Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 381120 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: The Return
« Reply #765 on: August 28, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »

((I apologize for multiple actions again, but it's so I can hopefully be ready to go once the next mission hits.))

1. The raw materials for the workshop are 150 fathoms (if my math is correct). And we're also looking to install basic living conditions in the bore (sleeping arrangements, mess hall, bathroom, common room), though we haven't discussed the required parts for that. Explain this to this GTA representative that my crew is looking to do some substantial purchases for these bore upgrades, and that if he cuts me a deal on these purchases I'll make sure they do it through a GTA vendor.

2. Look around GTA affiliated vendors for someone selling occult stuff. If there is none, check other stores. Regardless of who I end up with, have a look at what they're selling to get an idea of what occult items are. Keep an eye out for weird crafting parts. Also check if they sell something akin to nyars boxes.

3. If I can find a spot around the outside of the town where I can test a weapon without damaging anything inside the town, go there and test the floating crystal baby's attack again on a sturdy piece of cave wall or something. If I don't think I can reasonably test fire without damaging the town, don't.

4. Have a look at the strandbeest crystal baby. Can I figure out what makes them tick without taking it apart? Do they have some kind of core, wiring, or other stuff I can see? Also estimate how resistant to explosions and other damage these crystal constructs are. 

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:48:25 am by Pancaek »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #766 on: August 28, 2018, 02:15:54 pm »

Vikkan was a bit thoughtful, but he checked the sheet of paper and passed it ahead before getting just a bit closer to Kara to whisper to her. "So about that lost time in the mission, I was told a theory that can help us understand a bit."

"Should we find some place that's quieter?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #767 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:39 pm »

Vikkan was a bit thoughtful, but he checked the sheet of paper and passed it ahead before getting just a bit closer to Kara to whisper to her. "So about that lost time in the mission, I was told a theory that can help us understand a bit."

"Should we find some place that's quieter?"

"Of course." Kara replied eagerly.
She got on one knee and placed her right palm on the other. She couldn't hope to lift Vikkan but she could offer to help steady him as he got up.

For a moment she considered saying nothing to the others and trying to slip away unnoticed, but of the two options that seemed to be the worse one. They would definitely notice her and Vikkan and might try to find her. Better to make sure they stay here.
"Friends, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a quick chat with Vikkan. Please stay here, I should be back soon."
That done, she offered her hand to Vikkan so they could keep each other steady and motioned forward with her head.
"Lead the way."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 28, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »

Vikkan accepted Kara's help more out of politeness than anything else, since they were both kind of screwed. "Yeah, it shouldn't be too long." he added before he led Kara away from the group and into the bore, where he felt more comfortable than in the warehouse with corpses and battle damage everywhere. He led her to a side room—not the one Auft had conducted her "recruitment" in—since climbing to the control room would take too long with both of them missing half of their grasping limbs. He rested against the wall.

"The member of the Church said we faced something terrible wasn't the only clue I had about the whole incident where my hand was wounded and we lost our memory. Wiellste took a look and said it probably had to do with on of the spheres, En. She mentioned the possibility it involved diving or something involving a black flame I don't remember ever having... But I remember purchasing a necklace to show my faith and all that's missing is the flame... She also theorized I actually might've had a hand before the event, but whatever occult event happened took it away."

"I'm not a diver, and I never was, so I doubt I've gone and lost my hand all by myself, but I guess we'll never know what happened. For the moment, I'd rather stay away from divers just to be on the safe side."
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #769 on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:43 pm »

Kara slowly walked around in a small circle, trying to fit this information into what she knew or thought she knew, muttering her thoughts out loud.
"So you're saying that something took your hand and the same thing took your black flame? It's hard to believe... I mean, I clearly remember you never having a hand and yet... It also makes sense. Why would something cut an already cut hand so cleanly? Why don't I remember myself noticing it? A missing hand is not something easily ignored. But I didn't notice it. Not when you were pulling that big lever, not when you were climbing to the control room, I didn't even write it in my-" Don't say diary! "my- my mind as something important. But why would we also be missing our memories? Damn diving. It makes no sense... And we were running and the others were chasing us... The Artifact was there... Running after something dangerous... Something you sacrificed your hand to En to-"
Kara's train of thought was derailed by a sudden realization. She turned to look at Vikkan with a horrified expression.
"Oh, Vikkan, your hand! I am being such an asshole right now. I- You-"
Kara once more stopped her train of thought, this time before it even had a chance to properly start. She was about to offer words of comfort and ask him how he felt, when she had nearly snapped at someone for doing the same with her.
I don't need to ask him how he feels. I know that. I lost my arm. I sacrificed my arm, gave it willingly. It means difficulty. No more climbing. Harder time drawing. And the sacrifice. It means I'll never be able to replace it. It means I feel disturbed and violated every time I think about it, that a piece of me is now... For someone who needs his hands to do what he always dreamed, who knows that even if he replaced what he lost he could never truly trust such a replacement... To not even know why he sacrificed his hand to En... I can only imagine how much more difficult it must be for him. What can I say that would make this better? Ha! All this training with words and there's nothing.
With nothing to say, she decided to do. She closed the gap between them with a quick step and wrapped her arm around his neck, resting her head on his chest. She remained silent for a second, simply standing there on the tip of her talons so she could reach him.
"I'm here." she said simply, reinforcing what she was saying with her body: You are not alone.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:16:38 pm by Parisbre56 »

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 28, 2018, 09:59:33 pm »

The abomination moves from her corpse pile, dragging two bodies and a vial of worms blood with her. She leaves the warehouse, bodies in tow, and heads to the bore. She enters and heads to the back corner of the bore.

The sounds of cracking bone can be heard from the corner.
Crafting/Diving with advantage
Spoiler: The Stuff (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:13 pm »

"Bu-but.." Wiellste stammers weakly as Kara and Vikkan walk away.
She becomes suddenly very aware of the large number of strange people nearby, and decides to leave as subtly as possible.

Stealth roll to follow Kara and Vikkan into the bore without them noticing, please! :V

Spoiler: Wiellste. x_u (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:16 pm »

"Something occult. Not really someone, since I don't think someone would just want my black flame. And my hand. Something strange happened, that's sure." Vikkan commented quite simply as Kara started to pace about while thinking about the situation. Despite how serious a situation it was, there was still something amusing to the Corven's circular movement, as if there was some special meaning to it that'd make her thinking better.

He rose his eyebrows in surprise when she called herself an asshole, and was even further surprised when she decided to move closer and hug him. He wrapped his non-bandaged arm around Kara as well, giving her back a few friendly pats. "I was going to joke that maybe I'd been the one to sacrifice my hand, but it'd be pretty ironic if that really was the case. If it was me, then I'm sorry for everyone's memories. Don't worry about my hand. Like I said I don't even remember ever having it, so that helps me quite a bit." Having no idea how it had disappeared and why was frustrating, but he could deal with it. If anyone was suffering far more than he was, he suspected the Corven who'd decided to sacrifice her entire arm would be that person.

"And to think I was going to give you a hug instead. You've really beat me to it." he added in his good-humored tone as he gave Kara a little squeeze.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:37:01 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #773 on: August 29, 2018, 02:16:28 am »

Kara pulled away to look at Vikkan with one eye while keeping her arm around his neck. She clicked her beak merrily while at the same time blinking her tears away.
"Haven't you heard about us Corven?" she said slyly.
"We're greedy and possessive and may take what we want without asking."
She looked at him for a second and then looked down.
"Thanks. I needed that." she said more seriously.
"And don't worry. I'm sure that whatever happened, your heart was in the right place. I just hope nothing like that has to happen ever again."
She removed her hand from Vikkan's neck and used it to wipe her eyes.
"Ha!" Kara laughed bitterly as she did so.
"Look at the two of us. I guess God really does have a twisted sense of humor."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:22:26 am by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 29, 2018, 03:56:55 am »

"He might have, but I'd rather hope he's not laughing right now. It's a bit too soon to start making jokes, right?" Vikkan commented with a smile.

For a moment it looked like he was going to touch the new black flame on his necklace, but instead he reached for a cloth tissue he kept in his overall's chest pocket and offered it to Kara. "Here. What do you say we stay here just a bit more to recompose ourselves before you have to go outside and be all important? I'm tired and I swear that if you try to leave now I'll try to have you carry me."
>Yes?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #775 on: August 29, 2018, 04:47:57 am »

"Hah. Thanks." Kara said as she accepted the piece of cloth.
"But are you sure? I mean, I've heard that despite their appearance, the Ethral are some of the biggest gossiping busybodies out there." she continued joking as she wiped her face.
"Damn sneaky too. I bet they've already formed countless conspiracies about what diabolical secret agreements we might be making. You sure you want to risk damaging your reputation by staying here with me?"
Kara looked at Vikkan for a moment. She shrugged and immediately regretted it. The drugs Drett had given her had quickly faded which meant every movement was painful. The Corvens' high metabolic rate was both a blessing and a curse when disease and injuries were concerned. It meant she could be up and about much more quickly than a human would but it also meant she would suffer for it.
"I don't think I'll be able to lift you, but I'm pretty sure I could roll you to the exit. Or maybe I could drag you by those handlebars."
She leaned on the wall next to Vikkan and offered the tissue back to him, clearly much more relaxed than when their conversation started. Hanging out with a friend, someone she could be more vulnerable and relaxed with, someone she could be herself with, it was just what she needed. It might not have solved her problems, but it helped give her the strength she needed to deal with them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:51:16 am by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 29, 2018, 11:32:24 am »

"It's not like a few minutes more will make these conspiracies bigger or more numerous, right? And I'd rather you don't pull me by my mustache, I kind of treasure it." Vikkan replied, defensively putting a hand above his lip as if to protect one of his few concessions to vanity.
>Yes?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #777 on: August 29, 2018, 12:07:45 pm »

"Treasure, eh? Then perhaps I need to get my hands on it."
Kara raised her arm and made a grabbing motion, opening and closing hey claws as if she was trying to catch something. She then pointed at somewhere in front of her, filled with mock-determination.
"No treasure is safe from Kara, the greatest treasure hunter the underworld has ever seen!" she added with a pompous tone and laughed.

As her laugh died down, she let her arm fall and turned to look away from Vikkan.
She was silent for a while.

"It ate it, you know. My arm. When I sacrificed it. It didn't just disappear. There was this creature. Like a giant Shluck. And it ate it."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:06:33 pm by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »

Now that was tough. Vikkan couldn't pretend he knew how it felt since his traumatic amputation had, as far as he knew, been caused by nothingness. "I can't say I understand how you feel, since mine was just... Never there. But you did good, and you survived. That's what matters right now."

The bore driver then got closer to Kara and wrapped his arm around her once more, for the second hug in a few minutes. "Diving is dangerous and mysterious. We have only to hope these sacrifices aren't necessary from now on and keep going."
>Yes?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2018, 01:08:07 pm »

Crawling out of a corner, Drett stretches as if he had taken a not-too-comfortable nap after the church saved them. Now, where was... Ah, the patients. As he steps over to the currently visible patient, a tiny Ethral he asks aloud, has anyone seen where Kara and Vikkan have run off to?

Stepping over to Wiellste, he bends down with his doctors bag in hand. How are you feeling now that you have been able to rest? Don't think about his head you are a professional he is alive now.

Are there medically significant resources here in the warehouse? I don't need a specific count, just information that yes or no, there is or isn't enough here to build a supply.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:11:49 pm by Gentlefish »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 231