Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released  (Read 107240 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.11 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »

Depressed ghost.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He then throwed a tantrum.
Bug or feature?

Well, technically a dwarf in DF is composed of both the body and the soul containers, ghosts are the same dwarves, just without the body. It's not surprising that the personality/thoughts code still has an effect on it. I'd say that's a feature - just think of a tantruming ghost as a poltergeist.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »

My planter loves to scream dropping whatever they're doing & reliving the first time they discovered a dead dwarf, and they've been doing this interrupting whatever they seem to do periodically, im almost too amused to submit a bug report since they must be very cowardly at this point.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:09 pm »

My planter loves to scream dropping whatever they're doing & reliving the first time they discovered a dead dwarf, and they've been doing this interrupting whatever they seem to do periodically, im almost too amused to submit a bug report since they must be very cowardly at this point.
How long has he been doing that? Is it a long term memory now?
"Nervous wreck of a dwarf stops what he's doing when having a flashback to a traumatic encounter" isn't all that convincing as a bug ("screams" is just your imagination).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »

The memory will smooth out overtime. Just give it 1-2 years and it might even become a slightly positive memory (acceptance of death).
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2018, 07:05:50 pm »

Hmm. Seem to be suffering from stuttering lag, everything will stop for a second or two before carrying on. First year of fortress, 16 civilians, same old layout as I usually use.

Odd, since I never had it before, and this release actually had a bugfix for it. Will mess with settings a little, check if anything's changed in my computer, see if that helps. Anyone else getting this?

This one seems to be entire related to historical births hitting the unit files every game day.  I turned off the offload and the problem went away.  Of course, the offload is there for a reason, but that reason maybe isn't so compelling now with 64 bit, as there's some memory to spare generally for off-map unit files to be loaded.  I'll try to code up a reasonable fix that doesn't cause other problems.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2018, 02:36:54 am »

Apparently, fortress fails to crumble (i think it's supposed to) if there are dwarves being held prisoners in necromancer tower (or anywhere else, probably). Even if they themselves (3 out of 4) did come as part of necromancer siege and slaughtered all but one dwarf, who then died from insanity.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:55:31 am by MCreeper »

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2018, 06:57:12 am »

Is the new memory system really only relevant to fortress mode for now, or do all historical figures have memories? Because that seems like a lot of memories.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2018, 07:13:36 am »

Is the new memory system really only relevant to fortress mode for now, or do all historical figures have memories? Because that seems like a lot of memories.
Historical figures don't have memories yet.
It would be nice if they got some though. Or even just the personality shifts based on their histories (for those with histories). Maybe something for when memories are divided again into life stages?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2018, 08:22:33 am »

Depressed ghost.
He then throwed a tantrum.
Bug or feature?
Well, technically a dwarf in DF is composed of both the body and the soul containers, ghosts are the same dwarves, just without the body. It's not surprising that the personality/thoughts code still has an effect on it. I'd say that's a feature - just think of a tantruming ghost as a poltergeist.

It'd be nice if ghost could change types according to their mood, though I guess that's more of a suggestion I should put on the board for that.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2018, 03:14:46 am »

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed problem causing county stage to be skipped in noble elevation
   (*) Stopped all visiting barons from being elevated along with your baron

I think this fix introduced or exposed a different bug. (Sorry, I can't get Mantis login/account creation to work, or I'd post there)

My fort has a guest Baron and I was seeing bug 0008426 when the fort was promoted to Duchy. Additionally, the baron of the other site stole the title from my baron when elevated to Duke, leaving my Baron as a Duke with no site affiliation. So I wanted to upgrade to 44.11.

In 44.11, when the fort (Luslemsebshos/Puzzlemire) is promoted (to County now), instead of becoming a Count, my Baron becomes a Diplomat. (You can see that the other bug was fixed, because the Baron of the other site, Gatetapers, is unchanged.) Here are screenshots:

Before:

Event:

After:

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2018, 03:41:01 am »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2018, 07:16:51 am »

Let's see who's available to call up from the human village I conquered.
Hmm. Onget Paintpillar: Legendary climber (no other skills listed).
It's gotta be a cat, right?  ???

--
(Yeah, it's a cat. Belonged to my militia captain apparently - might want to mention that in the list of potential 'workers' you can call up).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:22:49 am by Shonai_Dweller »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »

That's already on mantis:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10804
Thanks! My search missed it.

That report suspects that mods are to blame. Should I upload a save? My game is extremely minimally modded. (Small quality of life changes applied by hand, and definitely nothing affecting noble positions.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:19:15 pm by gchristopher »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2018, 05:30:45 pm »

Mods were just one theory that was ruled out. But since there's no save, you should upload one if you can (preferably not a huge one).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2018, 06:46:56 pm »

Mods were just one theory that was ruled out. But since there's no save, you should upload one if you can (preferably not a huge one).
Just to check, 'cos I noticed your comment on the tracker too, how huge is 'huge'? DF saves get pretty big through no fault of the players. And some bugs are so rare that only people who are actually playing the game come across them (as opposed to people actively looking for them, using deliberately 'small' saves).

If we all stop uploading saves because we're worried that they're too big (I know I've done that in the past when something seems easy to replicate), won't that harm bug tracking?

A quick browse of the tracker shows that there are very different opinions on what's 'simple to reproduce'. But once a player's moved on in their game, the evidence is gone for good.

A little clarification would be helpful. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6