Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385895 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2018, 10:46:22 am »

((no time for a full post))

"Hey. Um, I know it's kind of risky but what if we tied two ropes and a grappling Hook together and then threw that to the ruins? Then we can just slide down like heroes in a book. Only problem is getting it there, but I very the strongest amongst us could do it. Or maybe we could construct some sort of device to do it. Or maybe an Ethral could glide down with it."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:09:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2018, 10:48:26 am »

"True, we'd need to be very careful about how we go about it, being overly ambitious with the arcane leads to misery and death.

Hmm. Perhaps we could return to Mason and gather the needed materials there?"

"I'm all for gathering materials, as you probably know by now, but will we have enough time to do so? And do we even have funds to barter for materials in the first place?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:54 am »

"Hmm yes, draining the magma will be problematic, there's also that thing swirling above the ruins, chances are it will be hostile. This is going to be interesting."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2018, 11:14:17 am »

"Hey. Um, I know it's kind of risky but what if we tied two ropes and a grappling Hook together and then threw that to the ruins? Then we can just slide down like heroes in a book. Only problem is getting it there, but I very the strongest amongst us could do it. Or maybe we could construct some sort of device to do it. Or maybe an Ethral could good down with it."

"I must say I admire your moxie, sister, but while it would get us there it won't solve the issue of this intense heat. Or our wormy friend over there. Or people slipping and falling. It's a rather long way down..."

"True, we'd need to be very careful about how we go about it, being overly ambitious with the arcane leads to misery and death.

Hmm. Perhaps we could return to Mason and gather the needed materials there?"

"I'm all for gathering materials, as you probably know by now, but will we have enough time to do so? And do we even have funds to barter for materials in the first place?"

"Well, we have 16 hours left for our task, so I think that would suffice. It is true that we don't have much in the way of a seed capital, though-" he says, before leaning closer to the small mechsuit and continuing in a hushed voice, "if we could only sell our valuable employees over there, that would surely help us along." he finished with a grin.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2018, 11:18:10 am »

Drett mumbles something under his breath, before turning Adam. You understand it took us eight hours to get here yes? That means another round trip and we're dead by the time we get here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2018, 11:25:07 am »

Drett mumbles something under his breath, before turning Adam. You understand it took us eight hours to get here yes? That means another round trip and we're dead by the time we get here.

"I understand that, yes. However, we won't lose time drilling through rock anymore, and Mason is fairly close by. Assuming we need, say, 2 hours to move to mason. That's 4 hours to and back, and 5 more hours to get back to our 'employers'. That would leave us with 7 hours to get the job done."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2018, 11:41:02 am »

"I don't think these ruins are from God's Army... I'm not really sure, though..."

"To be honest, going into the ruins seems like suicide. And we outnumber them... What do you think?

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2018, 12:25:45 pm »

This isn' antediluvian, Adam. I know of similar ruins, believe it's what we call Gemstone People. Extinct, semi-humanoid creatures that appeared to be made of crystals, like elementals. Limited technology, jus' grown and manipulated crystals - even for structures - by unknown means. That big star-worm thing, though, thas' new. Not seen or heard anything like it before. Might not be original to the ruins. Maybe somethin' related to the artifact we're here fer?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2018, 12:30:12 pm »

((Interesting and probably vital note:

[19:20] Mr.Bones: RC the idea with the magma in this, how it works which is radically unrealistic, I know, is that it has a single main thrust and then has dead end side paths that sometimes end in caverns with pools of magma.
[19:21] Mr.Bones: The entire idea of you going down into that magma is silly, as is building structures around magma, but this is fantasy so I DON'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT
[19:21] Mr.Bones: Journey to the center of the earth rules here
[19:22] Radio Controlled: Convection heat is still an issue though, I assume?
[19:23] Mr.Bones: It is, but much less so. Normally you'd not be able to even be in that cavern, I don't think. Here its following the standard fantasy rules of "Stay a bit back and you'll probably be ok. Don't fall in though"
[19:24] Radio Controlled: Ok then. In this case, for example, are we fine as long as we don't trip and dip into the magma, or will some heat protection still be required to be able to explore that structure?
[19:26] Mr.Bones: You'll be fine as long as you stay at least...oh like 5-10 feet away. Once you get that close you might get a bit crispy but actually touching it is the big danger
[19:29] Mr.Bones: I promise you that if you are ever entering a place where the heat would be fatal without protection, I will let you know before you blunder in
[19:29] Mr.Bones: Assuming you don't blunder in vertically at high speed, of course
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:31:52 pm by Radio Controlled »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »

"A little help? Anyone? No? Well, as Mother Church would say: 'The troubles of this world are shallow, My Child. You will find Peace in the Depths.' Second Stratum, Fifth Vein, first pocket.
Diving has brought me to this point, diving will carry me on."

AsHul Closes his eyes and pictures his Map of The Depths, inscribed on the inner cover of his copy of The Black Book.
material, tech, fundamental forces. Alteration? Thy Path is FourFold. Sealing. Thy Path is ThreeFold. Movement. Thy Path is Threefold

If you've dug yourself a hole you cannot climb out of, Dig Deeper!
Forst, place my other Fathom on the floor at about arm's length, but within easy reach.

Going to go to Tzimtzvot (elemental forces). Reinforce with one roll.
Then through Akhmah to Es (move, control). Reinforce with five rolls.
Move the magnetic force out of the collar and into the Fathom

I hope I still have advantage on my nerve rolls.

So the final spell will look like:
nerve rolls:
Tzimtzvot: 2 (elemental forces: magnetism)
Akhmah: 1 (passage)
Es: 6
Final Sanity Nerve Roll: 1
Total nerve rolls: 10
Final stat roll: Strength(9) + Diving(3) = 12. a 55% chance of success.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:22:57 am by Ozarck »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »

Drett adjusts his mask, looking down over the cavern, another one of his hand unconsciously stroking an antennae. Well. I suppose so long we stay away from the boiling liquid rocks we should be fine, as there are pathways down there. But getting down there is the real question.

Shall we hop back into the bore and use it to get closer?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »

"Hey. Um, I know it's kind of risky but what if we tied two ropes and a grappling Hook together and then threw that to the ruins? Then we can just slide down like heroes in a book. Only problem is getting it there, but I very the strongest amongst us could do it. Or maybe we could construct some sort of device to do it. Or maybe an Ethral could glide down with it."

"I must say I admire your moxie, sister, but while it would get us there it won't solve the issue of this intense heat. Or our wormy friend over there. Or people slipping and falling. It's a rather long way down..."
"I agree, I don't like the heat either, but as long as we don't step on the magma or come too close to it we should be fine. I mean, the most intense heat from magma only reaches like, 10 feet away from it. Anything further and it's uncomfortable but bearable, as long as you don't stay down there for too long." ((Yes, totally gonna pull that :P))

"I'll admit the worm is more difficult. I haven't seen anything like this before. But maybe it will just leave as alone? Or maybe we can take the drill to another spot and then use this spot to try to gauge its reaction to things coming close to it by... I dunno, throwing rocks at it? Or maybe something living like a rat or something."

Drett adjusts his mask, looking down over the cavern, another one of his hand unconsciously stroking an antennae. Well. I suppose so long we stay away from the boiling liquid rocks we should be fine, as there are pathways down there. But getting down there is the real question.

Shall we hop back into the bore and use it to get closer?

"I thought you Ethral did that sort of thing all the time. I mean, I don't mean any offense but based on what I read you build your cities over such magma pools and then glide to the bottom whenever you want, sometimes even using the air currents to fly. If anything, you'd want to be higher so you'd have more time to find a landing spot, right?"

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2018, 02:26:56 pm »

"I thought you Ethral did that sort of thing all the time. I mean, I don't mean any offense but based on what I read you build your cities over such magma pools and then glide to the bottom whenever you want, sometimes even using the air currents to fly. If anything, you'd want to be higher so you'd have more time to find a landing spot, right?"

And I thought "you Corven" were perfectly capable climbers, shouldn't you be at home on that cliff face? Drett sighs, placing a hand on the forehead of his mask before continuing, That was uncalled for of me. My apologies. Simply because "us Ethral" are able to, does not mean we will, or even necessarily even desire to fly above the magma when not within the safe confines of our home cities. It tends to be dangerous.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2018, 02:29:13 pm »

The moth gave a quiet grumble and adjusted his kettle helmet a tad trying to let in some air inside.
"Such obstacles are indeed worrisome. Not only the heat down there, because even if we do find a safe route we still need to worry about that worm."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »

"I am sorry, I meant no disrespect." Kara said with a deep bow.
"It's just that everyone says that, so I assumed it was true, that it was just something you did. I have never met an Ethral before, so I hope you'll be gracious enough to forgive any mistakes I may make while I learn more about you."
Her tone of voice changed to be a bit more mischievous.
"And if you must know, I am a quite decent climber, at least compared to most humans I've seen try to climb." she added with a wink. She'd smile too, but, you know, can't smile with a beak.
"Which is why I suggested I could use my rope and grappling hook to go down there, as long as someone could help me get it anchored down there." she continued more seriously.
"I'm quite confident I could get down there and climb back up. But even I wouldn't risk my life like that without taking proper precautions. After all, one of the first thing Corven learn is that a fall, no matter how small, can be deadly."
"So don't think I'm trying to force you to do anything or that I wouldn't be willing to take the same risks as those I suggested to you. The truth of the matter is that we are in a very difficult situation here. We need to take action to survive or we will all perish. We all would profit from being successful here. So there is no benefit to me being aggressive to you or trying to insult you or trying to lead you to your death."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 231