Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 386286 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1650 on: February 15, 2019, 08:07:54 pm »

Let's do what we need to load this cargo onto the bore. I suppose that we brought the bore to the warehouse, and will push boxes into the freight elevator? I'm afraid that I'm not very helpful with pushing heavy things around, so enlist some help from everyone else.
Be careful around this cargo. I'll examine them once we're on board but until then they're something of an unknown quantity.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
We will assume that the Birdies help get the boxes loaded into the bore. After they're out you make a complete examination of the boxes. To your surprise they're not simply a metal box with a lid or something, they're actually welded shut. They're a completely sealed cube with, from what you can tell by knocking, pretty damn thick walls. Hmmm.

Hmmm, think about my mother and see if that triggers anything.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You think of your mother. Nothing happens.

"Excellent! I look forward to our next meeting. Farewell." Kara said with a small bow, before she turned around and walked away.
She knew things weren't 100% OK, but she couldn't help feeling proud about what she had done.
I should get a cape. That way it can swing majestically behind me when I turn around. Hmm... But that might get in the way of my tail. A cape that splits in the back perhaps? Or maybe- Gah, Kara, what are you thinking, this is not the time for that!

If things have been loaded up, then it's time to move a bit further away from the warehouse and decide what we're going to do.

Do I know what the law of Goldshore say about selling corpses? (Or at least, what did it say last time I was here, since the gangsters might have bought a new law for all I know.)
What does the law say about attacking people who sell corpses and are probably gangsters for that matter?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Kara quickly thanks the birds and then gets semi-comatose Vikkan to move the bore a bit further away. And then a bit further still till they're on the edge of town.

If memory serves about the laws around here...they wouldn't care about selling bodies. Well, not unless someone paid them to. If one of those bodies is the child of someone rich, they might care for personal financial reasons...but otherwise it wouldn't matter. Same with attacking people. They might have personal security engaged or some sort of law plan bought but otherwise it probably wouldn't matter. Written off as a personal issue and various fines paid.

Aah, an 18 and a 20, glorious. What's next, the rocks start falling?  :P

You know what, screw it, let's do this the old fashioned manual way: with Math.

Please give me the exact dimensions of each box and how many of each type there are. Then also please give me the cost of decent rope in this town.

(Cost is 1 fathom per fuel if I remember right. I'll assume you guys kept track of the fuel expended and how much you need to get back to full)
Very quick check seems to indicate we used about 90-ish fuel. Ok if we refuel for that amount?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
(consider it fueled as long as the money gets take out from somewhere.)
They seem to be about a meter and a half on all sides. There are 16 of them. The cost of rope you find locally is 100 feet for 4 fathoms.

Carefully set the books down, and ready the guardian hatchet.  Say nothing, just be prepared to defend the others if the guardian attacks.

...Also, if it doesn't attack, but Ashul starts diving, knock him out with a punch before he can actually do anything.

Nyw sets the books down and readies the hatchet, carefully dividing his attention between the danger outside -the lizard of the unknown- and the danger inside -the Ashul of the unknown.

"Is that the last guardian?"

Be ready to shoot the lizard if it attacks.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Alex doesn't point is weapon at the creature just yet. A gun pointed at your face is not generally a good way to start a formal greeting, after all. But he is ready to fire at any moment.

"Another weird creature. Fascinating, but troublesome at the same time."

Observe the creature. Do I know of a species like this, either something with the shape/feautures it has right now or perhaps something that has the inky black and green glowing eyes as its defining features?

Regardless, be ready to jump out of the way/behind Nyw should it decide to attack us.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
[13]
You've never seen any creature like this before...however you do recognize it to be similar to the statue of the final guardian. But not the same. Maybe a minion?

"Is that the last guardian?"
"I d not know. It bears some of the hallmarks of being a guardian. And yet, it differs from most of the guardians we have seen so far in a couple key ways. If it is indeed a guardian, perhaps it need not be physically battled, as was the case with the funeral room. After all, it does not stand in our intended path. Perhaps simply moving on would be a solution.

If we DO need to battle it, I suggest light or fire. Or possibly water or something of the sort, to disperse it. It looks to be the kind of thing that might flow around a solid object rather than take damage from a weapon."

Slowly approach the lived in room, observing the inky creature as I do. Does it react to motion in that direction?
Recall the idols and the other guardians. Does this thing look like the last idol, or have telltales of being like the other guardians?
Finally, if time and brainpower allows, consider the creature's odd breathing. What does this signify? Fear, tiredness, overheating, some form of breath attack, sexual arousal?

The creature watches your movements but doesn't move other than to turn its head to track you.  It seems not to react in any way beyond that.

The thing does look like the last idol but not identical to it. The last idol had the same almost fat boomerang shaped head but not this thing's stubby, rather chubby body. It looked more like some sort of legged serpent coiled around and round a pillar.  This thing might be its spawn.
[4]
Judging by the fact that its breathing is getting no faster or slower, you'd be willing to bet it just has a very fast respiration cycle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1651 on: February 15, 2019, 08:43:33 pm »

"Um, Kara? I've run into a prob- well, not r-really a problem, it's just- uh, might be a problem."

Wiellste adjusts her mask slightly.

"...That is, um, it looks like the crates containing our cargo are welded shut, sealed. I was going to take a look myself to try to find out what we're dealing with here, but. Um, it's just a concerning. Without opening them up, the only way we can tell what's inside is Adam's sight, and that might not we wholly accurate. We could unseal the crates, of course, but the fact that they're sealed might suggest that doing so would be dangerous.
What do you think?"

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1652 on: February 16, 2019, 06:01:06 am »

"I don't think unsealing them is a good idea. Maybe it's just a way to prevent them from being tampered with or to keep law enforcement from finding them, but I find it far more likely they did it to keep themselves safe. If those bodies are undead of some kind... I wouldn't want to risk you getting hurt, not unless we exhaust all other options and come up with a plan that minimizes the risk we have to take."

"My suggestion is to have Adam take a closer look at them, now that we're safe and he can take his time. We'll put them in an empty room and keep them under watch. I think that should be good enough for now. After all, these Corven must have had them in that warehouse for at least a day or two with nothing happening. Assuming there's no environmental trigger or timer on them they should be able to last a few days more."

"If you and the rest of the crew feel uncomfortable with this, we could always just turn the boxes over to the authorities or dump them in a magma pool. But that means us not getting paid plus a hit to our reputation. That merchant might start spreading rumors about us being unreliable. I say we treat this like any other job and do our best to finish it."

@Radio Controlled: "Sorry for saying those things to you and about humans in general, but I wanted them to keep thinking that I'm in charge, that I'm fine with the situation and that you didn't matter. Didn't want them thinking we were a threat. I'm sure you realize that, right?"

"So, what exactly did you see? And what do you think we should do about this?"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:39:21 am by Parisbre56 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 16, 2019, 08:52:28 am »

"This creature appears to be a lesser, perhaps immature version of the last guardian, if my memory of the last idol [description from turn goes here] is correct.

Now, the question is this: would returning this creature to its larger relative be a good thing, or a terrible thing?

Perhaps it would be terrible, increasing the guardian's power, or sending the guardian into a rage.
On the other hand, if the guardian feels some sense of filial affection and a sense of gratitude or honor, perhaps returning the thing would fulfill some condition in the trial here, granting us some kind of win."

Hotfire90

« Reply #1654 on: February 16, 2019, 04:15:26 pm »

"Perhaps it will lead us the last guardian if we follow it."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:22:50 pm by Hotfire90 »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 16, 2019, 05:37:49 pm »

Get back on the Bore ASAP
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 17, 2019, 08:13:11 am »

"Perhaps it will lead us the last guardian if we follow it."
"Perhaps. Hmm. Some kind of legged snake encircling a pillar. Perhaps the pillar is a representation of the open shaft we've been climbing, and the guardian is, in fact, the entwined spaces wrapped around it.

Do any of you volunteer to approach the small thing?"

Hotfire90

« Reply #1657 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:34 am »

"Allright, just be ready if anything happens."

Calmly approach the creature in a non-threatening manner.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 17, 2019, 07:05:53 pm »

Allow Alex to go forward, he's prooobably less intimidsting than a giant man in plate armor.  But do be ready to charge forward and yank him back if bad things start happening, and to attack the lizard thing.  Preferably both simultaneously, but getting Alex out of danger would take priority.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1659 on: February 17, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »

"Still, I worry that if that cargo gets set off for whatever reason, it'll be something we're not equipped to deal with."
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:02 am »

Ready to assist Nyw in pacification efforts. Mostly, AsHul will attempt to tackle the creature if it attacks physically. If it responds in a different way, AsHul will either remain where he is or make a dash for the lived in room that's next in the chain, depending on how obviously dangerous the act is. (i.e, if it starts screeching, he might stay where he is. if it shots tendrils of pitch black out into the room, accompanied by the screams of the damned, he'll dive for it))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 18, 2019, 03:45:19 pm »

(consider it fueled as long as the money gets take out from somewhere.)
Done.

They seem to be about a meter and a half on all sides. There are 16 of them. The cost of rope you find locally is 100 feet for 4 fathoms.
Does it seem like tying rope around the boxes (all around so a 'cross' of rope is on every side) would add much in terms of containing whatever is inside, or do the boxes seem sturdy enough that some extra rope wouldn't help much? And can I see any sort of release or opening mechanism?

Also, is this city connected to the landline communications network? If yes, could we contact the guy who hired us?

@Radio Controlled: "Sorry for saying those things to you and about humans in general, but I wanted them to keep thinking that I'm in charge, that I'm fine with the situation and that you didn't matter. Didn't want them thinking we were a threat. I'm sure you realize that, right?"
"So, what exactly did you see? And what do you think we should do about this?"

"No offense taken, given the circumstances. But don't do that again. Right now I think we should first ensure they won't be a threat to us and that we aren't getting ourselves into massive trouble ferrying these, which means finding out what the hell exactly we're dealing with. These corpses have diving upon them, but I can't say what exactly. We could open one up and take a closer look, but that's not something to be done lightly, I'm sure you all understand.

I'm also gonna look into contacting the man with whom I negotiated this deal, see if that teaches us anything. And maybe see if we can up the pay he owes us, since this isn't what we signed up for at all."

"Oh, and by the way,"
he added, turning to Vikkan, "Got someone to refuel the bore for us. Is she good to go otherwise? If we need any maintenance done now would be a good time, before we set off again."

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:50:44 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1662 on: February 18, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »

@Radio Controlled: "Well, the Messenger cut straight through the tunnel, so unless they've already reopened the path I don't think we can contact Anvil."
"Did you see any diving effects on the boxes or only on the corpses?"

@Egan_BW: "Do you think you could make some traps for the room we store the corpses in? Something like a more deadly version of the slave trap, in case those things are strong enough to get out of their boxes? Do you think it would be worth it to combine a bomb collars with some TNT as a last resort?"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:21:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 18, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »

Observe for now, staying behind Nyw. Be ready to dive for cover should the thing come charging my way.

((I'd add a clause to shoot if it attacks, but we're all a bit bunched up so I don't think that's the best idea right now.))

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1664 on: February 18, 2019, 05:34:08 pm »

Do I know of any monsters or other bad things that are attracted to necromancy or diving? Or could the corpses cause effects related to their sphere to manifest, similar to how objects retrieved from dives do? I mean, could it be that we could face danger not from the corpses themselves but whatever follows them?

Then it's time to go shopping! First up, how much for some good quality, beautiful yet functional clothes, something fit for a Corven mercenary?

Second, is there something that could help protect from diving effects? I mean something that really works, not useless charms and trinkets they sell to trick gullible superstitious people.

Third, if I wanted something like a slave trap but more deadly, would it still be 10 fathoms?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:40:09 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 231