Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 152

Author Topic: DIG: The Last Fire  (Read 74797 times)

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2018, 09:33:21 am »

"Should we both survive this experience, Noble Aspirant, I would love to compare notes between your Black Book and my copy.

Praefectus Screptum

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2018, 11:13:56 am »

Return to the Bore.

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:43 am »

"I think I can see windows on those things" Kara said while squinting "so we should be able to get in them if we can find a way to land on them."

Have I heard of any theories about why the builders of the ruins went extinct?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[Kno+ arch =12: 4]
You've heard that they went extinct thanks to a combination of some sort of disease  and a constant war with another race. Their records and pictograms depict their race under attack from something that looks like a giant starfish.  No one has ever found any information about what those creatures are and they've never been sighted so its possible the two races killed each other.

Quote
Drett pauses, his name called. He lets go of a small braid he had woven while in thought. I had many books and plenty of time to read as a youngling. I was fortunate enough to end up in a home wealthy enough to obtain any material I like. And I enjoyed reading on races and civilizations.

Tell me, what is in that book of yours that you cling to?

"What, this old thing? Why, it is the Black Book, the collection of holy teachings of us Chthonics.

...Or rather, this is a copy of said book, and a rather poor one at that it appears."


Quote
"Oh... Do you not have your own Book of Truth? Did you lose it somewhere? If so, I can lend you mine...

"Unlike your fellow Ethral, who does have a pristine copy of the most important work of literature in existence.

I'm afraid I never got my hands on a real copy of the book, all we had were copies like this one. I appreciate the offer, I might just take you upon it someday. Well, if our cosmic friend down there doesn't do us in first, I suppose."


"Out of the options we've come up with so far, it seems the one where we drill to above the crystal palace and lower ourselves down might be the safest. However, we should have some way to help those less, ah, acrobatically inclined, from slipping and falling or just bungling along haphazardly. Perhaps a diving bell of sorts could be constructed, or a couple of harnesses to securely attach ourselves?"



Throw a decent sized rock into the cavern, see if the star dragon responds to it in any way.

Does it seem like one of the thugs is their leader?

Could we devise a winch system to let the bore's engines lower or raise the rope?

What parts would we need to build a simple diving bell? What about a set of harnesses? 



Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
You walk back and find a rock about the size of your fist.  You huck it out into the cave as far as you can, maybe 30 feet. It arcs out and then falls into the magma. The worm thing doesn't seem to notice.

You examine the thugs carefully, but in these circumstances its hard to tell. You don't see any particular one that seems to be giving orders or direction actions; though there's not a lot of action or orders going on right now.

[2] Hmm. Well there's the central axle on which the drill is connected to the engine. If you were to wrap the rope around it, then it would be possible to use it like a winch by spinning the drill one direction or the other.

A set of harnesses would be 1 structural junk and 1 mechanical junk per harness.  A diving bell would need a lot more of basically the same materials. More so if you want it to survive lava or something silly.




"It should be... reasonably safe to glide to the ruins from here. From that point, it is a simple matter of securing the line, and the rest climbing down. We should consider the difficulty of returning, however. In this case, I agree with the Honored Dead; we should drill in from above and lower a rope. It shouldn't take too long to drill up there, but it's no good to waste what little time we have left standing here. I propose that we begin drilling immediately. Vikkan, you are our pilot, correct? Would you agree?"

It would seem that no, you cannot trust my fellow Ethral to share the whole story with the class. Knowledge roll please?
What stat might be used to insure no mistakes are made while gliding?

Also, back on the bore, as we're moving.


Fricking Moths, Am I right?

[17]
You have no idea, beyond the censored information that you were told.

Dexterity would be used for gliding.

Back on the bore you go.


Allright, so there's no loose junk strewn about anymore. Are there any things on the bore I could grab and deconstruct, things I can grab without affecting the workings of the bore or angering our captors? Spare chairs, beds, non-essential machinery, etc?

Also, what are the recipes for:
- 1,2 or 3 barrel shotgun?
- An extremely simple pistol, like the Welrod? Basically a barrel with grip and a bolt that you manually twist open, put a round into the chamber and close it up again. Or perhaps like the FP-45 Liberator pistol, of which the total manufacturing cost was around 2 dollars during WWII. I'm trying to get a cheapo firearm into our roster, since the cheapest one right now is like 40 fathoms.
- A breach loading/break action rifle. Basically a rifle like the Martini-Henry that only loads one bullet at a time.
- Mustard gas or similar poison gasses. Gotta get that chemical warfare going.
- Moar explosives, since the TNT I bought ain't gonna last forever.



Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
The bore is effectively completely empty save for the controls and mechanical systems. This thing was given to you to do a mission, after all. No one expects you to live in it.

Barrel/pipe (1, 2 or 3) + 1 structural,  and Firing mechanism (Substitute 3 mechanical)
Barrel/pipe + 1 mechanical
Same as the shotgun because they're both basically identical, just firing different rounds. 
Chemical lab needed, but basically you can just thrown chemical junk at it, with more used per unit making a more deadly gas.
Chemical lab, again more chemical junk thrown at it, more powerful. Oh and one structural per unit for casing and fuse and such.


Upon hearing that the squirming mass is in fact a construct, the abomination will attempt to dive, warding her clothing against advance technology

Traveling to Balarim, then Jal: 3 roll
Reinforce Jal: 5
Reinforce Balarim: 2


Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
Warding against ALL advanced technology that exists in the entire universe is a bit of a spell.

(12 + 16 + 11 + 3 + 9 + 20 + 12 + 4 + 9 + 4) two failures, Nerve temp reduced to 11. Final rolls [3, 19]

Your clothing glows light blue and what looks like triangular shards of light arrange themselves across them like lizard scales before fading. They never quite go all the way away, just fade till they are barely visible. Your clothing has been warded against...something?

Continue observing the others from my sitting spot. I don't really have any useful skills or abilities for this situation.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
You sit and kick your feet, patiently waiting for someone to figure something out.

Im going to conduct a thorough search of our area. Specifically, I’m looking at objects. Any ores, useful crystals, and anything else, like debris, that might be useful or informative about the area.
In the unlikely even that I do find something useful, stow it on the bore. Then get back in the bore  before it leaves.

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)

[6]
You wander around the tunnel, looking for something useful. You walk maybe 60 feet away and find several large chunks of blue crystal, seemingly the same stuff that the ruins are made of. You check the walls nearby and find more of the stuff embedded in the stone. You grab several large pieces before returning to the bore.

Observe the star dragon and its movement, then head into the bore.

What are the crafting recipes for:
-Flak vests.
-Gas masks.
-TNT.
-A grenade launcher.
-Grenades, both explosive and fragmentation.

Also what do we need to build a chemical lab?


Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

The dragon is slowly wriggling around the ruins, wrapping around and between spires, always moving.

Several small steel plates+ 2 structural.
2 structural+ filter+ 2 glass lenses
Covered in another post
4 structural, 2 mechanical, Firing mechanism
2 structural, 2 chemical, fuse

Glassware, Bunsen burner, Fume Hood, Structural 20, Chemical 10, mechanical 5

That's interestin' to know Drett. Like I said, I'd never heard of 'em, though I've seen Gemstone People stuff before.

An' I don' think we're gettin' to the ruins from here, not easily at least. Even if'n we had a line, I'm not entirely certain I trust even Ethral Silk rope to keep the likes of me from becomin' so much charred mole pancake on the magma.


Back into the bore!

In ya go.


"We might as well prepare for the case we take that path, so get back on and let's try that. Like I said, spelunking isn't my forte."

Get back into the bore and drill up, then carefully downwards, in order to make a hole at the top of the cauldron, roughly over the ruins but preferentially not over the castle with the horrible worm.

I'M GONNA MAKE THE ASSUMPTION THAT EVERYONE OTHER THAN OZ, WHO SPECIFICALLY SAID HE WANTED TO REMAIN BEHIND, GOT IN THE BORE AND LEFT WITH IT TO THE NEW LOCATION.


You wait till everyone is onboard and then pull the bore back down the tunnel a 100 feet or so before guiding it straight up. Taking the bore straight up is a heck of a thing; the cockpit remains at the right orientation, rotating into place, but the rest of the interior is literally upside-down for several minutes.  You eventually pull the bore around, doing a wide U- turn and heading back towards the cavern.  You set the machine to stop automatically once the drill hits an air pocket and a few minutes later it does.  The bore instantly grinds to a halt, its legs locking into place and holding it secure in the tunnel. You can hear the WOOOOSH of hot air rushing past outside. When you check the periscope you can see that the bore is perched very near the top of the cavern, almost directly above the ruins.



"I do recommend addressing the issue of the Devourer before we address the issue of transportation. the latter issue wold be a trivial matter, if hte former were not an obstacle. "Remove that which hinders, and you may descend unto God."

GM: Action in spoiler

Spoiler: Action inside (click to show/hide)



You climb out of the bore and hide in the tunnel, while everyone, including the guards, reboard the bore. You quickly scramble out of the machine's way as it tears off through the stone with bone shaking force.  Once you're alone, you walk over near -but not too near- the edge. You sit down and close your eyes, focusing on what you want to do.
[4 + 13 + 7 + 9 + 8 + 6 + 7 + 13 + 17 + 11 + 1 + 16 + 17 + 10 ] [10,8]

You open your eyes and point at the star dragon.  "I BIND YOU TO WORK UPON THAT WALL" you say, in a voice massive, reverberating and clearly not your own. The worm does not struggle or move with any violence. On its next turn around the ruins it simply breaks off and instead travels to the opposite wall, where it begins coiling and squirming, smoothing the stone.


Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2018, 11:39:39 am »

"I like you. I was going to call you Tim, but I think you deserve a better name. Perhaps Galaxy? or would that be too ominous? hmm. Galaxy Blackstone. That is your name now. I hope you are pleased with it, and with your current assignment."

Radio Controlled

  • Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2018, 11:49:41 am »

((A diving minor failure and a major success this turn, not bad.))

"It seems the guardian of this place somehow got coaxed into moving away from the temple. How convenient!

... Say, has anyone seen our malformed friend somewhere?"


"Ahem, anyways. Shall we get started on preparing our way down? Clate, perhaps you could help me with this?"


((The people with rope (100 ft each) are Kara (paris), Rick (marksdorf) and Clate (pancaek). Are all of you ok with loaning out your rope?))

Help the other people set up the winch system.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:33:09 pm by Radio Controlled »
Logged


Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

  • Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2018, 12:04:57 pm »

Well now, that's... impressive. Let's hope it lasts, but that's at least one hazard out of the fer now.

Now, let's see about getting down there.
Logged
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Caellath

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2018, 12:19:59 pm »

"Our friend decided to stay back, and he might have something to do with the guardian's decision to move." Vikkan commented as he looked down and appreciated the sudden change in scenario that made their chances less deadly.
Logged
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »

Well now, that's... impressive. Let's hope it lasts, but that's at least one hazard out of the fer now.

Now, let's see about getting down there.

((Hey! Just because I'm not on the Bore, doesn't mean I'm not still a hazard!))

Hotfire90

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »

"That's one less problem, now to get down there and retrieve the relic." Alex wiped the sweat off his brow. "How many people do we want to send down there to search for the relic?"
Logged

Pancaek

  • Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »

Clate comes walking from somewhere inside the bore, dejectedtly mumbling.

"They stripped the entire thing. There's nothing to repurpose, not even a stray light fitting or a bucket. What kind of insane people strip an entire bore."

((I am absoultely fine with loaning out my rope.))
Logged

Parisbre56

  • Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2018, 01:46:04 pm »

"Please try not to damage it too much?" Kara said as she handed over the rope.
"I've had this rope for a while now, I'd be saddened if I lost it. Especially since I had to sell the last of my good clothes to get it."

I'm fine with donating my rope and grappling Hook to the cause of making a way down to the ruins and possibly making harnesses.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Logged
My projects & Sigpost
RETURN TO SENDER. REASON: APE TOO ANIME.
Quote from: Ozarck
Requesting the transfer of one Anime Ape to Sanitation Department.
Jon puts in a request for personnel transfer. Under the "Why" section he writes "Because it would be wicked sweet."

Egan_BW

  • Bay Watcher
  • You let the sun shine into your heart, but the blo
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2018, 03:33:39 pm »

Could I use the thermals here to float from the ruins back up to the bore?
Start tying our ropes together. Make sure it's secure.


Logged
Good or bad, may whatever happens be beautiful.

randomgenericusername

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2018, 08:48:45 pm »

"I like you. I was going to call you Tim, but I think you deserve a better name. Perhaps Galaxy? or would that be too ominous? hmm. Galaxy Blackstone. That is your name now. I hope you are pleased with it, and with your current assignment."

Lokam stands up from his sitting spot. He stayed there the whole time, watching AsHul perform the diving. Since he was curious and didn't like the crowded bore, he decided to stay behind with him.

"...Excuse me, were you refering to me?"

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
Logged
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2018, 12:38:44 am »

Quote from: Discord
Mr.Bones - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
If you wanted to stay there, you stayed there. Though now also two guards stayed there

((so AsHul, Lokam, and 2 guards are here, and now the guards have a fair idea of AsHul's ability, and a greater chance of noticing something off about his collar))

Turning to Lokam, AsHul raises one hideous eyebrow.
"Noble aspirant, I was not."

Radio Controlled

  • Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2018, 02:31:10 am »

"Perhaps this will be easier if I tried to construct us a simple cage we could attach to the rope. Out of stone, since that's the only thing we have plenty of around here.

Brothers mole, would you lend me your claws and your strength by carving out a boulder for me to work on?"


Would it help my diver concentration (aka help me to roll at advantage) to meditate for a while before trying to do a spell? If yes, do so before attempting the following.

I would like to do a spell to take some rock and turn it into a simple cage/diving bell. The cage doesn't need to be very large or fully enclosed or anything (to save weight and not overtax our rope), but do make it strong enough that it can safely hold about 3 people at once. Leave a hole in one side for people to easily crawl into or out of. Start from a boulder if one is provided, or just from the cave wall if not.

Start in Akhmah, reinforce once (2 rolls). Then move to Es, then to Sige (2 rolls). Then reinforce Sige once (1 roll). Total of 5 rolls before the final stat and nerve checks. Only 1 material sphere, Akhmah (awareness).




Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:13:31 am by Radio Controlled »
Logged


Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 152