Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released  (Read 107080 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:08:59 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

There are now peaceful and not-so-peaceful ways of expanding your influence in the world.  Once a site becomes linked to you (through prosperity or by conquest; you'll see a message), you can send a messenger there to request workers, or send dwarves from the fort out to such sites (from v-p).  This only works on historical figures, so you might find you don't have off-site workers available at first, though some sites do have them.  This release should also improve the issues dwarves were having with negative thoughts, and they can also now experience permanent changes in their personalities and intellectual values due to events in their lives.

Note: Insurrections were such a problem in sites that I had to turn them off for your fortress's holdings; we'll get back to that later.  It wasn't even the insurrections, really; the dwarves were bailing on the occupation immediately because they were afraid of insurrections.

New stuff
   (*) Your civilization will send out groups to found sites near prosperous fortresses
   (*) Existing sites near prosperous fortresses will associate themselves to those fortresses
   (*) Added ability to take over sites and install administrators
   (*) Can view your new holdings from the 'c' screen
   (*) Can send workers off-site and send out messengers to request their return
   (*) Mulling over long-term memories can lead to shifts in intellectual values and personality changes

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed hauling route crash
   (*) Fixed problem causing county stage to be skipped in noble elevation
   (*) Stopped all visiting barons from being elevated along with your baron
   (*) Changed horror calculation from seeing a dead body
   (*) Stopped similar memories close in time from taking all the memory space
   (*) Stopped stuttering lag from repeated vegetation connectivity checks

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Camping refugees will be awake during the day now
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:16:07 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:44:03 pm »

Thaks Toady!

Will we miss something if we use older saves?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »

Thank god, it was always so ominous finding refugee groups in adventure mode, and everyone's just asleep no matter what. Made me wonder if a secret magic or something made everyone fall asleep.

Also, hurray!!!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 04:05:06 pm »

It shoooould all work.  They should even send settler dwarves to create sites near your site if you are at baron status, but it might take a month or two due to some of the timers.  All of the memory stuff should work (I tested that on old saves, anyway.)  Messenger occupation should appear in old saves automatically (from 'l') though you can't use it for anything yet but requesting workers from your holdings and sites marked as "economically linked".  You'll get a big box announcement when you get holdings or economically-linked sites.

You'll need to be on the same continent as your home-civ for the settlers to work, and there needs to be a high enough population at one of your civ's sites, but it doesn't just draw from the capital, so it has more chance of working out.  You can also use conquest in old saves if you want to get holdings.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:06:52 pm by Toady One »

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »

So glad the dead body thought got nerfed.

I really do NOT feel confident burning sapient beings in an incinerator just to preserve FPS and Stress.... I always kind of feel like a Nazi doing this.

And I still haven't tested the new World map possibilities, although my most recent fortress is doing well. Shame on me. I guess there should be a few dwarves held hostage somewhere, since some of my dwarves constantly mull over being away from loved ones, though I'm still not clear how to find out if and where to go to rescue them.
Also, I still have no clue how all that stuff with sites linked to mine etc. even works.

Still, I'm really glad it's going forward ! Thanks a lot for your effort Toady One :)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 05:20:49 pm »

The horror! The Horror!

8) Thanks, master Toady!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 06:49:38 pm »

Note: Insurrections were such a problem in sites that I had to turn them off for your fortress's holdings; we'll get back to that later.  It wasn't even the insurrections, really; the dwarves were bailing on the occupation immediately because they were afraid of insurrections.

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »

Just started a new fortress, 3 days in, have thus far built a bridge and a trade depot.

"The cave of Worryumbra the Ruined Gutters, a half day's travel to the southeast, looks to your thriving economy for it's future prosperity".

Seems a bit quick. Might be mod related (Likes site: Cave) or just because I have caves unhidden. I guess caves have pretty poor economies...

Legends Viewer (exported data from before embarking)  tells me that I now have under my jurisdiction, 312 cave swallows, 291 bats and 4 giant rats. Looking forward to shipping my first migrant wave out there. :)

--edit
Oh, I see, sometime in the two weeks it took me to embark, Elves moved in to the cave. It has a population of 20 now, apparently.

Will this stop them from attacking me, I wonder since I'm playing a civ that's naturally hostile to Elves?

--edit
So apparently the Elves are a group that belong to an Elven bandit gang (bandit gangs form sub-groups, huh, never knew that) who lead an expedition to reclaim the cave.

And now they're under my care. Fascinating.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:26:32 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 09:17:07 pm »

Ha ha, interesting.  I have the same-civ restriction on most of it, but the site takeover code doesn't have that (peaceful or otherwise), when they are searching for a market.  I suppose the question is why a bandit gang was searching for a legitimate market site, rather than a target market site.  There will clearly be growing pains, but it might align well enough with the future villain stuff as we get going here -- the elves would be a problem rather than a subordinate site.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 03:15:35 am »

I note that I'm also able to set up a mission to attack, pillage and conquer this cave which I'm economically linked to. Is that supposed to possible?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 04:08:42 am »

A side-effect of the different civ bit, I imagine.  Seems like sending messengers won't be possible, until you conquer them.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:10:59 am »

Okay, this looks like a glitch. After not very succesful necromancer tower raid, in which everyone in the squad except this dwarf was captured, including expedition leader/militia commander:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then she left the map and instantly returned again from the other side for no reason.  :-\

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 06:25:14 am »

(*) Mulling over long-term memories can lead to shifts in intellectual values and personality changes
I look forward to seeing what sort of psychological danger rooms people come up with!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 06:56:38 am »

Thanks Toady!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:07:52 am »

It seems drunkness counts as a major injury? I'm checking the thoughts of unconscious dwarves in the tavern and their thoughts have "shaken after suffering a major injury". The only injury they have is the temporary lung inhibition from alcohol overdose. Since alcohol poisoning works via paralyzing the lungs for a short period of time, it seems to count as a major injury and thus gives the extreme bad thought.

One of them even had his life values change "complete turnaround" from loves war to loves peace due to the "injury".
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6