Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 381034 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: The Last Fire
« Reply #2265 on: September 18, 2019, 12:54:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
6 turns since consuming Silent Night
who do we tell about the metal creature that wants to destroy the spheres?
Try to find a historian that knows about humanity’s past and tell them about the encounter with the metal warrior that says it’s working for Humanity, but actually wants to destroy the Spheres
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:49:32 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #2266 on: September 18, 2019, 12:57:51 pm »

Go out and acquire the translators for the ancient human language. Also take a look at the sample texts while I'm there.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2267 on: September 18, 2019, 05:39:18 pm »

"I've got enough chemicals to make a gigantic explosive. With the help of our Ethral friends, I am certain we could craft one nasty explosive."
"I can get started on it right away. Do you already have something in mind regarding how powerful it should be?"
"You saw that thing. I say make it as big as you can. The only issue is that we need to be able to escape the blast so that we don't end up killing ourselves. I'm not sure what's the best way to do that. Maybe we could use some sort of launcher so that we can keep our distance. Or maybe we can construct a remote detonator using the bomb collars and the remotes."

Go try to sell the notes I have on Antediluvians construction techniques and architecture to the local Ethral outpost. See if they'd be interested in buying any of the white or fleshy cist rocks as well.

Also let them know of our encounter with the saint and the warrior and the information AsHul was able to find.
Have they ever heard about such a thing as the warrior before?
Do they have any opinion on if it was telling the truth or if it was just some deceitful supernatural being promising knowledge to trick us?
And most importantly, do they have any suggestion about how to achieve the 'diving' part of the massive damage required to kill it?

Finally, ask them if they would be able to contain and analyze the piece of warrior-flame I have with me or if it would be better to let the central archive handle it.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2268 on: September 19, 2019, 07:04:26 am »

"Noble Corven, you saw the effects the wall of rock had on the creature. I suspect that amount of force was sufficient for it's earthly body. It seems that the being required time to regenerate once we broke it's vessel. Unfortunately, our fellow Diver's ill-fated attempts allowed it another, faster method of rebuilding. I do not think we needto make an explosion quite as big as all that, if we are able to coordinate the physical and ethereal attacks."

If Deepwalker Leon is available, meet with him. I believe someone in our group made an appointment, so if that time has not passed, AsHul would like to do that. Otherwise, accompany Kara on her reporting mission, especially if she reports to the Church. AsHul hasn't said anything IC about the enemy expect what I've explicitly written - that knowledge might be worth something, and might be dangerous to know - he wants to be cautious about how and to whom he shares that.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2269 on: September 20, 2019, 10:35:31 pm »

[MOTH INTENSIFIES]

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: September 22, 2019, 09:59:35 am »

To Dabwalker Deepwalker Leon we go!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2271 on: September 22, 2019, 12:48:46 pm »

6 turns since consuming Silent Night
who do we tell about the metal creature that wants to destroy the spheres?
Try to find a historian that knows about humanity’s past and tell them about the encounter with the metal warrior that says it’s working for Humanity, but actually wants to destroy the Spheres
(don't worry about the silent night anymore. Assume its effects have ended and you got over the results in the time between then and now. )

[15]
You wander until you find of one of the many records halls in the city and immediately bluster your way through to find a historian. Once there you start unloading your story with great fervor and speed, skipping around in a way that is probably difficult to follow. The end result is the historian calling for security and you being dragged into a small, windowless room where a priest begins to ask you questions about your heretical pronouncements.  They seem to have misunderstood.

Go out and acquire the translators for the ancient human language. Also take a look at the sample texts while I'm there.
[15]

You search specifically for translators that would handle ancient human languages but cannot find a merchant who does such things.  One man you talk to does recommend that you go ask at one of the halls of records or a library, but cautions you that they might "lose" your books depending on their contents. When you ask for an alternative he says that the Ethral library might have some books on ancient languages which could be used to translate it, or the Moths themselves might be willing to do it, but might want the original book in return and just give you a copy of the contents.

"I've got enough chemicals to make a gigantic explosive. With the help of our Ethral friends, I am certain we could craft one nasty explosive."
"I can get started on it right away. Do you already have something in mind regarding how powerful it should be?"
"You saw that thing. I say make it as big as you can. The only issue is that we need to be able to escape the blast so that we don't end up killing ourselves. I'm not sure what's the best way to do that. Maybe we could use some sort of launcher so that we can keep our distance. Or maybe we can construct a remote detonator using the bomb collars and the remotes."

Go try to sell the notes I have on Antediluvians construction techniques and architecture to the local Ethral outpost. See if they'd be interested in buying any of the white or fleshy cist rocks as well.

Also let them know of our encounter with the saint and the warrior and the information AsHul was able to find.
Have they ever heard about such a thing as the warrior before?
Do they have any opinion on if it was telling the truth or if it was just some deceitful supernatural being promising knowledge to trick us?
And most importantly, do they have any suggestion about how to achieve the 'diving' part of the massive damage required to kill it?

Finally, ask them if they would be able to contain and analyze the piece of warrior-flame I have with me or if it would be better to let the central archive handle it.

[1]
While they do not seem initially interested (apparently they already have samples of both rocks and notes about construction techniques) you manage to convince them, particularly when you talk about the effects of the gold pin and the insight it gave you into the nature of the paths. They offer you 500 fathoms for the three or equal services or information.

You let them know about your encounter and the information Ashul "found" and offer a detailed account in exchange for anything else they have on similar creatures. They agree, but state that such information of a "Heretical" nature (They use air quotes and keep looking around nervously) is held offsite. You would have to go look at it elsewhere.

They politely decline wanting to make any pronouncements on truth or falsehood of something that contradicts the scriptures.

They say that there are multiple ways. Easiest is to create an effect tied to an object and then reinforce that effect many many many times. When needed, activate object to activate effect. Easiest but also likely single use and takes many people or a long time to set up. Alternative, living saint. By their estimation, living saints are effectively "Successful" abominations. They have traded humanity and often sanity for a very powerful connection to a single sphere while losing all connection to the others. A properly connected living saint should be able to wield enough power to do what is needed.

They, in a rather excited and terrified way, Tell you go get that fire the hell out of here. They tell you that you should dispose of it and then proceed to give you some oddly specific instructions as to where to do it, including coordinates. They seem to be trying to discretely tell you to go somewhere.

"Noble Corven, you saw the effects the wall of rock had on the creature. I suspect that amount of force was sufficient for it's earthly body. It seems that the being required time to regenerate once we broke it's vessel. Unfortunately, our fellow Diver's ill-fated attempts allowed it another, faster method of rebuilding. I do not think we needto make an explosion quite as big as all that, if we are able to coordinate the physical and ethereal attacks."

If Deepwalker Leon is available, meet with him. I believe someone in our group made an appointment, so if that time has not passed, AsHul would like to do that. Otherwise, accompany Kara on her reporting mission, especially if she reports to the Church. AsHul hasn't said anything IC about the enemy expect what I've explicitly written - that knowledge might be worth something, and might be dangerous to know - he wants to be cautious about how and to whom he shares that.

To Dabwalker Deepwalker Leon we go!
Deepwalker Leon is luckily still in. His office is at first glance a rather small one, heavily littered with various samples and souvenirs of his time exploring. Shelves are loaded mostly with these and a few scattered books or even tightly bound scrolls. The floor itself is covered in small piles of stacked books, spread open maps, and various tools.  His desk however, is clean, and the wall sized window in the back has a great view out over the magma and steam clouds. Leon himself is a man of maybe 40, with close cropped sand colored hair, carefully maintained mustache and beard, and bright, piercing eyes that seem to take your measure within a few moments.  You present your paperwork and he nods silently a few times before handing it back.

"So. What do you want?" He says, bluntly.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: September 22, 2019, 01:15:21 pm »

tell the priests the following
”you misunderstand me. I asked because the creature claims to be following its ancestry. I don’t know enough about human history to know what it wants or how to stop it. Another Diver found out it might want to destroy the Spheres”
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:50:36 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #2273 on: September 22, 2019, 04:40:44 pm »

To the library. Check there whether they have any books with which I could translate my ancient human books, and whether they'd be willing to part with them or allow me to make a copy.
Also do not tell anyone that I possess ancient human books, there's no need to attract unnecessary attention and possibly get my books confiscated.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2274 on: September 22, 2019, 05:20:17 pm »

Discuss the creature in the Cist and AsHul's own ambitions with Deepwalker Leon. Note that I am withholding some information from my initial report, to get a sense of how Leoon will respond to what we are presenting.

"Power. A greater position in the Church, with access to the tools and methods of the Church to further my own skills and goals, and those of the Church. Ultimately, to find God.

Our group has recently encountered a Saint - A True Saint. Perhaps Algeron the Luminous. A desiccated corpse of a man, surrounded by a halo of swords, in a hall full of swords on display, within the newly created Messenger Path."

AsHul points up at the sword above his own head.

"We were given a task by the Saint: to go to a Cist, a containment room sealed by the Saint, and to do battle with that which was within: a creature of the Old Days, one created by Man as he once was. A soldier designed to fight God. Or first encounter was illuminating, and we held our own in combat for a time, yet were unable to destroy the being outright. We managed to reseal it into the Cist, for now. I wish to learn more about these beings, that I might return and put an end to it."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2275 on: September 23, 2019, 11:30:04 am »

"Hey Clate. Wanna go to a secret meeting with the Ethral for Knowledge and Profit?"

Accept the payment and use it to buy a Bore Piercer and 10 rounds for a total cost of 130. Mount it on the Crawler. Leave the rest of the money in the bore.

With the hardcore Cthonics busy negotiating with their superiors, this is the perfect opportunity to go have a secret meeting with the Ethral travel to the location where the Ethral said the fire should be disposed.

If I can't make it there on foot, see if our crawler can make its way to that location.

If Clate comes along, explain to him along the way about what happened as well as what I know about the Great Weapon of the Crystal Race. Ask him to keep quiet about this, since the Cthonics or the Ethral might want to claim it for themselves.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:06:28 pm by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: September 23, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »

Clate turns towards Kara to speak, like a living etch-a-sketch

Yes. I will gladly accompany you. Perhaps I can trade them for some things as well.

Accompany Kara.
Also, if any of these Ethral are interested in trading still, ask if they've got any interest in the kidnapper bell, 'Beautiful Temper', 'a hollow echo', the chunk of red stone I brought with me from our fight, and/or those material-replicating octahedrons. Don't let them know how many octahedrons I'm carrying though, just in case. If they are, see what I can get in the way of info about the crystal race, specifically locations of ruins (that we don't yet) or the workings of the crystal toothpicks, or just straight cash.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 23, 2019, 09:28:34 pm »

Try to use the Web of Lies again
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 25, 2019, 03:25:49 pm »

Tell him about the encounter with the Messenger. Just about how it looked and that I touched it, for now, don't yet mention what I saw or my new powers (to get an idea of how he's responding to all this.)

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2279 on: September 26, 2019, 01:26:20 pm »

tell the priests the following
”you misunderstand me. I asked because the creature claims to be following its ancestry. I don’t know enough about human history to know what it wants or how to stop it. Another Diver found out it might want to destroy the Spheres”
[6]
You manage to, more slowly and carefully, explain what happened and what you were talking about. This however results in them beginning to demand information about where you found this and the people you were with. Specifically they want to know about Ashul and Adam.

To the library. Check there whether they have any books with which I could translate my ancient human books, and whether they'd be willing to part with them or allow me to make a copy.
Also do not tell anyone that I possess ancient human books, there's no need to attract unnecessary attention and possibly get my books confiscated.

You ask about books containing information on ancient human languages and the possibility of buying them. They will not allow you to buy them, but they do say that you may copy any information you desire from the books at a rate of 1 fathom per page copied. They present you with several books and you begin searching through them, looking for what amount to guides on translation.  You find that actually translating the text into the abyssal alphabet used by the Church is easy enough; its essentially a 1 to 1 exchange, but the words themselves vary. With one copied page you could, with time, translate the books into a usable alphabet. The difficulty would be then comprehending the words themselves. Further searching reveals that there is what amounts to a dictionary of ancient words. You couldn't copy the whole thing but...maybe if you had like 10 or 20 pages you could copy out the most common words and work from there? Alternatively you could sit here for days and translate manually.

Try to use the Web of Lies again
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)

How? By touching it? By placing it on someone else? By yelling at it? Is basically a mass of spider web, it doesn't have a start button. If you just tell me to "Try it" I'm gonna assume you wanna "Try it" like Maurice, but sticking your dick in it.

Don't make me make a pun on "Self Harm".

"Hey Clate. Wanna go to a secret meeting with the Ethral for Knowledge and Profit?"

Accept the payment and use it to buy a Bore Piercer and 10 rounds for a total cost of 130. Mount it on the Crawler. Leave the rest of the money in the bore.

With the hardcore Cthonics busy negotiating with their superiors, this is the perfect opportunity to go have a secret meeting with the Ethral travel to the location where the Ethral said the fire should be disposed.

If I can't make it there on foot, see if our crawler can make its way to that location.

If Clate comes along, explain to him along the way about what happened as well as what I know about the Great Weapon of the Crystal Race. Ask him to keep quiet about this, since the Cthonics or the Ethral might want to claim it for themselves.

Clate turns towards Kara to speak, like a living etch-a-sketch

Yes. I will gladly accompany you. Perhaps I can trade them for some things as well.

Accompany Kara.
Also, if any of these Ethral are interested in trading still, ask if they've got any interest in the kidnapper bell, 'Beautiful Temper', 'a hollow echo', the chunk of red stone I brought with me from our fight, and/or those material-replicating octahedrons. Don't let them know how many octahedrons I'm carrying though, just in case. If they are, see what I can get in the way of info about the crystal race, specifically locations of ruins (that we don't yet) or the workings of the crystal toothpicks, or just straight cash.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Done.

You check the coordinates on the bore's map and find out a few things. First, you ain't walking there.  Second, these coordinates line up with other coordinates.  They're beneath Chamel, and a bit to the west.  It overlaps the location of a crystal civilization structure. A secret archive perhaps? There's no path there noted on the map, but there might be a secret one. Its an Ethral city so it might be worth talking to the director of the archive there; maybe they can get you in. Or you could tunnel in with the bore but that might...result in disagreements.

As per Clate, they would be willing to buy any of those relics, the stone, and or the octahedrons. How much would vary depending on what you're selling and if you just want cash or information.

Also they want to buy you, because you are a living specimen of the crystal race. They offer very good money to keep you for a set period of time and run tests on you.

Discuss the creature in the Cist and AsHul's own ambitions with Deepwalker Leon. Note that I am withholding some information from my initial report, to get a sense of how Leoon will respond to what we are presenting.

"Power. A greater position in the Church, with access to the tools and methods of the Church to further my own skills and goals, and those of the Church. Ultimately, to find God.

Our group has recently encountered a Saint - A True Saint. Perhaps Algeron the Luminous. A desiccated corpse of a man, surrounded by a halo of swords, in a hall full of swords on display, within the newly created Messenger Path."

AsHul points up at the sword above his own head.

"We were given a task by the Saint: to go to a Cist, a containment room sealed by the Saint, and to do battle with that which was within: a creature of the Old Days, one created by Man as he once was. A soldier designed to fight God. Or first encounter was illuminating, and we held our own in combat for a time, yet were unable to destroy the being outright. We managed to reseal it into the Cist, for now. I wish to learn more about these beings, that I might return and put an end to it."

Tell him about the encounter with the Messenger. Just about how it looked and that I touched it, for now, don't yet mention what I saw or my new powers (to get an idea of how he's responding to all this.)

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[17][10]
Adam starts talking first, telling Leon about his encounter with a messenger, or rather his encounter with the Word of God that foretold the messenger. He gets as far as saying that you touched it with a black flame before physically touching it before Leon quietly gets up, closes the door (When it locks some sort of diving effect activates and seems to completely silence any outside noises), and then asks very quietly what Adam saw.  Ashul tries to cut in and explain that his story and encounter are even more unbelievable but Leon essentially tells him, politely, to be quiet for the moment.

"Please let me handle one potentially catastrophic situation at a time." he says, still staring hard at Adam.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 231