Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 384536 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Heresy
« Reply #3435 on: January 01, 2021, 10:22:00 am »

"Not by a long shot, but I've done all I can for now. I fear this whole endeavor is going to take a long, long time to truly be complete.

Yes, essentially. As all crystal beings are connected to the overmind, you could talk to basically any golem and I would be able to hear it. These fit in your pocket though, so they're more practical than larger golems to bring with you.

Sure thing, I'd be happy to do that.

I would certainly like for you to take the first word. Introduce us and such, since I know very little about this Leon and the Church at large, I'm afraid. Perhaps we should keep the full extent of the Overmind under wraps in the beginning stages, though it is possible the Church still has knowledge of it written down somewhere. Also the connection between all crystal people and the interconnectedness of the crystal ruins. Better that they think of them as seperate cities, functioning in the same way as you know them.

On that note, I also have this for you."

Clate holds out two crystal boxes in his crystalline shluck environmental suit arms. One each for Kara and Adam, simple boxes, perfectly grown from orchid coloured crystal.

"Each of these boxes contain a crystal toothpick, the same kind that made me into what I am today. The very first two of this era. I give these to you, as a safeguard. If....should I perish before being able to make more crystal people, I cannot allow the Overmind to become dormant once more. We have done too much and come too far to succumb to a single point of failure. All I ask is that, should I come to perish before managing to truly kickstart the new crystal race, you find someone to take up my mantle. Please."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3436 on: January 02, 2021, 06:00:51 am »

"Don't worry Clate! We won't let you down!"

According to them it appears to continue to burn without an energy source, produces no heat, does not damage substances, and produces electromagnetic waves similar to those of a functioning human brain. They have concluded that it is a "condensed thought-form".
That's quite interesting. Do they have any idea about how it was created? Could they replicate the process to turn a person into that state?

Would they be willing to sell it back to me? Or at least allow me to experiment with it as long as they can get the results back? I'm thinking, if this thing is like a human brain, then we could attach some sort of prosthetic to it to have it write to us, so that we can extract the knowledge it has.

Do I know of anything like those bacterial colony people that the Crystal people traded with for knowledge? Is there a chance I could find them near the section of the map marked bacterial, the "Sulfurous Maze"?
Its entirely possible. Not many people go there so there's not much info.
Would our magma diving suits work to protect us from the toxic environment there?

Try to contact those gangsters back in Goldshore. See if I can get them to tell me what the current law about magma-mining is. If I supplied them with crystal-based magma-mining equipment, could they use that to produce gold and give me a cut of the profits? Or would it be better to have them set up a meeting with one of the big mining interests?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: January 02, 2021, 11:18:54 am »

"Thank you, Friend Kara, that means a lot to me."

As stated in RP. Give both radios and one (boxed) crystal toothpick each to Kara and Adam.

Fix up Adam's crystal telescope

Ask the overmind how it thinks I should go about this meeting with Deepwalker Leon. It surely has opinions or experiences with meetings like this in the past.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: January 02, 2021, 12:47:34 pm »

"Of course. The crystal race won't perish a second time, we'll see to that."

"I would certainly like for you to take the first word. Introduce us and such, since I know very little about this Leon and the Church at large, I'm afraid. Perhaps we should keep the full extent of the Overmind under wraps in the beginning stages, though it is possible the Church still has knowledge of it written down somewhere. Also the connection between all crystal people and the interconnectedness of the crystal ruins. Better that they think of them as seperate cities, functioning in the same way as you know them.

"I can mention you used to be Schluck but got changed due to a toothpick? And what about the fact that the crystal pvermind used to be dormant and that we resurrected it, is any off that off-limits for now?"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:52:20 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: January 03, 2021, 10:28:11 am »

"Yes, the toothpicks can be mentioned. We want to attract others to voluntarely become crystal people at some point, anyway.
The overmind as well can be mentioned. I'll leave it up to your involvement in its resurrection you mention. You can say it was I alone who did it, if you think your involvement might bring into trouble with your church or something."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3440 on: January 04, 2021, 10:07:38 am »

By the way, did we lvl-up already from the crystal ruin restoration (or was it too short for one)? I forget. If we do lvl-up, could you roll it for me please? (with a little luck it'll help for the dive this turn).

Quickly test the crystal lens telescope.

Suppose I wanted to go and find myself a necromancer to acquire a heretical artifact, are there any ones that are 'known'? We once met that one guy when he retrieved his zombies, but are there any other known ones? And where could I find them, or find someone who could bring me to one? Finally, what sort of thing could I offer in exchange, some sort of item or maybe certain knowledge?

Let my mind rest for a while to let any mind points reset. Then let's make another teleporter knife.
Use a +3 diving sacrifice. Do the dive in the church diving vault to roll at advantage.
Move to Noth, then to Xi. Reinforce Noth and Xi 10 times each.
This allows the entrance portal to be made when 'cutting' with the portal knife while the selection dial is pressed down a bit. The position of the selection dial determines which destination portal is used, with the rune (or number or whatever) on the dial corresponding to a rune on the destination portal. So, if a portal doorway ever gets destroyed, that destination is not reachable, but making a new portal with the same rune reestablishes the connection. Trying to open a portal while the dial is set to a rune with no corresponding destination portal doorway means the connection is denied and opens no portal. Closing the portal from the knife side can be done by doing the same cutting motion in the reverse direction. Once open, the portal is two-way. A single rune on the dial is meant to act as a 'wildcard' to connect to a destination with no rune on it, for situations where we need to eg. define the destination doorway as a hole in the ground (as per the example you gave: "That would probably help somewhat: defining the edges I mean. but thats again more related to the nature of the dive. You could map the edges to a crate or a hole in the ground or just about anything.")

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: level up (click to show/hide)

Telescope works.

[9] The ruins attached to the giant worm tunnel are thought to be one of their hideouts. I've sent you an image on discord.

Ok....-2 nerve. Results are as designated. Using the old set up from previous rolls.

...I am going to take 100% of the bounty for that mission, becuase none of the people who helped seem to still be playing.

Buy a glass eye rifle, and another tunnel clearer, and give them to Gus and Baxter, the adventure kids.  They can choose which of them wants to be the sniper.  Two extra reloads for each gun (-121 fathoms)

Buy eight low-caliber ethral rifles (-140 fathoms), and two reloads for each (-16 fathoms).  These will be put somewhere on the bore for Nyw's "recruits" to use, in case they ever need to defend the bore.  These are the people Nyw freed from prison in the moth city, in trade for having provided some information on the drug cartel.

Speaking of, give them some pay for... whatever they do.  Do they cook us meals?  Clean the bore?  Are they maids?  Whatever, they get 20f per body, so -160 fathoms overall.  Hopefully that'll encourage them not to desert.

Can we buy frag grenades?  What would be the cost?  The armory has TNT, but raw explosives aren't as killy as proper grenades.  Also, how about gas grenades that would knock people out or incapacite them, like teargas?  To my understanding Nyw would be immune to such things (being a corpse), but most of the people he fights would not be.

Ok.

Gus gets the rifle, Baxter the tunnel clearer.

Done. Records gremlins, please take note!

They do general stuff if you don't give them specific work.  Mostly cleaning up and handling gruntwork like fueling, maintenance, etc.

Normal grenades sure. Lets call them..6 each. Gas grenades aren't as commonly available but you could probably find them for about 10.

"Don't worry Clate! We won't let you down!"

According to them it appears to continue to burn without an energy source, produces no heat, does not damage substances, and produces electromagnetic waves similar to those of a functioning human brain. They have concluded that it is a "condensed thought-form".
That's quite interesting. Do they have any idea about how it was created? Could they replicate the process to turn a person into that state?

Would they be willing to sell it back to me? Or at least allow me to experiment with it as long as they can get the results back? I'm thinking, if this thing is like a human brain, then we could attach some sort of prosthetic to it to have it write to us, so that we can extract the knowledge it has.

Do I know of anything like those bacterial colony people that the Crystal people traded with for knowledge? Is there a chance I could find them near the section of the map marked bacterial, the "Sulfurous Maze"?
Its entirely possible. Not many people go there so there's not much info.
Would our magma diving suits work to protect us from the toxic environment there?

Try to contact those gangsters back in Goldshore. See if I can get them to tell me what the current law about magma-mining is. If I supplied them with crystal-based magma-mining equipment, could they use that to produce gold and give me a cut of the profits? Or would it be better to have them set up a meeting with one of the big mining interests?

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
They've known about these sort of things for a while, apparently they're known as weapons humans wielded on the surface, but their methods of creation are lost to both the humans and the other races. The only ones who would know are the ancient humans; or perhaps someone associated with them.

They would, but they'd ask for more than you sold it to them for. Even experimentation would cost you. They're very covetous of their stuff. But if you convinced them you might be able to get more knowledge out of it, they might cooperate with you for free.

Yes.

There aren't a lot of "laws" in corven society.  There are cops but you have to pay them. There are jails but you have to pay them. There are inspectors but you have to pay them.  In general things are kept running through a complex series of social norms and privatized systems. A lot of the "laws" or "regulations" are just tenuous agreements between the mining groups enforced with private security and the threat of retaliation.  New equipment is gonna throw a wrench in the whole system...but they'd also be willing to pay for it and pay well. The chaos it causes isn't your issue.

"Thank you, Friend Kara, that means a lot to me."

As stated in RP. Give both radios and one (boxed) crystal toothpick each to Kara and Adam.

Fix up Adam's crystal telescope

Ask the overmind how it thinks I should go about this meeting with Deepwalker Leon. It surely has opinions or experiences with meetings like this in the past.

Done
Done
Its knowledge of the church isn't great but it tells you that the chance of converting is low. And its likely that any agreements are going to have to be not only beneficial to them but that it will have to in someway not seem like you are intruding in their space. It is easier to just kill you and keep the population for themselves; you have to give them reasons why not to do that.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 05, 2021, 03:53:25 am »

level up
Wow! What a level up! :o
More of these in the future please!

I think we're ready to go do that meeting now? If Clate is ready, go and meet Leon. Should we do the talking over discord or would you rather do it over turns?

If latter: start with some pleasantries, how is he doing, how was his pilgrimage, etc.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:39:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: January 05, 2021, 06:14:48 am »

All set to go to the meeting with Darwin. Let him take the word when meeting Leon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:21 am »

I am my own records gremlin!  I assure you, I am fair and honest in all my recordkeeping.  No cheating is afoot.

Buy four nonlethal gas grenades, and two frags (-52 fathoms).  Each adventure kid gets one gas grenade, Nyw keeps the rest.

Go out into one of the bore tunnels, away from civilization and valuable things, and test out the old guardian hatchet's magical ranged attack thing.  IIRC, using the ??? effect requires a nerve check, and if you succeed, it launches a Moonlight Greatsword-style energy blast?  I'd like Nyw to practice with it and confirm that, so I can write it down.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3444 on: January 07, 2021, 09:48:28 pm »

All set to go to the meeting with Darwin. Let him take the word when meeting Leon.

Yeah, lets do it over in discord. Will be faster. Just hit me with a post to start.

I am my own records gremlin!  I assure you, I am fair and honest in all my recordkeeping.  No cheating is afoot.

Buy four nonlethal gas grenades, and two frags (-52 fathoms).  Each adventure kid gets one gas grenade, Nyw keeps the rest.

Go out into one of the bore tunnels, away from civilization and valuable things, and test out the old guardian hatchet's magical ranged attack thing.  IIRC, using the ??? effect requires a nerve check, and if you succeed, it launches a Moonlight Greatsword-style energy blast?  I'd like Nyw to practice with it and confirm that, so I can write it down.

I'll trust you. An honored dead wouldn't lie.

Done.

That is indeed how it functions. By the way in the course of rolling for it you gained 1 point in using it so good for you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 12, 2021, 05:58:01 am »

Spoiler: discordo (click to show/hide)

Church diplomacy: done!

Regarding the necromancers, what sort of thing could I offer in exchange for a heretical artifact, some sort of item or maybe certain knowledge?

The church does dives for payment, right? Suppose that I wanted to pay them to do the dive to make a portal knife or destination. I would provide the material to be enchanted and the dive instructions. How much would they charge for 1 enchantment (for reference it's dive to Noth then Xi and reinforce each 10 times)? 

"Well then brother Clate, I hope that the meeting with the deepwalker was what you hoped for.

Now, before I forget, you still have one of the portal knives, right? As it stands you can return to the crystal by keeping the portal open, but that's not exactly convenient. I could forge you another destination portal to leave there permanently, but in that case I might have to ask you to help me fund this endeavour since my personal reserves are running a tad low. "

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3446 on: January 14, 2021, 08:48:48 am »

Necromancers tend to be extremely vain and individualistic. If you can figure out what a specific one likes, it would be a good trade. They don't really have any basic needs (food, water, etc) and don't care about money so they're rather difficult to shop for without info. But more bodies might be a good general present. That or any info that lets them get one over on their rivals. They are eternally feuding and scheming with their fellow necromancers.

Yes. Lets just generalize this as 3 gold for every sphere jumped and 2 gold for every reinforcement.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: January 14, 2021, 03:38:15 pm »

Yes. Lets just generalize this as 3 gold for every sphere jumped and 2 gold for every reinforcement.
Hmm. Alright then. It seems too cheap to me to be honest, given that diving yourself is so dangerous and having to buy sacrifices to reduce the risk also costs money.

Case in point, the +3 sacrifice costs 50 fathoms, which heavily reduces the risk but doesn't eliminate it (and doesn't guarantee the material roll will work). The full price for the dive to make a teleporter knife or portal through the church like this is 2x2x10 + 3x5 = 55 fathoms (2 times 10 reinforcements, path length of 5).

I guess one could always chose to dive sans sacrifices to make it free, but still. 

Necromancers tend to be extremely vain and individualistic. If you can figure out what a specific one likes, it would be a good trade. They don't really have any basic needs (food, water, etc) and don't care about money so they're rather difficult to shop for without info. But more bodies might be a good general present. That or any info that lets them get one over on their rivals. They are eternally feuding and scheming with their fellow necromancers.

Do I know of any specific necromancer that might be hiding out in that area? If not where could I go and find any info or at least rumors pertaining that? (I'm guessing that a big city like this is suitable for that). Basically try to look around for clues.

That location where the necromancers hang out is near a worm path, with the nearest civilization being the Shluck-settlement 'Bythos', right? Can Bythos be reached with a regular bore, or would we need to make it amphibious?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:40:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3448 on: January 18, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »

Spoiler: actual turn (click to show/hide)
This is two weeks of just RC answering. We done here guys? Everyone ready to move on? Besides RC of course. I'm pretty sure that a global thermonuclear war wouldn't stop him from sending turns to me via trained rats or something.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:17 pm »

I like the game, and would be interested in it continuing, but I imagine if you end it and start on something else we'll all enjoy that more.  I was considering having Nyw search for some kind of underground crusade to drag the crew into (along with his squad of NPC convicts and adventurers), but haven't had the motivation to pursue it--even beyond other players probably not being very interested in that.  I think I should play a more curious and adventurous character in the next game.

How close is Call of Earth to being a thing?
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231