Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 381045 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Divers gonna Dive.
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2018, 03:48:47 pm »

Wiellste grinds her mandibles together in mild irritation.
"Stop telling me to leave! I'm not going to run away, and I'm not going to drag anyone else into this mess. I know enough to do what you want in the pilot's room, and I know more about the spheres than that abomination. If you'd just trust me I can help you!"
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »

Wiellste grinds her mandibles together in mild irritation.
"Stop telling me to leave! I'm not going to run away, and I'm not going to drag anyone else into this mess. I know enough to do what you want in the pilot's room, and I know more about the spheres than that abomination. If you'd just trust me I can help you!"
Kara was shocked by the Ethral's outburst. This was the second time this had happened to her but it was as surprising as the first.  It gave her pause, making her rethink her behaviour. After a second of just looking at the Ethral with her beak half-open, she spoke softly to her.
"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect you. I trust you, I do. Please, stay, I'd be happy to have you here. I'll ask that you forgive me for not knowing what you are capable of, but in my defense I only met you today. And, I know it's no excuse, but I'm very angry at this abomination and would like to get rid of its problems as soon as possible, before they harm the bore or my friends."
She looked at her for half a second before continuing.
"Thank you for not letting me make a wrong decision. I would be very thankful for any advice you have on how to deal with this problem. Can you please help us?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #827 on: September 02, 2018, 08:25:47 pm »

PAYMENTS AND EQUIPMENT SPLIT
Kara hands out pieces of paper with her decision on payment and equipment split.

The gist of it:
*Take the money if you want. Or don't, if you don't want it. Might give more later. Who knows, I might die in this Moku mess and you'll get my share.
*Can't really enforce the equipment split, but I hope you'll agree with it enough to respect it. Gave everyone what they asked, unless somebody needed it more or it looked like they were hoarding stuff that could be useful to others.

Spoiler: Equipment split (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Payment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:50:13 am by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 03, 2018, 02:22:41 am »

Kara was shocked by the Ethral's outburst. This was the second time this had happened to her but it was as surprising as the first.  It gave her pause, making her rethink her behaviour. After a second of just looking at the Ethral with her beak half-open, she spoke softly to her.
"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect you. I trust you, I do. Please, stay, I'd be happy to have you here. I'll ask that you forgive me for not knowing what you are capable of, but in my defense I only met you today. And, I know it's no excuse, but I'm very angry at this abomination and would like to get rid of its problems as soon as possible, before they harm the bore or my friends."
She looked at her for half a second before continuing.
"Thank you for not letting me make a wrong decision. I would be very thankful for any advice you have on how to deal with this problem. Can you please help us?"

Watching Kara's reaction, Wiellste feels a fuel-rich mixture of catharsis and shame. She brings hand up to adjust her mask, the conductive material having grown surprisingly warm.
"...Aye. Let me compose my thoughts. I still hurt from that last dive. It makes it difficult to maintain my focus."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #829 on: September 03, 2018, 02:48:26 am »

"Thanks."
Kara took a second to think about what the Ethral has said before speaking again.
"Are you OK now? I mean... It looked pretty bad. When Drett removed your mask and I saw all the blood I thought you were dead."
Kara restrained herself from saying 'dead again'. She used her right shoulder to shrug before continuing.
"Then again-"
Kara motioned towards her missing arm with her beak.
"I don't think I should be one to talk, right? Heh." she added, trying to lighten the mood in case she didn't want to talk about it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 03, 2018, 03:11:48 am »

"...I couldn't say. It just hurts all over, but at least I can stand. And if I can stand I can help. I owe at least that to you.
Your arm. Does it hurt?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #831 on: September 03, 2018, 06:15:29 am »

"Yeah. As much as you'd expect from a fresh wound. Drett's drugs didn't last that long. But I've started to get used to the pain, I think. I've found ways to do what I need without it. And hey, as long as I can walk around, might as well help, right?" she echoed her words back at her.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:19:17 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:11 pm »

"What is this? Is it something that could help us with the posses-…" Adam’s brow furrowed as he quickly glanced over the paper slip.

"Wait, really? Now? You really thought that now, in the middle of a diver possession with guts strewn about and a literal portal to another dimension hovering in front of us, was the most opportune moment to bring that up?"

Adam massaged his temples for a second before looking back to the flesh horror unfurling before them.
"How about we solve this pulsating, oozing crisis first before we get into anything else."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 03, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »

"...Yes, this seems an inopportune time, little bird.  Hmm.  You need not bother paying me, I already possess all which I require.  The little artisan next to you is more deserving."  Nyw nods at Wiellste, then returns his gaze to the fleshorror-coated room.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #834 on: September 04, 2018, 06:28:14 am »

Kara made a polite bow and resisted the urge to protest being called 'little bird'.
"That is very noble and selfless of you, Nyw. No less than what I would expect from one of honored dead."
She stood straight to address their concerns about timing.
"Well, we were already in the middle of this before the abomination so rudely interrupted us, so better to wrap this up now so that people who aren't dealing with this mess can get on with their jobs."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #835 on: September 04, 2018, 10:55:21 am »

"I think it's a diving-related incident." Vikkan replied to Garos as he returned with a gun and took position outside the bore. "We'll go in if called but for the moment just stand here and prepare to shoot anything horrible coming out. Damn it, why did Kara stay inside? She's already lost far too much."

Ach Mein Gott, will we ever be rid of these reckless ones? Drett mutters under his breath, shaking his head and asjudting his mask while he hoists his rifle, safety re-enabled.

Do not worry, she is my patient, he says to Vikkan, I will do everything in my power to keep her whole and well. I do wish there was something I could do for her arm, but I have heard of... Complications, when such is attempted on willing sacrifices. He shakes his head again, sighing, I apologize, I tend to ramble under stress.

Rifle up and ready to shoot at anything that isn't a fellow boresman that comes out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #836 on: September 04, 2018, 11:49:42 am »

...Argh. Can't just wait this out. I can't. It wouldn't be right.
Grab a revolver from the loot pile and follow Kara up. I can ask permission once we're all safe.

I'm told that I should knowledge check re: what happens when we shoot Moku in the heart and/or brain, despite not really being there yet.
Also, figure out where that portal leads. Telazch? An artifact realm? Moku's body? Something else? Would it be safe to enter?

Spoiler: Wiellste. o_o' (click to show/hide)
Well then you head in and join the rest of the people Gawking at the extremely naked Moku.  Nothing is more naked than exposed organs after all.

[3]
You're pretty sure that killing Moku will collapse this fragile magical alignment that's keeping the portal open. As per where it leads, its probably not a sphere; if you had to guess its something akin to an Relic vision, albeit one that seems to have a purpose.  Whether or not it would be safe to enter is totally beyond you, no way to know without trying.

Try and wake up to my new flesh hell.

Spoiler: Moku Youkou (click to show/hide)
I'll tell you now that if they don't do something to return you to how you were, you're effectively dead. You may want to get a new character together if you don't wanna wait for their overcautious asses to spend 10 turns poking you with a stick.

Go to the control room and print out a map. Write down the information and finish the transaction.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[11]
You copy the bore's recorded map onto a sheet of vellum and then carefully annotate it with your outright lies. You take the map and the samples back to the jeweler.  You hand both over and he hands back 4, 100 fathom coins.

Once I gather the gist of what’s going on, I’ll take action. Guard the exit to the bore. Don my mail shirt and have both the short sword and the revolver at the ready.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You gear up and get ready for whatever comes next.

Get in the Bore, put the corpse somewhere safe, and stare at whatever Moku’s turned into.
”Woah. What is that? I want one!”
Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)
You're already in the bore and you already saw moku, as covered last turn, so I'll just have you put the body down in a nearby room.

Just remain near the bore with his rifle ready just in case whatever is causing trouble inside comes out.
"Can anyone explain what is going on there? Do we have an intruder?"
You stand guard, prodding small stones with your toe, bored. 

AsHul requests information regarding how to join the Travelers' Guild,
(Edit: he'll also examine the contract carefully and ask for clarification regarding "hazards" and other pertinent information like appearance of the relic, known info concerning the origin of the ruins - what they used to be, who probably used them, etc)
thanks the member for their time,
and then heads to a mechanical brain shop to get information on his brass ball (I assume the Bore manufacturers would be the best starting place for this).
Edit: If he meets Ti's character there and she communicates with him, he'll talk with her.

Apparently joining the traveller's guild is a pretty ritual heavy process; the man drones on about it in exaggerated fashion for a while. What you're able to extract is that it involves finding and obtaining a relic on your own, without their help but with their knowledge (To prevent you from just buying one) and then presenting it to them.

The man clarifies very little, stating only that the hazards are living creatures. He seems to pause when he says living through, as though trying to think of a better way to put it.

You head out to the boreyards and the shops clustered around the bases of the huge construction frames. You find one dedicated to mechanical brains and bring the orb in. You explain to the man that you got it from a dive and that it appears to be some manner of mechanical brain but you're not sure what. You ask if he can figure it out for you.  He says he will, in exchange for 10 fathoms and some time.

Auft takes her time sizing up her options. This was an important decision.

"How do you feel about being just another piece of meat?" she cheerfully asks the group.

Prod possible slaves for reactions.

You get gruff and defiant growls and retorts from everyone save for the two young lovers who remain quiet and look away from you. Bingo.

moar actions, because I'm an impatient moistboi:

1. Thank the Chthonic GOD that I'm not on the bore right now.

2. Sell the crystals on a stick for 15 fathoms.

3. Ask following of occult lady:
"So, A trade of 100 fathoms and an object, and then you choose an object for to give me in return that follows the laws of similarity, have I got that right? Is there a limit to what constitutes such an object, or objects you will not accept? Like, hypotethical example, what if I bring you a corpse? Also, I don't suppose you accept GTA credit in your store?

How terribly rude of me, asking all of these questions without introducing myself.  My name is Clate. I hope you'll forgive the social faux-pas, your shop has my giddy with curiosity."

4. Tell these GTA boreyard salesmen that it's nice and all that GTA credit goes 10% further than regular fathoms, but since our team fund is all regular fathoms that doesn't really do much for me. Try again to get them to give us a discount on our rather sizeable bore upgrades using all of my Shlucky charms (and maybe the persuasion skill?). Make it clear to them that I'm looking for a one-time bulk purchase discount, and not like a contract that gives me a discount in every GTA store or anything.

5. Can I get a price check on crystal babies? Be sure to go to the travellers and inquire there. The babies I'm letting them take a look at for the price check are the rolling dodecahedron, the strandbeest and the weird triangle thing.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
1. Thanked.
2.Sold
3. She waves a hand when asked about limits, languid and disinterested. Asking about GTA credit gets you a smile that makes your skin crawl.  She nods slightly and intones your name in precisely the same way you said it, as though locking it in her memory.

4.They offer a 15% bulk discount...assuming you spend at least 1000 fathoms with them.

5. In order, highest bidders, 90, 85, and 90 again.

Try to find one of the religious members of the group (like AsHul, Adam, etc.) that aren't inside of the bore and cling to them for protection.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
You cling to Adam, since he happens to be around, though he's also very close to the Moku room so...probably comes out about even in terms of comforting vs terrifying.

"I think it's a diving-related incident." Vikkan replied to Garos as he returned with a gun and took position outside the bore. "We'll go in if called but for the moment just stand here and prepare to shoot anything horrible coming out. Damn it, why did Kara stay inside? She's already lost far too much."

Get a gun, wait a safe distance outside the bore and overwatch against any possessed abominations or monsters.
You walk out and join Garos, kicking rocks. Oh and guarding. That too.

I meet up with Clate or AsHul at the GTA offices, looking to join a bore crew

Her first memories were of ice, and light, then of loud thunder, and flood.

Cara was found underground, underwater, entombed in frigid ice, and armored in ancient metal. She was found and named by fishermen, working near and for the town of Anvil. She somehow found that she knew a lot of things, but did not place where they were tied to, or who they were tied to; she was familiar with the stone, the people, and her tomb. They were all durable, in differing degrees, and she felt they were all important, even if she did not think the word at the time.

As the days passed, she noticed that she was different from the people around her. She did not need much sleep at all, or food, or many other needs that others were free to partake in. She also saw that she could engage in the work they did, and some, in the work they had difficulty doing, after learning their ideas and language; she was curious to do more.

Cara was given gifts by the fishermen, and she felt grateful. She knew what gratefulness was, even if the time she spent with the fishermen was in total silence; listening to their voices, stories, and questions was something to appreciate. She could feel sound, touch color, and sense the weight of the stone around her. Cara was given a name--from the talisman on her helmet when read back to her. She could somehow understand many things as if she had just awoken from a deep sleep. And so she shared her story--or what she knew--to them; she was told she had a warm, calming voice.

The town of Anvil was the nearest location. It was a major hub of people like the ones she met. People were curious and amazing creatures, and she felt like she wanted to belong with more of them.

Spoiler: Sheet (Honored Dead) (click to show/hide)
AsHul said to talk with you, so talk with you he will.

Ach Mein Gott, will we ever be rid of these reckless ones? Drett mutters under his breath, shaking his head and asjudting his mask while he hoists his rifle, safety re-enabled.

Do not worry, she is my patient, he says to Vikkan, I will do everything in my power to keep her whole and well. I do wish there was something I could do for her arm, but I have heard of... Complications, when such is attempted on willing sacrifices. He shakes his head again, sighing, I apologize, I tend to ramble under stress.

Rifle up and ready to shoot at anything that isn't a fellow boresman that comes out.

You, Garos, and Vikkan start kicking rocks in a triangle. You begin to talk about starting some sort of rock kicking league, maybe getting some rules set up.  This is all going so fast!

"Kara," Nyw says, slowly and calmly "Please shoot the heart.  Now.  If you do not, I will destroy it myself.  The lizard will not recover from this.  It may harm us.  It cannot enjoy this hellish state.  It must be ended, for our sakes and its own."

Ask Kara to shoot the heart.  If she doesn't try, and the thing doesn't seem to be ended by some other effect, wonder whether throwing a melee weapon rolls on strength.  If so, throw the cleaver at the heart.  If not, touch left hand to the floor, and if unharmed, march in and slash the heart manually, skirting around the edge of the reality tear.

Edit: *sigh*.  Wait for the diver to know roll up what the proper course of action is, and only do the above if he agrees.  I suppose Nyw might as well roll Knowledge too, he does have a 30% chance of success.  Bodyblock the door in case something dangerous does happen, but don't enter unless it's necessary.

"There is a mind in there, maintaining the dive.  End the diver, end the dive.  Unless," Nyw turns to look at Adam "The Chthonic knows something more?"

"I must admit he has really outdone himself in the possession department, it seems unlikely we'll be able to rescue him from this state. But please, at least grant me but a moment to reflect on his condition before you open fire, lest we forego a chance at saving him... or even end up making things worse somehow."

Reflect on the... thing that I'm seeing here. Is there still a chance to save the diver? Would destroying the organs spread out here (eg shooting the heart or something) stop this possession and close the portal? Or could that make things worse? Does it seem like there's a time limit of some sorts here?

Added my lvl-up to sheet (thanks, and 'thanks', Ozarck  :P). Also added those things from the lootpile to my sheet and edited the wiki.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
First of all, hand out payments in case I don't make it. Don't want to lose 2000 fathoms in Moku's butt.
Spoiler: Payments (click to show/hide)
The rest will be used by Clate/Vikkan for bore upgrades.

That done, join in on Adam's reflecting. In addition to his questions, ask myself if it would be better to burn Moku or shoot her or use some other method of removing her from the bore.

Can I see the artifact fragment Moku used to dive anywhere? If yes, could I shoot it from where I am?

Take aim and be ready to shoot the heart. If Nyw still believes we should shoot it now, then do so.
Better for me to shoot it then for him to stab it from up close.

Don't enter the room or touch anything coming out of the room under any circumstances.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Follow Kara into the Bore. If she shoots at any abominations, we shoot at what she's shooting at.

Spoiler: Aigresaur (click to show/hide)
[18][10][13]
Adam and Kara and Nyw all think carefully about the situation and after a few minutes come to the conclusion that while it might be possible to save Moku using some counter-diving, the chances of another horrible mistake or some sort of magnifying effect are too high. The artifact shard used to dive can't be seen anywhere and everyone is pretty positive that shooting the heart or the brain would be a good way to end the dive or whatever this is. On Nyw's prompting, Kara takes a carefully aimed shot at Moku's heart while Aigresaur fires a cloud of pellets into Moku's brain. Both shots strike true and the portal flickers for a moment before winking out and the viscera coating the walls and ceiling falls to the ground, siding off the wall with a slick and sticky noise. Blood pools evenly out across the room.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 04, 2018, 12:05:34 pm »

The Abomination peers over the shoulder of the Shluck, reading teh note that the Dead One has presented.

Cara shows over a paper (that was given to them back before she entered the city).

Quote from: That paper
Greetings,

I am looking for labor and employment. I plan to serve and aid you/your company; I am still learning the language. Call me Cara.

I am skilled in polearms and armor, geology and wilderness survival. Others tell me I can quickly grasp languages; others also say I am very hale.

I wish to do my best and work with others who will improve my skills in turn. I believe my goal is to help the Tenebrous Church; to find what is on the surface.

I require no upkeep; merely good company. I will know if I am exploited; I wish to help.

Thank you for reading this.

"Noble Shluck. I must object to inviting this one along. She is a Heretic. A Blasphemer. She seeks the Surface, like a madman. A fool, and a dangerous one at that. One who seeks the Surface invites greater calamities upon us than any we have encountered yet."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:09:37 pm by Ozarck »

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 04, 2018, 12:24:08 pm »

pay respects to scary abomination lady and help with cleanup.
Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 04, 2018, 12:35:46 pm »

I must say, this has helped my mood considering we might all die, Drett says while he passes a rock to Garos, Though we may be better served with a larger and softer object to kick around. Mental health is just as important as physical.

I will have to visit town for medical supplies if each trip is to be as harrowing as the last, he mentions to Vikkan, But we need to take another look at your hand, and I will clean up Kara's shoulder before then. Would you be interested in a prosthetic? If so, what would you require of it?

Looks like it's over. Check up on Kara's sacrificed arm wound.

Get my split o the lewt if we break coinage.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:03:05 am by Gentlefish »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 231