Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 381195 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3360 on: November 23, 2020, 04:40:15 pm »

Help Clate, if I can.

If there's nothing I can help with, then go back to the corpses and give them appropriate last rites from what I know of their culture, before checking them for any identifying marks or equipment of religious or cultural significance that might be of interest to someone in modern times. Maybe some more Korax idols or mole people jewels to add to my collection, stuff I can use to maybe pique their interest and gain their favour so I can hopefully open a dialogue or trade with them so I can learn more about them.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3361 on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:50 pm »

Seems like you never actually gave a price for how much this bounty would pay?  I looked back and didn't find it, anyway.  We rescued... I think six kids?  And retrieved the abomination who perpetuated the crime, alive?  How much is that worth?  As far as pay, I think Swis, Wiellste, and the NPCs were the only ones who assisted.  Prolly not gonna pay Wiellste (Egan) on account of him not posting much, though.

Also, stay with the wolfman while the police process him.  After last time, I don't want to let it out of Nyw's sight.  Do the police bring in a translator?  If not, give fathoms to one of the hirelings (they brought the kids in, so should be here) to find a translator.  Otherwise, send them to retrieve a representative of the church.

Lets call it 500 Fathoms eh?

A representative of the church comes almost immediately after they put the wolfman in a cell. He looks like he's about to take the wolfman away somewhere so you intercept him to ask some questions before the both of them vanish forever. [1] For whatever reason the man seems willing to answer basically any question Nyw puts to him.

"Yep, very...interesting bore. Do you kind if I take a look inside?"
Wäreige keeps examining the bore, making rapid fire comments about numeric things as (distance unit) to (time unit), and power equivalent to various animals, seemingly just to prove that he knows a lot.
"Yep, very...interesting bore. Do you kind if I take a look inside?"
Wäreige keeps examining the bore, making rapid fire comments about numeric things as (distance unit) to (time unit), and power equivalent to various animals, seemingly just to prove that he knows a lot.
Sure, but I’m coming with you so I know you’re not taking anything. Yes, the bore is interesting, guess I haven’t paid much attention to it before
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go inside with Wareige, also make sure he doesn’t take anything
Wareige scrambles about, speaking rapidly about the technical specs of the bore and thinking out loud as he attempts to understand the odd Frankenstein structure of it. Rhea just follows along behind, nodding, making sure the new weirdo doesn't scamper off with the silverware or something.

Help Clate, if I can.

If there's nothing I can help with, then go back to the corpses and give them appropriate last rites from what I know of their culture, before checking them for any identifying marks or equipment of religious or cultural significance that might be of interest to someone in modern times. Maybe some more Korax idols or mole people jewels to add to my collection, stuff I can use to maybe pique their interest and gain their favour so I can hopefully open a dialogue or trade with them so I can learn more about them.

1. Go check out those controls for the weapon that Kara spotted under the lava. Can I make sense of them? Do they seem complete? If not, go take another swim through the library to hopefully found some kind of manual.

2. Try and figure out if I can alter the signal of the weapon via stoneforming. Try and approach this in two ways: either altering the weapon directly, or stoneforming some kind of adapter that inverts/adaps the signal. See whichever seems more likely to work.

3. Think about how to reattach the weapon. Can I stoneform sort of in-between parts that Kara or Adam can slot in between the weapon and the spikes that held it, to form in-between connections? I also still have a pseudomagnetic mortar that I picked up in a crystal ruin, could they use that?

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
1. [9] The control panel or whatever you'd actually call this thing, Seems to have a variety of functions. The one that seems most important is the ability to begin converting heat into usable energy and to choose where it is routed to. At the moment the entire structure is basically running on minimal power, with none really going to the weapon enclosure. Activating the weapon seems to just be a matter of directing the power to that structure...enough to pass a certain threshold you think.

2. [17] You don't think you can do this by hand, as it were. Maybe there's a tool specifically designed for making these things? Or maybe you could create one yourself?

3. Stone forming exactly matching ends might work...but it might not. Mortar might also work...or might insulate it and block it.  If the energy can leap the gap so to speak, it should be fine to just fit the ends together. But it might require more energy due to loss from the jump. Or it might not transfer at all. It might be worth trying.

For reattaching the weapon core:  would a dive with Balarim and Sige (and maybe some Es?) work to properly instal it? If yes, about how many reinforcements for each?

Assist Pancaek with his weapon modification by wizard eyeing the core to see what his alterations do and try to steer him in the right direction.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Reconnecting them should be easy, just fusing the stone back together. Maybe 2 each?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 25, 2020, 04:37:34 am »

"If you need me to reattach it, the required dive should be fairly easy."

Look around the complex for anything that seems like it is suited/meant for either making or modifying those weapon orbs.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:54 am »

That is excellent news, friend Adam. I could perhaps create some sort of adapters or couple pieces to reattach it, but they're not at all guaranteed to work.

Good news though, I found the controls for this place under the lava there and it seems like they're still functional.

Bad news, I don't think I can adjust the weapon's resonance manually. I believe there must be a device or tool here somewhere that either created these weapons or was used to adjust existing ones. Now I just have to actually find it.

Search the complex for the tool needed to make/adjust the orb. Maybe go take a swim through the crystal library again, they might have specific instructions for that, now that I better know what I'm looking for.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 28, 2020, 09:58:42 am »

Enter... The Bore!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3365 on: November 29, 2020, 09:44:11 am »

Enter... The Bore!
He is already in the bore....unless by "enter the bore" you mean in a sexual fashion. In which case I think rhea would stop you. Probably.

That is excellent news, friend Adam. I could perhaps create some sort of adapters or couple pieces to reattach it, but they're not at all guaranteed to work.

Good news though, I found the controls for this place under the lava there and it seems like they're still functional.

Bad news, I don't think I can adjust the weapon's resonance manually. I believe there must be a device or tool here somewhere that either created these weapons or was used to adjust existing ones. Now I just have to actually find it.

Search the complex for the tool needed to make/adjust the orb. Maybe go take a swim through the crystal library again, they might have specific instructions for that, now that I better know what I'm looking for.

Look around the complex for anything that seems like it is suited/meant for either making or modifying those weapon orbs.

[3]
You both find the tool in quick order: To anyone other than a crystal person it would look something like a sink or an effectively meaningless block with a divot in it. Its very nonchalant as far as programming tools for world changing super weapons go. But the divot fits the orb perfectly and and Clate can see that merging himself with the block would enable the block to automatically rewrite or edit the "intent" of the orb based on his desires.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 29, 2020, 10:34:53 am »

Suppose I were to use some of Clate's crystal constructs as sacrifices for that dive we discussed before, how much of a bonus would they be worth?

Secondly, is diving in this place done at neutral, or at advantage, since it's pretty secure and deserted?

If Clate attempts orb reshaping this turn, use wizard eyes to help however I can.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 29, 2020, 05:50:34 pm »

Well, this should be fairly straightforward

Do the thing: place the rob in the divot and merge with the tool to rewrite the orb, so that it will transmit the inverted signal.
Once I'm done, un-merge myself again[/b

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3368 on: November 30, 2020, 11:34:15 pm »

"Do you think we should destroy this thing once we're done? Or at least take it with us? Given how dangerous this thing can be, I don't think leaving it  where one could easily use it is a good idea. It's one wrong command away from destroying the underworld."

Help in any way I can.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: December 01, 2020, 10:43:35 am »

"Do you think we should destroy this thing once we're done? Or at least take it with us? Given how dangerous this thing can be, I don't think leaving it  where one could easily use it is a good idea. It's one wrong command away from destroying the underworld."

I'm not sure about destroying this facility, if only because I'm sure it can be repurposed for something better. But I wouldn't mind taking the keys out of the engine for the time being, so to speak. If we do manage to fix the current signal, we wouldn't want anyone to turn around and immediately screw up the weapon again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3370 on: December 02, 2020, 09:48:11 am »

Help in any way I can.

Well, this should be fairly straightforward

Do the thing: place the rob in the divot and merge with the tool to rewrite the orb, so that it will transmit the inverted signal.
Once I'm done, un-merge myself again[/b

[?]
Clate merges himself into the machine and thinks carefully about what he wants the signal to do. The Orb glows a faint blue and makes noises like glass cracking before it settles down again. After a moment the process seems to be done.

Suppose I were to use some of Clate's crystal constructs as sacrifices for that dive we discussed before, how much of a bonus would they be worth?

Secondly, is diving in this place done at neutral, or at advantage, since it's pretty secure and deserted?

If Clate attempts orb reshaping this turn, use wizard eyes to help however I can.

Probably +5.

Advantage, assuming you take a second to sit down, center yourself, plan your dive, etc.

You glance at the orb. Looks...ok? Looks honestly a lot like it did before to you. You can peer at its innards but that doesn't exactly explain their function to you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »

"Brother Clate, on your command I'm ready to go."

Let's do the dive to reconnect the thingie then if nobody objects.

Place the orb inside of he holder we want to reconnect it to. Tie some rope around me and give the other end to Clate in case he needs to pull me out (or if no rope available, maybe he can crystal shape me something?)

Sit down near the entrance and meditate for a while until I'm calm and ready to go (to roll at advantage). Sacrifice a crystal baby, Clate can choose which one.

Dive to Balarim and Sige, reinforce each 3 times to properly reconnect the orb to the rest of the structure.

((I feel somewhat secure for the nerve roll, we're taking every precaution we can, but the material roll could be a real doozy. But there's nothing I can do to help with that, so yeah, fingers crossed.))

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:09:29 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:10 pm »

Clate emerges from the tool with the sphere in hand. Well, in appendage.

Well, I changed something about it. But I can't say for sure what I did was correct. Only one way to find, I suppose.

Yes, friend Adam, let's reconnect this thing.

Give the orb to Adam to reconnect it. Also give him crystal baby nr.5, the crystal praying mantis, to sacrifice. Do the rope thing in case he needs to be pulled out.

If his dive is successful, have Kara and/or Adam check that the connections seem good. If they do seem okay, go back to the control panel and check if things seem okay there as well. If at that point everything seems good to go, attempt to power up the weapon.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3373 on: December 04, 2020, 10:37:41 am »

Help in any way I can. Be on standby to boop Adam on the snoot if he gets possessed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3374 on: December 05, 2020, 01:54:33 pm »

[A bunch of rolls]
Reconnection of the weapon is easy, especially in these circumstances. Kara holds it in place while Adam fuses the stone back together. It costs time and the "lives" of several crystal automata, but it all comes together flawlessly. After a complete check using his super human vision Adam affirms the crystal is all back in place, right down to the crystalline "Grain".  With these assurances Clate travels into the deeper, lava submerged section of the complex and tinkers with the controls.  The controls read all green; no abnormal power reactions or other strange occurrences. Everything looks ready. 

Clate slowly raises the power being drawn from the magma and the temperature in the entire structure rises along with it. He pushes it towards what he believes to be the threshold, directing it into the weapon chamber and condensing it there. After several minutes he finally pushes it over the threshold. When the weapon activates the entire structure rings like a bell and the energy and heat that had been building suddenly vanishes. Everyone waits in silence as the ringing slowly subsides.

[2]
Clate feels something change. As though he was standing on the shore of a lake and was then suddenly plunged into it. The world becomes denser, thicker, its movements and flow felt effortlessly. His sense of the stone around him is no longer bound to a hundred feet or so, it extends out for...miles maybe. He feels as though the entire earth around him is his body and will obey him with the same ease as moving his own limbs. And something else moves as well. A presence presses down on him like a great weight, trying to subsume his mind or...perhaps to merge with it?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 231