Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 381076 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:20 pm »

Inspect the tree like thing. How big is it, and does the material have any crafting qualities? Also check the base where the barrel was, does the stuff seem to still be there, or is it all toast?
”Clate, I’m beginning to wonder whether this venture is worth the effort”
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
The tree is a good 8 or 9 feet tall, maybe equally wide too at its greatest point. You touch it carefully and then snap a piece off, turning it over in your fingers. Looks like it could function as Chemical Junk. Maybe as a toxin if used alone; though lead poisoning tends not to be very fast acting.  You kneel down and look at the barrel. Most of it is covered over by the growth but it looks like the barrel wasn't damaged by it. The contents might be similarly unharmed, just entombed.

”Clate, I’m beginning to wonder whether this venture is worth the effort”

"Nonsense. Just a minor setback, really. It is kinda weird how these temples always store their contraptions in the weirdest places."

Touch the chromed part of my shovel to my field lighter. Observe if the chrome stuff reacts in any way.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
You pull out the field lighter and  touch it to the chrome.  The lighter is pulled in towards it and sticks to it like it was a magnet. This is rather odd because brass isn't magnetic. You can pull it away, though not without a fair amount of effort, and there seems to be no horrifying face melting reactions.

Continue looking after the crystal creature and capture it once it's done repairing the door.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
You plop down next to the crystal friend and wait as it repairs the door. You attempt to pat it but the top of it is sharp so you content yourself with just sort of petting its side and  whispering encouragement to it. It finishes replacing the doors within about a minute and you pick it up before it can decide on another project. You lift it up and position it on your shoulder before walking out through the newly repaired door. You see the group far in front of you, vanishing into the central tower.

Continue reading from my Black Book. Don't really have anything else to do.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
You got wings, get to flying.

“Fear is not an anathema. To fear GOD is to respect His power. To fear the dark is to recognize your weakness. To fear death is to love the life you have been gifted.  Understand your fear but never fall victim to it. That is death.”

"Dammit, why do they always need to be running so fast? Dark and forgetfulness, my feet hurt already."

Oh, they're gone already. Guess I'm sticking with Alex. And by "with" I mean far enough away that I can run from the TNT before it goes off.

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
You follow Alex from a safe distance. He seems to be following the rest of the group from an even safer distance so you feel pretty confident in your anti-danger spacing.

1) What does the ground below feel like?
2) Is there space between the walls and the giant gearlike things behind and ahead? How much?
3) Do I feel like the ground below is tilting forward as it moves, like the axle of a giant gear?
4) Slowly and gently reach up, pinky and ring finger on one hand extended. Do I come into contact with anything? Do I lose the aforementioned digits?

I'm worried that I have landed between the complex teeth of a complex gear, and that the tooth of another gear will soon be inhabiting this space where I am currently inhabiting. I do not wish to be inhabiting this space when another gear tooth is attempting to inhabit this space.

You bounce up and down a bit. The ground feels slightly springy, maybe thick rubber. When you hit after the jump you can feel what seem to be metal rollers under the rubber. Conveyor belt more than likely. You touch it with your hands and feel a sort of diamond shaped anti-slip tread pattern.

You feel around. The walls are a good 6 feet or so apart; you can stand with both arms out and not touch either side. However the conveyor belt seems to be very nearly abutting the wall with maybe an inch or half an inch of space between them. The ceiling, if there is one, is outside your hopping attempts to touch it. There's maybe 5 feet between the thing in front of you and the thing ahead. The ground seems flat too, or at least if it is tilted its at such a tiny angle you can't perceive it.  You're in the midst of rocking back and forth, trying to guess if you're on a slope when you notice light up ahead. Not direct light but reflected light; a dull orange red glow off metal. You can see the conveyor ahead, along with more of those complex shapes like what you felt around you, taking a left turn.  You can feel heat now too, and the noise is growing louder. 

And Adam was also there, with the group, doing the things.

And think again about how to stop possessions I suppose, specifically from entities coming from ES (assuming that is common knowledge, if not then disregard that detail).

((Sorry, not much time to post and rather limited internet access.))

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[16]
You beat on your own head while you continue chasing the possessed person.

"ALL THIS OCCULT KNOWLEDGE AND STUDY AND I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE THING! MY GOD DAMN THIS BRAIN OF MINE AND REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A LUMP OF COAL!"
I was not made for running, I do hope we make it soon Drett wheezes, obviously short of breath

Keep up the pursuit!

Given the information I know and the actions of the possessor, what would be a good way to break its hold without damaging the possessed?

Spoiler: Drett Medizin (click to show/hide)
[7]
You are struck by a sudden revelation as you get up and continue running with the group. It seems so simple, now that you've thought of it.

"THE WIRES! CUT THE WIRES AND SHE'LL BE FREE!"

"A bit more care, Kara!" Vikkan said after he and the other two were done saving and hoisting the Corven up. They were lucky she was light, though if the heavy honored dead had slid with her towards the edge that would have been their doom.

Keep following Kara.
Keep on running in the 90s underground. Maybe my luck will improve.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

You all get through the blown open door and into the central tower a few seconds after the possessed woman. This room is unlike the ones before: where as the others resembled natural crystals this one is styled like a cut crystal. It is radially symmetrical, eight duplicate sections arranged around the center, and resembles the negative of a brilliant cut diamond:  a shallow domed roof with sharply sloping floors leading down to a central point. The walls all bristle with spikes that jut out into the room towards the central point, the convergence point of the floors. It gives the impression of being in a giant crystal iron maiden.

At that central point in the room, just sitting there, not even on a stand or pedestal, is the artifact. It looks like a glass orb, about a foot or foot and a half across, and appears to contain a flame. Not giant flame or a flickering candle; something like the burning tip of a torch. Modest and unassuming.  It looks quite odd though, almost like the flame is behind the orb and just being seen through it.  The possessed woman is floating down towards the orb, suspended upside down.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »

Slide down. Get to the bottom first. Grab that artifact, wrapping it around my shirt. Then run away in the direction opposite to the one the possessed is. Imagine myself as the world's most fragile American football player.

Edit: If it looks like I and the others can't prevent her from reaching the artifact (I either can't get there in time or can't escape once there), then shoot her dead. If shooting doesn't work and I can't escape, then throw the artifact to someone else.

Edit2: Also shoot her dead if she tries to hurt Vikkan.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:08:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2018, 03:34:45 pm »

Gods above and below... CUT THE DAMN WIRES! The last thing we need is for this thing to get that damnable artifact! Drett shouts, hoping anyone has any way of removing this threat, It's all our lives on the line!

Consider the cost to making a pneumatic syringe rifle. That would be really handy to deliver paralyzing venom and other drugs from a distance.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »

"Stupid crystal ruins."

Follow Alex, if he's moving anywhere. Try to think of any ways in which I could be helpful right now. Or anything I could do to increase my chanced of surviving this.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Hotfire90

« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »

Catch up with Kara and her group. Also remember how large the blast radius of TNT is.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »

"Do we have anything sharp enough to cut those wires?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:33 pm »

Follow Kara down, don't get in front of her in case she takes a shot.  When she grabs the artifact, get between her and the floating abomination, then tackle it if it tries to intercept Kara.  Rip the wires out of the lizard if it's caught.  Do not release it, regardless.

"No.  However, we may have something strong enough."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2018, 07:38:03 am »

"My victory candescence awaits, it would appear."

Now that I can see a bit, is there any way off this conveyor? up over the wall, perhaps? An Emergency stop cord or button?
If I can reasonably safely dismount before getting toasted, I'll do so.
If not, I'll grab hold of the Thing behind me and UnDive (aka back to Akhmah).
Goal is to bring the Thing with me, if possible.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2018, 10:10:56 am »

Try to break of some large branches of the tree to take with me.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2018, 10:50:20 am »

Curl and fall asleep in the ground out of boredom.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:07 pm »

"Hey, compatriot, if you manage some of those branches, mind if I take one for experimentation purposes?

Also, could you give me a hand here? We still have a third barrel to break open."

Neat. Check if I can see anything other than the magnetizing chrome foil in barrel 2.

If Harm gives me a hand, try to lift up the third barrel with the two of us and then drop it to the floor, in order to break it open. If she doens't, I doubt I could lift it by myself so just give it a few good whacks with the shovel instead.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2018, 01:27:58 pm »

Try to wake up from being unconscious and get bearings.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2018, 03:06:27 pm »

"Why, what will happen if they get the artifact?!" Vikkan asked as he quickly got the Black Flame off his neck and grasped it like a knife in his right hand. That wasn't the kind of thing he'd been expecting or hoping for. He was just a conductor, not a handler of possessed people!

Try to cut off one of the wires with the Black Flame.
((Edited to change Vikkan's handedness so piecewise doesn't have to change his post.))
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:27:17 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2018, 11:24:26 am »

Slide down. Get to the bottom first. Grab that artifact, wrapping it around my shirt. Then run away in the direction opposite to the one the possessed is. Imagine myself as the world's most fragile American football player.

Edit: If it looks like I and the others can't prevent her from reaching the artifact (I either can't get there in time or can't escape once there), then shoot her dead. If shooting doesn't work and I can't escape, then throw the artifact to someone else.

Edit2: Also shoot her dead if she tries to hurt Vikkan.

"Wrapping it around my shirt"

[15]
You leap from the doorway and onto the sloped floor, sliding down at high speed towards the artifact. You attempt to position yourself such that you can slide to the bottom, land on your feet and grab the artifact, but you end up doing a slide tackle into the artifact itself. You hit it with both feet and it shoots off up the opposite slope and into the spikes on the opposite side, wedging in place between three of them.

Follow Kara down, don't get in front of her in case she takes a shot.  When she grabs the artifact, get between her and the floating abomination, then tackle it if it tries to intercept Kara.  Rip the wires out of the lizard if it's caught.  Do not release it, regardless.

"No.  However, we may have something strong enough."

[3]
You slide down after Kara, remaining on your feet the whole time via some extremely skilled leaning and redistribution of weight. Kara ends up at the bottom in a heap so you slide in to stand over her, getting between her and the possessed lizard.

"Why, what will happen if they get the artifact?!" Vikkan asked as he quickly got the Black Flame off his neck and grasped it like a knife in his left hand. That wasn't the kind of thing he'd been expecting or hoping for. He was just a conductor, not a handler of possessed people!

Try to cut off one of the wires with the Black Flame.
[3,6]
You back up a few feet and then take a running leap towards the possessed woman. She's lowering herself down towards the center of the room so from the edge you actually have a good shot at reaching her. You fly through open air, arms and legs wheeling about, and slam into the possessed woman's lower body. You wrap yourself around her with three limbs and with your free hand pull your Black Flame pendant out from in your shirt. You shift your grip to bring its sharpened edge to bear and press it against the metal wire. This is a last ditch effort really, you don't expect the blade to cut through the solid metal, but something surprising happens. The instant the pendant touches the metal it ceases to be a simple sharpened chunk of obsidian. It erupts into true black flame, an impossible blade of burning nothing which seems to suck all the air out of the room while crushing everyone with incalculable pressure. The blade  cuts through the wire in a spray of inverse sparks and then....

Kara, Nyw, Vikkan, and Moku find themselves sitting at the bottom of a sloped pit sort of thing. They look around. They have no idea why they're here. Last they they remember is going out into the hall or starting a dive in Moku's case.  The stump of Vikkan's right hand is bleeding. This is very odd to him because he's never had a right hand so he's not sure why it would start bleeding now.  They get up and get the impression that this room looks important. Kara, eye for shiny things, notices the flaming orb stuck up among some spikes. They're not really sure how, but they seem to have found the artifact!

[Vikkan -black flame, -right hand]

Try to wake up from being unconscious and get bearings.
Gonna assume you're with the two guys below.
Catch up with Kara and her group. Also remember how large the blast radius of TNT is.

"Stupid crystal ruins."

Follow Alex, if he's moving anywhere. Try to think of any ways in which I could be helpful right now. Or anything I could do to increase my chanced of surviving this.

Alex, Wiellste and Aigresaur walk up to the sealed door to the artifact room. They stop and all suddenly come to the realization that they don't know why they're here. They have a vague recollection of chasing a group of others but...they don't know why.  None the less they use the crystal to push through the sealed door and into the artifact room, joining up with the rest.

((TNT's blast radius is pretty big, bigger if you include potential debris flying out. 30 feet with some solid cover is probably ok; a good deal longer if you don't have cover))

Gods above and below... CUT THE DAMN WIRES! The last thing we need is for this thing to get that damnable artifact! Drett shouts, hoping anyone has any way of removing this threat, It's all our lives on the line!

Consider the cost to making a pneumatic syringe rifle. That would be really handy to deliver paralyzing venom and other drugs from a distance.
You find yourself standing on the edge of the artifact room with no real idea why or how you got here. You have this idea in your head about a dart gun but you can't say why.  You think buying one would be like...20 fathoms or something?  Why are you thinking about this?

"My victory candescence awaits, it would appear."

Now that I can see a bit, is there any way off this conveyor? up over the wall, perhaps? An Emergency stop cord or button?
If I can reasonably safely dismount before getting toasted, I'll do so.
If not, I'll grab hold of the Thing behind me and UnDive (aka back to Akhmah).
Goal is to bring the Thing with me, if possible.

The conveyor appears to be entirely enclosed in metal, no buttons or cords or anything. Hmm. You place a hand on the nearest...thing...and wait to see what lies around the corner. If its death, you'll run. If not you'll stick around.  You hit the turn in the conveyor and a moment later you're out in open space. The conveyor leads out of a hole in a seemingly infinite metal wall and into an equally infinite abyss. This massive expanse of open air is absolutely packed with an uncountable number of conveyor bets. They weave among one another in absurd fashion, braided and twirling, looping and defying gravity with their loads. And among them countless supports and scaffolding to hold them, and among these endless mechanical limbs tweaking, building, transporting, shifting loads from one belt to another.  A furnace or crucible trundles by just overhead, its huge payload of molten metal visible as it hangs upside down. The spectacle is so grand, so vast, such a chaotic mess of motion, that you cannot even begin to understand it.  What you can understand, however, are the mechanical arms up ahead  that are picking these strange metal cones up off the belt and carrying them off somewhere above.

Curl and fall asleep in the ground out of boredom.

[Sleeping Moth Noises]

Try to break of some large branches of the tree to take with me.

You grab one of the branches and give it a tug. It snaps easily so you do the same with several more, gathering 5 fairly large branches of crystalline lead.

"Hey, compatriot, if you manage some of those branches, mind if I take one for experimentation purposes?

Also, could you give me a hand here? We still have a third barrel to break open."

Neat. Check if I can see anything other than the magnetizing chrome foil in barrel 2.

If Harm gives me a hand, try to lift up the third barrel with the two of us and then drop it to the floor, in order to break it open. If she doens't, I doubt I could lift it by myself so just give it a few good whacks with the shovel instead.

You roll the barrel back and forth a bit. The foil covers most of the stuff in there but you think there are things under it.

Harm seems too busy picking toxic plants to help so you go to town with your shovel. [7] You hit it dead center with the shovel and the third barrel splits in half so cleanly and easily that you'd almost think it was designed to do that.  Inside the barrel are more of those octahedron things along with a large rod of what looks like polished Labradorite, complete with its distinctive blue-green adularescence.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:07 am »

"Oh dear. What happened? Did something break? Did we fall?" Kara asked, feeling the pain and tiredness of her body. It was possible, she considered, that the Crystal Friend had moved them, but she don't think suggesting that would be very good for her popularity. Especially considering the state of Vikkan's-
"Oh, Vikkan! Your-" Kara was about to say stump, but she didn't think it would be polite to do so. After all, he was a very capable driver, even if he didn't have a hand.
"Help! Is anyone a medic? Vikkan needs help! I think his arm was cut by whatever moved us!"

If nobody helps Vikkan, help Vikkan.

Grab that shiny artifact, using my shirt to hold it, like gloves. How does it look? How does it feel?

EDIT: Also get my shiny Crystal Friend. Get ALL THE SHINIES! THEY SHALL ALL BE MINE!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:31:10 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 231