Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.10 Released  (Read 98309 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.10 Released
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2018, 05:50:56 am »

The immovable scrolls suffer from the standard issue of visitor/invader "books" being marked with the "Trader" flag (DFHack name) that ought to be reserved for merchant goods. Using DFHack to clear the flag causes the "books" to be tasked for hauling, as usual.

The "promotion" issue should have been fixed, so presumably there's a hole in the fix.
Yeah, behavior seems to be exactly as it was before. Even down to the living soldier having to dodge the occasional crossbow bolt.

The thing with wildlife I don't recall though.

Save is here:
 http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13769

Don't think there was ever an actual report on the living troops with tower sieges. Was just discussed in these threads.

(Modded world, nothing that would cause a reverse to the tower bug by itself though).

--edit
Save is in the "region1" folder, (that's the one which actually has files in it), not the "current" folder. Very sorry for the total confusion that must cause. That and my use of 7z files which I know some people just hate.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:55:55 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2018, 03:40:07 am »

I believe saves were provided. Regardless, however, Toady found that they didn't really help, because it only showed the situation when the damage had already been done, not what that damage developed from, and it wasn't successful to get a save that reliably developed into a siege with a "handler". Thus, I think the bug fix was mostly based on deduction of what ought to be the cause, but with no real means to test it. As far as I can tell, the fix has been mostly successful as the number of incidents seem to have decreased.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2018, 03:55:16 am »

I believe saves were provided. Regardless, however, Toady found that they didn't really help, because it only showed the situation when the damage had already been done, not what that damage developed from, and it wasn't successful to get a save that reliably developed into a siege with a "handler". Thus, I think the bug fix was mostly based on deduction of what ought to be the cause, but with no real means to test it. As far as I can tell, the fix has been mostly successful as the number of incidents seem to have decreased.
How many tower sieges have you faced in 44.10? I'm just writing from experience of one, so can't really tell if this means the fix has been reversed or if I've found a rare occurrence which wasn't fixed the first time around. Seems like a binary thing though, raise living troops, don't raise living troops. But perhaps it's more complex than that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2018, 08:13:41 am »

0... Both because I haven't resumed my fortress yet and because the necro tower has depleted itself, as usual. They're not good at "recruiting"...

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2018, 12:15:01 pm »

It's happened 3 times in a row now that Goblin sieges and Elven sieges arrive or de-cloak at the same time. They end up killing each other and I mop up the rest. While I don't mind this, it seems silly that these warbands don't have the common sense to either evade each other or duke it out amongst themselves somewhere off my map. Having two sieges at once happen repeatedly is hurting immersion a little.

JezaGaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2018, 04:34:59 am »

My biggest problem with the new memories is that I have no practical way to manage my dwarves to prevent the squeamish ones to see bodies.

I have 200+ dwarves, I have to go to each of them and check his thoughts to see if they were traumatized by seeing a corpse, if so they have to be removed from hauling refuse because I have no way to tell them to only haul non scary refuse like wool for example and even then if they go to the butcher workshop to get that wool they might see an animal body and freak oh or go dispose of some vermin remains and go to my secluded walled off refuse pile where the bodies are.
I also obviously have to remove them from the cleaning crew, because they could be sent cleaning blood and some body parts could still be there.
Oh and don't forget push/pulling vehicles because you never know what will be in them.
Oh and of course remove him from butchering/tanning too.

Then once I've done that with the 200+ dwarves once I have to do it again every season or so because sometimes one dwarf was not showing anything just by pure luck (hand't had contact with those bodies yet) but it changed since.

Then comes an invasion and I fight it off, ok so make sure to forbid all dead items because those squeamish dwarves are still on the list of item haulers and could have a fright, wait for weeks that all the bodies have been buried/disposed off in my enclosed garbage pile and then painstakingly unforbid everything. But , wait that dwarf still got a fright going to the river to fish/get back some of our ammunition that were from before the siege or get some item I hadn't seen that was from before the siege....

So having some dwarves in your fort that aren't fit to stand the stress of dead bodies, that's ok, if I have a practical way to manage it.

First part of the equation being having a specific "flag" in the dwarves personality that would let me know that one cannot see bodies, but this one will get used to it in time if there is no other stress in his life and this one doesn't care. Also if a migrant comes with a butcher job active, he cannot be squeamish, wouldn't make sense.Same with any in the medical profession or with high fighting skills.

Second would be a way to prevent them from going near those bodies, maybe a "job" that if activated would prevent the dwarf to do anything related to death ? Like hauling items would be on but they wouldn't haul items from dead bodies, would only haul "refuse" like wool etc from stockpiles that have no body parts allowed, avoid the butcher workshop and  that sort of thing ?

Another idea would be to have a non military way to train discipline and/or some psychologists on hand to deal with the traumatized dwarves. There's a consoler skill that could be useful, right ?
Having them getting stressed/horrified is ok if I have a way to prevent it (most of the time) and undo the damage when it still happens.

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2018, 02:10:42 am »

I dont mind these updates with hilariously unbalanced stuff like the stress. Iv had a month to play with forts where corpses cause insanity. Its been fun. Forced me to create magma flushing system in 1 fort and a burrowed dedicated corpse crew in another. Its FUN
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »

So having some dwarves in your fort that aren't fit to stand the stress of dead bodies, that's ok, if I have a practical way to manage it.

This response probably won't satisfy you; but you could cage them. Ethical fortmode, parental controls enabled  8)

Nobody needs to know what you do to the cages
let

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »

Well, in the next version, you'll be able to send them to the Dwarven gulag.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:05 am »

Just to mention, it seems that the tweaks to Dwarven attack rates in Worldgen recently have actually paid off.

After many, many worldgens, I have finally witnessed a Dwarf group proactively attacking someone.
And, as luck would have it, in the spirit of fanlore, it was a group of elves that received the attack.

The 55 year Molten Conflict itself was begun by the Elves. But 6 times the Dwarves did take to arms and lead attacks on the dammed friends of nature.

For example the first of these attacks was The Eviscerated Assault, in which 48 dwarves attacked a group of, urm, 0 elves This daring attack concluded in the pillaging of Glitterteachers.
In fact, looking closely at the stats, each of the Dwarf Civ's 6 attacks during The Molten Conflict was against a foe count of zero.

Them Dwarves. Cautious bunch.

On close inspection, it seems that the Dwarves, wily souls that they were, waited until the Elves had suffered massive defeat at the hands of another civ before attacking. The Dwarf attacks are preceded in Legends by hundreds of entries of Elves being hung, impaled and made into gruesome sculptures. After the 6 attacks the small moose population which appears to be all that was left of the Elven civ accepted a peace treaty. :)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2018, 05:28:35 am »

Just a short reply to the most recent dev log:

please give those messengers the ability to broker peace in exchange for tributes or a single down payment, because we can start wars, but we cant end them at the moment (except for total victory, but even a 350 horse civ will remain hostile)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:35:49 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]