Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385270 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: They call it Mad science because it makes everyone really angry.
« Reply #2940 on: June 03, 2020, 08:26:23 am »

As a Diver, I like the skill amount limiting the lengths of paths, I think it makes sense, that longer paths (more complex dives) would require more training

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2941 on: June 03, 2020, 11:38:23 am »

Drink worm's blood to restore Nerve, then purchase Silent Night (cost 5) and worms' blood (cost 3)
Then sit in on the call with Leon's disciple.
Turn 2 of Silent Night effect.

Adam, Alex, Kara. I have enchanted the Explosive that Alex has prepped for use in my quest. I request that our next location is back to the Cist, or near enough that I can use the crawler to proceed. I believe I have everything necessary to complete the task set before me, though a device to carry the explosive would be helpful. Any who share the goal of eliminating this threat to humanity are welcome to join me in this task, thoug hI recommend that our less ... stable recruits be carefully supervised during the conflict.

Are there any significant tasks that prevent us from departing immediately?

Ok
Ok
Ok.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go to stores and look for anything that would assist with climbing, like ropes, grappling hooks, etc.
They have a grappling hook for 10 fathoms.

Ask Clate if he knows anything about if Undertow is older than Kirk or the relationship between Corven and Shluck. For that matter, do I know any stories about Corven and Shluck? Legends or sayings and such?

Could I pay someone to dive to make me a sort of pokeball or Ghostbusters trap? I'm thinking of a single use bazooka-like device that would teleport whatever object I'm aiming at (or better yet a ball-shaped chunk of space from where I'm aiming at) inside it and then put it in stasis via Neth. Would probably have to be two dives, one for the teleportation and one for the stasis. The fact that it teleports things would really help me if I want to steal something dangerous without being seen. Maybe add some armor as well, just so that it won't break and release the potentially dangerous thing.

Also inquire on the price of armored boxes to contain dangerous things. You know, artifact containers.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

No response from Clate so far.  You know the Corven have worked as mercs for the Shluck for a long time, but then again so have the Moles. The shluck have a lot of money and not a lot of physical ability so it only makes sense. You aren't aware of any deep connection between the two, but when you consider the history of the Corven, the Shluck do always seem to feature somewhat prominently. They are kind of always there....Hmm.

Possible to pay someone for that, though they might have further questions. The church sells diving services so they're a good place to start. Having the physical objects already made instead of summoning them from nowhere might make the dive and costs easier to bear.

How big? Like shoe box or crate or something in between?

That's 49 rolls to the third 1, which maxes out Nyw's guard/ethral rifle skill.  I'll take that happily!  As for giving shotguns -2 on to-hit rolls with shotshells, that seems perfectly fair.  It probably won't affect Nyw, because if he's in shotgun range he's probably close enough to murakumo range, but it does give others a reason to use shotguns sometimes.

About the "HEY SY" thing:

Towards the "hey can I speak with the person of mass destruction before we kill him" convo: "Perhaps a dive could enable Alex to speak with the Warrior, without ever damaging the being's containment?  I agree with Ashul, if the security of the cyst must be compromised to allow communication, then communication is a foolhardy and virtually suicidal plan.  I would only support it if risk to the rest of the crew, and our world at large, can be avoided."

Okie Dokie.

I see your point about how it would make some spheres a lot easier to get to. The attuning the spheres thing works but I don't like forcing them to spend a turn on it if only because of how slowly I update. Howabout instead we give bonuses if you're near something related to the dive. So if you want to do something with machinery, you'd need machinery instead of just "Technology". It would also let you avoid being screwed when you were doing something related to a more abstract thing like physics. Because you could just find an area that is somehow related to whatever the nature of the dive is, rather than a "Physics" area. Like if you wanted to make something float, you could go out on a pond with some floating stuff and get the bonus by connection. Seem like an idea?

"Yeah it's about time that we returned to the cist. We've prepared long enough and are more than ready to resolve the situation there. I can also build a cart for the bomb while we're travelling to the cist. Whatever is carrying the bomb won't survive the blast anyway, so there's no point in throwing away a crystal construct when using a simple cart achieves the same thing."

Create a second 50lbs bomb with a regular fuse. The first one required 5 chemical and 15 structural junk, for a cost of 50 fathoms.
Once the bomb has been created, give it to Polyantha along with 100 fathoms.

Also buy 20 structural, mechanical, electrical and chemical junk for 320 fathoms total.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[8] Done.

You get a black lacquer box with a silver nameplate that reads "Peculiar Rose".  Inside is what appears to be a sculpture of a very thorny rose and stem. The stem is made of some kind of silvery metal, the rose of some kind of polished red stone.

Ok.

I think it would be fine, since its targeting something there was no real specific boost to yet. I dunno. HEY SY! what do you think?
Pending the result of this, can we perhaps do that call with Leon's disciple? If yes, start that now please. Be sure to inform Ashul in case he wants to sit in for it.

Also, remember that crystal weapon/beaker artifact I have? Take a look at it with wizard eyes, and try to figure out how one should use/activate it. Ask Clate if I can't figure it out.

Well, we can assume you know about their use, ie to cause a localized EN effect. Other than that probably nothing honestly.
So if the idea hinges on either knowing/realizing that Clate's crystal babies (or creatures like these) can use black knives, I could not play around with that idea, correct? Because you told me before that they have to be used 'with intent', so I know that IC'ly still, but I dunno if Adam would ever realize that crystal babies of limited sentience can still fulfill this intent clause if he hadn't seen it happen.

Adam, Alex, Kara. I have enchanted the Explosive that Alex has prepped for use in my quest. I request that our next location is back to the Cist, or near enough that I can use the crawler to proceed. I believe I have everything necessary to complete the task set before me, though a device to carry the explosive would be helpful. Any who share the goal of eliminating this threat to humanity are welcome to join me in this task, thoug hI recommend that our less ... stable recruits be carefully supervised during the conflict.
Are there any significant tasks that prevent us from departing immediately?

"I will, of course, assist you in this holy purge any way I can. Are you truly sure we are ready, though? Perhaps I can still try to figure out how to use the crystal weapon I found, just to have a backup.

I still have a call to make with Leon's disciple, but other than that there is nothing else so urgent that it couldn't wait. As for a method to carry the bomb, we could probably construct something to do so, or perhaps brother Clate could have one of his crystal servants perform that task? Assuming he is willing to assist us again in our new attempt of course."

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

[8]
That beaker contains a highly dangerous substance that destroys organic life. Contact based.

No...since you'd have no memory of them using it. Or existing. Theoretically you could figure this out with tests but you have to think of ways to get around the weirdness of EN erasing reality to "remember" it.

And yes, you can start the call now.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: June 03, 2020, 12:11:46 pm »

Buy Grappling Hook, ask around to find out if anyone in town knows about crystal conduits or possible locations of them
((I’ve added the grappling hook to inventory and subtracted 10 fathoms, I know Clate would know about crystal conduits, but maybe some people in town are historians or something and might also know some things about them as well))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2943 on: June 03, 2020, 04:02:45 pm »

placeholder action so I don't forget to edit my inventory. And .... edited

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: June 03, 2020, 04:14:44 pm »

That beaker contains a highly dangerous substance that destroys organic life. Contact based.
And how is it supposed to be deployed/used? just smash the beaker into what you wanna see dead or what?

No...since you'd have no memory of them using it. Or existing. Theoretically you could figure this out with tests but you have to think of ways to get around the weirdness of EN erasing reality to "remember" it.
Is Adam aware of the fact that people who use black flames tend to lose the appendage that held it?

Let's do so then. Start by introducing ourselves, and explaining how we normally work with Leon but he's busy now so that's difficult. Explain that we have information that's very important for the church, but that I would like a secure line/personal meeting to talk over to ensure the info doesn't fall into the wrong hands. 

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: June 03, 2020, 11:09:33 pm »

((Don't forget that AsHul and Adam are Wanted by factions within the Church for our 'special gifts.'))

Hotfire90

« Reply #2946 on: June 06, 2020, 09:29:05 am »

Proceed to read the copy of the cognition magazine I received from the archive. Keep the date of publication in mind, it'll be useful as a point of reference.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2947 on: June 06, 2020, 10:41:08 am »

How much to buy a head-sized containment box and a stick with cross hairs and a trigger?
Then how much to enchant the the trigger with one-time a teleport-what-I'm-aiming-at-in-the-box enchantment?
And how much for a one-time "put what's in the box in stasis" enchantment?
I'm thinking that way it could also be useful for interrogations. Just grab someone's head and then hand it to the church so they can use diving to read their mind.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: June 06, 2020, 04:51:29 pm »

I see your point about how it would make some spheres a lot easier to get to. The attuning the spheres thing works but I don't like forcing them to spend a turn on it if only because of how slowly I update. Howabout instead we give bonuses if you're near something related to the dive. So if you want to do something with machinery, you'd need machinery instead of just "Technology". It would also let you avoid being screwed when you were doing something related to a more abstract thing like physics. Because you could just find an area that is somehow related to whatever the nature of the dive is, rather than a "Physics" area. Like if you wanted to make something float, you could go out on a pond with some floating stuff and get the bonus by connection. Seem like an idea?

I have no action I want to engage in.  Response:

Spoiler: In here (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: June 06, 2020, 05:58:17 pm »

((maybe you have to be near something related to the Dive that isn't involved in the Dive. Something other than what you are actually manipulating needs to be the source of the bonus))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: June 07, 2020, 10:17:10 am »

Just stick with Adam for now, (acting) like the good little golem/diveconstruct that I totally am.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2951 on: June 07, 2020, 10:31:09 am »

Buy Grappling Hook, ask around to find out if anyone in town knows about crystal conduits or possible locations of them
((I’ve added the grappling hook to inventory and subtracted 10 fathoms, I know Clate would know about crystal conduits, but maybe some people in town are historians or something and might also know some things about them as well))
[20]
As it turns out no one in this entire city knows anything about that. Nothing at all.

Proceed to read the copy of the cognition magazine I received from the archive. Keep the date of publication in mind, it'll be useful as a point of reference.
[12] You read the articles. There are several that seem relevant, but...you can't understand them. You can translate them to a degree but there are large swaths of words you don't understand, and even some sections you can completely translate are beyond your understanding.  Things like "Solid patterned thoughtform manifestations residing in semi-material superposition". Its a wall of technical terms and explanations that require knowledge you don't have.  The following is what you manage to piece together out of what you can understand.

1. The comet was alive, or something resembling alive. They claim it falls outside the framework for which they judge life, appearing to be a "Sapient energy/matter condensate which  macroscopically manifests unknown phenomena." There are mentions of shifting or unstable physical phenomena that defy understood physics.
2. The Comet's trajectory is locked to Earth and it is maneuvering to reach it. Attempts to intercept are either avoided or shrugged off.
3. Defenses are being established for when it reaches the planet. Reactions to its existence range from fear to religious worship.
4. The "Tail" of the comet is several hundred million miles long and is not made of the same matter as the comet's core. Whatever it is, that matter appears to be alive as well.

How much to buy a head-sized containment box and a stick with cross hairs and a trigger?
Then how much to enchant the the trigger with one-time a teleport-what-I'm-aiming-at-in-the-box enchantment?
And how much for a one-time "put what's in the box in stasis" enchantment?
I'm thinking that way it could also be useful for interrogations. Just grab someone's head and then hand it to the church so they can use diving to read their mind.

Box: Assuming diving enhanced containment container, 30 fathoms.
Stick: 3 fathoms and a weird look.
Teleport: Single use, 15. Repeated use, 72. Target must be within 100 meters of the box.

Just stick with Adam for now, (acting) like the good little golem/diveconstruct that I totally am.

Ok.

And how is it supposed to be deployed/used? just smash the beaker into what you wanna see dead or what?

Is Adam aware of the fact that people who use black flames tend to lose the appendage that held it?

Let's do so then. Start by introducing ourselves, and explaining how we normally work with Leon but he's busy now so that's difficult. Explain that we have information that's very important for the church, but that I would like a secure line/personal meeting to talk over to ensure the info doesn't fall into the wrong hands. 

No idea how it was intended to be used, but anything that gets it on the target should work.

Considering there are probably plenty of stories of pilgrims waking up with the stump of a limb they never had bleeding for no reason, we can assume it can be inferred by most what the flame's use and consequences are.

Your contact tells you that the easiest secure line to get would be in the nearest church. He gives you a code to tell them, so that you can use the line, and tells you he will be waiting for your contact.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:58 am »

Your contact tells you that the easiest secure line to get would be in the nearest church. He gives you a code to tell them, so that you can use the line, and tells you he will be waiting for your contact.

Do as instructed. Then try to confirm I am indeed speaking to Leon's disciple. Should nothing suspicious pop up, start explaining about that cult that some of our teammates found, and how we tracked them down and found out that it was part of an organized anti-church conspiracy. Then mention that we managed to acquire a number of papers documenting the cult that could help us track down the rest of the conspirators, as well as a heavily-enchanted chest of unknown contents that belonged to them.

Finally, offer that we are willing to give them the documents in return for some compensation for our efforts as well as the promise to be kept in the loop so that we could help with tracking down the cult in the future (aka to ensure this questline doesn't get closed off).

Oh, and mention that we 'found' some ancient crystal people texts that we would be willing to sell them a copy of, provided they assist us with the copying process.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: June 10, 2020, 11:06:59 am »

Sticking with my boy Adam and acting like a simple construct. Keep an eye on our surroundings and the people he's with while he does his thing. Occasionally do a crystal sense sonar ping if we're inside a room or enclosed space, to check for potential hostiles creeping up on us around the corner

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2954 on: June 10, 2020, 11:35:37 am »

Do as instructed. Then try to confirm I am indeed speaking to Leon's disciple. Should nothing suspicious pop up, start explaining about that cult that some of our teammates found, and how we tracked them down and found out that it was part of an organized anti-church conspiracy. Then mention that we managed to acquire a number of papers documenting the cult that could help us track down the rest of the conspirators, as well as a heavily-enchanted chest of unknown contents that belonged to them.

Finally, offer that we are willing to give them the documents in return for some compensation for our efforts as well as the promise to be kept in the loop so that we could help with tracking down the cult in the future (aka to ensure this questline doesn't get closed off).

Oh, and mention that we 'found' some ancient crystal people texts that we would be willing to sell them a copy of, provided they assist us with the copying process.

Sticking with my boy Adam and acting like a simple construct. Keep an eye on our surroundings and the people he's with while he does his thing. Occasionally do a crystal sense sonar ping if we're inside a room or enclosed space, to check for potential hostiles creeping up on us around the corner

After explaining what you found, Leon's disciple, who you are convinced is legitimate, considers for a long moment

"I can offer compensation personally. I have accounts for this sort of thing. However, I cannot guarantee further information about the cult or our actions regarding it. I can offer guarantees that I will do my best to be allowed to give you that information and will advocate on your behalf, but I am limited in terms of what I can promise on my own. If you would like I can run this information to my superiors and try to get you those promises before you hand anything over, but it may take time."

"We would be interested in the text, however not to a degree where my interaction is needed. Take it to our archives in Empyrean and they will handle the process."

(If everyone else is just waiting to leave, me and Radio can handle anything else via PMs)
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 231