Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 385911 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3225 on: September 10, 2020, 10:07:35 am »

[/spoiler]
Go into town and ask about life support systems for movers, figure out how much they cost, or what materials would be needed to craft them, etc.

Picking in on this since Paris isn't around, price checks for the following options per his last action:
- turn the entire interior of the thing into a livable space? Basically turn it into a bore itself.
- Or do we wanna like...basically install a metal pod inside it where people can survive? Bare minimum for survivability.

- Diving suit with a permanent heat blocking enchantment like the ones that protect bore paths through magma from melting. It's the most expensive because its basically a very high level, focused enchantment. 
- A lower level version would be one that, rather than just magically ward off heat would instead shift it to something else. This is what is commonly used for temporary passages though magma; they'll link the heat from the suit to something like a tungsten heat sink and until that heat sink reaches the temp of the magma, it will absorb the heat for it.
-  The final one you could do is a purely technological choice of linking a suit to the life support system and running coolant through it. Need an umbilical for that of course, and it will limit your range.

Additionally, see if I can create diving suits through stoneforming that are functional for my squishier comrades to wear, with the plan of having them enchanted with heat resistance later.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3226 on: September 10, 2020, 11:51:03 am »

3. Ah ok. Did you want to wait for nerve to recover for that? Mr. 14-6 nerve.

Of course. As I indicated in the original action:

Could I test out my wizard eyes in the diving vault? If yes, first rest again to let the nerve points restore (if not allowed disregard the test this turn). Buy a set of metal plates with numbers on them (say 1 through 10, how many fathoms per plate?) and try to delete one of them in the middle (hopefully if it works through En'ing them then the gap in the series will tip Adam off). Or maybe just focus on them really hard like and see what happens.   

So yeah, if you'll allow rapid inter-mission nerve recovery, then do the test. If not then please tell me when the nerve has recovered.

Also, thanks for the sphere description, added to wiki.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

[4][16]
You look at your set of numbered plates and realize suddenly you forgot to get a "7" plate. Maybe the man forgot to give it to you? Or you forgot to order it? Hmm. Odd.

I'm now wondering about what kind of water cycle this place has.  If they dump all their waste water down towards the magma, it's gonna turn into steam and come right back up.  And since there's enough water above that it leaks, and they have so much water that they dump some amount of it without using it, this place is probably super humid at the very least.  I'm kinda more interested in this than the actual bounty quest.

Of course, Nyw is a heroic idiot, so blah.

Send Gus and Baxter back to the bore to inform the others.  This sounds like it's going to be a long bounty again.  Nyw himself will go explore the aqueduct system; he'll try to keep to tunnels that humans could survive in, since they likely don't have specialized transport, but since he's undead he might as well check even some flooded tunnels.  Just look for signs of regular passage, or people in general.  It'd be awesome to stumble across some little base used by slavers, but they probably just use these as a safe route to travel through...

EDIT: If the moth and bird want to ride on Nyw's shoulders and act as gun turrets, that's A-okay with him!

It is super humid. And super foggy a lot of the time. There's also basically a persistent wind blowing up from below because of the steam formation. Everything is basically constantly shiny with condensation or damp. The libraries have double doors and systems to keep the damp out and most people have similar things for their homes. Centralized, contained air systems are everywhere to provide air conditioning and keep interiors dry. Its quite a lot of work but it sprung up as an issue as the city itself was built and like european streets its not the best system, but fixing it now would be catastrophically expensive and laborious. So enjoy your swamp-ass. Well, you don't sweat or really mind heat so its fine. Your young wards are pretty sweaty though.
[20]
Oh good Nyw is doing things, follow him and help him with climbing up the aqueducts if necessary.
Spoiler: Birb (click to show/hide)
Paris seems to be comatose for the time being, so I guess I'll go with Nyw for the sake of having something to do.
Be behind the Tank, keep my eyes open for anything useful. By which I mean analyze for usefulness anything I or Nyw happen to notice, because my eyes are always open yet I'm bad at noticing things.

If the water in the aqueduct would be a problem for me but not for Nyw, request to ride on his shoulders. You know, like a gun turret.

Spoiler: here's a moth (click to show/hide)
[11,6,8]
The aqueduct exploration goes well for about 3 minutes before  the group hears a rumbling noise. Moments later a wall of water surges down the channel and yanks all three of them off their feet and down the channel. They whip about through tunnels and open air for what seems like a gasping, flailing, half drowning eternity before they catch hold of something and weather the rest of the surge. When its over they find themselves in what appears to be a disused section of the channels, though the section they're in is clearly wet it seems to be overflow, and the tunnels a bit beyond it are quite dry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go into town and ask about life support systems for movers, figure out how much they cost, or what materials would be needed to craft them, etc.
[/spoiler]

Picking in on this since Paris isn't around, price checks for the following options per his last action:
- turn the entire interior of the thing into a livable space? Basically turn it into a bore itself.
- Or do we wanna like...basically install a metal pod inside it where people can survive? Bare minimum for survivability.

- Diving suit with a permanent heat blocking enchantment like the ones that protect bore paths through magma from melting. It's the most expensive because its basically a very high level, focused enchantment. 
- A lower level version would be one that, rather than just magically ward off heat would instead shift it to something else. This is what is commonly used for temporary passages though magma; they'll link the heat from the suit to something like a tungsten heat sink and until that heat sink reaches the temp of the magma, it will absorb the heat for it.
-  The final one you could do is a purely technological choice of linking a suit to the life support system and running coolant through it. Need an umbilical for that of course, and it will limit your range.

Additionally, see if I can create diving suits through stoneforming that are functional for my squishier comrades to wear, with the plan of having them enchanted with heat resistance later.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

2. 300

3. 180 a piece
4. 75
5. 55

Not really, not unless you're gonna basically move it for them since its made of rock. Also, it wouldn't be very thermally protective for long.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 10, 2020, 12:38:45 pm »

Well I think it's a good idea to very quickly move into those dry tunnels
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:43:34 pm by m1895 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: September 11, 2020, 03:05:12 am »

You look at your set of numbered plates and realize suddenly you forgot to get a "7" plate. Maybe the man forgot to give it to you? Or you forgot to order it? Hmm. Odd.
How strange!~ Go ask the person whom I bought the metal plates from what he thinks happened according to him. Did I forget to order it, or did he forget to deliver it?

Also, a question: when I asked before on how I can lvl my wizard eyes you said:

Also, can I spend skillpoints toward my wizardeyes?
No. You can level them up but not...like that.
Could you explain to me how it works then please?
When the time comes, it will be explained, but you haven't yet gotten something to allow it.

Any more news/info on this front, or do I just need to keep waiting? Or would Adam perhaps have an idea by now as to what he might need to allow it?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:09:03 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 12, 2020, 09:18:15 am »

Clate goes up to Kara and Rhea to "talk". He also sends the message over the radio in morse to Adam and whatever other teammembers might be listening in.
After some market research by friend Rhea and myself, it would seem the startup costs of a Molten Heart expedition are less than I had feared. Converting the crystal walker to have environmental support suitable for you guys would cost us about 500 fathoms, while top of the line environmental suits are about 180 a piece. The team fund could fund this easily. I personally will not require one of those suits, and I could sponsor at least 1 if the team thinks the drain on the team fund is too much.

So, what do you think? Should we attempt an expedition to the Molten Heart? Or should we put it off and head towards the Crystal Tree instead?

Personally I am hoping to reactivate the Overmind as soon as possible, but I understand if you guys do not feel the same way.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:34:59 am by Pancaek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:41 am »

After hearing Clate's message, then asking to repeat it so he can actually decipher the morse code, Adam responds over the radio:
"As long as you are sure that these precautions are sufficient to protect us from a short and fiery death, and that restarting the overmind won't turn our brains into novelty crystal trinkets, I'm all good with this, and I will happy to help out with this endeavour."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:25 am »

After hearing Clate's message, then asking to repeat it so he can actually decipher the morse code, Adam responds over the radio:
"As long as you are sure that these precautions are sufficient to protect us from a short and fiery death, and that restarting the overmind won't turn our brains into novelty crystal trinkets, I'm all good with this, and I will happy to help out with this endeavour."
The precautions should work. The expensive environmental suits I proposed use the same enchantments that bores use to walk through magma.
As for the Overmind, when we talked in the crystal ruins it seemed amicable to cooperation with the other races. It is nothing if not patient, so suddenly turning on those who are helping it seems far fetched.

By the way, friend Kara, why did you orignally look into upgrading the crystal mover instead of upgrading our current bore? Perhaps upgrading the heat shielding of the bore will also benefit us in the future?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:06:53 am by Pancaek »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 12, 2020, 01:27:29 pm »

I’ll give my 100 fathoms towards the adding of life support systems, leaving 400 requisite fathoms remaining
Put my 100 fathoms in the team fund for the life support for the crystal mover

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3233 on: September 14, 2020, 09:27:18 am »

I’ll give my 100 fathoms towards the adding of life support systems, leaving 400 requisite fathoms remaining
Put my 100 fathoms in the team fund for the life support for the crystal mover
Your charity is noted.

How strange!~ Go ask the person whom I bought the metal plates from what he thinks happened according to him. Did I forget to order it, or did he forget to deliver it?

Also, a question: when I asked before on how I can lvl my wizard eyes you said:

Also, can I spend skillpoints toward my wizardeyes?
No. You can level them up but not...like that.
Could you explain to me how it works then please?
When the time comes, it will be explained, but you haven't yet gotten something to allow it.

Any more news/info on this front, or do I just need to keep waiting? Or would Adam perhaps have an idea by now as to what he might need to allow it?

You return to the seller and ask him about the missing 7 plate. He doesn't remember you having asked for one, though he's pretty vague on the whole thing honestly. Has a hard time remembering your order in general.

As per that...Well I'll give you a hint: Those eyes of yours are Heretical. Diving requires  an object of faith, so further use of those eyes requires something similar.

Well I think it's a good idea to very quickly move into those dry tunnels

We'll assume all three of you scoot over there. These tunnels appear disused. They're either older tunnels that have been decommissioned  or they're spill over tunnels. [11] You notice, on the stone floor, the faintest outline of a footprint. Someone with wet shoes walked here and left a water stain. Its heading back up the way you came, but through these unused aqueducts. 

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 16, 2020, 08:43:29 am »

You return to the seller and ask him about the missing 7 plate. He doesn't remember you having asked for one, though he's pretty vague on the whole thing honestly. Has a hard time remembering your order in general.
Order a new one but let's wait a while before trying again, I'd rather not En my brain by overdoing it or whatever.

As per that...Well I'll give you a hint: Those eyes of yours are Heretical. Diving requires  an object of faith, so further use of those eyes requires something similar.
Hmm, I'm a bit surprised these eyes would count explicitly as heretical given how they came to be, but ok then. Does Adam have any idea what a 'heretical artifact' could be/look like, or where to find more information regarding it? Also, could you perhaps expound more on the nature of what makes something 'Heretical'? 

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3235 on: September 17, 2020, 09:37:45 am »

Order a new one but let's wait a while before trying again, I'd rather not En my brain by overdoing it or whatever.

Hmm, I'm a bit surprised these eyes would count explicitly as heretical given how they came to be, but ok then. Does Adam have any idea what a 'heretical artifact' could be/look like, or where to find more information regarding it? Also, could you perhaps expound more on the nature of what makes something 'Heretical'? 

Okie dokie. one 7 plate coming up.  Lets call it 1 fathom since I can't split the currency ~

Heretical is a bit of an odd concept round these parts. Essentially anything which would adulterate or modify the works of the god of black flame is considered heretical. So when you modified the word of god that gave you these eyes, you made them heretical. Hence why they can penetrate any mundane barrier but cannot see the works of god or anything similarly miraculous.  A heretical artifact similarly would be anything considered a divine artifact that has been changed. Changed on the level of its properties, not just like smashed or something.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:19 am »

Down the disused tunnels, then!  See where the path, and hopefully the footprints, lead!  Onwards, to adventure!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #3237 on: September 17, 2020, 10:41:02 am »

Down the disused tunnels, then!  See where the path, and hopefully the footprints, lead!  Onwards, to adventure!

Aye, and into terrifying danger...
If something dangerous presents itself, hide behind the big guy. Literally, use him as concealment and try to not be noticed.

Spoiler: here's a moth (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 17, 2020, 02:00:42 pm »

follow Nyw, revolver at the ready

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 18, 2020, 03:02:01 am »

Heretical is a bit of an odd concept round these parts. Essentially anything which would adulterate or modify the works of the god of black flame is considered heretical. So when you modified the word of god that gave you these eyes, you made them heretical. Hence why they can penetrate any mundane barrier but cannot see the works of god or anything similarly miraculous.  A heretical artifact similarly would be anything considered a divine artifact that has been changed. Changed on the level of its properties, not just like smashed or something.

And where are such things usually found?

How many fathoms would it take for the following enchantments/modifications to be performed:
1) provide heat&pressure protection for a teleporter knfie so it can be used for the molten heart mission
2) provide heat&pressure protection for a destination portal so it can be used for the molten heart mission

Also, do the dive to try and fix the large destination portal like we discussed before. Do it inside the diving vault to roll ad adcantage, use a +3 sacrifice for it. Reinforce Noth and Xi 6 times.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:11:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 231