Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385216 times)

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »

Follow mustacheguy for now.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2018, 06:52:15 pm »

((Silly Piecewise, Wiellste is Tali, not Mordin~))

Nyw sighs upon hearing Wiellste's explanation "Thank you, little one.  It is a pity that I can't remove these collars myself, but I have faith that our allies shall suffice.  Rest now, I shall sit with you while the bore travels."

The large man then leans against the wall and relaxes, but he continues to watch the doorway intently, his expression unreadable under his mask.  He remains utterly still for the rest of the journey, only moving when Wiellste speaks up, or when the bore rotates to navigate some obstacle or another.

Nyw joins the discussion about team compositions late, having waited for Wiellste to get up on her own.  "I agree with Vikkan.  We have more than enough time to complete our task, and larger groups are safer.  We do not know the capabilities of our allies, and some may be less experienced than others; we cannot rely on each individual having sufficient competency to serve in their role.  That said, we have yet to even examine the area.  Plans can be made once we know what challenges await us." 

Once outside, he doesn't even pretend to examine the area, immediately turning to watch the bore's exit, waiting for the guards to come out.  If he catches sight of either mole, or the only abomination capable of speaking, he states that it would please him greatly if they accompany him during the exploration.

Assuming it's safe, leave the bore with the others.  Watch the guards, and keep track of them; are they all accompanying us?  None?

Did the guards sleep during the seven hours of traveling?  If not, waiting until some of them rest during the return journey would be an excellent plan.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:35 pm »

"Your w-way? Are you from... t-the church too?"

"Oh, a fellow Chthonic are you? Splendid! Say, what is your favorite chapter in the Book of Truth? I never got my hands on the real deal, only this copy, unfortunately." he says, showing his inferior copy of the holy book.
"O-ok, it's nice to hear t-that I'm not alone here..."

"...Do you mind if we go to a less crowded place?"

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2018, 08:22:07 am »

"Oh, a fellow Chthonic are you? Splendid! Say, what is your favorite chapter in the Book of Truth? I never got my hands on the real deal, only this copy, unfortunately." he says, showing his inferior copy of the holy book.
"O-ok, it's nice to hear t-that I'm not alone here..."

"...Do you mind if we go to a less crowded place?"

"Uhh, sure, I have a moment. But we'll start searching for that mysterious artifact soon so let's not stray too far, wouldn't want to fall behind!"

After moving away from the largest concentration of people, but without leaving the room itself, he continues in a hushed tone.

"So, what's on your mind, little moth?"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2018, 08:59:44 am »

"It's just that I'm more comfortable speaking when there's no one around. I... dislike crowded places and thought that it would be better to talk somewhere else..."

"These men, they are looking for a divine relic that rigthfully belongs to the Tenebroud Church... But they don't look to be from the church. While I know that I can't do anything alone, don't you think it would be our duty as members of the church preventing them from recovering the relic and deliverig it to the Tenebrous Church? Who knows what these unbelievers could do with such powerful thing..."
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2018, 09:43:27 am »

"It's just that I'm more comfortable speaking when there's no one around. I... dislike crowded places and thought that it would be better to talk somewhere else..."

"These men, they are looking for a divine relic that rigthfully belongs to the Tenebroud Church... But they don't look to be from the church. While I know that I can't do anything alone, don't you think it would be our duty as members of the church preventing them from recovering the relic and deliverig it to the Tenebrous Church? Who knows what these unbelievers could do with such powerful thing..."

"You are right that whatever it is that we're looking for, and whoever these people are, they probably won't be worthy of it. However, making a faulty move too soon would be highly disastrous, given the literal choke hold they have over us right now. But there are other ways of seeing justice served in the end.

For example, if we can survive this ordeal and bring word of these thugs to church officials, they can employ their considerable might and make sure the relic falls into pious hands before long. So for now, it might be smarter if we lay low for a moment, observe our captors and learn what we can. Perhaps also see if there are others of a similar mind here. I doubt that honorable undead for example is pleased with any of this, at all."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11:35 am »

"I don't feel that letting them leave with the relic in their handd to be a good plan.... But if you say so, I will believe in your word."

"Oh, I apologize... I haven't introduced myself yet, right? I'm Lokam Pilgrim, just a simple Aspirant... Say, what layer do you belong to?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2018, 10:18:02 am »

Alex looks at Lokram with a bored expression.

"Seems to be the case, let's go."

Alex exits the bore, lantern in hand.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
”Alright people, we’re already 8 hours in. We have 16 hours left before this place gets a nice new coat of paint. No time to mess around. Anybody who wants to put their neck on the line should get on the outside ASAP. Anybody who doesn’t should get to doing something useful. I’d suggest we get ourselves organized before heading our way out that door to certain doom.”
Check viewports to get an idea of what the immediate area looks like. After I’ve done that, head to the door and wait for teammates to form a exploration team.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
"I reckon we've reached our destinashun. 'Bout time too, ah was aching to set foot outside. 's pretty cramped in here." Rick said, visibly relieved.
"Now less get down tah bidness, if ya will !" He then excitedly exclaimed.
"I'll go out here and check for danger. Feel free tah tag along if ya feel like it." He finally declared before leaving.

Exit the bore and scout around without getting too far. Try to not get seen by whoever or whatever might lurk out there.

Spoiler: 'Good ol rick' (click to show/hide)
Time to see if I'm still any good for fieldwork, I suppose.

And I'd say groups of three at least, if'n we have enough manpower. Groups of two, one person goes down, you have no support if you care enough to haul them t' safety. Three, you might have at least one person still fit an' unburdened, and they can hand off to each other as needed.

I can go with jus' about anyone as a decent close-up fighter and maybe even be useful lookin' at the ruins. Don' have a light myself, though. Could stick with you if you want, Vikkan.

Frax follows the others out of the bore and looks around with them as they reconnoiter the area outside the Bore, seeing if this particular ruin has any familiarity to bits he's seen before.

Vikkan ran a finger around the edges of his mustache, taking a moment to think while grooming his facial hair at the same time. "Since it seems we don't have many combat-capable people I say we stick together at least for the moment. We don't need to be huddled together, mind you, but keeping the entire group at least in visual range of each other will work well enough."

"Who knows? Maybe that relic will be easy enough to find. In case it isn't, we could split in two groups for ease of searching. We only have two people with a doctor's bag and no radios, so any group without our Ethral friends might be in trouble in case of a medical emergency."

"Hence, two groups at most."
he added with a smile.

((We should probably try to keep this simple for both players and GM and not split up just now unless the place's layout is conducive to it. Let's explore a bit first.))

Let's walk around a bit and get a good feel for the place. Are there branching passages? Many paths? An enormous amount of ground to cover that'll require several teams bumbling around?

"Wow, you sure know a lot about bore naming! I am fairly green when it comes to bore stuff, but I know my way around the church and the deep."
"Ah, well, you know, like I said, it's mostly stories. I bet sir Vikkan knows a lot more than I do. But you say you know about the church? Then um..."
Kara got a bit closer and lowered the volume of her voice.
"Do those people look familiar to you? I've heard the church is the most powerful organization amongst humans and whoever kidnapped us appears to be both wealthy and powerful and human."

Adam huddles conspiratorially to Kara and whispers "I have no idea who those people are. They might be connected to the church, but this isn't their modus operandi that I am aware off. We'll have to play this cautiously."

Take a look around, use my knowledge of the occult to see if there's anything giving off relic-y vibes, or at least what direction seems most promising to start exploring in.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
"Right, well, I'm sure we'll divide into groups after we've exited the bore. Let's see if there's any juicy junk out there."

Make sure my lantern battery is cranked to full, then head outside of the bore. Look around where we are, what do I see. Try to spot if there's anything in the vicinity I can grab for juicy crafting junk.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
"Let's try our best!" Auft declared softly, drawing and cocking a long rifle from her cloak.

Exit the bore, follow Vikkan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Moku notices the growing crowd of people exiting the bore, and decides to join, moving a few feet behind the group.

Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
Follow mustacheguy for now.
((Silly Piecewise, Wiellste is Tali, not Mordin~))

Nyw sighs upon hearing Wiellste's explanation "Thank you, little one.  It is a pity that I can't remove these collars myself, but I have faith that our allies shall suffice.  Rest now, I shall sit with you while the bore travels."

The large man then leans against the wall and relaxes, but he continues to watch the doorway intently, his expression unreadable under his mask.  He remains utterly still for the rest of the journey, only moving when Wiellste speaks up, or when the bore rotates to navigate some obstacle or another.

Nyw joins the discussion about team compositions late, having waited for Wiellste to get up on her own.  "I agree with Vikkan.  We have more than enough time to complete our task, and larger groups are safer.  We do not know the capabilities of our allies, and some may be less experienced than others; we cannot rely on each individual having sufficient competency to serve in their role.  That said, we have yet to even examine the area.  Plans can be made once we know what challenges await us." 

Once outside, he doesn't even pretend to examine the area, immediately turning to watch the bore's exit, waiting for the guards to come out.  If he catches sight of either mole, or the only abomination capable of speaking, he states that it would please him greatly if they accompany him during the exploration.

Assuming it's safe, leave the bore with the others.  Watch the guards, and keep track of them; are they all accompanying us?  None?

Did the guards sleep during the seven hours of traveling?  If not, waiting until some of them rest during the return journey would be an excellent plan.

((Since almost everyone here has the same action, I'll  post a single reply for all of your "Look outside" style actions and then address any specific sub actions. ))

Everyone exits the bore through the airlock closest to the ground.  Its still a good 20 foot rope ladder climb down to the surface from the side of the bore. The tunnel is pitch dark except for the area straight ahead, where the drill has smashed though into a cavern. Red-orange light leaks in around the circumference of the drill; combined with the smell of sulfur and the heat its clear they've broken into somewhere volcanic.  They walk to the edge of the bore's drill and sidle around it and out into the cavern as far as they can. The hole is just that, a hole drilled out through a wall; no platform or land to stand on other then the lip of the tunnel. The cavern itself is large- maybe 400 feet tall, with the entrance they made at about the mid point- egg shaped, with flowing patterns of hardened magma all across it.  The bottom third or so of the shape is filled with a pool of still quite hot and active magma, bright enough that it hurts to look at. In that magma, half submerged, are the ruins. They're not stone, they're crystal of some kind, semi-transparent blue almost like ice. The structure is jagged and sharp edged, like a castle made of shards of broken glass.  It looks like it has tilted slightly to one side, as though the foundation has sunk unevenly into the magma.

Swirling, dancing, writhing and snaking around this structure in constant movement is what could only be described as a worm made of stars. Its must be huge, since its length is such that it could wrap around the ruins several times. It keeps slithering through the air, cutting between spires, diving and rising erratically, wrapping the ruins in an uneven, constantly moving embrace. It doesn't have a definite edge that you can see, its like a hazy cloud of darkness studded with bright spots of white light. A constellation escaped from the sky and come to visit terror upon the world, just like the Church says.

The Ruin is in the middle of this lake of lava thats maybe 100 feet below the tunnel, and then out maybe 80 feet across that lake away from the tunnel entrance. Getting to it from here is going to be...very tricky.

Pyro: [6] You know of places like this; you think its one of the ruins of the gemstone people. 
RC: [19] You can't put your finger on it but gosh damn if this place doesn't seem pretty relicy. The space snake is making you think something  is going on here.
Sy: They did not sleep and several of them have followed you guys out and are now standing at a distance behind you.

Kara decided to spend a bit more time examining the control room before joining the rest, now that she had the whole thing to herself.
"What do you think, bore? Do you know anything about this place?" she asked the machine as she checked the various readings, knowing it was unlikely it would answer her.

Check the map. Is there any information on this place? Does it look like the bore has been here before?
Edit: If it isn't on the map, then add it. I guess there's no harm in doing so.

Do I know anything about this place? What about this section of the Local Area in general?

Check the machine's instruments. Do any of them appear to be showing any strange readings?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Dunno if it's necessary, but I'm gonna stick this here since I'm using the bore's instruments.
Spoiler: Nomad Bore (click to show/hide)
You walk over to the map and take a look at it. Its automatically scrolled into place, which is nice, and there is something here. Really just a circle around a section of earth with the label of "RUINS?" on it.  So they knew ruins were here, or at least suspected as much.  You wonder if it hasn't been raided for some particular reason.  You grab a pencil and change the mark to indicate there definitely are ruins here.

[19]
You're not really sure about anything here; its near Mason and a volcanic vein. Thats about all.

You check the instrumentation; its certainly hot out there but there's no readings of poison gas and the oxygen levels look ok. No odd readings otherwise.

Lay on the floor. Arrange all my items around the explosive collar (lay head on book, place fragment under chin, all potions under back of neck, occult junks to the left and right). If I am satisfied that they will all perish with me, and if I am not interrupted by goons, Dive! I assume this is a dangerous situation, what with the explodey and the guys coming to beat me senseless. Take a Silent Night. Head to Balarim for tech, then to Hel for transmute to render the explosive bits inert. Will reinforcing the Tech sphere (Balarim) do anything? If so, spend two rolls there. If not, spend one. Reinforce transmute (Hel) with hmm. Six rolls.

So the final spell will look like:
nerve rolls:
Balarim: 1 or 2
Yengenze: 1 (passage)
Es: 1 (passage)
Hel: 7
Return: 1
Total nerve rolls: 11-12 (at advantage)
Final roll: Balarim (a 60% chance of success) because tech was the material sphere used

Alright, first Dive of the game and of course its high stakes.  You carefully lay down, arranging your items in such a way that you hope they'll be destroyed by the explosion if you fail. Once you are in position, you take a swig of silent night  and immediately feel the world go quiet and calm, the edges of your vision going dark.  You close your eyes,  concentrate, and let the gentle pull of the artifact shard take you away.
(14 + 11 + 2 + 8 + 2 + 19 + 11 + 1 + 14 + 1 + 6)(Advantage reroll: 10). (Final rolls: 12,20)

You open your eyes. Huh, still have eyes open, this is good. The fragmented images of your traversal of the planes still so fresh in your mind that being in normal reality is rather disorienting. You blink and feel the color. Still there, along with all your items and your body. Wonderful. You try to sit up and immediately regret it when the collar doesn't move and just throttles you back to the ground. You try again, more carefully this time and still cannot get up. You try to move to the side and find that you can rotate and scoot around in different directions. So you're not welded to the ground...You have an idea.

You pull out a Fathom, one of the 1 fathom coins made with some alloy including iron, and bring it down near the back of your neck. It rips itself from your fingers and clangs onto the collar.

"Replaced the explosives with a powerful magnet. This is...lateral advancement at worst. I'm gonna call it a minor win because I'm not dead."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2018, 10:25:26 am »

"I don't feel that letting them leave with the relic in their handd to be a good plan.... But if you say so, I will believe in your word."

"Oh, I apologize... I haven't introduced myself yet, right? I'm Lokam Pilgrim, just a simple Aspirant... Say, what layer do you belong to?"

"I don't like it either, we'll want to avoid that if we can, but we'll have to play it careful. Throwing our lives away won't do us any good either, and then the Church will never learn what went down here.

Well met, Lokam the Ethral. I'm just a simple aspirant as well, but I hope to one day climb to the top of the church by, ironically, going deeper."

After seeing the lava filled cave they stumbled into, Adam reflexively wipes the sweat off his brow.

"Well, if this ain't an unwelcome surprise. Oof, this heat is killing me!"

Take a look at that structure. Does it look like the structure and its immediate environment is cooler than the rest of the nearby magma? And relatedly, does it seem like one could survive the heat there at all, perhaps uncomfortably? Or are we talking boiled-alive-instantly here?

Look at that worm thing. Have I ever heard of something similar before? Any clues in the black book perhaps?

How many guards are currently watching us? And do I see any that seem to have a detonator with them of sorts?

Finally, can I see any solidified magma bridge that extends from the cavern wall to the crystal structure that we could potentiall use to walk over there?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:55:55 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2018, 10:32:43 am »

"I'm positively boiling inside my tin can. How are we even supposed to explore in there if it's surrounded by magma? Let alone get to it."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2018, 10:37:32 am »

Lokam decides to stick closer to Adam, for now. His presence was somewhat comforting.

"...Do you recognize these ruins?"

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2018, 10:37:51 am »

"I'm positively boiling inside my tin can. How are we even supposed to explore in there if it's surrounded by magma? Let alone get to it."

"Well, there's always the possibility that that structure over there is cooler than it appears. Or perhaps we can drain this magma somehow, or protect ourselves from the heat? If nothing else I and the other divers could beseech the powers beyond for some assistance."

Lokam decides to stick closer to Adam, for now. His presence was somewhat comforting.

"...Do you recognize these ruins?"

"Can't say I do, I'm afraid. Perhaps this is ruin is linked to the blessed Antediluvians? What do you think, brother Lokam?"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:44:31 am by Radio Controlled »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2018, 10:40:44 am »

Drett sighs as he finally makes his way out of a stupor and the bore, his eyes scanning the cavern under his mask. Nice and bright. At least we do not have to worry about lighting in here.

I don't suppose anyone here can swim through molten rock and make it out alive? He chitters under his breath, Damn my species' ingenuity, if we had more than a day this wouldn't be so damned-above difficult.

Aloud again, he says, It may be better for us to re-enter the cavern from another angle. This one appears to be useless for us.

What information can I glean from this cavern?

Do I know whether or not gemstone people were resistant to molten magma? (assuming this information was shared)
Can I tell what the wormy thing is? A guardian, some anomaly, maybe an old resident?

Just for funsies, can I determine what rocks the cavern walls are made of, and how it differs, if at all, from the surrounding bedrock?

Spoiler: Drett Medizin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:50:06 pm by Gentlefish »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2018, 10:42:32 am »

"Well, there's always the possibility that that structure over there is cooler than it appears. Or perhaps we can drain this magma somehow, or protect ourselves from the heat? If nothing else I and the other divers could beseech the powers beyond for some assistance."
"I'm not really comfortable with using the powers beyond on such a scale, but we might have no choice. If I had parts, I could perhaps try to make a big zipline and heat resistant suits. But alas, our 'employers' have seen it fit to send us here without any materials.

Draining the magma would solve our problem, but I'm unsure as to how we'd go about that. I don't think the bore can withstand the magma, otherwise we could have just driven it right down to the ruins."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2018, 10:44:52 am »

"I'm not really comfortable with using the powers beyond on such a scale, but we might have no choice. If I had parts, I could perhaps try to make a big zipline and heat resistant suits. But alas, our 'employers' have seen it fit to send us here without any materials.

Draining the magma would solve our problem, but I'm unsure as to how we'd go about that. I don't think the bore can withstand the magma, otherwise we could have just driven it right down to the ruins."

"True, we'd need to be very careful about how we go about it, being overly ambitious with the arcane leads to misery and death.

Hmm. Perhaps we could return to Mason and gather the needed materials there?"

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 231