeding' on the fire of the Molten Heart. Perhaps instead of heading towards the Superweapon like moths to a flame, it would be better to find an alternate way to disable it by cutting off its power source. Then again, that might unleash some other calamity, so we shouldn't go through with it without first understanding the consequences. I don't think we can fully trust the overmind to provide us with that information. After all, it was leading you to your... not necessarily death, but at least your incapacitation without warning you. It might not really be all there. Perhaps the overmind of this place has been damaged or corrupted in some way."
For some reason the idea of zombie Crystal people was on her mind, even though such a thing made little sense. For one, they were already inorganic, already undead in a way. Still, the idea of being surrounded by things that were once alive made her uncomfortable. What if they suddenly came alive and tried to steal her body?

Ask Clate to search for places that could accommodate beings made of flesh. If they needed to test the weapon, they would need test subjects and those would most likely be near the labs they used to conduct the tests. Alternatively, search for libraries or control rooms. If those aren't found either, then see if he can identify where the device that's sucking power out of the Molten Heart is.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:00:47 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3267 on: October 08, 2020, 07:41:38 am »

Kara turned towards Clate and shined her Dynamo Lantern towards him, trying to make out the letters on his body. She fumbled with her beak a couple of times until she finally managed to hit the button that activated the radio stuck on the inside of her helmet. Clate didn't need the radio to hear her, he could just sense the vibrations on her suit, so it was mostly for Adam's benefit.
"Perhaps we shouldn't rush in blindly. That weapon was meant to be used on non-crystal people after all. If it is still active, even in some diminished form, then it could also hurt me and Adam. If they were conducting research, then perhaps there are leftovers of that research we could peruse. Or maybe there are places where they kept... erm, organic test subjects, let's say, places where they tested some prototype of the weapon on them. Or perhaps we should explore the outer layers of this structure. The texts I read spoke of the weapon 'feeding' on the fire of the Molten Heart. Perhaps instead of heading towards the Superweapon like moths to a flame, it would be better to find an alternate way to disable it by cutting off its power source. Then again, that might unleash some other calamity, so we shouldn't go through with it without first understanding the consequences. I don't think we can fully trust the overmind to provide us with that information. After all, it was leading you to your... not necessarily death, but at least your incapacitation without warning you. It might not really be all there. Perhaps the overmind of this place has been damaged or corrupted in some way."
For some reason the idea of zombie Crystal people was on her mind, even though such a thing made little sense. For one, they were already inorganic, already undead in a way. Still, the idea of being surrounded by things that were once alive made her uncomfortable. What if they suddenly came alive and tried to steal her body?

Ask Clate to search for places that could accommodate beings made of flesh. If they needed to test the weapon, they would need test subjects and those would most likely be near the labs they used to conduct the tests. Alternatively, search for libraries or control rooms. If those aren't found either, then see if he can identify where the device that's sucking power out of the Molten Heart is.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

[12,2,15]
Clate looks around, scanning the area.

He says that there looks like there might be areas near the center that are cooler. He points to a specific place, which you obviously can't see, but assume Adam can.

He points towards another place, this time up and parallel to here. He says there's a lot of data stored there, but in a form only crystal people can access. The "Swim through to learn" kind.

Finally, he says the entire structure seems to be drawing power from where it connects to the molten heart. Its conducting through everything, but it starts down at the bottom, where the crystal is literally submerged in magma.

Hard to say. According to the info in some tablets friend Kara uncovered, the shattering occurred right after the crystal superweapon was used.

Now, the possibility exists that the overmind simply had to incorporate too many new crystal people into the hivemind, causing some sort of overload. It's also possible that the weapon malfunctioned somehow, or was sabotaged.
Seeing what I am seeing right now I almost suspect sabotage of some sort, seeing as it is still immobilizing and/or killing crystal creatures that get close to it to this very moment. Though we can't rule out some catastrophic, cascading malfunction either. I'm afraid we'll only get an answer to this question once the machine is turned off and we can inspect it.

Assist my companions as much as I can via giving directions or stoneforming, but don't get any closer to the shattering room.

Move on to our objective, use wizard vision to get forewarning of problems or threats. 

Clate projects a tunnel as far as he can, but by the point it gets within about 10 feet of the central structures it grinds to a halt. He tries again but it refuses to go any further.  Adam follows the tunnel, intent on using his crystal golem to continue it, but the golem doesn't  get much further than Clate's current position before keeling over, separate pieces clanking to the floor and rolling back down.  Adam moves to the end of the tunnel and examines it. Solid stone for about 10 feet until reaching the complex. Explosives might work...but crystal tends to facture and enough boom to blow away 10 feet of stone might put a crack through this entire place for all he knows. Diving might be the more reasonable option.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 09, 2020, 03:25:47 am »

He says that there looks like there might be areas near the center that are cooler. He points to a specific place, which you obviously can't see, but assume Adam can.
And what can Adam see there exactly?

He points towards another place, this time up and parallel to here. He says there's a lot of data stored there, but in a form only crystal people can access. The "Swim through to learn" kind.
Are they slabs we could pick up and bring back for Clate to read, or are they too big? Or is that place not near the core enough to be dangerous to our crystal boyo?

but the golem doesn't  get much further than Clate's current position before keeling over, separate pieces clanking to the floor and rolling back down.
Can we repair this crystal baby, or is it destroyed for all intents and purposes?

Diving might be the more reasonable option.
Assuming I used Es to move the crystal out of the way (move it down to the side of the rest of the tunnel), which material spheres seem appropriate here? Akhmah probably since it's crystal, but perhaps also Yengenze or Balarim? And how many reinforcements of each sphere to move this amount of material?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 09, 2020, 10:43:57 am »

Direct the flighty friends to try and unlock the door.  If they are catatonic, direct one of the human adventure kids to give it a try.

While they're doing that, walk a few paces to the right of the door, then use the tungsten toothpick to smash a hole in the wall at eye level.  Nyw's eye level.  Stand away from the hole and loudly ask what's going on.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 231