Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385579 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2018, 08:17:15 am »

Observe the ruins from afar. Do I see anything interesting in that direction? Any living beings?

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:13 am »

Keep following the others.

Hotfire90

« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2018, 10:04:12 am »

Stick with the group.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2018, 02:49:27 pm »

”Sure, I’ll let you have the rod and the dice, as long as you let me keep half the remaining loot”
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2018, 05:19:17 am »

”Sure, I’ll let you have the rod and the dice, as long as you let me keep half the remaining loot”
"Of course, of course. An even split among teammates is the way to go. Now, do you want the weird pinecone, the snake rope, or do you want to wait until I've poked them to decide?"

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2018, 08:17:11 am »

”I must admit that I had planned to let you go first. However, with the cone thing, it’s mostly that I don’t want to dungeon dive with something that makes noise”

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:02 am »

Drett chitters, almost excitedly as he snaps back to reality. This is... Not good.

I understand, Kara. I would hardly trust you with my own, but given the circumstances it appears to be that or die.

While our mutual acquaintance appears to be a lost cause, I would rather not lose anyone else to this...
he waves his hands in the air, mess the diver has gotten themselves and us into. I may know something about this issue.

Knowledge time!

Knowledge the possession. wtf is going on?

Knowledge the construct. Still an interesting piece of information.

Ponder how much damage the possessed will probably be in thanks to the possession. Might I get to play Doktor?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #337 on: July 09, 2018, 11:53:19 am »

Gather up the octahedrons and the metal rods. Then, help get other barrels open.

"Hey hey, don't go hogging all the material to yourself. Sharing is caring, you know. I don't suppose I could interest you in trading half of those octahedrons and a metal rod for either of these two things still in the barrel? Going 50/50 with the stuff in the barrels seems fair, don't'cha think?"

Poke the pinecone thing and the coiled snake thing with the handle of my shovel. If they don't really do anything, stuff them in my satchel. If they do react to poking, don't pick them up yet.

Regardless, help with opening the other barrels.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
Gather up the octahedrons and the metal rods. Then, help get other barrels open.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Lupanian, Don't add things to your inventory until you actually pick them up. Especially not in my games were every attempt to grab loot could end up with you returning with less than you started with, if you catch my drift.

[15, 12] Double fail but Harm failed by less so he goes first.
[6] Harm, perhaps overcome by greed, sticks both hands into the barrel, grabbing at the goodies. She doesn't even get the chance to touch  anything inside before the coiled snake lashes out at her with astonishing speed. She manages to jerk her hands back just in time as it flashes across the inside of the barrel and coils itself against the other end. The caltrop points scrape and click at high speed, creating a screeching rattle.

Clate sees this and decides...not to stick his hands or his shovel into the barrel. He likes both of them and prefers they remain undamaged. He moves on to the other, so far unopened barrel and hits it with his shovel. [14,18]The blade of the shovel glances off with a violent CLANG that rattles his bones. Harm tries next, borrowing the shovel. Her blow Clangs off as well but apparently the combined efforts are having an effect; the cracks are widening and a small hole about 2 inches across has opened up.

Observe the ruins from afar. Do I see anything interesting in that direction? Any living beings?

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
You can clearly see a rope leading down from the bore, which has parked itself up above the ruins. You can see the star dragon thing still grinding away on the far wall. And you think, just maybe, you can see people inside the structure, through a doorway, but you might be imagining it.

Contemplate Diving to complete my bridge.

1) Contemplate using two Dive - one to change some of the rock into steel and the other to alter the shape of the steel into a lattice walkway and rebar for reinforcing the stone  structure. The lattice walkway only needs to extend 40-45 feet from the current precipice to reach the nearest tower top, if I remember correctly.

2) contemplate using one Dive to achieve the same effect.

Goal is to get a feel for these two Dive options and how many reinforcements of spheres would be ideal. I have listed the rolls I think might be good, and wantto find out how I would need to tweak the spells for best effect.
Additional goal is to determine the risk to my nerve and the likely effects of failure.
Dive options are in the Spoilers

Spoiler: One Dive Option (click to show/hide)

[15]
You have no fucking clue about any of this. Not a one. Nothing. Why the fuck did you get out of the bore and do this? WHY did you take that stupid fucking drug. Christ your head hurts and that Aspirant wants to try and fuck around in your skull like a brain surgeon with an angle grinder. Won't even give up his copy of the Black book as collateral. All the fucking freedom, none of the consequences. This sucks.

[rolled it out. your withdrawl effects end next turn, but you're still addicted]

Drett chitters, almost excitedly as he snaps back to reality. This is... Not good.

I understand, Kara. I would hardly trust you with my own, but given the circumstances it appears to be that or die.

While our mutual acquaintance appears to be a lost cause, I would rather not lose anyone else to this...
he waves his hands in the air, mess the diver has gotten themselves and us into. I may know something about this issue.

Knowledge time!

Knowledge the possession. wtf is going on?

Knowledge the construct. Still an interesting piece of information.

Ponder how much damage the possessed will probably be in thanks to the possession. Might I get to play Doktor?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[15]
It appears that She's under the power of something from Es. Those metal wires are a distinct feature of that sphere. As to what its attempting to do with her, you have no idea. If you had to hazard a guess, its probably after the same thing the rest of you are. Everyone wants shiny things.

[15] (skin of your teeth again)
We've seen several constructs. Which one? Little one that Kara carried away? Seems to have something to do with traversal of the structure, if its properties are any indication. It doesn't seem to do much otherwise or have any sort of appendages or design for other work. Maybe it can manipulate stone via the same unknown method as the Gemstone people? If thats the case it could be doing almost anything from keeping the structure repaired to forming new rooms.

[15] (wow, really?)
Assuming no one shoots her, the damage will probably be minor, restricted to the injuries the wires made in her. The possession probably won't hurt her in the process of moving her around...probably.

Stick with the group.

Keep following the others.
Continue onward.

Muse on the nature of beings that possess divers and how their connection to this world/dimension works, perhaps that could give me ideas on how to sever that connection.

"I can't- I can't just trust a bunch of strangers with my life. If they chose someone like me or a Diver stupid enough to get possessed or-" Kara stopped herself before she started giving examples about those present "-how can I know anyone is competent? Or even sane?"

"Don't worry too much about it, your instincts told you to try and help a companion, that's a solid reaction. Just keep your eyes open and stay aware of what's going on and what people are doing, and try not to act too rashly, and I'm sure you'll be fine." he finished, his faint smile having returned.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[17]
Uh. Well.  Maybe if they get what they want they'll go away?

Follow the rest of the group and remain in alert.
"Just how far they went? If we are truly talking about some sort of possession, could they be preparing an ambush or trap and luring us towards it?"
"Could be better."

Well, proceed with the rest of the group.

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
Continue climbing up the cave, making haste for the sounds of cracking stones.  Don't get too far ahead, though, stay within line of sight of the others at the very least.

"Do not worry, young one.  Even if the artifact is destroyed, your life will be preserved.  I do not intend to allow our captors to return you to their masters, and the collars can be deactivated by divers.  Divers more competent than a metallic creature incapable of speech.  This artifact is mostly important as a Chthonic marvel, and to placate our captors; if it is destroyed, we will simply have to explain the failure of our mission.  They will not trap us down here, their masters would never tolerate such a waste of valuable slaves."

"I'm sorry, I- Thank you for trying to calm me and protect me. It's just..."
Kara sighed.
"I can't- I can't just trust a bunch of strangers with my life. If they chose someone like me or a Diver stupid enough to get possessed or-" Kara stopped herself before she started giving examples about those present "-how can I know anyone is competent? Or even sane?"

Try experimenting with my Crystal Friend. Could I stick its legs in the wall and use it as an anchor to help me and the others climb? I know it's a long shot, but if I'm lucky the legs will be more Resistant to perpendicular than vertical forces or this surface will offer better traction or something.

Regardless, climb up towards the noise. Every time I reach a landing, wait and help the others get up before moving on.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Kara places the crystal thing down and it immediately tries to take off up the spiral. Much to her surprise when she grabs hold and tries to slow it down, it just keeps going completely unabated. She puts her whole weight behind it and nothing, it just keeps going, dragging her along with it. It apparently has somewhere it would very much like to be and that place is at the top of this spiral. Kara quickly signals the rest of the group via some panicked squawking and clings onto the crystal as it skitters up the spiral. The rest of the group follows behind; they have a harder time dealing with the steep ascent but they manage to keep going, if nowhere near as fast as Kara and her new mount.

The crystal follows the spiral up, ignoring any side paths, and eventually comes to its end at what is apparently the zenith of the tower. There is another solid doorway here, but it has been blown open, much like the one before, and leads out to a walkway. The walkway stretches out like a strand of petrified spider web, connecting this tower to others. The towers rise like knife blades from the molten lake below and this walkway connects to dozens of others that crisscross erratically between them. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the walkways are arranged and they look equally organic and crystalline as everything else.

The crystal walks over to the damaged door and stops, almost as though it is staring at the structure. Slowly the stone begins to flow, cracks knitting and chunks rolling back and connecting to the whole. Out across the walkways, Kara spots the possessed lady, gliding up a nearby walkway towards the central tower.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:24 pm »

"Aspirant, I am going to take a short journey. Watch over me, and, should anything untoward happen, flee and alert the otehrs. I expect to return in anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so.

Dive into Balaram.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »

Shoot at the snake with my revolver.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:20 pm »

"You might be right about whatever has possessed our companion seeking what we want, Kara. They probably wouldn't like to be shot in any case and I'd rather we save that as a last measure in case we're in danger."

"And since your little friend is repairing the damage, we can't rush forward and leave it behind or we might end up trapped. At least someone has to keep watch over it."
Vikkan commented when they reached the doorway, just a bit tired from all the exercise while wearing armor.

Carefully follow the group.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:16:52 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 09, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »

"These doors are annoying."

If we cut a chunk off that construct, could we use that as a key to open the doors?

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Hotfire90

« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2018, 06:26:13 pm »

"I'd be willing to look after our crystal key and make sure it doesn't escape. I still got my TNT, we could always use that should we end up trapped."

Look after the crystal creature and capture it once it's done repairing the door. Follow the group once it's successfully captured.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:10:20 pm by Hotfire90 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2018, 06:30:03 pm »

"TNT might be overkill for these doors, seeing how easily that... puppeted lizard tore through. If a mere lizard emboldened by an entity unconcerned with the integrity of its body can tear down these doors, no doubt our most honorable undead could knock it down with a proper tool."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Hotfire90

« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2018, 06:39:33 pm »

"We could certainly try testing the strength of these doors, using my TNT to blow us out should be the last resort. There might also be other crystal creatures which could serve our purposes as a key."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 231