Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 380979 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2018, 10:07:31 am »

"I don't feel that letting them leave with the relic in their handd to be a good plan.... But if you say so, I will believe in your word."

"Oh, I apologize... I haven't introduced myself yet, right? I'm Lokam Pilgrim, just a simple Aspirant... Say, what layer do you belong to?"

"I don't like it either, we'll want to avoid that if we can, but we'll have to play it careful. Throwing our lives away won't do us any good either, and then the Church will never learn what went down here.

Well met, Lokam the Ethral. I'm just a simple aspirant as well, but I hope to one day climb to the top of the church by, ironically, going deeper."

After seeing the lava filled cave they stumbled into, Adam reflexively wipes the sweat off his brow.

"Well, if this ain't an unwelcome surprise. Oof, this heat is killing me!"

Take a look at that structure. Does it look like the structure and its immediate environment is cooler than the rest of the nearby magma? And relatedly, does it seem like one could survive the heat there at all, perhaps uncomfortably? Or are we talking boiled-alive-instantly here?

Look at that worm thing. Have I ever heard of something similar before? Any clues in the black book perhaps?

How many guards are currently watching us? And do I see any that seem to have a detonator with them of sorts?

Finally, can I see any solidified magma bridge that extends from the cavern wall to the crystal structure that we could potentiall use to walk over there?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[14] You look at that worm thing. You look in the black book. You look back at the worm thing.  Hmm.  You flip through pages. 

"There are lots of dangerous things in the world. Non-believers say this is because god is cruel or doesn't exist, but believers know its because they were put here as a test of our faith. Don't get discouraged.”

Hmm clearly this is a rather interpretative knockoff.  You close the book and scratch your head. You really don't know of anything like this.  So you turn around and look back into the tunnel. There are five guards back there, standing in a line with their rifles in hand. Several have their hands either in or near their pockets. You don't see a detonator, but that seems like a pretty good indication of where one would be. You turn back and look around the cave for bridges or overhangs or really anything that might let you get over to the ruins. There are none; the walls are sort of brain like with rounded ridges and chaotic folds but none of these extend very far from the wall.

Drett sighs as he finally makes his way out of a stupor and the bore, his eyes scanning the cavern under his mask. Nice and bright. At least we do not have to worry about lighting in here.

I don't suppose anyone here can swim through molten rock and make it out alive? He chitters under his breath, Damn my species' ingenuity, if we had more than a day this wouldn't be so damned-above difficult.

Aloud again, he says, It may be better for us to re-enter the cavern from another angle. This one appears to be useless for us.

What information can I glean from this cavern?

Do I know whether or not gemstone people were resistant to molten magma? (assuming this information was shared)
Can I tell what the wormy thing is? A guardian, some anomaly, maybe an old resident?

Just for funsies, can I determine what rocks the cavern walls are made of, and how it differs, if at all, from the surrounding bedrock?

Spoiler: Drett Medizin (click to show/hide)
[5]
You look around, sticking your head out into the cavern to see as much as possible.  Volcanic, clearly, though it probably wasn't so flooded in the past. You doubt the gemstone people, resistant as they probably were, would want to build their structures half submerged in magma.  They might have been able to survive it but it would have been quite a hassle; like building your house in a mud pit.  There are no entrances here either; chances are that this cave used to be either cold or only have a small amount of magma in it, but an eruption forced more into the cavern and coated the walls at some point, blocking off any existing entrances. Unless there's one under the magma. Which is completely possible. You tap a finger against your hard exoskeleton, lost in thought.

[1] You've heard about things like that star worm; you think it might be what humans call a "Golem", a servant creature the gemstone people created. There are many known kinds that they created for various purposes, but this one looks like what is called a "Diamondback". Those stars are actually the core of the creature, giant diamonds, and the black haze is a cloud of obsidian fragments. It is believed that they were used in construction, engraving, carving, that sort of thing. They're rarely seen but not hostile from what you've heard. Though contact with them would be dangerous none the less; its a cloud of obsidian razors flying around with the force of a train, not the sort of thing you'd like to walk into. 

[20] You don't have even a single clue what that rock is.

"A little help? Anyone? No? Well, as Mother Church would say: 'The troubles of this world are shallow, My Child. You will find Peace in the Depths.' Second Stratum, Fifth Vein, first pocket.
Diving has brought me to this point, diving will carry me on."

AsHul Closes his eyes and pictures his Map of The Depths, inscribed on the inner cover of his copy of The Black Book.
material, tech, fundamental forces. Alteration? Thy Path is FourFold. Sealing. Thy Path is ThreeFold. Movement. Thy Path is Threefold

If you've dug yourself a hole you cannot climb out of, Dig Deeper!
Forst, place my other Fathom on the floor at about arm's length, but within easy reach.

Going to go to Tzimtzvot (elemental forces). Reinforce with one roll.
Then through Akhmah to Es (move, control). Reinforce with five rolls.
Move the magnetic force out of the collar and into the Fathom

I hope I still have advantage on my nerve rolls.

So the final spell will look like:
nerve rolls:
Tzimtzvot: 2 (elemental forces: magnetism)
Akhmah: 1 (passage)
Es: 6
Final Sanity Nerve Roll: 1
Total nerve rolls: 10
Final stat roll: Strength(9) + Diving(3) = 12. a 55% chance of success.

[16 + 18 + 15 + 4 + 13 + 16 + 3 + 18 + 17][18, 10]

You take your last fathom and stick it out at arms length, just far enough out that you can get it with your finger tips.  Then you close your eyes and dive once more.  As you return to consciousness, shattered images of worlds beyond quickly fading from your memory as they always do, you hear a metallic clank. You carefully try to sit up and find that you can do so fairly easily. The collar is still quite heavy -there's probably a big chunk of metal where the explosive used to be, adding considerable weight- but no longer magnetic. The Fathom, on the other hand, is absurdly magnetic. You try to pry it free from the floor and cannot budge it. Huh. Guess that's what happens when a big, powerful magnetic force gets placed in a very small container.

The safest place is wherever Nyw'geuq is. Other than that I don't care where we're going.

Hmm. May as well get the measure of our guard detail. Describe in great detail the guns they're using, please!
More useful but less interesting: is it obvious that they're carrying radio devices to set off the collars? If so, do they all have one? Do the radios have buttons for each of us or just one panic button? Are the obviously carrying keys to the collars, as well?

Missed me ya big idiot. <3
I completed this in discord. Feel free to repost it or just go from there.

Faffing about actions:

If there's a possibility that it could work, search the bore again for pieces of junk I've missed

After/otherwise, I'd like crafting recipes/parts/junk needed for the following:
-Radios/walkie talkies
-Flame/chemical thrower
-Namite. If namite isn't possible, some other flammable liquid, plus points if it sticks like napalm.
-Sticky goop. Goop that sticks, then expands and hardens.
-combat drugs, to enhance dex, str or end.
-regular old hallucinogenic drugs. Anywhere from mild LSD to full on xenospit is fine.
-A guitar/banjo/ukelele. Just instruments in general really. Gotta get that moth idol group going someday.

Here we go. You guys should make a list of these, to keep us all honest. Wiki gnomes?

1. Circuit board, Speaker, 2 electronic junk, 1 structural.
2. Igniter, tank, 1 mechanical, 3 structural, and then 1 chemical junk if you want it fueled.
3. 3 chemical junk to make something like napalm or namite.
4.  2 chemical junk
5. A chemical lab, first. Otherwise it depends on what you're trying to enhance specifically. For Str, 2 chemical junk and Beetleman psudeomuscle fibers.
6. 1 chemical junk, and 1 of just about any oddly colored mold or mushroom you can find.
7. Assuming acoustic, we can just throw between 2-5 structural at it and make one.

Can I tell if there is any angle from which it would be safest to approach to avoid the dragon? Can I detect any pattern in its movements?

How safe would it be to try to reach the top of the ruins via Zipline or by climbing a rope straight down from the ceiling? I'm concerned about the dragon and about being blown away by the winds.

Do the top of the ruins look like they have entrances leading into the ruins? Or at least some windows we could climb through?

Do I know anything about the material the ruins are made of? Does it look like we could break through it with a pick? What about an explosion?

Are there any safe paths through the magma lake to the ruins? Any path of hardened magma or maybe some fallen rock forming a bridge? If yes, how stable/safe does it look?

Edit: simplified the questions a bit

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[10] You watch it a bit but you can't really figure out a good angle of attack. It seems too random to you.

[20] You have absolutely no fucking clue but your gut feeling says that both are probably possible?

You have to really squint and turn your head to get a good look, but it does look like there are openings in the top of the structure. The building is so odd and seemingly naturally grown that its hard to say whats just a divot and whats a window, but you're pretty sure there are openings you could get through.

[17] No idea what that is or anything about it.

Nothing you can see, at least not from where you are.

Silently sit on the ground and start reading my Black Book to pass time. Maybe I can find something useful for this situation.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)

“GOD walks in stone, forever deeper, forever in greater darkness. We seek His path, neath our feet and in our hearts. Travel the path of the divine and you will know your purpose.”

Determine what kind of rock the surrounding area consists of. What minerals do they contain and would they be useful for creating more TNT?

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

[14] Even with your geological knowledge you're not entirely sure what the make up of this rock is.

Hmm. What do I know about that worm thing? Does the lava provide enough of an updraft to fly using my wings in here? What about if carrying one end of a rope?

I'll assume that the other Mothy man who figured things out about the Diamondback was kind enough to share his knowledge.

You're about 90% certain the thermals are strong enough here for you to glide to the ruin while carrying a rope. Assuming no mistakes or accidents, of course.

Examine the surrounding area and try to find a safe path for the group to take.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[1] With your skill set, you think one possible method might be climbing. The walls of the cavern are quite ridged and provide plenty of hand and foot holds that could make even the oververtical nature of the top of the cavern traversable.  With some rope you could climb to the top of the cavern and then just float down and land on the ruins, laying a zipline as you do so. It would be dangerous but you believe it is totally doable.

Examine the surrounding area, looking for hidden passageways or secret mechanisms to get to the ruin. If you don't find any, ask the others that brought some rope to give you theirs so you can make a zipline with your grappling hook.

((Can I get a bonus to the roll looking for a way to the ruins from my navigation +1 skill or would that be a stretch ?))

Spoiler: 'Good ol rick' (click to show/hide)

[9] You look around for hidden passages or secret mechanisms. You do see something far below, just on the edge of the magma pool. It looks like the upper portion of an arch or tunnel set into the stone. Its half submerged in magma though. Maybe the original entrance to the ruins?

So that I can make a zipline? Do it yourself!~

You ask around for rope, though its up to other players to actually give it to you.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:56 am »

...Why must valuable objects always be so lethal? Drett mutters to himself, analyzing the diamondback and scratching his mane. Though, if such a large golem is still intact, perhaps there is more inside. They should not know about the diamonds. It may drive them to reckless behavior.

Aloud, and more obviously, Comrades, so long we do not touch the imposing, intimidating creature, we shall be fine. It is a construct of the peoples who used to live here, and not usually meant for keeping guard. However, be prepared for death by a thousand cuts if you do. Those are swarms of obsidian it is made of.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2018, 10:25:08 am »

"I think I can see windows on those things" Kara said while squinting "so we should be able to get in them if we can find a way to land on them."

Have I heard of any theories about why the builders of the ruins went extinct?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2018, 11:02:33 am »

"Ah, this copy is just about useless right now, no good information whatsoever."

...Why must valuable objects always be so lethal? Drett mutters to himself, analyzing the diamondback and scratching his mane. Though, if such a large golem is still intact, perhaps there is more inside. They should not know about the diamonds. It may drive them to reckless behavior.

Aloud, and more obviously, Comrades, so long we do not touch the imposing, intimidating creature, we shall be fine. It is a construct of the peoples who used to live here, and not usually meant for keeping guard. However, be prepared for death by a thousand cuts if you do. Those are swarms of obsidian it is made of.

"That is very interesting, brother Drett. Tell me, where did you learn of ancient lore such as this?"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hotfire90

« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:12 am »

"Ok, so the creature isn't hostile, that's going to make it a little easier for us. If we can ensure that no one will slip and fall to their deaths, then I'd be in favour of climbing down from the ceiling."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2018, 11:44:12 am »

"That is very interesting, brother Drett. Tell me, where did you learn of ancient lore such as this?"

Drett pauses, his name called. He lets go of a small braid he had woven while in thought. I had many books and plenty of time to read as a youngling. I was fortunate enough to end up in a home wealthy enough to obtain any material I like. And I enjoyed reading on races and civilizations.

Tell me, what is in that book of yours that you cling to?

"Ok, so the creature isn't hostile, that's going to make it a little easier for us. If we can ensure that no one will slip and fall to their deaths, then I'd be in favour of climbing down from the ceiling."

It may not be hostile, but I would really rather not risk the rope being severed by the construct as it passes by.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2018, 12:07:45 pm »

"Wisest, then, to make a new hole above.  The explorers can be lowered down, and the rope retracted after they are on foot, to protect it.  If we have to secure the line on the fortress' edge, there is always the risk of the creature moving and severing the rope.  Not to mention, the possibility of the one to carry the rope across colliding with the creature.  It is best to avoid such risks, hmm?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2018, 12:52:10 pm »

"Perhaps distracting it may be possible, it could buy us enough time to climb down safely."

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:21 pm »

"If we are talking about possible safe methods, I do have one in mind myself."
The mothman moved a hand under his chin pondering for a moment while he glanced upwards staring at the walls of the cave.
"One of us capable of gliding could simply climb to the top of the cave and then glide down while carrying some rope, with us landing on the ruins and also laying a zipline for the rest of the group. It is still a tad risky, of course so if there are safer methods that won't catch that creature's attention, I am all ears."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2018, 12:58:25 pm »

Drett shakes his head. Best to approach on foot. Much safer. the construct does not seem to move from the castle. The rope will be secure if we create a zip-line or else just move the bore closer to the solid ground. We would only have to worry about the beast on entrance and exit. Not the whole time, wondering whether or not our silver thread has been severed.

He chuckles at Alex's comment. It would be best to leave it to its own devices. It should continue to work on whatever last task it was given if not interrupted. And if interrupted, well... Trailing off, he casts his gaze at Alex, his mask unreadable. I hope you like chunky salsa.

"If we are talking about possible safe methods, I do have one in mind myself."
The mothman moved a hand under his chin pondering for a moment while he glanced upwards staring at the walls of the cave.
"One of us capable of gliding could simply climb to the top of the cave and then glide down while carrying some rope, with us landing on the ruins and also laying a zipline for the rest of the group. It is still a tad risky, of course so if there are safer methods that won't catch that creature's attention, I am all ears."

Must we zipline all the way, comrade? Simply making it to the ground here will be sufficient. I would do it myself, but I believe we would all be grateful if the doctor was not on the front line.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »

AsHul gathers his possessions and heads out once more to mingle with the others, making a note of which room he occupied, and marking said room by leaving a since Fathom, more or less permanently welded to the wall. Upon seeing the Star Worm, and the crystal city, he apologizes for his delay in joining the group, and inquires from the others as to what they have discovered.

"yes, I suppose a zipline would get us across, and climbing down from above would certainly be possible, if a bit challenging for some of us. I'm not sure I am fit to traverse a rope ladder, for one. Has anyone located the artifact we are searching for?"

Turning to Drett upon hearing of the nature of the Space Annelid:

"A construct, is it? Obsidian shards? What purpose did those who left it behind have for such a thing, I wonder? And who were they? Perhaps if we knew this information, we could better understand our options."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2018, 01:45:39 pm »

Drett adjusts his mask, turning to AsHul. Construction, mostly. Rather, they were likely used to carve whole buildings and cities out of bedrock. This one, if I must hazard a guess, was commanded to work on this structure and was forgotten or left behind.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »

Vikkan idly rubbed his chin, then one of his mustache's tips, as he thought about the situation.

"If we have one of the Ethral glide down, I assume they'd have the rope tied to them, so that in case of an emergency we could break their fall and heave them back up, or at least back to the wall so they can try again."

"First, of course, we need to see if there are any volunteers. Are there?"
he added, eyeing the fluffy moth people, though the one with the rifle seemed the most likely candidate due to looking like the most daring.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:47 pm »

"Ah, this copy is just about useless right now, no good information whatsoever."

"Oh... Do you not have your own Book of Truth? Did you lose it somewhere? If so, I can lend you mine...

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2018, 02:39:31 pm »

Alex grimaces at the thought of meeting a violent end at the hands of the Star Worm. "Uh yeah, let's not provoke it."

Upon hearing AsHul's voice he turns around. "The relic is down there in the ruins, somewhere." He starts mumbling to himself."Really hope it's not in the submerged part of it."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 231