Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 380948 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #2520 on: December 22, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »

I'm gonna just list a bunch of question/info I want to know, in the hopes of having most of it answered by the overmind. To speed things up, so the other players don't have to wait too long on my slow ass.

Spoiler: questions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2521 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:46 am »

Help Clate if possible/needed. If not, go up and check out any remaining barrels (look with wizard eyes first to ensure no deadly surprises await). If also not possible/needed, then could I ask for an update on the last strata of the black book? Any progress?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[3]
The barrels are open, but their contents are still worth looking into. You give them a scan with your wizard eyes and find out a few things. First, that cloak Kara is wearing has some magic in it. Specifically its woven into the mirrors as your eyes see them as that familiar lack of existence. If you had to guess, judging by the nature of the thing, it has a powerful reflective magic on it, a mirror shield of sorts.

The net is mundane but those teardrop crystals are all interconnected as though by thin, invisible wires. Their purpose is interwoven between them, though you're still not sure what that purpose could be.

The spiky thing on a stick though, you're damn sure thats a gun. There are eddies of energy swirling around it like slow motion whirlpools.

The big wall tablet is equally obtuse in its meaning to you, but you notice regular patterns in the structure of the crystal. Maybe its information that only one of the crystal race can decipher?

"Nah, I don't think it ever had a will of its own, just a set of instructions for it to follow. After we left the ruins it just sat still doing nothing, until Clate gave me the control rod."

I'm not touching the fishhook net thing, that thing looks dangerous. But the colorful gems might look nice in my museum and they seem like they could fetch a good price, if nothing else. Or maybe I could make them into a crown or something... Anyway, try to scoop the gems up and put them in my purse or some other suitable container.

Anyway, if nothing horrible happens, try to find anything of archeological value like statues or tablets or something that looks like it might have been used in their day to day life.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
The Gems do not horribly maim you when you pick them up and deposit them in your bag. Lovely.

[16] You search this room, then head downstairs and search the golem room and sadly find nothing (at least nothing that can be successfully freed) of historical interest. Perhaps in another building? [8] You wander out onto the street and poke around until you find an open door leading into a room that is not so overgrown. Inside you push through ruined rooms until you find a wall of what appear to be life sized statues lined up in a series of square alcoves. They are statues of different species, different intelligent races by the look of it. Some are known to you- antediluvians, fungal men, Moles- but many appear to be missing or alien to you. There are birdmen, but they still have full wings and no arms; little more than giant birds. There are what appear to be churning amalgamations of fluids in a humanoid shape, Lizardmen in a bowed, gorilla posture,  a Cluster of slugs,  Giant, long legged crabs bedecked in plate armor, and a stack of huge yet compacted crickets, each vastly different in shape and apparent purpose, arranged like a totem pole.

There are no humans, no ethral, no undead. Hmm.

Right. Thanks, my previous post was meant to be in torques to Kara. I will fix it to make it more clear
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think about Gesh
Gesh the sphere?

[20]

It has a silly name.

Heh. Gesh.

I'm gonna just list a bunch of question/info I want to know, in the hopes of having most of it answered by the overmind. To speed things up, so the other players don't have to wait too long on my slow ass.

1. A method of spreading crystalization to all.
2. In attempting to spread the overmind broadly, it was spread too thin and too fast, essentially tearing it to pieces and spreading it out in a vastly weakened form, anchored to major concentrations of crystal.
3. The overmind believes this t be the case. There is a crystal thing out there, a compound of sorts.
4. Yes and no. Those are slivers of the true crystal, the true being which gave rise to the race. They were not made, they were given. But the location of the nearest branch is known, albeit beyond the reach of the current map.
5. You are already connected right now. If you mean to keep this connection beyond this location, no. Not as it is.
6. To rebuild, and to continue to spread the communion of the crystal. Though it has been weakened in this time, it has waited patiently to continue its spread. Eons are nothing to one such as the Crystal.
7. This is a bit hard to translate but can be best described as skepticism. It held such relations in the past but it found organic life to be highly unpredictable and fickle, wavering between comrade and enemy every few hundred years- a time period it considers unreasonably fast.  The weapon and the conflict that brought it were the result of its frustration with the other races and their insubstantial nature.
8.Your abilities are weakened and lessened because of the state the overmind is in. If it were restored, its connection to the Crystal would be reestablished and thus its powers would be more accessible to you. You should be able to bud off golems and effortlessly form weaponized constructs but you are sadly limited now.
9. You are given this.
10. Its desire to be whole once again is clear. Its desire for your safety equally clear. It has no words, as such things are insubstantial. Its feelings and desires are clear to you, what more can be asked?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: December 23, 2019, 10:42:01 am »

(Yes, the sphere)
Think about whether using Gesh to bind a creature completely takes away their will
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:28:38 am by Naturegirl1999 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 24, 2019, 05:30:24 am »

Once information is extracted, Nyw will calmly put down the chemist and politely thank them for their assistance.  They have been quite helpful, and therefore deserve to be treated kindly.  Do warn them, however, that if they go out of their way to defend the criminal organization, Nyw will consider them to be complicit in all the harmful activities it engages in, and thus, guilty of quite a hefty amount.

Then go sprint after the person who was standing watch, who Argon noticed.  Run them down, and direct the two human followers to give chase as well.  Maybe even the three AFK PCs who are supposedly present right now, too.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: December 25, 2019, 05:47:12 pm »

Share the things I just learned about those items, but with appropriately just-vague-enough-to-be-frustrating-fucking-wizards-I-swear descriptions.

Search for some sort of container big enough to hold that net, then scoop it up with whatever stick equivalent nearest by, or have my crystal construct do this.

Ask Clate dearest if he can come up and translate this tablet for a sec. If he's busy, then go check out another building nearby, but stay within shouting distance of the others.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2525 on: December 25, 2019, 05:54:12 pm »

Oh, interesting. Do I know anything about scriptures? Do I remember hearing about anything special about the molemen in the black book or the human religion/history in general? I mean, if all the races of the underground like Ethral and Corven are supposed to be related to humans, then how can molemen be here long before humans came to this place?

Also, any chance I could move these status out of here without the Ethral noticing?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: December 26, 2019, 03:15:06 pm »

Some more questions, while we're at it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2527 on: December 28, 2019, 09:27:56 am »

(Yes, the sphere)
Think about whether using Gesh to bind a creature completely takes away their will
[10]
That really depends on the dive. You can create something that turns creatures into complete puppets or you could simply make them unable to do one particular thing. Or you could lay down commandments about their general actions, or even just stick what amounts to a bomb collar on them. Gesh, like everything else in diving, is not one simple thing.

Once information is extracted, Nyw will calmly put down the chemist and politely thank them for their assistance.  They have been quite helpful, and therefore deserve to be treated kindly.  Do warn them, however, that if they go out of their way to defend the criminal organization, Nyw will consider them to be complicit in all the harmful activities it engages in, and thus, guilty of quite a hefty amount.

Then go sprint after the person who was standing watch, who Argon noticed.  Run them down, and direct the two human followers to give chase as well.  Maybe even the three AFK PCs who are supposedly present right now, too.

[19,7,2]
You, the big clanking lummox that you are, have no chance of catching the man. However, your two young wards are far more fleet of foot and manage to tackle the man in a nearby alleyway and restrain him. You lumber upon them holding him down as he thrashes about wildly.

Share the things I just learned about those items, but with appropriately just-vague-enough-to-be-frustrating-fucking-wizards-I-swear descriptions.

Search for some sort of container big enough to hold that net, then scoop it up with whatever stick equivalent nearest by, or have my crystal construct do this.

Ask Clate dearest if he can come up and translate this tablet for a sec. If he's busy, then go check out another building nearby, but stay within shouting distance of the others.

The net is still in the barrel for the moment, so its contained. However, the only containers around here are made of crystal and thus equally heavy and difficult to move. You knock it over so you can at least roll it, but getting it down from up here is gonna be a bit difficult.

You call down to Clate to come up and read this gosh darn tablet. He doesn't respond, but you see him coming up into the main room a few minutes later.

Oh, interesting. Do I know anything about scriptures? Do I remember hearing about anything special about the molemen in the black book or the human religion/history in general? I mean, if all the races of the underground like Ethral and Corven are supposed to be related to humans, then how can molemen be here long before humans came to this place?

Also, any chance I could move these status out of here without the Ethral noticing?

[1]
Hmm.

You know nothing about these statues and their relation to scripture exactly, but You do know that there are alternative interpretations of the scripture and even theories that do not align with it at all. The Ethral tend to, quietly, accept a theory that many races, including moles, existed in the depths of the world before mankind descended. They argue that these creatures were naturally occurring, not offshoot species of mankind. The Ethral species themselves state they are not offshoots either and in fact hail from different regions of the underworld and were here when humans arrived. The Black Book and Humans in general of course deny these ideas as heresy or, at best, misinterpretations of evidence.

As per moving these things, you don't think the Ethral have seen them yet; as they lack the two dozen carefully affixed marking tags which would probably be the hallmark of ethral investigation.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2528 on: December 29, 2019, 08:18:13 am »

Well, I'm not worried about the Ethral noticing that the statues are missing. I'm more worried about the fact that we used an Ethral secret tunnel to get here and going out while carrying a large wheelbarrow filled with statues will probably attract attention, even if I cover them with a tarp or something. Unless they are so focused on their research they won't notice. Or the statues are small enough to hide them on me. Or I have seen some alternate exit from here.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: December 29, 2019, 04:15:07 pm »

Yeah, same plan as with the chemist.  Inspect him for hidden weapons, then pick him up and intimidate until he spills the beans on who employed him, what his job is, where he was going, etc.  Don't do any stabbing or cutting or other such things, but some weak (not bone-breaking) slaps and such are totes fine, this guy sounds a bit more criminal.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #2530 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »

Yup, just gonna wait around until the big guy pays me. In the mean while, try to figure out what the heck "haze" is. Without injecting it.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:15 pm »

Ya missed my questions for the overmind last turn, so here they are again.

Once these have been asked, go help Adam with translating his tablet, since I can now just straight up read crystal script.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: December 30, 2019, 01:01:40 pm »

Go to check on the Etheal to see if they started looking for us

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2533 on: January 01, 2020, 01:43:13 pm »

Well, I'm not worried about the Ethral noticing that the statues are missing. I'm more worried about the fact that we used an Ethral secret tunnel to get here and going out while carrying a large wheelbarrow filled with statues will probably attract attention, even if I cover them with a tarp or something. Unless they are so focused on their research they won't notice. Or the statues are small enough to hide them on me. Or I have seen some alternate exit from here.

The statues aren't full sized but they aren't small either, Each is roughly a meter tall and solid stone so even just moving them off their pedestals would prove difficult, especially for a one armed bird like yourself. If you got them off and somehow transported them back, you would indeed have a very hard time secretly getting them past the guards.  That crystal cloak of yours is the sort of thing you stash in a bag but these statues are a bit beyond that.

Yeah, same plan as with the chemist.  Inspect him for hidden weapons, then pick him up and intimidate until he spills the beans on who employed him, what his job is, where he was going, etc.  Don't do any stabbing or cutting or other such things, but some weak (not bone-breaking) slaps and such are totes fine, this guy sounds a bit more criminal.

A pat down nets you a knife and a pistol, as well as something interesting. Its a small totem, a statue made of volcanic stone carved into the shape of what appears to be a moth with an eye for a head.

[5]

You attempt to intimidate the man, and it seems you do breach that point where he'll start talking, but instead of telling you what you want he starts rambling about the "True Light" and the "Awakened Eye" and what sound like cult ravings.

Yup, just gonna wait around until the big guy pays me. In the mean while, try to figure out what the heck "haze" is. Without injecting it.

[6]
Haze, you think, judging by what you know, is a nootropic hallucinogen; it enhances cognition but has the side effect of causing dramatic perception changes.

Ya missed my questions for the overmind last turn, so here they are again.

Once these have been asked, go help Adam with translating his tablet, since I can now just straight up read crystal script.

Oops.

1. It will consider it.
2. As is, no. Though anywhere with large crystal concentrations will likely have some aspect of the overmind lingering within it. Including the place near the molten heart.
3. The church is after its time, as are humans and several other species. It tells you to beware the moles; they hide secrets and violence. As per the Antediluvians the crystal says they are slaves of "The great fire at the heart of the earth". They are servants of something beyond even the Crystal's understanding.
4. Crystal weapons come in two varieties: those that rely on the natural sharpness and shapeshifting of the crystal, and those which draw direct power from the crystal overmind and its pervasive strength. Basically, it seems like their ranged weapons are somehow powered by the crystal overmind and have trouble working/being made without it. The high energy weapons you've seen are examples of this. It says that someone upstairs has one.  In order to properly replicate and use these, you need to either be in a place with a high overmind concentration or to restore the overmind to what it once was.
5. It says that it cannot grant you personal power, but can instead attempt to follow your desires. It is what changes the crystals, it is what controls the stone; it merely listens to your prayers as it was. but if you will do for it what it wants, it will listen and grant more.
6. It states that you should be able to "Shed' your body and move through stone, creating a new form wherever you desire of the stone there. This was one of the great powers of the Crystal; its followers gained a degree of immortality due to their ability to shed and remake forms freely. The weakness of the Overmind is likely greatly hindering this though.
7. It states that "The fire which lives in the heart of the planet returned to once again reign, scouring the surface of life and allowing its own tagalongs to colonize"

The crystal tablet is not script so much as its a condensed memory; stone which contains meaning in its lattice and material, but that can only be understood by someone like you. The slab is a map of this city, how it once was.

Go to check on the Etheal to see if they started looking for us
They appear to be in the midst of arguing about....the use of bug sleds? What? Well whatever. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 01, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »

Plant eyes inside our skulls!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 231