Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385682 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3315 on: November 04, 2020, 08:53:45 am »

"I would suggest straight shoving the item in there rather than trying to communicate with something we aren't sure even has the ability of communication, or which might mess with a mind in unpredicatable ways. Should we really want to do it though, I do think I would be a better candidate for it since my mind has been hardened somewhat after years of meditation to ward against diving mishaps. Clate, I think it's your call to make, this are your, erm, legacy after all."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 04, 2020, 09:33:37 am »

I am, unsure of what is the best way to proceed. I can tell you that there is no trace of the overmind here. I can feel the overmind at the edges of this place, but not here. As such, I'm guessing that connecting our mind with this...whatever it is, is not going to be pleasant. Don't forget, even though it might be malfunctioning right now, it was still designed to defeat organics.

If it is drawing power from the magma, I would propose attempting to cut its power source there.
If it is self sustained, I feel it would be best to try and put it in the box as quickly as possible.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: November 04, 2020, 09:41:07 am »

"As far as I can see, the artifact seems not to draw any power right now and appears pretty isolated. The spikes around it also do not seem to 'contain' it energetically, only physically. I agree with just boxing it."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: November 04, 2020, 11:56:57 pm »

((Apologies.))

Stop getting closer.  Sheath the murakumo, but keep the slave trap (which isn't a sword) out in the other hand.

Ask if the wolfman can speak.  And point out that things probably won't get better if it delays; Nyw's the only one here right now, but other people will be along eventually.  They probably won't be as willing to talk as Nyw.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3319 on: November 05, 2020, 07:00:18 pm »

"Alright. Boxing it it is, then."

The question is... How do I do this? Do I just grab it? Or do I try to shoot it? Grabbing means I'd have to touch it. Not to mention somehow dislodging it and lifting it with one arm. Shooting it with the telegrabber risks breaking it, since it barely fits. Not to mention all the dangers of applying two diving effects to that weird thing at the same time. ... Ugh. So nervous. Why didn't they leave clear instructions?
Screw it. I gotta try something. We came this far. I can't stop now.

"I'm gonna remove my helmet. I'll need to make a perfect shot and it would just get in the way."

Since this area was meant to store organics, it has a bearable temperature, right? Remove my helmet and arm section of the suit so that they won't impede my aim. Lie down and take very careful aim at the sphere with the telegrabber. Make sure the stasis box is properly attached so that when I pull the trigger the sphere gets placed in the box. Continue taking careful aim. I'll only get one shot at this, I have to take my time and make it as close to perfect as possible.

"Hey, Clate. If this works out we could make some sort of annual celebration out of it. Where Crystals and Organics meet and exchange presents and have fun. We could name it Boxing Day, hehe."

When I feel ready, pull the trigger.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: November 06, 2020, 09:17:32 am »

"Hey, Clate. If this works out we could make some sort of annual celebration out of it. Where Crystals and Organics meet and exchange presents and have fun. We could name it Boxing Day, hehe."

That would be nice, actually. A good way of bringing our species together. I'd like that...though we may want to workshop the name a bit Clate sends over the radio, fidgeting. All this standing around and being unable to help is making him more nervous than ever before.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3321 on: November 06, 2020, 12:18:14 pm »

((Apologies.))

Stop getting closer.  Sheath the murakumo, but keep the slave trap (which isn't a sword) out in the other hand.

Ask if the wolfman can speak.  And point out that things probably won't get better if it delays; Nyw's the only one here right now, but other people will be along eventually.  They probably won't be as willing to talk as Nyw.

The wolf man begins growling out something. Seems like speech but you can't make out the words; they're garbled by teeth and his bestial configuration. You're honestly not even sure its in a language you understand.

"Alright. Boxing it it is, then."

The question is... How do I do this? Do I just grab it? Or do I try to shoot it? Grabbing means I'd have to touch it. Not to mention somehow dislodging it and lifting it with one arm. Shooting it with the telegrabber risks breaking it, since it barely fits. Not to mention all the dangers of applying two diving effects to that weird thing at the same time. ... Ugh. So nervous. Why didn't they leave clear instructions?
Screw it. I gotta try something. We came this far. I can't stop now.

"I'm gonna remove my helmet. I'll need to make a perfect shot and it would just get in the way."

Since this area was meant to store organics, it has a bearable temperature, right? Remove my helmet and arm section of the suit so that they won't impede my aim. Lie down and take very careful aim at the sphere with the telegrabber. Make sure the stasis box is properly attached so that when I pull the trigger the sphere gets placed in the box. Continue taking careful aim. I'll only get one shot at this, I have to take my time and make it as close to perfect as possible.

When I feel ready, pull the trigger.

[13]
You squeeze the trigger and the thing vanishes. You check the container and it seems to be there. You wait for something to happen. For the entire place to start collapsing in on itself or for the screaming to start.  And nothing happens. Everything is quiet.

Hmmm thats slightly more disconcerting.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: November 06, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »

Wizard eyes time. Is anything changing/happening now that the core was removed?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3323 on: November 06, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »

Kara released her breath, trembling from the stress.
"Thank fortune for blessing my efforts with success."
Well, don't declare total victory yet. But it didn't blow up in my face and I didn't break it, so it's at least *a* victory.
She hastily put her suit back on and spoke into the radio.
"I did it! It's in the box. Did it work?"
"Maybe that thing is just a place to store minds and not the actual thing that takes them? Clate, I'm going to start slowly moving this thing towards you so you can take a closer look. The moment you feel something weird or something shifting in the Crystal presence, do some loud noise or something and I'll stop immediately."

Very slowly start moving the box towards Clate so he can take a closer look. If he tells me something is weird or I notice the box doing anything weird, stop immediately!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 07, 2020, 04:09:16 pm »

"Hrm.  This isn't working.  Maybe you should just shoot its other leg, and I will drag it to the police."

Pull out a bottle of cave spider venom, and hold it in clear view.  Say "Medicine.  For you", then set it on the ground, before taking a few steps back.  Gesture to the bottle, then to the dog man, and then shrug.

If it doesn't react at all for at least one minute, take out an injectable tranquilizer, and put away all weapons.  Then wait for gold bird to take a shot, and charge the wolf, injecting it and grabbing it once close enough.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: November 08, 2020, 10:34:24 am »

Name: Währeige
Description: An Ethral, a bit smaller and scruffier than average. It's difficult to tell where the grease stains end and his natural fur colour starts. He wears a mask with several clockwork mechanisms of unknown purpose and several interchangeable lenses.
Goal: Just wants to tinker

Stats
Str:7 
Dex:12 
Spe:10 
End:8 
Awa:7 
Cun:16
Kno:13 
Ner:10

Skills:
+2 Electrical
+2 Mechanical
+1 Machine control
+1 Chemical
+1 Weaponsmith
+1 Armoursmith

Inventory:
Mask
Clothes
Dynamo Lantern
Field Lighter
Empyrean Nail
100 feet of Silk Rope
2 units of Electronic Junk
2 units of Mechanical Junk

Wake up? Take a look around?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:37:39 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: November 08, 2020, 11:57:41 am »

Shoot the Wolfman if he fails to take the venom.
Spoiler: Birb (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: November 09, 2020, 10:12:50 am »

Okay, Okay, be cool. We got this.

Let Kara come closer to me with the box. Keep focusing on wether I feel it having an effect on me. If I do feel it having an effect on me, let Kara know and immediatly start backing up.

Assuming I don't get gibbed here, also see if I can make a connection with the Overmind now that the McGuffin is in the box.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3328 on: November 10, 2020, 09:04:08 am »

Wizard eyes time. Is anything changing/happening now that the core was removed?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

The odd haze that you assumed was produced by the weapon remains in place even after the actual thing itself is removed. It doesn't follow the weapon or connect back to it in any way either.

Okay, Okay, be cool. We got this.

Let Kara come closer to me with the box. Keep focusing on wether I feel it having an effect on me. If I do feel it having an effect on me, let Kara know and immediatly start backing up.

Assuming I don't get gibbed here, also see if I can make a connection with the Overmind now that the McGuffin is in the box.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Kara released her breath, trembling from the stress.
"Thank fortune for blessing my efforts with success."
Well, don't declare total victory yet. But it didn't blow up in my face and I didn't break it, so it's at least *a* victory.
She hastily put her suit back on and spoke into the radio.
"I did it! It's in the box. Did it work?"
"Maybe that thing is just a place to store minds and not the actual thing that takes them? Clate, I'm going to start slowly moving this thing towards you so you can take a closer look. The moment you feel something weird or something shifting in the Crystal presence, do some loud noise or something and I'll stop immediately."

Very slowly start moving the box towards Clate so he can take a closer look. If he tells me something is weird or I notice the box doing anything weird, stop immediately!

Over the next several minutes Kara very slowly walks closer to Clate, who has backed far off from the center of the outpost just to make sure any odd feelings he gets are new. She gets the weapon in its box right up to Clate and puts it on the ground in front of him. He doesn't die or get de-bodied.  He examines the weapon using his stone senses. [11] Hmm. The weapon itself is not active. Its like a gun thats been fired: it has done its work and the damage it did continues on without its influence.  The haze, the damage to the overmind, the shattering of the crystal race all happened and continues to happen after a single "Shot". So its not a "turn it off" but a "Reverse it" situation.

[16] He looks at the weapon itself carefully, trying to decipher its workings but he feels like a monkey staring at a nuclear reactor. This is far beyond his scope and its using principles he's not even familiar with, let alone can manipulate.

Shoot the Wolfman if he fails to take the venom.
Spoiler: Birb (click to show/hide)
"Hrm.  This isn't working.  Maybe you should just shoot its other leg, and I will drag it to the police."

Pull out a bottle of cave spider venom, and hold it in clear view.  Say "Medicine.  For you", then set it on the ground, before taking a few steps back.  Gesture to the bottle, then to the dog man, and then shrug.

If it doesn't react at all for at least one minute, take out an injectable tranquilizer, and put away all weapons.  Then wait for gold bird to take a shot, and charge the wolf, injecting it and grabbing it once close enough.

The wolfman takes the venom and pours some of it onto his injury. He continues to speak [1] and slowly Nyw begins to pick up words here and there. Its an old language, human in origin, something he'd heard used by church members. Deep Gothic he thinks? A lot of the early human writings are apparently in it.  He can only make out scattered words but the man seems to be ranting about...perfection, transformation, and persistence.

Name: Währeige
Description: An Ethral, a bit smaller and scruffier than average. It's difficult to tell where the grease stains end and his natural fur colour starts. He wears a mask with several clockwork mechanisms of unknown purpose and several interchangeable lenses.
Goal: Just wants to tinker

Stats
Str:7 
Dex:12 
Spe:10 
End:8 
Awa:7 
Cun:16
Kno:13 
Ner:10

Skills:
+2 Electrical
+2 Mechanical
+1 Machine control
+1 Chemical
+1 Weaponsmith
+1 Armoursmith

Inventory:
Mask
Clothes
Dynamo Lantern
Field Lighter
Empyrean Nail
100 feet of Silk Rope
2 units of Electronic Junk
2 units of Mechanical Junk

Wake up? Take a look around?
The party is split right now, so you have three options.
1. Join RC, Pancaek, and Paris over in the secret weapons research lab of a now pseudo extinct ancient race of crystal people.
2. Join Sy and M1895 in their interrogation of a possible serial killer wolf man
3. Appear in the city Sy and m1895 are current in, but not with them. Its the capital city of the human empire underground so I'm sure you can find something to do.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: November 10, 2020, 09:42:54 am »

Well shit. So.
Good news: this thing isn't actually dangerous. It's like a bullet that has already been shot.
Bad news: The effect of it being "shot" is still ongoing. It's not so much the weapon, but the effect of it going off that's still causing all of the crystal race's problems
Equally bad news: It's not so much that we have to stop the weapon, we have to reverse the effect of it. And on my first look at the weapon I can say with complete confidence that I have no idea what the hell is going with it.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 231