Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385548 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Alex walks up to the group near the guitar monster. "Hey so I got a message about a diver causing trouble on the bore, has the trouble been dealt with yet?"
AsHul throws the squirming fleshbits onto the ground, spits noisily at his feet, and grumbles toward Alex before stumping off.

"It would appear so."

Dive back to Balaram. This time, let's target a machine mind assembly location.

[12]
This time when you return you find yourself standing within what looks like a giant cylinder of metal. At its center is an octopus like automata with countless thousands of limbs branching off a giant knobby main body studded with red glass eyes. Around the entire inner surface of the cylinder are millions of small keys, like those of a keyboard. The machine rapidly types away at these keys with its hundreds of arms, filling the room with a cacophonous clicking.

"Good." Alex responds seemingly uninterested.
"I'll be continuing my research, unless anyone needs me for anything right now."

Quickly skim through the books, look for anything related to the conflict with the Chthonic God, the warrior we encountered in the cist and anything that might be useful as a tinkering project.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[5]
One of the books, apparently a very futuristic book in nature, mentions the discovery of a large unknown mass "In the outer solar system" that is "Moving towards Earth in a way that indicates intent instead of simple natural forces". There are apparently "Military implements in place" to handle it.

maybe I should look for a job to do, outside the bore. Nyw, what did you kill?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Exit the bore and look at the bounty board and ask for any jobs anyone has that I could help with
The bounty board is pretty bare of local jobs at the moment, though there are job listings for help needed in the Bore Factories.

Try again to build a spooky Bone Guitar, this time hopefully without it trying to kill me.
Spoiler: Ony (click to show/hide)

(You have to use new corpses this time)
[6]
You succeed on creating the corpse guitar. It looks...well it looks like a normal guitar that has been wrapped in human flesh. You know this isn't the case through. You can feel a heartbeat inside it and the flesh is warm. When you play the strings it sings, and teeth and tongue are visible moving inside.

Go rest until my legs are better.

Then see if there's any mention of mole settlements in the Crystal Texts that are not on our current map. If we find an abandoned mole settlement we might be able to find some of their secrets there.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Hmm. There is one that seems promising but its...deep. Deeper than the current map shows. Below the Molten Heart. Seems to have fallen for unknown reasons during the time of the crystal and isn't spoken of much.

Call yes, secure...maybe. You can secure your side but without diving to insulate the call it would depend on his side. Maybe you could talk to him in code of some kind to secure it? Maybe He'd already have a secure line for you. Unknown.

In that case, try to set up a regular call to him, then once we're talking hopefully we can arrange for a more secure call.

The church tends to do their dives in reinforced catacombs beneath their main building. You, being a member of the church, could probably ask them to use the space. Though they might ask compensation in the form of doing dives for them on top of your personal work.

What kind of dives are we talking here? Would they be very difficult or dangerous? And would it be possible to simply pay them some money for renting this location, or are dives the only form of payment accepted?

Secondly, what kind of protections and countermeasures do they have in these catacombs? Is it simply just a bunker, or are there some precautions in case of eg. possession? 

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Done. You go through the church here and set up a call for tomorrow.

Unknown, but the church makes extensive use of diving to maintain itself, so likely you would be creating objects for sale or reapplying old dives that have degraded.  Challenge would likely be reasonable; there's no way they'd had truly dangerous work to you.  And yes, you likely could just pay them for the time.

According to what you know, they have a room similar to the communion room where the diver is effectively restrained in a highly reinforced area. There are generally methods for knocking the diver out or killing them if needed included in the room.  The exact countermeasures and reinforcements will vary, but they also generally have other divers and specially trained counter diver teams to deal with possession. With how commonly they use diving, they have turned the process into a science...a dangerous science but  science.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Go to the Bore Factories and offer to work for them, ask what kind of help is needed

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Unknown, but the church makes extensive use of diving to maintain itself, so likely you would be creating objects for sale or reapplying old dives that have degraded.  Challenge would likely be reasonable; there's no way they'd had truly dangerous work to you.  And yes, you likely could just pay them for the time.
How much do they charge to rent that space? And could I take 1 or more teammates with me to oversee me during the dive for extra insurance? Finally, does diving in this location roll at advantage?

According to what you know, they have a room similar to the communion room where the diver is effectively restrained in a highly reinforced area. There are generally methods for knocking the diver out or killing them if needed included in the room.  The exact countermeasures and reinforcements will vary, but they also generally have other divers and specially trained counter diver teams to deal with possession. With how commonly they use diving, they have turned the process into a science...a dangerous science but  science.

Iiiiinteresting. Would they be willing to teach me about some of these countermeasures and techniques? Or is there perhaps a handbook of sorts?

Knife: 17 fathoms
Custom collapsible doorway: 30 fathoms
Sacrifices: 30 fathoms, 50 fathoms. Necessarily rare.

I'd like to buy the following, can you please check them:
- 2 x portal knife (34)
- 1 x Custom collapsible doorway (30)
- 1 x large collapsible doorway (large enough to allow crawler to move through, would 60 fathoms be an ok price for this?)
- 4 x sacrifices for +3 (200?)
- 3 black flames (9)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

What would be needed to reach the Molten Heart Crystal People Ruin, based on what we know? Is a simple life support upgrade for the bore enough?

What about heading deeper, to that abandoned mole people settlement? Would we need to consider something besides all the extra fuel we'll need? Food, supplies, stuff like that?

Finally, is there something that could help me do my job better as an archeologist? I was thinking of something that could help me find the ancient Korax settlement while exploring the Mistcliff Fault. I want to find it to learn more about the Korax and find out the truth about their relationship to the Corven and the Fire Singers as well as the early humans and how they might have influenced their development. Were the humans of the past more powerful than those of today? Are the human myths correct in saying they uplifted the Korax into the Corven or are we going to find evidence that contradict the official church history? If they did do that, were saints involved? That's the sort of stuff I'm interested in learning. I know I probably won't find clear cut answers, but evidence like idols of humans and their bores, trade with humans or even signs of combat with humans could offer insight into the past. Any equipment that could help with this sort of work would be great.

But I'm open to anything. Maybe some sort of thing I haven't thought of that could give me an edge in detecting valuable things in general? Some sort of trained sniffing bug or something? Some sort of scanning equipment or seismic sensor we could install on the bore? A metal detector? Some sort of magic doohickey? Or am I better off relying on Clare's stonesense and Adam's freaky eyes?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2884 on: May 19, 2020, 08:21:55 am »

Where is AsHul in this cylinder of typing? is he in imminent danger of having his buttons pressed? Does he think he could bring back the whole cylinder to Akhmah?

If he were to attempt to duplicate this thing, only smaller, once he returns to Akhmah, what kind of reinforcements would it take for a Balaram -> Zon Dive to do so?
1) person sized, or 2) 1 foot longest diameter?
Actually, same question, but for the obsidian dragon from the initial quest.

Hotfire90

Read that book more in-depth and try to find out more about the detected unknown mass and the military measures prepared against it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

Go train with a rifle, shooting at rocks or something in hopes of rolling a 1.  Do take proper precautions, don't shoot things around other people, or when those people are downrange.  Last time it was five bullets per traning roll.

Could the dual wielding mechanic apply to rifles?  Hold two rifles, fire both for two attacks which are both at disadvantage?  Would this apply even with an automatic that grants multiple attacks?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Go to the Bore Factories and offer to work for them, ask what kind of help is needed

The work is rather menial, mostly helping move things around, riveting in armor plating, or helping the engine masters tune the gears. But it pays 30 fathoms for each turn you work.
So +30 fathoms now, and a further 30 each turn after this you feel like working. Its a pretty simple job so I won't bother to roll unless something unexpected happens.

How much do they charge to rent that space? And could I take 1 or more teammates with me to oversee me during the dive for extra insurance? Finally, does diving in this location roll at advantage?

Iiiiinteresting. Would they be willing to teach me about some of these countermeasures and techniques? Or is there perhaps a handbook of sorts?

Knife: 17 fathoms
Custom collapsible doorway: 30 fathoms
Sacrifices: 30 fathoms, 50 fathoms. Necessarily rare.

I'd like to buy the following, can you please check them:
- 2 x portal knife (34)
- 1 x Custom collapsible doorway (30)
- 1 x large collapsible doorway (large enough to allow crawler to move through, would 60 fathoms be an ok price for this?)
- 4 x sacrifices for +3 (200?)
- 3 black flames (9)

Lets charge by Dive. 10 fathoms a dive. You can take teammates, and yes, you would roll at advantage there.

You're not sure if there's a handbook, but you could definitely ask the people there about it.  They would likely be willing to talk about it.

I assume I quoted prices on these before. Knives...sure, Doorway sure, other door...sure, Sacrifices yeah...and yeah it all looks fine.

Read that book more in-depth and try to find out more about the detected unknown mass and the military measures prepared against it.
The book is a collection of the articles from volumes 455-475 of a magazine called "Cognition".  the lines in reference to the coming space thing are found in volume 473, and make up only a page long article about the accidental discovery of the object and how scientists are still debating what it is and what to do with it. It makes reference to several individuals and locations but all the actual data on the thing is very vague, with even the scientists basically hedging their bets as to what it is. Many believe it is some sort of exotic matter and that its apparent capacity to ignore gravity and normal stellar paths is due to some unknown property it has. Others thing it might be alien in nature, though attempts to hail it have been unsuccessful.

Hmmm...If you can find further collections of this magazine it might give you more answers. The object was still reckoned to be years away when this article was written. Maybe a diver could get you the next set?

What would be needed to reach the Molten Heart Crystal People Ruin, based on what we know? Is a simple life support upgrade for the bore enough?

What about heading deeper, to that abandoned mole people settlement? Would we need to consider something besides all the extra fuel we'll need? Food, supplies, stuff like that?

Finally, is there something that could help me do my job better as an archeologist? I was thinking of something that could help me find the ancient Korax settlement while exploring the Mistcliff Fault. I want to find it to learn more about the Korax and find out the truth about their relationship to the Corven and the Fire Singers as well as the early humans and how they might have influenced their development. Were the humans of the past more powerful than those of today? Are the human myths correct in saying they uplifted the Korax into the Corven or are we going to find evidence that contradict the official church history? If they did do that, were saints involved? That's the sort of stuff I'm interested in learning. I know I probably won't find clear cut answers, but evidence like idols of humans and their bores, trade with humans or even signs of combat with humans could offer insight into the past. Any equipment that could help with this sort of work would be great.

But I'm open to anything. Maybe some sort of thing I haven't thought of that could give me an edge in detecting valuable things in general? Some sort of trained sniffing bug or something? Some sort of scanning equipment or seismic sensor we could install on the bore? A metal detector? Some sort of magic doohickey? Or am I better off relying on Clare's stonesense and Adam's freaky eyes?

Reaching it should be possible without any upgrades but it is smack dab right on top of the molten heart so once you get there things might get toasty.  Honestly the best option you can think of would be to outfit the crystal mover to do the final approach. Even then, you'll probably need to find a way to shield the people against the heat. At least thats what you imagine. Chances are that place isn't kept nice and livable for anyone but the crystal race since it was a secret location after all.

Theoretically anything could be down there. Basic supplies are probably a very good idea, but unless you can find someone who has knowledge of the area beneath the heart...you can't really be sure.

Hmm. Well there are two things you can probably do. The first is try to find as much info as you can on the Korax before going there. The moths might have info on them; books to aid in translation or that give a background/framework to view things in. With some basic knowledge you could likely glean a lot more from what you find than if you just tried to puzzle it out on your own.  Second, finding these things will likely rely on multiple things, but a good Awareness stat would help greatly, so you can notice things. Finding a way to boost yours, or finding a creature or companion with good awareness would likely help guide you towards discoveries.

This is of course ignoring things like wizard eyes and diving. With diving you could probably just magic up a 3d compass that points to the ruins you want or some kind of "Detective vision" goggles.

Where is AsHul in this cylinder of typing? is he in imminent danger of having his buttons pressed? Does he think he could bring back the whole cylinder to Akhmah?

If he were to attempt to duplicate this thing, only smaller, once he returns to Akhmah, what kind of reinforcements would it take for a Balaram -> Zon Dive to do so?
1) person sized, or 2) 1 foot longest diameter?
Actually, same question, but for the obsidian dragon from the initial quest.

Yes. Well, there are a lot of buttons and a lot of arms; he might get pressed along with the button behind him, eventually. He could try and move towards the main body of the machine to avoid this through.  And no, not the whole thing. This is like a Grain silo, its a massive space.

The entire thing or just the automaton inside?  The automaton is giant but still a lot smaller than the cylinder. We're looking at like 5 or 6 or 8 or 9 respectively. Its all very very precise.

Go train with a rifle, shooting at rocks or something in hopes of rolling a 1.  Do take proper precautions, don't shoot things around other people, or when those people are downrange.  Last time it was five bullets per traning roll.

Could the dual wielding mechanic apply to rifles?  Hold two rifles, fire both for two attacks which are both at disadvantage?  Would this apply even with an automatic that grants multiple attacks?

Ok. 46 rolls passed before a 1 for a total of 230 rounds used. Continue?

Yes, I would accept that. Even with full auto but it would still be rolling at disadvantage for all of it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Continue working

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile

Go work at the foundry

Could I just work at the foundry every turn without a post until I decide to do something else, or would that be too much micro managing for you? If that’s ok, I’ll put the payout directly into the team fund.

Sell my opals

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile

I’ve decided to give away some of my things, so everything on this list is up for grabs
Spoiler: giveaway (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I’ve decided to give away some of my things, so everything on this list is up for grabs
Spoiler: giveaway (click to show/hide)
I’m guessing this is on the bore?

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile

Yeah, it’s on the bore

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I'm going to try out this new guitar, seeing as it caused a bunch of trouble trying to make the damned thing. Creepy and cool looking though.

Take a corpse from the bore outside and strum a few chords on the new guitar at it, seeing if I can move it or cause any effect to the outside environment.

Using the remains of the DEMON GUITAR try and carve a few Occult Bone Bullets for my rifle.

After that is all done go to the Boreworks and try to apply for a higher position using my Mechanical and Electronics knowledge.

Spoiler: Ony (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

You're not sure if there's a handbook, but you could definitely ask the people there about it.  They would likely be willing to talk about it.
Let's do so then and see what they have to say.

Secondly, before I do the actual dives, can you check them and tell me if I'm missing something, or if I misinterpreted some of your earlier explanations somehow? Finally, if there's anything you'd like to suggest in terms of the dive's wording (improvements or caveats), please do share.

Dive 1: portal knife enchantment
Move to Noth, then to Xi. Reinforce Noth and Xi 10 times each.
This allows the entrance portal to be made when 'cutting' with the portal knife while the selection dial is pressed down a bit. The position of the selection dial determines which destination portal is used, with the rune (or number or whatever) on the dial corresponding to a rune on the destination portal. So, if a portal doorway ever gets destroyed, that destination is not reachable, but making a new portal with the same rune reestablishes the connection. Trying to open a portal while the dial is set to a rune with no corresponding destination portal doorway means the connection is denied and opens no portal. Closing the portal from the knife side can be done by doing the same cutting motion in the reverse direction. Once open, the portal is two-way. A single rune on the dial is meant to act as a 'wildcard' to connect to a destination with no rune on it, for situations where we need to eg. define the destination doorway as a hole in the ground (as per the example you gave: "That would probably help somewhat: defining the edges I mean. but thats again more related to the nature of the dive. You could map the edges to a crate or a hole in the ground or just about anything.")

Dive 2: destination portal doorway
Move to Noth, then to Xi. Reinforce Noth and Xi 10 times each.
This spell allows the doorway to act as destination portal. When the portal doorway is set up, the rune on it's side is complete and allows for a portal connection to be formed. Folding up the portal doorway breaks the rune (eg because it is painted over a folding junction, so folding it up breaks the rune in two) and causes the portal to be closed. Trying to open a portal while the doorway is still folded means the connection is denied. If the rune is sufficiently damaged then the portal also closes. If someone were to try and create a destination with a rune that's already in use, and upon using the knife both are in a 'ready to receive' state, then one of them is chosen randomly as destination. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:23:37 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 231