Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 391549 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #525 on: August 05, 2018, 07:25:05 pm »

"It looks like a trash can, but let's carry it to the group and see if they can tell what it is, since we haven't seen this kind of thing before." Vikkan said.

Carry the trashcan-looking thing to the rest of the group to see if anyone can identify it, with Garos' help.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Like I want your sorry ass to have my beautiful crystal babies
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2018, 12:52:58 am »

Contemplate the likely purpose of the ultraheavy cube itself. Is it probably just a storage block? Well-shielded container? Exotic new crystal life form?

EDIT: Get winched up into the bore, tell the guards no I don't have the artifact but we're working on it, and ask to borrow the gemcutting knife from Harm. Then get winched back down, asking the guards nicely.

Assuming I get the knife, return to the black cube and cut eight quarter-inch cubes (presumably each weighing 20-25 lbs apiece) and keep as many as I can comfortably carry. If my prior contemplations don't conclude there's nothing at the core of the cube or that the cube would be more useful whole, keep cutting and prying half-inch cube sections onto the floor to get at this hypothetical mystery center.

If I don't get the knife but do return to the city, try to open loot doors with my crystalfriend, and borrow another crystalfriend to open another lootdoor if that fails. Then start looting or just sort of pouting that nothing worked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:04:02 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2018, 01:29:50 am »

Just carry the trashcan thingy along with Vikkan for now.
"An expensive looking trash can, so perhaps we can sell it to someone with eccentric tastes. That is, once we do solve this issue related to the collars."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:25:45 pm by Praefectus Screptum »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 06, 2018, 01:33:12 am »

You didn't make me roll for that last time. What's changed?
Help translate Kara's tablet thingy.

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:17:24 am by Egan_BW »
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2018, 07:55:26 am »

"I could certainly use a rest from Diving, Aspirant. It takes a toll. The Silent night takes a toll too, as you have noticed. I thank you again for nursing me through the worst of the withdrawal. That was quite an experience. The Worm's Blood helps, for sure.

Tell me, Aspirant: Which material Spheres do you feel the strongest affinity for? Perhaps you can be of use, depending on what the other Captured wish to do. They should have been away from the guards long enough by now to have had a chance to decide their fates, don't you think?"

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 06, 2018, 10:21:25 am »

...Ah! I must have nodded off there. This collar has not been good for my mental well-being I must say. We can always return to these ruins but these, I am afraid, have quite a strict deadline. So whatever we shall do, may we do it soon?

Snap out of my stupor. I heard there were untranslated tablets. Try my hand at them.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 06, 2018, 02:24:36 pm »

Try to identify the thing that Vikkan is carrying.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:43 pm »

"Affinity? To be honest, I'm not really sure... I have heard most Ethral are alinged with the spheres of Yengenze and Balarim..."

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #533 on: August 07, 2018, 11:17:55 am »

"Thank you for bringing me to my senses, Aspirant.

I am getting a little tired from all this Diving. Too much work to be done to sleep yet.

Coming, Aspirant?"

If the bridge is safely traversable for AsHul, do so. Are there entrances into the ruins that he can reach fro the bridge? If so, peek in to see if there are apparent threats. if no threats reveal themselves, enter the ruins. If I spot teammates other than Lokam, wave and call out to them.

"Y-yeah..! But maybe you shouldn't dive so much. I wish I could help, but I have never tried to dive before."

Carefully follow AsHul. Try not to fall and use my wings if I do fall.

Ok you two officially reconnect with the group.

"Hey Kara, I've got a bunch of tablets you might want to check out."

What noteworthy ores, crystals and minerals does the sample contain?

Take the samples, give Kara the tablets and open the box and inspect its contents.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Depends on what you consider noteworthy. There's some black opal here, not good enough to be very valuable but rare none-the-less, along with some unique quartz varieties, and the goldlace marble that mason is famous for.

You give Kara the tablets  and put the samples in your bag before opening the box. Inside the box is what appears to be a crystal golem in a state of either disrepair or unfinished construction; Its a simple thing, an 8 sided diamond shaped body with a variety of legs and other parts lined up in little metal cubicles along the walls.

Kara is not one to look a gift tablet in the axle, so she makes a polite bow and accepts the tablets.
"Thanks! That's great. The more we know the better we can use what we get from this place."

"Uh, anybody want to read this with me?"

Give my Crystal Friend to anyone who might want to explore some more or open boxes.

Try to read the tablets Alex found (the ones linked by an axle) if nobody more qualified is able to.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
[16]
You're not really sure what they say. If you had to guess it might have something to do with the contents of the barrel?

Tell them That something caused a bunch of people to run off quickly. Then tell them that some of those people came back, but I’m not positive whether they have the artifact. Tell them I came up to give a status update, and ask how much time we have left.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
The man nods through your statements and then shouts the gist of them up to the people above. When you ask about time he says about an hour has passed since you were lowered into the ruins.

Kara approaches Clate with this new information.
"Hey Clate. First of all, great work on getting us down here, it was a smooth ride, as expected. Sorry I didn't congratulate you sooner, but, you know, we had more pressing matters."
"Still haven't figured out what happened with that missing time." she muttered to herself.
"So, anyway, what I wanted to say was that we found some very interesting information on those tablets. It looks like that rod can be used to control stone or at least stone constructs. Would you be willing to test it or give it to a Diver so they can test it? I'm thinking it could be used to gather all those constructs so we can use them later. Maybe we could even use them to attack those people that abducted us without risking our lives."

"So this is more than just a shiny bauble? What wonderful news you bring me, friend Kara! Let us find the nearest construct and test it out."

Find one of those spider constructs. Touch it with the obedience rod. Then point the rod to it, then to one of the locked doors and say "Kinakover" (unlock).

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
[4]
You walk around a bit until you find a construct like the one Kindheart had. You find one on the ceiling of a hall and boop it with the rod. It stops moving and seems to be awaiting orders. you point the rod toward a door and when nothing happens you sort of thrust it forward a bit. The spider moves with strange rolling grace on its knife point legs, flowing down the wall and towards the door. You say the command and nothing happens. You try it a few times, in different pronunciations until finally one seems to work. The construct lifts a leg and touches the door. The doors look the same as before but the tip of the limb penetrates through a bit.

Just carry the trashcan thingy along with Vikkan for now.
"An expensive looking trash can, so perhaps we can sell it to someone with eccentric tastes. That is, once we do solve this issue related to the collars."
"It looks like a trash can, but let's carry it to the group and see if they can tell what it is, since we haven't seen this kind of thing before." Vikkan said.

Carry the trashcan-looking thing to the rest of the group to see if anyone can identify it, with Garos' help.
You both carry the stone trashcan thing out to the balcony room; between the two of them the weight of the thing isn't too bad. Nothing easy, mind, but nothing terrible either.  They set it down in the center of the room and Vikkan calls for help inspecting the thing.

Contemplate the likely purpose of the ultraheavy cube itself. Is it probably just a storage block? Well-shielded container? Exotic new crystal life form?

EDIT: Get winched up into the bore, tell the guards no I don't have the artifact but we're working on it, and ask to borrow the gemcutting knife from Harm. Then get winched back down, asking the guards nicely.

Assuming I get the knife, return to the black cube and cut eight quarter-inch cubes (presumably each weighing 20-25 lbs apiece) and keep as many as I can comfortably carry. If my prior contemplations don't conclude there's nothing at the core of the cube or that the cube would be more useful whole, keep cutting and prying half-inch cube sections onto the floor to get at this hypothetical mystery center.

If I don't get the knife but do return to the city, try to open loot doors with my crystalfriend, and borrow another crystalfriend to open another lootdoor if that fails. Then start looting or just sort of pouting that nothing worked.

[15]
Hmm. Well there are a few possibilities. If its a container its probably containing either something extremely valuable or something extremely dangerous. Maybe both. It might have some sort of structural purpose. honestly considering how much it weighs it would be surprising if it didn't. Or, and here's the kicker, it might be some sort of tool or weapon. The obedience rod said it  controlled stone but it wasn't specific about what stone and if it just worked on the living stone of the golems. If you could control osmething like that bock in the same way you could control a golem, it would be a hell of a weapon...albeit a very difficult one to transport.

I'll just assume the knife was loaned to you earlier.  You go slice pieces off the block but can only get 2 of them; 50 lbs is about as much as you can possibly carry.

You didn't make me roll for that last time. What's changed?
Help translate Kara's tablet thingy.

Did I not? Oversight on my part then.

[1]
The tablets are instructions about the construction and use of the golem in the box.  It appears that one need only "Snap" the desired limbs on where they want and the golem will adjust.

...Ah! I must have nodded off there. This collar has not been good for my mental well-being I must say. We can always return to these ruins but these, I am afraid, have quite a strict deadline. So whatever we shall do, may we do it soon?

Snap out of my stupor. I heard there were untranslated tablets. Try my hand at them.

TOOOOO
LAAAAATE
LOOOOOSER

Try to identify the thing that Vikkan is carrying.

[6]
You're 99.9% certain its literally a trash can. Albeit an odd one. You grab a rock and throw it into the thing. The rock disappears beneath the fluid despite the fact that the thin layer of fluid shouldn't have been able to cover more than a fraction of the stone. So its either deeper than it looks or is fantastically quick at destroying stone.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #534 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:27 am »

((I think this is a plan that involves everyone and minimizes risk. Feel free to tell me how horrible it is and suggest improvements/changes.))

Kara will try to gather Nyw, Drett, Clate, Vikkan, Adam and AsHul and explain to them her plan. Anyone else is welcome to join but those are the people Kara trusts and/or needs for this little mutiny.

"I have no reason to trust that our employees will simply let us go once we do our job. In fact, I believe they will most likely take us out the moment we're no longer a danger to the artifact and to them. And I'm sure most of you feel the same. So I propose we take the bore over. That's why I've gathered you here. So we can discuss a plan to do so."

"The plan I have hinges on certain things happening. If those things don't happen, then I want to state outright we're probably better off pretending we were never going to try anything and hope our abductors won't just kill us when we're done. I want to be clear that I DO NOT want us to die for some stupid suicidal plan or for honour or the church or anything like that. I want to maximize everyone's chances of survival, mine included."

"So, the plan. First, we can use Clate's rod to gather as many constructs as we can. They can be commanded to attack or act as cover. There's also a 'find' command, maybe we can use that to make them find and pick up weapons. Even if they're not very effective at combat, they will give the guards something other than us to shoot at."

"Once ready, we send Vikkan to the bore, along with anyone else who wants to join the group inside the bore. The bore group will disassemble the lift for later use and prepare traps and hiding places inside the bore if they can. Using his injury as an excuse, Vikkan will very slowly pilot the bore back to our original breach point, to give us time to prepare. If asked, he can say that we found the Artifact but can't risk bringing it up through the lift (we can say that it's held in a heavy construct we can't open), so we need to relocate the bore so we can use the bridge."

"Meanwhile, the rest of us will cross the bridge with the constructs and prepare a trap on the place the bore will be. Seeing as the Star Dragon is able to remain active a small distance away from the ruins, I'm hoping the other constructs will also be able to function. We hide the constructs and wait for the bore to arrive. Once the bore arrives, a team waits for some guards to get out. If they don't get out, we can send someone good with words inside to try to convince them to come out. Maybe we can say we want them to identify the Artifact before we risk breaking the construct that has it."

"The biggest threat to us is those collars. The most important part of the plan is we need a Diver to temporarily disable radio communications. I don't know much about diving but I think it would be easiest to shift radio frequencies or otherwise scramble them, rather than outright stop them. A tinker can also try to do the same using any antennas we have on the bore. Even if the effect doesn't last for a long time, hopefully after the first few failed attempts to detonate they'll stop trying or will be too busy to try."

"We should try to keep our attack quiet for as long as we can. We need to try to prevent them from retreating and regrouping or alerting the others. The more we can ambush the better. However, when we go loud, we should not hold back. Our lives are worth more than theirs. The only thing worth more than the life of one of us is the bore, since it's our only way out of here. Without it, we're all dead. We might be able to repair parts of it, but the control room is extremely fragile and complex, we can't afford any harm to come to it. That's why I propose Nyw accompany Vikkan in the cockpit (he can say he's just helping him climb the ladder). He's an Honored Dead, they're supposed to be the best at close range combat, so he's our best chance of taking them out without harming the control room. Once we go loud, Vikkan can move the bore around to cut off the control room from the rest of the bore. He can also shake the bore to disorient our enemy, giving a signal beforehand (e.g. rev the engine) to ensure we have time to secure ourselves."

"If the diving fails to disable the collars and surrender is not an option, then... I know it's desperate but I can try to hug one of the guards and... steal their detonator or punch them or something. Hopefully they'll be smart enough not to risk detonating the collars with me so close." And if they do detonate, it will be one less guard for the rest of us to worry about.

"When we are victorious, we can find a way to remove the collars or interrogate the guards for the location of the key we need to unlock them. If we're lucky they'll have it on them."

"There is an alternative to all that. We could have someone light the artifact on fire and pipe the fumes through the bore's ventilation system to knock the guards unconscious and maybe kill them, but there's too many things that can go wrong with that. It would be better if we had some airborne poison, but even then it would be risky and indiscriminate."

"For my part, I think it would be best if I use my rifle (and any rifles we pick up from the guards) to support the offensive. I'm also quick and a good climber, so I can act as a messenger, deliver supplies or find alternate routes and vantage points if Vikkan turns the bore around."

"So, uh, that's it, more or less. Any thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Should we vote on it or... is it terrible? I'd understand if you don't want to do it, I'm just as afraid as you are, probably more. But I prefer doing something about it than resigning to my fate. Fortune helps those who help themselves, after all."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 07, 2018, 11:42:43 am »

((Hey guys, something that was discussed on the discord recently: would you guys prefer to return tot the bore soon and get the mission over with, or would people prefer to hang around more to do more exploring? It seems some people were waiting to leave a couple turns ago but then started looting since other people weren’t going yet.))

You're 99.9% certain its literally a trash can. Albeit an odd one. You grab a rock and throw it into the thing. The rock disappears beneath the fluid despite the fact that the thin layer of fluid shouldn't have been able to cover more than a fraction of the stone. So its either deeper than it looks or is fantastically quick at destroying stone.

"Sorry boys, looks like what you found is some sort of trashcan or trash compactor. I wouldn't stick my hand in it if I were you, in case it can get rid of more things besides stone."

Prelim action: Explore the ruins some more in search of valuables or interesting things, using my crystal construct to open doors as needed.   

The mother of all snips.

Adam is surprised by the bird as she details her idea. He hadn't thought her so combative, but all the better.

"Well, it's good to hear we have someone else who doesn't trust those rogues and let the artifact fall into their hands. However, I have thought about trying to protect us from radiowaves in order to prevent the collrs from being detonated, but it'd be very risky. Both because it would be a difficult dive in and of itself, where failure might have grave consequences indeed, and the fact that the collars might have countermeasures against these types of interference. A deadman switch could prove fatal indeed, though we might be able to find that out by pretending to the guards that the artifact is in a shielded room or something. And if they have no key, then we'll need to find some other way to disable them, in which case we might as well do that now since it'll probably involve a dive.

As for the rest, I'll have to think about it more first."

((Aka gotta run, more responding later, maybe.))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:49:17 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 07, 2018, 12:40:49 pm »

"If it does that to more than just rocks then it'd be perfect for trash disposal, specially in a place like a bore. But since the crystal people were... Well, crystals, I'm not sure it's as good at disposing of anything else." Vikkan commented, looking for and failing to find anything disposable non-rock/metal object on his person he could use for an experiment.

Intercepted by Kara, Vikkan sighed. "How many of the preparations need to succeed for you to want to go on with the plan? I was truly hoping we'd be either set free after this, or at least kept like this for more tasks and given more time to prepare to break out. I can understand not wanting to wait and see, specially in this situation."

More looting. Preferably find another crystal construct to act as a key as well.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »

"Anything would be better than giving up. That is certain death."

Sigh. Sige next.
What limbs does the seemingly modular construct have available? Any that seem intended for combat?

Also: I have diving skill, tell me what physically happens to objects that are used as sacrifices.

Also also: I'd like to capture a crystal golem. I plan to sacrifice it in a dive relating to Balarim, so something that looks more complex and valuable would be better.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:34:19 am by Egan_BW »
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 07, 2018, 01:37:51 pm »

"H-hey, Adam! I'm b-back! Can I g-go with you?"

Follow Adam and explore the ruins.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Hotfire90

« Reply #539 on: August 07, 2018, 01:40:44 pm »

"I'd be willing to lend my mail shirt to someone, it could save someone's life, or at least lessen the severity of their wounds. Otherwise I wouldn't be of much help fighting against the guards directly, especially since my shovel broke."
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 231