Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385514 times)

Hotfire90

Ask around at the Ethral Archive if their collection of books has any further volumes of the Cognition magazine. If they have any, offer them information from my first set of books in exchange for being allowed to read the volumes.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2896 on: May 21, 2020, 09:32:30 am »

For now, move toward the center, to a space that looks like it remains clear of moving parts, and inspect the automaton closer, to see if I can pick up any clues as to it's purpose, or if I can see any other independant machinery in here. Also, as I am able, look around the cylinder for exits and entrances.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

What would i need to get the Crystal mover to a state where it can safely carry people? Would I need some sort of life support system? Seats? Snacks?

Are there things like diving suits? What about heat resistant diving suits? Could Clate take some Crystal and form a heat-resistant diving suit out of it? Or is the Crystal too rigid to be turned into a diving suit?

Would our personal radios be enough to allow us to contact the bore from the Crystal mover through a few tiles of lava? Or would we be better off installing a radio in the mover?

Could Clate use his abilities to form some sort of airlock if we get the mover next to a sealed Crystal structure? I'm guessing that if we get in then we'll be safe from the heat. Is there a chance that the local overmind resists his attempts to penetrate the wall?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

Leave chungus ramiel on the bore. Take my other crystal babies and retroactively go with Adam to keep watch while he does his dives.

Position my 4 golems in a diamond shape around him at a reasonable distance, then just keep watch while he does his thing. Also keep an eye out for how the church people react to me being there.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Continue working
30 more fathoms.

Go work at the foundry

Could I just work at the foundry every turn without a post until I decide to do something else, or would that be too much micro managing for you? If that’s ok, I’ll put the payout directly into the team fund.

Sell my opals

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Ok. If you wanna just work until the bore leaves or whatever, I can just assume we add 30 to the team fund every turn. I'm sure some wild wiki goblin around here will be willing to keep track of free money.

You sell your opals for 100 fathoms

"I'm going to try out this new guitar, seeing as it caused a bunch of trouble trying to make the damned thing. Creepy and cool looking though.

Take a corpse from the bore outside and strum a few chords on the new guitar at it, seeing if I can move it or cause any effect to the outside environment.

Using the remains of the DEMON GUITAR try and carve a few Occult Bone Bullets for my rifle.

After that is all done go to the Boreworks and try to apply for a higher position using my Mechanical and Electronics knowledge.

Spoiler: Ony (click to show/hide)

[8]
Through some experimentation, you learn how to puppet the corpse about with the right combination of notes and cords from the guitar.

[5] You get 31 occult bone bullets out of the remains of the demon guitar.

[15] You manage to get a job, but can't talk them into paying you more than the others.

You're not sure if there's a handbook, but you could definitely ask the people there about it.  They would likely be willing to talk about it.
Let's do so then and see what they have to say.

Secondly, before I do the actual dives, can you check them and tell me if I'm missing something, or if I misinterpreted some of your earlier explanations somehow? Finally, if there's anything you'd like to suggest in terms of the dive's wording (improvements or caveats), please do share.

Dive 1: portal knife enchantment
Move to Noth, then to Xi. Reinforce Noth and Xi 10 times each.
This allows the entrance portal to be made when 'cutting' with the portal knife while the selection dial is pressed down a bit. The position of the selection dial determines which destination portal is used, with the rune (or number or whatever) on the dial corresponding to a rune on the destination portal. So, if a portal doorway ever gets destroyed, that destination is not reachable, but making a new portal with the same rune reestablishes the connection. Trying to open a portal while the dial is set to a rune with no corresponding destination portal doorway means the connection is denied and opens no portal. Closing the portal from the knife side can be done by doing the same cutting motion in the reverse direction. Once open, the portal is two-way. A single rune on the dial is meant to act as a 'wildcard' to connect to a destination with no rune on it, for situations where we need to eg. define the destination doorway as a hole in the ground (as per the example you gave: "That would probably help somewhat: defining the edges I mean. but thats again more related to the nature of the dive. You could map the edges to a crate or a hole in the ground or just about anything.")

Dive 2: destination portal doorway
Move to Noth, then to Xi. Reinforce Noth and Xi 10 times each.
This spell allows the doorway to act as destination portal. When the portal doorway is set up, the rune on it's side is complete and allows for a portal connection to be formed. Folding up the portal doorway breaks the rune (eg because it is painted over a folding junction, so folding it up breaks the rune in two) and causes the portal to be closed. Trying to open a portal while the doorway is still folded means the connection is denied. If the rune is sufficiently damaged then the portal also closes. If someone were to try and create a destination with a rune that's already in use, and upon using the knife both are in a 'ready to receive' state, then one of them is chosen randomly as destination. 

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

[12]
They're surprisingly tight lipped. About the most you can get out of them is that apparently there's some sort of built in En enchantment on the entire room to allow them to revert any issues. They have a standard list of these sort of things that they check once a day. They kind of have to since if they activated no one would remember it because it technically would never have happened.

25 rolls eh? Well, lets give it a shot...yeah pass with no misses thanks to advantage.

Second one...-3 Nerve, don't go nuts, but it doesn't come out quite right.  The portal's end point isn't very well anchored to the physical object. There's some drift involved, so you will come out in the general area, but maybe not spot on. Don't put it on any cliffs or anything.

Ask around at the Ethral Archive if their collection of books has any further volumes of the Cognition magazine. If they have any, offer them information from my first set of books in exchange for being allowed to read the volumes.
The good news is that they do. Its actually even the volumes you'll need, you think. They're not translated yet but its in their storage. The issue is they're not willing to trade since they already copied down the info from those books.

For now, move toward the center, to a space that looks like it remains clear of moving parts, and inspect the automaton closer, to see if I can pick up any clues as to it's purpose, or if I can see any other independant machinery in here. Also, as I am able, look around the cylinder for exits and entrances.

You step over, close to the body of the automaton. Judging by the buttons, it seems to be controlling the movement of something. Or a lot of somethings. Maybe its the brains behind those conveyors? There are two exits you see. A large circular vent all the way at the top of the cylinder, and a small square vent down here.

What would i need to get the Crystal mover to a state where it can safely carry people? Would I need some sort of life support system? Seats? Snacks?

Are there things like diving suits? What about heat resistant diving suits? Could Clate take some Crystal and form a heat-resistant diving suit out of it? Or is the Crystal too rigid to be turned into a diving suit?

Would our personal radios be enough to allow us to contact the bore from the Crystal mover through a few tiles of lava? Or would we be better off installing a radio in the mover?

Could Clate use his abilities to form some sort of airlock if we get the mover next to a sealed Crystal structure? I'm guessing that if we get in then we'll be safe from the heat. Is there a chance that the local overmind resists his attempts to penetrate the wall?

The biggest thing it would need is life support. Namely, in this case, thermal protection. Clate can survive in it,  but it would probably do more than singe your feathers. There's also no oxygen, at least none more than you bring with it.

There are diving suits, those aren't that uncommon due to shluck relations. However, while lava diving suits exist they're the product of Diving, with the capital "D". Clate's ability to make something lava proof is unknown to you. Maybe? But solid rock is rather hard to move in. Maybe some sort of mini submarine?

Through...one or two. Lava is still stone, just a bit less dense.

Yes, you're pretty sure he could make an airlock. And you don't think the overmind will resist. The issue is whether or not the structure itself is actually thermal insulated. If this is a "Crystal Only" sort of place than they probably didn't care to make it livable for the squishier races. I mean, who cares if some dumb flesh thing is gonna catch fire in your secret military base. Actually better that way really.

Leave chungus ramiel on the bore. Take my other crystal babies and retroactively go with Adam to keep watch while he does his dives.

Position my 4 golems in a diamond shape around him at a reasonable distance, then just keep watch while he does his thing. Also keep an eye out for how the church people react to me being there.

Done and done. 

Hotfire90

Make them the following counter-offer: Promise them the opportunity of an all exclusive interview with a being from the surface in exchange for access to the volumes. The actual interview will be a different offer with its terms and conditions to be determined when it's ready to be conducted.

Should my offer be rejected, add that I would share what I read with them, saving them the time it would take to translate the volumes themselves.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

continue working

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

((Teleporter knife: GET!

It's not quite flawless and it's only the start of the network, but even in this state it should be usable. So from now on, if people want to go on a side mission or want to run an errand but are afraid they might not get back in time to hop onto the bore before it leaves, we have that covered. Hopefully this will give us much more operational flexibility without splitting up the team permanently.))

They're surprisingly tight lipped. About the most you can get out of them is that apparently there's some sort of built in En enchantment on the entire room to allow them to revert any issues. They have a standard list of these sort of things that they check once a day. They kind of have to since if they activated no one would remember it because it technically would never have happened.

Try to needle them a little more. At the very least try and find out exactly what enchantment(s) they use and what dive it requires. 

How much would I need to reinforce Noth and Xi to do a dive to fix the teleporter deviation on the destination portal? And how much to buy a bunch of mattresses to cover the area of possible deviation? (so that if people end up away and in the air they don't break anything coming down)

Secondly, for the -3 nerve Adam is under right now, can we assume he just rests it off in a turn since we're in flexible time between missions? If not, could you tell me when he's rested and the penalty is gone? Perhaps at the start of the next 'mission'?

Also, paid for the 2 dives done in their chamber. 

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2903 on: May 25, 2020, 03:58:09 am »

Return to the material world and rest to regain my single point of lost nerve. Inspect Adam's teleportal knives and, if permitted, the Mole's flesh guitar. Look for any obvious flaws or possible improvements (I already know about the imprecision of the one gate). I'm not asking for like, a grand list of possible improvements, just any that come to mind from a casual but thorough physical inspection.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile

Go work at the forge.

Also, make myself available if anyone wants to borrow me to use the Voice.

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

((As a suggestion in case neither of those options work, Hotfire, you could try offering money.  People tend to like money, and if you hadn't noticed, you're currently filthy rich.))

Continue rifle training.

As an idle question, does this give only skill with the [pierce 2] guard/ethral rifles, or with a more broad range of weapons?  I'd presume the former, exactly because of the kinda-exploit I'm abusing right now, but we both know Nyw will eventually try to dual-wield bore piercers if the skill applies to all rifles.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

((Can confirm, Alex has >1000 Fathoms))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

Oh, I thought all Crystal ruins were magically cold, like the first ruins we visited, hence why I thought we'd be safe from the magma if we can make it into a sealed section. But I get it if not all ruins are like that.

Take up Harm's offer to use the Voice on the Korax Idols I got from the Crystal Trade Depot. Maybe it will help me figure out ancient trade routes, Korax nesting sites or simply what they were using to make the idols and what they were thinking when they made the idols. Any info is better than no info, right?

Then

Quote from: piecewise
The moths might have info on them; books to aid in translation or that give a background/framework to view things in.
go visit the moths and see if they have something like that for the Korax. If not, then ask where I would be likely to find that and if it would be free.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:27:47 am by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

so none of these church boys are surprised to see me here or are eyeing my hot crystal bod?

Anyways, stick with Adam and try to act mindless golem like. Also do a cheeky stonesense ping if I think it's safe to do so, to map out the place we're in.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

continue working
Go work at the forge.

Also, make myself available if anyone wants to borrow me to use the Voice.

30 to nature

30 to our community pile

Make them the following counter-offer: Promise them the opportunity of an all exclusive interview with a being from the surface in exchange for access to the volumes. The actual interview will be a different offer with its terms and conditions to be determined when it's ready to be conducted.

Should my offer be rejected, add that I would share what I read with them, saving them the time it would take to translate the volumes themselves.

They seem very interested in that sort of info. But they are also shrewd enough not to let you see the things until you can pay them. After all, if you look at the books you can just skip town and never pay.

This has happened to them before.

((Teleporter knife: GET!

It's not quite flawless and it's only the start of the network, but even in this state it should be usable. So from now on, if people want to go on a side mission or want to run an errand but are afraid they might not get back in time to hop onto the bore before it leaves, we have that covered. Hopefully this will give us much more operational flexibility without splitting up the team permanently.))

Try to needle them a little more. At the very least try and find out exactly what enchantment(s) they use and what dive it requires. 

How much would I need to reinforce Noth and Xi to do a dive to fix the teleporter deviation on the destination portal? And how much to buy a bunch of mattresses to cover the area of possible deviation? (so that if people end up away and in the air they don't break anything coming down)

Secondly, for the -3 nerve Adam is under right now, can we assume he just rests it off in a turn since we're in flexible time between missions? If not, could you tell me when he's rested and the penalty is gone? Perhaps at the start of the next 'mission'?

Also, paid for the 2 dives done in their chamber. 

[6] You manage to get them to tell you that the base enchantment is layered combo of Gesh and En which binds a possessed diver in place and then erases the dive. There are other layers here, meant to deal with dives that don't render the diver possessed but produce dangerous results. There's an Ah based enchantment that can entomb the entire area in solid red hot iron if needed.

You think that maybe 2 on each would work. Lets call it 50 fathoms for the padding.

Sure.

Return to the material world and rest to regain my single point of lost nerve. Inspect Adam's teleportal knives and, if permitted, the Mole's flesh guitar. Look for any obvious flaws or possible improvements (I already know about the imprecision of the one gate). I'm not asking for like, a grand list of possible improvements, just any that come to mind from a casual but thorough physical inspection.

You return to the normal world and casually check out the new magical things while resting your brain. You think the guitar could be given increased abilities with more strings. Maybe not a guitar anymore then though...mmm. The portal obviously has a flaw in the precision, but not a terribly hard one to fix.

((As a suggestion in case neither of those options work, Hotfire, you could try offering money.  People tend to like money, and if you hadn't noticed, you're currently filthy rich.))

Continue rifle training.

As an idle question, does this give only skill with the [pierce 2] guard/ethral rifles, or with a more broad range of weapons?  I'd presume the former, exactly because of the kinda-exploit I'm abusing right now, but we both know Nyw will eventually try to dual-wield bore piercers if the skill applies to all rifles.

The way the rules are written, its focused on weapon by weapon basis. I would probably allow you to fudge it a bit if you have a very similar weapon (like the ethral vs guard rifles) but nothing so different as rifle and pistol.

23 rolls until a 1 this time. Next 1 was at roll 51.

so none of these church boys are surprised to see me here or are eyeing my hot crystal bod?

Anyways, stick with Adam and try to act mindless golem like. Also do a cheeky stonesense ping if I think it's safe to do so, to map out the place we're in.

Most of the church boys here are not super high ranking and thus while they are very surprised to see you, they don't immediately start trying to buy you or steal you. They appear to think you're some sort of diving construct or something like that. You manage to ping without being noticed. It gives you an idea of how massive the tunnel network under the church really is.

Oh, I thought all Crystal ruins were magically cold, like the first ruins we visited, hence why I thought we'd be safe from the magma if we can make it into a sealed section. But I get it if not all ruins are like that.

Take up Harm's offer to use the Voice on the Korax Idols I got from the Crystal Trade Depot. Maybe it will help me figure out ancient trade routes, Korax nesting sites or simply what they were using to make the idols and what they were thinking when they made the idols. Any info is better than no info, right?

Then

Quote from: piecewise
The moths might have info on them; books to aid in translation or that give a background/framework to view things in.
go visit the moths and see if they have something like that for the Korax. If not, then ask where I would be likely to find that and if it would be free.

The ones you've come across are temperate enough, but there's no guarantee is a universal trait. It would be bad to open the airlock and flash cook all your friends.

[5] The idols have an extremely long history, though a lot of it involves being forgotten in a building for centuries. The voice is very quick and garbled, according to Harm, but tells you the following.
1.They appeared to prefer natural caves and didn't really do much building of their own. They built small, often temporary shelters and had a habit of leaving a lot of things behind. Idols like this were traded away but were also often just left behind.

2.If there were interactions with humans, it was after this idol was sold. No mention of them.

3. The priests of the society apparently worked with fire. Fire in general was an object of worship, generally because it was so hard to attain and thus was "Kept alive" as long as possible. It seems to have animistic element, where the fire was literally alive not just figuratively. Idols made of flammable substances were often used as kindling.

4. He outlines several locations where they were. Going by the description it seems like the whole area around the falls was their general stomping ground. Makes sense; a lot of large, open, vertical space is where they would thrive.

You ask the moths about the Korax. They have some information, though not a lot. You pay them 30 fathoms for it.  What they can tell you is this:

1. They had no written language, they kept records orally, through song. This means that all info on them is second hand. Apparently the closest they got were what are called "Song stones" which were large carved stones that would make a series of whistling tones when natural airflows moved through them. There are several in the Falls area.

2. They were hunter gatherers, who moved constantly, but generally cyclically. They "patrolled" a large territory, returning to the same series of caves and passages over and over as food replenished.

3. They are considered the ancestors of the Corven but the exact way they went from one to the other is unknown; all history during the "Age of Descent" is very sketchy. They say that the Church destroyed much of it as heretical and kept the rest archived for themselves. The moths seem pretty bitter about that last part.

4. They were apparently a Gerontocracy, where age was considered very important. Those that could survive a long time were not only the smartest but the ones most blessed by the gods and thus best fit for leading.

5. They were communial in most things; apparently they mated on an individual yearly cycle that had some level of variation. As such they'd basically mate with whoever - if anyone -was also able at the time. Children were raised communially and strong interpersonal bonds were not as common.

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 231