Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released  (Read 107105 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 04:05:02 am »

ok so learn that if you retire the fort, the sites you conquered will turn into ruins, this goes true for most but the player forts which will act as normal but with no nobles if you didn't bring the expedition leader along to assign anyone.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 02:11:30 pm »

Has anyone actually gotten a hill settlement to appear near their fort yet? I've got a fairly productive fortress and a healthy civ, but the only economically-connected sites I've gotten is a single elf site that appeared a few months into the fort's life. Now it's been around 2 years with a barony - and nothing so far.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 02:25:50 pm »

Did you get ability to send messengers, at least?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »

No, it doesn't seem like it. I've yet to send a messenger out ever, so I might just be missing some UI stuff.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 04:37:07 pm »

I have had three hillocks spring up next to my fortress, all within 2 years of eachother (fort year 5-6), and one already-existing village declared their allegiance to me (this happened before the three hillocks).

They are separate places, I can send a messenger to any one of them to request for workers (some have spare workers, some don't). It gives you a little menu where you can choose the dwarf you want to "acquire". Then the messenger leaves, and a few minutes later comes back with the dwarf you wanted.

You can only send messengers to the sites which have spare workers. Also, you need to assign a messenger in the [l]ocation menu, there's a new occupation for your fortress there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:47:34 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »

Where is the 'make request' option? Civ screen?
Haven't seen that yet, although I did manage to assign a messenger.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »

Finally got some hillocks to spawn (four of em in pretty quick succession, no less).

And yes, the request option is on the civ screen. The request option replaces the raid command.

My next little issue is one of dwarves. Trying to exile them, but it says I cannot because "child is not present". Not really sure what that means, since she has a few children that are present on site, and more not. Do all her children need to be onsite for her to be exiled?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:48 pm »

I'm guessing it's only my machine because I would have thought someone would post otherwise...  When I quit from the main menu, it clears the screen and then hangs with CPU usage of 100%.  Nothing gets printed to the logs. I'm on Arch Linux.  The games seems to work fine otherwise...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 09:56:36 pm »

Finally got some hillocks to spawn (four of em in pretty quick succession, no less).

And yes, the request option is on the civ screen. The request option replaces the raid command.
Ha. Guess I need to raid my Elven bandit cave to make them a proper holding then. All I can do with them right now is send people there, view them on the map or attack them. :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 02:22:23 am »

Hmm, yeah, perhaps it's being overzealous with the child check?  It's meant to prevent odd situations like expelling one spouse while another holding a baby is off on a mission or something, but it seems to be checking against children that are properly settled elsewhere in the world?  It was supposed to be checking for fort entity membership, to cut out the latter case (where they might have stayed with a position-holding spouse instead of coming with the original immigrant, say.)  Unless you are talking about adult children off living their lives, which would be even more broken.

If there's a noticeable stuttering that persists in a save I can check it out.  The stuttering lag from old saves should be fixed (that vegetation issue covered every case I tested, if I recall.)  I'm not sure what's new there; could be the old stutter in a case that isn't fixed, or something new to do with...  I have no clear candidates.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2018, 02:53:47 am »

Will upload my save later. Not sure if it's the same as what people were getting before as I didn't get that. But would be nice to see what's going on. There's a random text issue in a Legends battle that I haven't seen before (the Forced Shifted!) that I can report with the same save, so no waste if it's just my PC gone wrong.

--edit
Here's the save. Demonstrates the weird Elven Bandit Cave, some stuttering and a text glitch in Legends (reported on Mantis).
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13849
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:34:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 03:34:45 am »

Hmm, yeah, perhaps it's being overzealous with the child check?  It's meant to prevent odd situations like expelling one spouse while another holding a baby is off on a mission or something, but it seems to be checking against children that are properly settled elsewhere in the world? 

I guess it underlines some other issues in DF fortress mode in a capacity where spouse and child seperation happens a lot, and this has a number of social implications like making desires to have family impossible to achieve in some members on part of adventurers living in your fortress whilst their significant others and family live elsewhere in another civilization. Never seeking new companions to replace those ties given they can't leave to visit them under the tenure of working & living as a member of your fortress (dashing the hopes of honeymoon suites hoping for pitter patter of tiny feet).

Something interesting for your elf bandit case is that bandit groups have a 'warlord' variable position, could this be malfunctioning because goblin outcasts have variable positions on all?

I've never seen this generated position before or knew why criminals would need a leader but it might shed more light on the situation, this is for vanilla with only modifications being removal of aquifers. The mines of misery is just a normal catacombs, but this is just to point out the position that isman got
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:45:24 am by FantasticDorf »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 12:26:17 pm »

I'm guessing it's only my machine because I would have thought someone would post otherwise...  When I quit from the main menu, it clears the screen and then hangs with CPU usage of 100%.  Nothing gets printed to the logs. I'm on Arch Linux.  The games seems to work fine otherwise...

Not seeing this on Manjaro with vanilla (direct download from bay12) unpacked to home.  Only thing I had to do was rename the libs/libstdc++.so.6.  Have you tried both this way and the package from the ArchLinux repository https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/dwarffortress/?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 03:51:49 pm »

Hmm, yeah, perhaps it's being overzealous with the child check?  It's meant to prevent odd situations like expelling one spouse while another holding a baby is off on a mission or something, but it seems to be checking against children that are properly settled elsewhere in the world? 
Something interesting for your elf bandit case is that bandit groups have a 'warlord' variable position, could this be malfunctioning because goblin outcasts have variable positions on all?

I've never seen this generated position before or knew why criminals would need a leader but it might shed more light on the situation, this is for vanilla with only modifications being removal of aquifers. The mines of misery is just a normal catacombs, but this is just to point out the position that isman got
Criminal organizations and bandits have always been lead by a 'warlord' or other variable position name (warlord is fairly common in my experience). What is the malfunction you're pointing out?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 06:49:17 pm »

it may just be a misunderstanding the situation due to my unfamiliarity with warlords, but it seems quite probable that with the migration behaviour that the warlord would be responsible for handling & ruling the sites outreaching economic treaties like the elf bandit cave. I thought it might elsewise have been some sort of faulty inheritance of variable positions from goblin, as i rarely see (or maybe pay little attention) warlords appear.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6