Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384935 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Like I want your sorry ass to have my beautiful crystal babies
« Reply #540 on: August 07, 2018, 02:04:06 pm »

Nyw patiently listens to Kara detail her elaborate plan, only speaking once she's done.  "Quite the clever plan, Kara.  I see no great flaw in it, though I feel uncertain as to my own understanding; allow me to restate it, such that you can correct any mistake?

First, we must disable the collars, presumably through diving.  We only need to disable the collars of Vikkan, myself, and those skilled in combat.

Second, we must gather a small army of golems, and gather them in the cave across the bridge.

Third, Vikkan and I enter the bridge, and bring the bore to the ambush.

Fourthly and finally, those with disabled collars storm the bore, while those without wait within the ruins, carrying the artifact.  Correct, yes?"
  Nyw pauses for a few seconds, considering.

"I see few true requirements for this plan.  It does hinge on our collars being disabled, but that is a requirement of any plan.  It is, if anything, less of a requirement, as noncombatants need not have their collars disabled.  The golems might not be useful, or as numerous as you hope, but they are a luxury which we will not have with any other plan.  The only true walls are if the guards refuse to let us move the bore, or if they bar me from the cockpit.  Neither seems likely, as they have never cared greatly about our movements or those of the bore.

Finally, the only alternative plan I see is to disable every collar, now, and then to strike during the return trip, while some of the guards sleep.  I saw none of them rest during the journey here, and they will require sleep eventually.  However, I do prefer your plan, Kara, as it minimizes risk to those most vulnerable."

Not really an action.  "Agree with Kara's plan, and stop anyone from being foolish and returning to the bore", I guess.  Sadly Nyw was distracted when Harm returned, oh well.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #541 on: August 07, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »

((It was brought to my attention in IRC that I tend to write a lot and that sometimes makes my posts hard to read. Sorry. I'll try to do better.))

The mother of all snips.

Adam is surprised by the bird as she details her idea. He hadn't thought her so combative, but all the better.

"Well, it's good to hear we have someone else who doesn't trust those rogues and let the artifact fall into their hands. However, I have thought about trying to protect us from radiowaves in order to prevent the collrs from being detonated, but it'd be very risky. Both because it would be a difficult dive in and of itself, where failure might have grave consequences indeed, and the fact that the collars might have countermeasures against these types of interference. A deadman switch could prove fatal indeed, though we might be able to find that out by pretending to the guards that the artifact is in a shielded room or something. And if they have no key, then we'll need to find some other way to disable them, in which case we might as well do that now since it'll probably involve a dive.

As for the rest, I'll have to think about it more first."

((Aka gotta run, more responding later, maybe.))
"I think that any such dead man's switch, if it really exists, will have a delay. But I do agree that disabling the collars is better in the long term, in case we don't find another way to remove them. However disabling them carries the risk of exploding someone's head if done improperly. It can also be more difficult for the diver if they have to make multiple dives, as opposed for a single dive to scramble communications in an area."

"In the end both carry risk. I will agree with whatever choice our divers make."

Stuff
"Yes, your are correct."
"I'm not so sure about the golems. Perhaps the constructs are more trouble than they're worth. But that's why I want to discuss it with you, so we can hear each other's opinion."

Intercepted by Kara, Vikkan sighed. "How many of the preparations need to succeed for you to want to go on with the plan? I was truly hoping we'd be either set free after this, or at least kept like this for more tasks and given more time to prepare to break out. I can understand not wanting to wait and see, specially in this situation."
"The most important thing is somehow disabling the collars. The second most important is securing the bridge."

"I don't want to force people to do something they don't want. But I am afraid and I think fighting is my best chance to stay alive. That's why I thought I should say something, because if we want to do something we need to decide about it now."

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:06:15 pm by Parisbre56 »

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 07, 2018, 06:07:48 pm »

Proceed looting along with Vikkan.
"Perhaps this time we will have more luck. I am sure a place full of crystals has more to offer than just some fancy trash bin."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:48 pm »

"I don't wish to risk merely scrambling the radio frequency, or hoping that I will be out of range here in the ruins. If Adam were so kind as to lend me usage of his relic, I will disable it myself."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:54 pm »

Standing stock still ever since Nyw touched her, the abomination slowly opens her mouth, snake bits falling freely, and grabs at her collar as she begins to dive.

Spoiler: Diving action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:48:17 am by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 07, 2018, 09:49:00 pm »

Oh, light above does she have to do it here? Drett mumbles as the abomination settles into a dive. But I agree. We must guarantee our freedom. The constructs are not a bad idea, as they could be seen as possible gains from the mission. However, I am afraid I will be useless until after the ordeal is over; I have not combat skills having grown in the archives.

I may be able to envenom one of the guards, but that will be the extent of my abilities.

Stay safely away from the diving lizardfreak. Are my doses of spider venom in individual hypodermics, or would I have to use a piece from my doctor's kit?

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 07, 2018, 10:18:35 pm »

Find a room to use as a base of sorts for crafting/materials storage. Go get materials from the barrel and retrieve knife. Use knife to turn some material from barrel into bladed weapon. Probably a short sword or a machete kind of weapon. FYI the barrel junk is currently reflected as generic structural junk in my inventory.
What does the blue crystal in my inventory count for? Additionally, does it seem like it would be sharp and strong if used for a weapon?
Also, should each chunk of crystalline lead in my inventory count as chemical junk? If so, could I use it straight up to craft bullets?

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2018, 07:42:01 am »

"I have already disabled one collar, and disposed of two guards. Does this improve your optimism toward this plan?

I can offer a suggestion for disabling the collars, and several suggestions for an ambush, if you will allow me.

First, while the Dive is difficult, one could transmute the explosives in the collars into an inert substance. In my case, that substance was highly magnetic, and very heavy. htat as a side effect of a misstep in Balaram. There are other possible outcomes to such a misstep, such as turning the substance radioactive.

second, one can sacrifice some object associated with Balaram to considerably lessen the risk of the dive. doing so, one with high affinity in the sphere of Balaram should have little trouble disabling the collars. I am sure that many of the fine items you have located while you've been here would suffice for that sacrifice. I know this object is enough for one such Dive:"

Here, AsHul holds up his brass sphere he brought back from Balaram.

"should it be necessary, I am willing to Dive to Balaram to locate other such artifacts. I am loathe to dispose of this one just yet, as I have yet ot determine it's purpose or powers. But, I have already taken action against our abductors and potentially increased the risk to all of you, so I am willing to sacrifice for your benefit, should you choose that path.

I offer another option to your ambush: place your loyal constructs on the Bore - say in the empty rooms or in storage or such - someplace out of the way but readily accessible. Let everyone who is prepared to act return to the bore, while claiming that the others were lost in the ruins or killed. The bore should return to where we first breached this area, since our captors left two guards to watch the Aspirant and myself. They would expect to pick those two up, at least. feing ignorance of their fate. The guards will likely send at least two more out to gather their companions and the Aspirant and myself. I will dispose of them as I did the others, leaving you ...how many? Eight? Eight guards to combat, I believe.

AsHul pauses, a hand held up for silence.

"however, if you wish to poison them instead, I might be able to convert some of the air in the bore into a lethal gas. I cannot guarantee it would take effect before tehy triggered some failsafe on the collars, though."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:12:15 am by Ozarck »

Hotfire90

« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2018, 08:02:38 am »

"I'm not sure how helpful those constructs will be in fighting the guards, though there is a solid obsidian cube in another room, we could test their effectiveness there."

Assemble the golem and convert the barrel and the box into junk.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:04:43 am by Hotfire90 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2018, 08:45:55 am »

Try to read the last entry in the diary tablet we found. What is it about?
You go through the tablets one by one, translating each.  The translation isn't perfect but you think you get the gist of each. There are three distinct subjects: the first is a diary...or maybe a record of current events of the time? Hard to say since they make no reference to themselves or any of their thoughts, they just record whats going on.  The second is instructions for the use of an "Obedience rod" a tool for manipulating specific kinds of stone.  The third is a short list of objects, apparently an inventory.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #550 on: August 08, 2018, 11:21:16 am »

"I have already disabled one collar, and disposed of two guards. Does this improve your optimism toward this plan?"
"It does. And it certainly makes matters more pressing, if nothing else. It means that whatever we do, it's probably best to do it now, because I don't think they'll take the death of some of their own lightly. Even if they don't become hostile, they will definitely become more cautious."

"I can offer a suggestion for disabling the collars, and several suggestions for an ambush, if you will allow me.
"Like I said, we're in this together. That means we need everyone to contribute if this is going to work." Even if they are creepy Abominations.

"should it be necessary, I am willing to Dive to Balaram to locate other such artifacts. I am loathe to dispose of this one just yet, as I have yet ot determine it's purpose or powers. But, I have already taken action against our abductors and potentially increased the risk to all of you, so I am willing to sacrifice for your benefit, should you choose that path."
"You saw an opportunity and took it. I see nothing wrong with that. If you wish to help further, then you have my thanks."

"I offer another option to your ambush: place your loyal constructs on the Bore - say in the empty rooms or in storage or such - someplace out of the way but readily accessible. Let everyone who is prepared to act return to the bore, while claiming that the others were lost in the ruins or killed. The bore should return to where we first breached this area, since our captors left two guards to watch the Aspirant and myself. They would expect to pick those two up, at least. feing ignorance of their fate. The guards will likely send at least two more out to gather their companions and the Aspirant and myself. I will dispose of them as I did the others, leaving you ...how many? Eight? Eight guards to combat, I believe.
"That is a good idea. However we are already putting a lot of weight on our divers' shoulders with the need to take care of the collars. I wouldn't want to stress you further. I was hoping that a trap or an ambush would give our other combatants the advantage." ((Read: Someone could use Cunning to set a trap. I was also hoping piecewise would give an advantage to attack rolls that are part of an ambush.))

"however, if you wish to poison them instead, I might be able to convert some of the air in the bore into a lethal gas. I cannot guarantee it would take effect before tehy triggered some failsafe on the collars, though."
"But what would happen to any of our people inside the bore if you did that? I mean, wouldn't you need to enter the bore to perform such a dive?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:55 am »

"I'll just be rounding up these constructs while you guys hammer out the details then. I'm perfectly willing to try and make poison gas to disperse in the vents or something, if we can scrounge up the chemical components somehow.

Just so you know, that tablet didn't have a 'follow' command on it, so we may need to get creative in getting them to the bore. It does have an 'attack' command, so at least we're covered there."

Inspect the door, is it open now that the construct did its thing? If not, jab the rod in the direction of the door and say "SERVARE : BREAK". If the doors is opened at any point, inspect what's behind then.

Then, go around the place and touch the rod to any construct I find. See if they follow me after I touch them.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 08, 2018, 11:48:59 am »

Quote from: Ozarck
"I offer another option to your ambush: place your loyal constructs on the Bore - say in the empty rooms or in storage or such - someplace out of the way but readily accessible. Let everyone who is prepared to act return to the bore, while claiming that the others were lost in the ruins or killed. The bore should return to where we first breached this area, since our captors left two guards to watch the Aspirant and myself. They would expect to pick those two up, at least. feing ignorance of their fate. The guards will likely send at least two more out to gather their companions and the Aspirant and myself. I will dispose of them as I did the others, leaving you ...how many? Eight? Eight guards to combat, I believe.
"That is a good idea. However we are already putting a lot of weight on our divers' shoulders with the need to take care of the collars. I wouldn't want to stress you further. I was hoping that a trap or an ambush would give our other combatants the advantage." ((Read: Someone could use Cunning to set a trap. I was also hoping piecewise would give an advantage to attack rolls that are part of an ambush.))
"It is true, Generous Corven: dealing with the collars is rather intense. Diving into stone, on the other hand, is less intense, and can be quite effective, though there is significant risk should the Dive take a turn. This is true with any Dive."

Quote from: Ozarck
"But what would happen to any of our people inside the bore if you did that? I mean, wouldn't you need to enter the bore to perform such a dive?"
"Should we attempt to poison the guards via gases, Generous Corven, it would certainly be best for none of the abducted to be on board at that point. I could possibly do the Dive from nearby, or from within an airlock, but as you say, it would be a risk. Disabling the collars still seems the safest and most straightforward method to regain control of your fates."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 08, 2018, 11:51:55 am »

To make sure he doesn't forget about it: ;V
[12:40 PM] ER: Hey @Mr.Bones Could I roll at advantage for diving in the current circumstance? The crystal ruins are a fairly comfortable temperature, I'm surrounded by people considered my allies, and I am not aware of any immediate dangers other than the collar's timer. And Moku.
[12:41 PM] ER: Maybe mentioning Moku won't help my chances here. V_V

[...]

[12:42 PM] Mr.Bones: Hmmm
[12:42 PM] Mr.Bones: !roll d6
[12:42 PM] BOTRPBot: @Mr.Bones rolled 4.
[12:42 PM] Mr.Bones: Sure
[12:42 PM] ER: praise the sun!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #554 on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »

"H-hey, Adam! I'm b-back! Can I g-go with you?"

Follow Adam and explore the ruins.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
((Hey guys, something that was discussed on the discord recently: would you guys prefer to return tot the bore soon and get the mission over with, or would people prefer to hang around more to do more exploring? It seems some people were waiting to leave a couple turns ago but then started looting since other people weren’t going yet.))

You're 99.9% certain its literally a trash can. Albeit an odd one. You grab a rock and throw it into the thing. The rock disappears beneath the fluid despite the fact that the thin layer of fluid shouldn't have been able to cover more than a fraction of the stone. So its either deeper than it looks or is fantastically quick at destroying stone.

"Sorry boys, looks like what you found is some sort of trashcan or trash compactor. I wouldn't stick my hand in it if I were you, in case it can get rid of more things besides stone."

Prelim action: Explore the ruins some more in search of valuables or interesting things, using my crystal construct to open doors as needed.   

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

The mother of all snips.

Adam is surprised by the bird as she details her idea. He hadn't thought her so combative, but all the better.

"Well, it's good to hear we have someone else who doesn't trust those rogues and let the artifact fall into their hands. However, I have thought about trying to protect us from radiowaves in order to prevent the collrs from being detonated, but it'd be very risky. Both because it would be a difficult dive in and of itself, where failure might have grave consequences indeed, and the fact that the collars might have countermeasures against these types of interference. A deadman switch could prove fatal indeed, though we might be able to find that out by pretending to the guards that the artifact is in a shielded room or something. And if they have no key, then we'll need to find some other way to disable them, in which case we might as well do that now since it'll probably involve a dive.

As for the rest, I'll have to think about it more first."

((Aka gotta run, more responding later, maybe.))
You have a crystal construct? Hmm I don't remember it. I only remember Kara's, Irony's, and Clate's. Remind me what it is? I'll assume you have it anyways.

[14]

You wander about for a while, opening doors. You find a good number of empty rooms and even more rooms with little of interest in them unless you want general stone furniture. You choose the rooms at random and there is a distinct feeling in your gut that you're somehow choosing each and every one that has nothing.

"If it does that to more than just rocks then it'd be perfect for trash disposal, specially in a place like a bore. But since the crystal people were... Well, crystals, I'm not sure it's as good at disposing of anything else." Vikkan commented, looking for and failing to find anything disposable non-rock/metal object on his person he could use for an experiment.

Intercepted by Kara, Vikkan sighed. "How many of the preparations need to succeed for you to want to go on with the plan? I was truly hoping we'd be either set free after this, or at least kept like this for more tasks and given more time to prepare to break out. I can understand not wanting to wait and see, specially in this situation."

More looting. Preferably find another crystal construct to act as a key as well.
Proceed looting along with Vikkan.
"Perhaps this time we will have more luck. I am sure a place full of crystals has more to offer than just some fancy trash bin."
[18][3]
You both wander around for a long while until Garos notices a little golem. This one is really nothing more than a faceted sphere rolling along one wall, defying gravity.  Vikkan plucks it up with his good hand and examines it. It doesn't grow legs or change or anything...it really is just a polygonal ball shape made of some kind of semitransparent white quartz, about the size of  a clenched fist. He carries it over and taps it against a door and it lets his hand pass through.

"Totally functional, I suppose. Maybe even better since it won't wander off."

"Anything would be better than giving up. That is certain death."

Sigh. Sige next.
What limbs does the seemingly modular construct have available? Any that seem intended for combat?

Also: I have diving skill, tell me what physically happens to objects that are used as sacrifices.

Also also: I'd like to capture a crystal golem. I plan to sacrifice it in a dive relating to Balarim, so something that looks more complex and valuable would be better.

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
[9]
Sige is a place of constant change, realm of a force known as "the Flux". Its a fluid dimension, filled with liquids of different densities and materials, all shifting like a lava lamp. There are islands of more solid material, but their shapes are always changing. The inhabitants are equally mutable gel like creatures who seem to share a consciousness and hate stagnant or unchanging things. They want to spread the flux and are known to act...deviously to do so. They seem to have great difficulty distinguishing one human from another and understanding the concept of individuality. Dangerous to go there for any long period of time as it will result in mutation.

They are consumed. How that happens varies depending on the spheres involved but they are taken and cannot be returned.

[5]
You walk around and eventually spot a golem on the ceiling. It looks like a line of cut emeralds with smaller stones bulking up the space between them, crawling along like a caterpillar on the ceiling.

Standing stock still ever since Nyw touched her, the abomination slowly opens her mouth, snake bits falling freely, and grabs at her collar as she begins to dive.

Spoiler: Diving action (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
You missed the final roll of that. The Dex roll for Noth.

You kneel down and set the snake sections out in front of you, placing your hand over them before beginning the dive. The snake sections shimmer into a bright glow, then seem to...simplify. Their facets just sort of become fewer and fewer, their level of detail diminishing until nothing but a flat white plane and then a glowing speck, then nothing.
 (9,   6,   20,   3,   9,   19,   6) [-2 nerve + 2 from sacrifice= -0 nerve][18, 2]

You return to yourself with a WHOMP and fall over backwards. Your head hits the ground and spreads out like jello before slurping back into place. You touch your face and find it very strange indeed. Its not that your bones are soft...its simply that they seem to slide across each other. Your flesh is much the same, sliding about as though it were attached via magnetism instead of sinew. You grab the collar and slip it over your head and neck with relative ease, though it deforms your head somewhat as it does so, dragging your jaws a good 8 inches out forwards before letting them snap back into place.

You look at the collar and note that it feels very slick in your hands. You should show this to someone.

Oh, light above does she have to do it here? Drett mumbles as the abomination settles into a dive. But I agree. We must guarantee our freedom. The constructs are not a bad idea, as they could be seen as possible gains from the mission. However, I am afraid I will be useless until after the ordeal is over; I have not combat skills having grown in the archives.

I may be able to envenom one of the guards, but that will be the extent of my abilities.

Stay safely away from the diving lizardfreak. Are my doses of spider venom in individual hypodermics, or would I have to use a piece from my doctor's kit?

They're in little glass vials, you'd need to use your own...applicators.

Find a room to use as a base of sorts for crafting/materials storage. Go get materials from the barrel and retrieve knife. Use knife to turn some material from barrel into bladed weapon. Probably a short sword or a machete kind of weapon. FYI the barrel junk is currently reflected as generic structural junk in my inventory.
What does the blue crystal in my inventory count for? Additionally, does it seem like it would be sharp and strong if used for a weapon?
Also, should each chunk of crystalline lead in my inventory count as chemical junk? If so, could I use it straight up to craft bullets?

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You start to move but the guard blocks your way. He tells you, quite firmly, that no one is coming back onto the bore until they have the artifact.

"I'm not sure how helpful those constructs will be in fighting the guards, though there is a solid obsidian cube in another room, we could test their effectiveness there."

Assemble the golem and convert the barrel and the box into junk.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Junking it will require breaking it apart.

As per your golem, the mothy lady and your own examinations tell you that you can't just slap every limb in the box on the thing; there are too many. In terms of things that look like modes of transport there are
1. 4 highly faceted orbs that look like they could work as wheels of a sort.
2. 4 long spidery limbs
3. Two thick, stumpy limbs
4. four even stumpier limbs
5. A single flat disc.

In terms of limbs there are a sorts including
1.segmented serpentine things
2.grasping clamps
3.hooks
4. 8 fingered hands
5. Thick stalks that end in spheres.

Try to read the last entry in the diary tablet we found. What is it about?
You go through the tablets one by one, translating each.  The translation isn't perfect but you think you get the gist of each. There are three distinct subjects: the first is a diary...or maybe a record of current events of the time? Hard to say since they make no reference to themselves or any of their thoughts, they just record whats going on.  The second is instructions for the use of an "Obedience rod" a tool for manipulating specific kinds of stone.  The third is a short list of objects, apparently an inventory.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

[12] You can't quite get it, but you get the vague impression that it is talking about construction of some sort.

"I'll just be rounding up these constructs while you guys hammer out the details then. I'm perfectly willing to try and make poison gas to disperse in the vents or something, if we can scrounge up the chemical components somehow.

Just so you know, that tablet didn't have a 'follow' command on it, so we may need to get creative in getting them to the bore. It does have an 'attack' command, so at least we're covered there."

Inspect the door, is it open now that the construct did its thing? If not, jab the rod in the direction of the door and say "SERVARE : BREAK". If the doors is opened at any point, inspect what's behind then.

Then, go around the place and touch the rod to any construct I find. See if they follow me after I touch them.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

You walk over to the door and poke it with a hand. You pass through the solid stone as though it were thick syrup.  You poke your head through the door and look around. The room is rather uninteresting; another home by the look of it. Bed, chair, and one of those barrels but it looks like this one is sitting open.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 231