Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385204 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3330 on: November 10, 2020, 10:17:10 am »

The odd haze that you assumed was produced by the weapon remains in place even after the actual thing itself is removed. It doesn't follow the weapon or connect back to it in any way either.

Does it connect to anything else? Is it tethered to something or someplace?

Go back to that earlier wall we encountered that we were blocked by (which I think leads somewhere else than to the weapon room we just explored?), and use the labradorite rod to create an entrance and see what lies beyond. If that doesn't work, carefully use wizard eyes to 'dig out' a tunnel.

Nevermind, was the same room apparently. Instead ponder the following: if I did a dive with Balarim => Xi to summon the knowledge of how to reverse the effect of the weapon using the tools we have, how many reinforcements of each would it take? Or do I need to involve another sphere?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:28:45 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3331 on: November 10, 2020, 10:37:04 am »

"So we have an experimental weapon that even its creators did not know how it worked and we have to not just figure out how it works but also reverse its effects? That's just great. I guess we could En the entire thing so that it was never fired in the first place but that item has affected the underworld to such an extreme extent we have no idea how removing it would change the present or if doing so would even reverse things instead of just making things worse. ... I suppose there might be someone I could bring this thing to that might be able to figure it out, but... I'm not sure what she would ask in return."

"Adam, can you take a look at that room? Its structure reminds me of the room we found the flame orb in in our first expedition, so I'm wondering if you know how they're related, if it's some sort of diving thing or if it was merely meant to amplify the effects of the weapon. With the luck we're having I bet we'll need to get that flame orb artifact from the church to fix it."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:01 am »

Friend Kara, you are good with machines, no? How about you take a look at it? I'll explain things as we go along, hopefully without colouring your perception of the weapon too much so that we can have a fresh perspective on it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3333 on: November 10, 2020, 11:15:07 am »

"That's like saying a plumber would be able to replace a medic because organic bodies are full of pipes... But I guess a plumber is a better medic than a trader. ... Okay, I'll give it a shot."

With Clate's help try to examine the weapon and figure out anything I can about it. Even inconsequential things might be helpful. Do some sketches/flowcharts/logic diagrams in my notepad if it would help.

Even if I can't figure out how to fix it, maybe I can at least figure out where the trigger is. Then all I have to do is fire it in reverse. Somehow. It was meant to be able to transfer organic consciousness to Crystal after ripping them out, so that functionality should be in there somewhere. Maybe there was a bug that prevented that functionality from activating. If so, then all I need to is find a way to activate the "mind transfer" functionality without triggering the "mindrip" part.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: November 11, 2020, 01:17:32 pm »

As much as I would want to be in the secret crystal research lab, it wouldn't really make sense.

I'm in the city. Empyrean, right?
Währeige always has an interest in tunnel bores, more of an obsession really. He heard there's a new bore in town. He goes to check it out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: November 11, 2020, 07:52:20 pm »

Can Nyw get a point in translate for that crit?

In any case, hold out a hand for the medicine once the wolfman is done with it, and return it to its pouch.  Then hold out a hand to the wolfman.  If Nyw can remember the words for "come" and "assistance", say them.  Possibly throw in "doctor" and "translator", if Nyw's really feeling erudite today.  Hopefully it will come peacefully and we can lead it back to the tunnels without trouble.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: November 12, 2020, 11:03:37 am »

Help Kara take a look at the weapon to figure out how to undo/reverse the effect.

If Kara can't figure it out, go take another walk through the crystal library to search for clues about the weapon and how to reverse the effect, then try again to figure out with (hopefully) this new info.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3337 on: November 14, 2020, 12:09:18 pm »

The odd haze that you assumed was produced by the weapon remains in place even after the actual thing itself is removed. It doesn't follow the weapon or connect back to it in any way either.

Does it connect to anything else? Is it tethered to something or someplace?

Go back to that earlier wall we encountered that we were blocked by (which I think leads somewhere else than to the weapon room we just explored?), and use the labradorite rod to create an entrance and see what lies beyond. If that doesn't work, carefully use wizard eyes to 'dig out' a tunnel.

Nevermind, was the same room apparently. Instead ponder the following: if I did a dive with Balarim => Xi to summon the knowledge of how to reverse the effect of the weapon using the tools we have, how many reinforcements of each would it take? Or do I need to involve another sphere?

The haze seems to just be floating in the place the weapon used to occupy. Doesn't seem definitely connected to anything...but it might be connected to the spikes? It's just sort of like a cloud in that area.

Hmm. 5 each?

"That's like saying a plumber would be able to replace a medic because organic bodies are full of pipes... But I guess a plumber is a better medic than a trader. ... Okay, I'll give it a shot."

With Clate's help try to examine the weapon and figure out anything I can about it. Even inconsequential things might be helpful. Do some sketches/flowcharts/logic diagrams in my notepad if it would help.

Even if I can't figure out how to fix it, maybe I can at least figure out where the trigger is. Then all I have to do is fire it in reverse. Somehow. It was meant to be able to transfer organic consciousness to Crystal after ripping them out, so that functionality should be in there somewhere. Maybe there was a bug that prevented that functionality from activating. If so, then all I need to is find a way to activate the "mind transfer" functionality without triggering the "mindrip" part.

Help Kara take a look at the weapon to figure out how to undo/reverse the effect.

If Kara can't figure it out, go take another walk through the crystal library to search for clues about the weapon and how to reverse the effect, then try again to figure out with (hopefully) this new info.

[7]
You and Clate go over the weapon, him explaining to you what he can see or understand and you attempting to comprehend his lack of comprehension.  After about a half hour of talk Kara starts going through her notes, crossing things out and circling other things, checking back with Clate every so often.  Then, finally, she sets them down.

"I think...Ok this is my best guess. Imagine it like a radio broadcast.  The overmind is already like that, right? A sort of pervasive...signal.  They were attempting to use that existing signal as the medium for their new broadcast. This weapon generated the signal initially, but it was carried and continued by that existing broadcast. The mistake was that the two signals interfered with each other in a way they didn't expect. Its sort of canceling them both out, but its stuck on loop. Thats why removing the thing didn't stop it: this is just the way to start the broadcast, once it begins it will keep going on its own.

If we're gonna stop it we need to...well I guess the way to put it is that we need to cancel out their weapon signal.  And to do that we need to broadcast a new signal, one that will replace it...or fix it...or cancel it."

Can Nyw get a point in translate for that crit?

In any case, hold out a hand for the medicine once the wolfman is done with it, and return it to its pouch.  Then hold out a hand to the wolfman.  If Nyw can remember the words for "come" and "assistance", say them.  Possibly throw in "doctor" and "translator", if Nyw's really feeling erudite today.  Hopefully it will come peacefully and we can lead it back to the tunnels without trouble.

Pretty sure you get points for crits only with weapon skills.

Nyw takes the meds back and then struggles through a bit of Deep Gothic, telling the wolf to follow him.  The Wolf appears a bit hesitant but does seem to be willing to follow. Though with the injured leg it can't move too well. Nyw would have to  lend it a shoulder or a crutch. 

As much as I would want to be in the secret crystal research lab, it wouldn't really make sense.

I'm in the city. Empyrean, right?
Währeige always has an interest in tunnel bores, more of an obsession really. He heard there's a new bore in town. He goes to check it out.

There are hundreds of bores moving in and out of the city. Its the capital after all. So instead of going after one particular one, you head down to the main hangout for such things. There's an area along the major pathway through the city where pilgrims, traders, and other passersby hang out, refuel, sell goods and otherwise mingle. The place is a constantly bustling chaos of people, tents, wandering storefronts and religious groups. Of all of these things, the more interesting are perhaps the bores that are quiet; the ones that don't have an obvious reason to be here, that aren't selling or unloading or covered in iconography.  You find one sitting apparently abandoned and locked up, with a strange pattern of scarring and repairs across its upper half.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3338 on: November 15, 2020, 05:13:05 am »

"Hmm... I don't know if radio is the best analogy but... Hear me out here. If this was just a radio I could simply fiddle with it until I reversed the signal and cancelled it out. But this thing is nothing like a radio. I have no idea if I can reverse the signal. And fiddling with it is dangerous. If it's a transmitter that can send a signal all across the underworld, then a wrong transmission could mean various horrible things for us, for the Crystal people, for all living things. So perhaps a more... brute force approach could work. We don't need to cancel the signal. We simply need to drown it out to the point where it ceases to exist."

"Here's my theory: If the overmind is a signal that pervades all stone, that uses the stone as a medium of transmission, then it should have an origin point, a point where it comes from, a point where it is strongest. From what we've seen, the overmind still exists near large concentrations of Crystal, but it is weak, fractured. So, what if we went to the largest concentration of Crystal we can find, to a point where the overmind is strongest and used this weapon to boost its signal even further, to cut through the weapon signal and reach all Crystal of the local area? Do you think, if we took this to one of those Crystal trees you mentioned, we could hook it up there and have it amplify the original Crystal signal? If we can boost the original signal enough, then the weapon signal shouldn't matter, right?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: November 15, 2020, 11:53:35 am »

((Sorry for being away for so long))
I’ll give my 100 fathoms towards the adding of life support systems, leaving 400 requisite fathoms remaining
Rhea wakes up and noticed everyone’s left. She must’ve fallen asleep for a while. She found a note near a teleportation knife explaining that Adam, Kara and Clate are at the Molten Heart to deal with the Superweapon, along with instructions on how to use the knife. As she doesn’t have a heat suit, she decides to go outside. Upon opening the door, she notices an Ethral with a mask of various clockwork parts observing the bore. Hi. I see you’re looking at the bore here. What drew your attention?
((NAV, hi))
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:04:31 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: November 15, 2020, 01:47:24 pm »

"I think going to a strong concentration of crystal would be a good idea, but before we try anything novel we could just ask the overmind how to reverse or cancel the deleterious signal. Perhaps it retains enough knowledge of how this thing works to be able to give us detailed instructions on how to undo this.

Alternatively, after some meditation I've determined that the dive required to divine the method of fixing this is doable. Not easy, and I'd definitely want a good sacrifice and some prep work, but it's a viable option.

Clate, it's up to you."

Help Clate with figuring this shit out.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:33:34 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: November 15, 2020, 05:55:28 pm »

Let me take another look at this thing. Now that Friend Kara has given me an idea of what it is and how it should work, I may be able to look at it in a more targeted way and figure something out. If I can, then I think we are already in the correct place to solve the problem. Seeing as this is the place the original signal was started and then catastrophically cascaded from, it would make sense that we should transmit the cancellation signal from here as well.

Going to somewhere else where the overmind is wouldn't really help much in regards to the signal, I don't think. When I spoke with the overmind in the other ruin it was through a kind of, ah, wired connection if you will. So that wouldn't help us with this 'wireless' signal, otherwise the Overmind surely would have already devised some way to do something in all the time it has had.

However, if I am not able to glean the way to cancel out the signal, we may still have to go ask the Overmind. Or let Friend Adam attempt his dive.

Now that Kara has told me the basics of what this thing is and how it works, take a look at it and this entire situation again (both in the general sense and using my crystal powers. Approach the problem from multiple angles if need be). Armed with the new info, try and figure out the way to send out a new signal that cancels out or replaces the one that is currently gimping the overmind.

Have Kara brainstorm with me if I think that could help.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: November 16, 2020, 11:57:02 am »

Hi. I see you’re looking at the bore here. What drew your attention?
((NAV, hi))
"So it isn't abandoned after all. Hello!

What drew my attention? Well it was the rather interesting state of the bore and it's repairs. What even happened to it? Y'see I'm a licensed bore mechanic, among other things, and I see a bore that looks like it might need a bit of TLC."

Look at bore. Attempt to discern model/year/place of manufacturing?

What sort of repairs are on it, and how high quality?

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: November 16, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »

Hi. I see you’re looking at the bore here. What drew your attention?
((NAV, hi))
"So it isn't abandoned after all. Hello!

What drew my attention? Well it was the rather interesting state of the bore and it's repairs. What even happened to it? Y'see I'm a licensed bore mechanic, among other things, and I see a bore that looks like it might need a bit of TLC."

Look at bore. Attempt to discern model/year/place of manufacturing?

What sort of repairs are on it, and how high quality?

According to other crew mates, who are currently off doing other things, there was a diver who wasn’t careful. Don’t try repairing anything until everyone gets back. The results of the failed dive are in a sphere which is contained by a fungus, wanna take a look? As long as you don’t touch it it should be fine. My name’s Rhea. What’s yours?
Ensure that this newcomer doesn”t damage the bore while examining it
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:54:37 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3344 on: November 16, 2020, 04:19:44 pm »

"If you feel like you can do it, then I'll try to help..."

Kara shall also join the intense thinking session. Some of the below ideas are based on thinking of the problem as a signal or infection, so they might not really apply to this magic thing, but just in case they're relevant.
Can we simply "play" the signal in reverse?
Could we temporarily stop ALL Crystal transmissions to "kill" the signal and stop it from repeating, to force a sort of "hard reset"? Perhaps by using the weapon to force the overmind to transmit some sort of white noise signal equivalent? Would the original signal then "restart" due to the physical presence of Crystal, the Crystal serving as a sort of hard drive?  Has the physical Crystal itself been infected, meaning the corrupted signal would return? Would destroying the infected parts help? Or is it all infected?
Could we use diving to bring the original overmind signal from the past and use that as a guide to repair this thing?
Could we use diving to target the signal contained in the weapon and use it as a template to destroy the signal in its entirety?
Is this thing like an artifact? Could we burn it to go inside it and... I dunno, find the metaphorical representation of the signal and fix it there? Or insert Clate into the signal to serve as a new template?

If we aren't able to come up with a solution that would work here, then consider this: Would my idea of taking the weapon to a large concentration of Crystal (say one of those Crystal trees, the branches of the original Crystal that gave birth to the Crystal people, the ones Clare says exist somewhere off-map) and using the weapon as a sort of transmitter to boost their "original" signal and thus override the corrupted signal via sheer brute force? Or perhaps using their signal as a template for us to repair the signal in our local area?

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 231