Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384599 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:02 am »

"I am somewhat good at plunging the secrets of the veil that separates this world from the others. Also known as diving, yes. What about you?"

The moth gestured towards the rifle tied to his back before replying. "I am a gunner. So I will make sure to provide fire support from afar if we ever end up getting ourselves into a fight."

"Well, it's reassuring to know we won't be lacking in firepower, though I pray to the deep that we won't be needing it anytime soon."

Drett raises his hand. I believe I shall be the resident medical professional. I should be able to patch you up well. Either with your own flesh or someone else's.

"That's good to hear. How are things one the supply side however? Did they actually give you the tools and medicine you might need?"

I'll like to get information from the rest of the crew to see what they're good at so we can coordinate and get this done without a hitch. I think a few of the Ethral are a bit shocked still."

"Hmm, do we have a crew manifesto? Probably not, judging by how our, ah, employers, work.

And yes, it seems that ironically it is the moth people who got shell shocked instead of our mollusc friend here!"
He said, patting Clate on the shoulder.

"Oh! Uh, so, does this bore have a name? I thought it was customary for bores to be named." she asks the ones gathered in the control room before she goes back to scribbling.
"If this vessel has a name already, I certainly didn't catch it before. What kind of names do bores usually have anyway?"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:45:57 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:34 am »

"Well, from what I've read, it depends on a lot of factors. Military drills or drills in novels for example tend to have impressive names like Stonecrusher or Steelbreaker or Unbreakable. Industrial drills' names are usually more whimsical, like The Deep End or The Turning Point. Then there's differences depending on species, for example humans tend to refer to vessels as female so they might give a bore a female name, perhaps the name of a family member or lover. And then there's differences depending on organization, for example they say the church has such bores as Godseeker or Helpful Pilgrim and that a Schluck merchant merely names his bores with a serial number, you know, 'Number 1', 'Number 2', etc. And pirate bores usually have intimidating names or names of monsters, like Borecrusher or Typhoon or Fenrir. Of course, all that I mostly know from books and stories so it might not be the most reliable information."

((Meaning I made all that up, Piecewise has final authority on the matter.))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:51:38 am by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2018, 12:05:16 pm »

"W-wow, there's a lot of people here, isn't it? I think... I'm going to leave this in your hands. Maybe find a nice spot to read..."

Lokam, feeling anxious because of being in such crowded place, quickly goes find a nice and comfy room in which to rest and calm himself. Preferably away from loud places and other rooms.
Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)

You wander downstairs and into one of the many empty rooms, closing the door behind you. Its quieter down here, for the moment.

Drett sighs, itching at the collar just.below his neck. I am all too familiar with these collars...

He steps aboard his new home, and asks the man who cut his restraints, since we only have twenty four hours, how long is it to the destination?

I am fine with the direct route. Dont want a TPK on the first mission after all!

One for the direct route.

AsHul finds a suitable room and does a knowledge check:
1) how are these bombs typically detonated?
2) how are the 'bosses' keeping an eye on us
3) do these bombs prevent diving?
4) do these bombs have failsafes against tampering via diving?
5) is there something important about the bombs that AsHul knows that he hasn't thought to ask in the above questions?

[5,1,17,19,16]
1) A radio signal or one of several internal triggers that are set to go off when the collar is tampered with or loses certain functions or signals.

2)You kept an eye out on your way down to the room and you saw no cameras so they must just be relying on the goons in the ship to physically keep watch on everyone. Which means one of them will probably following you and busting in soon to make sure you're not fucking around.

3) Shrug

4) Shrug

5)Also Shrug.

"Greetings my surprisingly varied friends, pleased to make your acquaintance. Adam Blavatsky Darvaza, at your service.

Now, I would have to agree that following the Journeyman's Path and then veering off before we stumble into Mason and accidentally knock over the village. From what I heard, that path is wide and easily traversable for a bore.

Either way, my first question would be, who of us is the most proficient at driving a boring machine? Any of you got any relevant expe-"

Vikkan energetically rolls the tips of his mustache back into place, their symmetry somewhat ruffled after his head was smashed against a desk. "No need for that kind of happy violence either, I just love driving bores and I could do without the threats."

"Hello there, fellow kidnapees, I'm Vikkan. I drive bores and maintain furnaces for a living, and I agree that we should head down Journeyman's Path. We're on a time limit set by our employers, so I'd say we worry about fulfilling their conditions first and visiting Mason in a more pleasant situation."
he said, noticing the amount of people escaping after saying little or nothing at all.

The human lifted his cap and rubbed the back of his neck a bit. "Oh well. I'll head to the control room and get us on our way since it looks like voting's about done. I'll be there if anyone needs to chat, hide or want to help."

Start moving the bore towards Journeyman's Path and down towards our objective. Time is of essence!

"Ah, I see we have found our driver already, excellent! Tell me captain, would you mind if I observe you for a moment while you drive the bore? Sheer curiosity, you see, I've never seen one of these at work before."

Hopscotch along to the command center and take a looksie at how it looks and how our driver does his thing.

While we are moving, browse through my copy of the black book a little.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Its difficult to hopscotch up a ladder but you make a damn good effort at it. You notice as you go that the former inhabitants of the bore seem to have hung ribbons on the legs of the ladder; most of them are gone but there are a few left that were apparently knotted too tightly or at too hard of an angle to bother with. The command center of the bore is a glass domed room at the very top of the machine. Its got a great view of the world outside, which at this point is just stone with the bright circular end of a tunnel a few hundred feet above you.

In the center of the room, taking up a lot of it, is a brass cylinder. It has cutout holes here and there for access to control panels; through gaps between the outer casing and these controls you can see the massive churning clockwork nightmare that is the bore's "Brain". The sound of what must be hundreds of thousands of metal gears all working at once is like the trickle of running water amplified and made metallic; countless tiny bells ringing.

The actual controls of the ship are quite elaborate; at least they seem that way. There are about a billion little buttons and gauges and knobs and levers and lights and nixie readouts. Seems like controlling this thing totally manually would be a nightmare.

((The black book isn't finished yet, I intend to stick it out for people to read soon, but for the moment its not ready, I'll give you an overview.))

The book you have is a copy, a reproduction rather than an original, so its contents are iffy. There are a lot of copies and none of them are authorized, many are made only by compiling what others say is in the book rather than actually copying the text. Like all of them, including the original, its divided into chapters called strata, organized supposedly from the basic to the most obtuse.  However you've heard that the true book has 10 strata and this copy only has 5, strata I through IV and then , oddly, VIII.

I'll also join you in the Bore control, if''n you don't mind, Vikkan. Not much of a mechanic or operator, generally deal with rock tunnelin' and caves on foot, but it seems everyone else is scurryin' to the darkest corner they can find in here, so may as well join you. Who knows, might even learn something new.

Frax follows the two humans to the Bore Control. He doesn't move to touch any of the controls, but sets himself where he can see things as Vikkan works.

Spoiler: Mole Leno (click to show/hide)
You head up to the bore controls and do a circuit around the circular control room, examining the controls with your paws held behind your back. You bend down low to get a good look at a few things, squinting at readouts and displays, trying to make heads or tails of them and generally only getting a rough Idea, if any idea at all.

Kara was a bit overwhelmed with the number of people around her. She had no idea who was competent or not, who could be trusted, who could be useful, who was a threat. It was going to be hard remembering them all. But it was also kind of exciting. She was on the opposite side of the local area, traveling in a bore, meeting interesting people, going on an adventure in ancient ruins... It was basically everything she wished for! And yet now that she had it, she couldn't enjoy it fully. Not with that thing around her neck. She tried not to think about it and tried to ignore that nagging voice telling her 'be careful what you wish for'.

For now she decided to focus on what was most important. And for now that was getting the bore moving. That Vikkan person looked competent, but she knew looks could be deceiving. If he was incompetent or malicious, then he could cause serious harm. If he was competent, then that gave him power and influence and all her training told her that it's always best to befriend those with power and influence. Not to mention that other competent people should have come to the same conclusion, meaning she could also get to know them better as well. Either way, going to the bore control room was the most logical choice.

Examine the bore control room. What does it look like? How do we see the outside world? Is there a window or do we stare at instruments? Or do we use the window for walking around but close it when drilling?

Edit: Oh, how does the bore's AI communicate its status? Does the control room have something like a multi-purpose screen (maybe something like a split-flap display they have in some departure boards) it can use to speak? If not, would I be able to program it with certain vague responses to certain conditions/commands to give the GM a way to sass the driver and other players?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

You look around the control room, specifically for how to view the world when drilling, since the big window seems a rather poor design choice.  You find a few things: first you find controls for blast shields on the windows- which makes sense- and then a bank of periscopes that give views from all sorts of angles on the bore. Also makes sense. There's a map system as well, a sort of giant paper map embedded in the wall with big dials that let you scroll the view around since the map is extremely large and zoomed in. The mapping seems entirely manual, the map in the machine is all hand drawn, seemingly by several people since the quality varies.

You wander over and examine the Bore's clockwork brain. You really hope nothing in there breaks because getting in to fix anything would be an absolute nightmare. Its got several readouts, lots of nixie displays churning through numbers and those rotating split flap displays outputting text occasionally.  Right now its outputting "STANDBY".

Spoiler: New charsheet (click to show/hide)

Clate heads over to the control room, poking his head inside.

"Hello, gentledrivers. Name's Clate, I'll be your resident handyman. Be sure to yell at me if something on the bore's broken. I'm sure you don't mind if I go stake out a room for our workshop?"

Go explore the rooms other rooms in the bore, and be sure to pick up any junk the previous occupants and/or our captors have left behind. Then, select a suitable room to later build the workshop in.
The bore is set up on a multi-story layered cylindrical design, like most bores. The drill and engines make it bottom heavy so the legs are affixed at the same level as the engine, about where the center of gravity is. Thats all down almost at the very bottom, with only a half-story of sorts between the drill and the engine room. Not enough space to do much more than get in and weasel about, fixing things. Other rooms higher in the bore are larger, all shaped like horizontal arches around the central core supports and ladders. You search through several rooms but there's little of value left. Some trash (+1 structural junk) but not much else.

Nyw stands around watching the others introduce themselves, not even attempting to socialize like a functional human.  Eventually he does break off, leaving to find the small white moth who called herself Wiellste.

Once he does find her, aiming a gun at a strange metallic lizard, he pauses again, waiting and watching.  After a couple seconds of consideration, he begins speaking, loudly and clearly. "We are all allies here, and it would be a grave pity for any of us to inflict wounds upon another.  Pray give the moth some space, friend."

((I swear I was gonna have Nyw visit Wiellste before I saw Yotta's post.))

First things first, count the number of "shady individuals" who are on the bore with us, and judge their apparent competence/attentiveness.  Are they paying attention to where prisoners go, or are they just lazing around?

Second, do they stay in groups?  I'm not going to ambush one alone, but if they're willing to get separated from each other, we might be able to overwhelm one before he pops anyone.

Edit: For the sake of GM positioning knowledge, RP has my char sitting next to Egan's mothkid.  And letting her examine his bomb collar, if that actually happens.

You count 12, all armed with both guns and melee weapons.  They seem to be following people around pretty attentively, though they sort of look like they're trying to be nonchalant. They don't stare at anyone, they just sort of scan the room.

They tend to stay in groups of two, from what you can see, if not more. You've not seen one wander off alone.

Bronqui had brought himself into a corner of the first room. He barely had any time to process it all. He could hear people talking in the background, but for a while he just didn't care. He was, essentially, a slave. After this one mission, surely they'd ask for another, and another. He didn't even have a single Fathom on him. He was buying groceries and such, and the prices were higher than usual. He was going to a bank to pick up some more when he got kidnapped.

Slowly, he rose to his feet. He had to do SOMEthing, or else he might provide a reason to trigger his collar. These people he didn't know were all doing things...he didn't know them. This was a chance to know people, to build connections. Perhaps someone else was checking out the kitchen? If not, at least he'd be able to work on a meal for everyone on their way to those ruins. It might be their final meal, and they might deserve it.

Bronqui, still lost in his head, looks for a kitchen and/or pantry, to check what food is stocked in there, if any, and what appliances and such are available.
You look for food but find nothing. There are a few rooms in the bore that look like they were used for cargo, judging by some hooks welded to the floor, but they're all empty.

Wiellste seems to calm down a little given a concrete task, and an object to learn about.
"Okay, let me see, then."

Take a look at Nyw's collar. No touching. NO TOUCHING.
Just get an idea of the machine's function and how it might be removed.

[5]
You stare at the collar and stand on your tip toes to look it over, even though Nyw is sitting on the ground. You do circle around him, look at the bottom of it, and then bring your face as close as possible without touching it.  This thing is well designed, you can tell. Should find the maker and congratulate them. You make a mental note to do exactly that.

Its got a radio transmitter here, in the back near the locking clasp and the timer.  The remote detonator no doubt. And then you can see other switches set along the circumference, probably triggers for if someone tries to cut it off or use diving to change the consistency or form.  Difficult difficult difficult. Removal dangerous, maybe impossible. But transmutation of bomb into inert substance! Possible. Unless internal switches in bomb? Unknown. Dangerous. Hmmmm.

Vikkan energetically rolls the tips of his mustache back into place, their symmetry somewhat ruffled after his head was smashed against a desk. "No need for that kind of happy violence either, I just love driving bores and I could do without the threats."

"Hello there, fellow kidnapees, I'm Vikkan. I drive bores and maintain furnaces for a living, and I agree that we should head down Journeyman's Path. We're on a time limit set by our employers, so I'd say we worry about fulfilling their conditions first and visiting Mason in a more pleasant situation."
he said, noticing the amount of people escaping after saying little or nothing at all.

The human lifted his cap and rubbed the back of his neck a bit. "Oh well. I'll head to the control room and get us on our way since it looks like voting's about done. I'll be there if anyone needs to chat, hide or want to help."

Start moving the bore towards Journeyman's Path and down towards our objective. Time is of essence!
You look across the controls, memories of how they were made, diagrams and schematics flowing through your memory.  This is an old bore, before your time. Maybe before your parent's time. But you know it.  You start pressing buttons, flipping switches and pulling leavers, going through the startup sequence.  You can feel it as the boiler heats up, the soft thrum of pressurized fluids running out into the legs, the rattle of the engine starting up. The entire machine shifts several inches up as the legs come online. You check the displays behind you and the computer is rapidly scrolling through the split flaps, displaying things for a moment before moving on. 

You double check everything before putting your hand on the drive lever. You squeeze the safety catch and take a deep breath.  Then you throw the lever.  There is a tremendous reverberation as everything in the drive system catches. The blast doors above you iris shut and the machine rocks back and forth, automatically synchronizing the legs.  And then with a sudden lurch it begins to move, rising straight up with enough force and speed that you need to lean on the console to keep your balance. Displays, running dim and quiet on reserve power until a moment ago, flash into brilliant light and whirl with energetic life.  The Bore clears whatever hole they had it in within a few moments and jerks hard to the east, running towards the Journeyman's path.  You carefully sync the map and the thing's movement up so that it will reach the path and move automatically.

The Journeyman's path takes three hours to navigate, spiraling downward to Mason. From there, you drill west, Towards the ruins.  It turns out that the entire cockpit can rotate to  align correctly but the rest of the bore can't so everyone in the lower decks find themselves sitting on the walls.  It takes five hours of drilling to finally reach the spot indicated on the map. You can feel it when the drill breaks through into a hollow area and you pull the main breaks to stop its movement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2018, 12:30:44 pm »

Lokam peeks out of his room, book in hand, after noticing that the bore suddenly stopped. He wanders around until he finds someone alone to talk to.

"Excuse me... Do you think we have arrived to our destination? Sincerely, the idea of exploring some ruins and recovering divine artifacts is kinda exciting..."

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2018, 01:13:04 pm »

Alex looks at Lokram with a bored expression.

"Seems to be the case, let's go."

Alex exits the bore, lantern in hand.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2018, 01:31:54 pm »

”Alright people, we’re already 8 hours in. We have 16 hours left before this place gets a nice new coat of paint. No time to mess around. Anybody who wants to put their neck on the line should get on the outside ASAP. Anybody who doesn’t should get to doing something useful. I’d suggest we get ourselves organized before heading our way out that door to certain doom.”
Check viewports to get an idea of what the immediate area looks like. After I’ve done that, head to the door and wait for teammates to form a exploration team.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2018, 01:51:59 pm »

"I reckon we've reached our destinashun. 'Bout time too, ah was aching to set foot outside. 's pretty cramped in here." Rick said, visibly relieved.
"Now less get down tah bidness, if ya will !" He then excitedly exclaimed.
"I'll go out here and check for danger. Feel free tah tag along if ya feel like it." He finally declared before leaving.

Exit the bore and scout around without getting too far. Try to not get seen by whoever or whatever might lurk out there.

Spoiler: 'Good ol rick' (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2018, 01:53:33 pm »

"I'm all for heading out there lads, but know that I'm not really useful in any sort of combat for the moment" He holds up his bladed shovel "This is more of a tool than a weapon, and I'm no good in a fistfight to begin with. Anyway, I'm handy with placing explosives if it becomes necessary. Other than that, I think I'm mostly going to scrounge up and stockpile components so I can start putting together useful gear, if that's allright with all of you."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:19:42 pm by Pancaek »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2018, 02:20:57 pm »

After Vikkan pulled the brakes and performed a few more checks, he left the control room to find the rest of the press-ganged crew to get them to work towards their common objective; namely, getting the relic and not dying.

"We have arrived my friends, we need to get moving!" he called as he went around the bore, trying to find and coax people out of their hiding holes to get things done, and inviting them to follow him towards the bore's main exit.

"I'm assuming the relic will need some walking around to find, which's why we should set up teams, just in case. Walking around all by ourselves might be a problem, as there'll be no one to help in case of trouble." he explained while people started leaving the bore without waiting for any type of teams to be set up.

Vikkan's mustache twitched a little. "We really should work together. Who here has lanterns? We should have at least one per team." he asked, raising his.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2018, 02:32:18 pm »

"I have a lantern. Going in groups of at least two is probably a good idea, who knows what's out there."

Hotfire90

« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »

Alex stopped exiting the bore and raised his lantern. "I've got one."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2018, 03:07:39 pm »

"...I like the idea of small groups..."

Lokam coughs a little and tries to speak more loudly to be heard. He's visibly shaking.

"Anyone wants t-to... go with me?"

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »

"I will go with the driver. But I am not sure if a group of two will be enough, unless we have enough fighters for each group."
As he spent most of his time in the crowded room with the driver and the others who wanted to watch his work, he wasn't very sure just how many people were properly armed or able to fight in the group.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2018, 03:32:18 pm »

"The man has a point. We should try to get at least one fighter in each group, regardless of number. I suppose one group could go without a fighter, but they'd have to stick to the vicinity of the bore so they can run to safety if something does wander near here."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2018, 03:44:12 pm »

"You're right, we should have at least one combat-capable people per group. I can't even brawl properly and I don't have any weapons, so I'll only be a lantern-bearer. If push comes to shove I guess I could hit any threats with it but I doubt it'll do much."

Vikkan looked at the assembled group before adding: "Does anyone who has undisclosed skils or friends they'd rather not part with want to speak up right now?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 231