Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game OOC (7/X)  (Read 23554 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game OOC (7/X)
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:01 am »

War. War never changes.

Nestled in the mountains surrounding Bozeman, Montana there was a single vault. Vault 66. A Vault with a small population, fitting the state. On the surface it had promised to protect the surrounding population in the case of nuclear annihilation. In reality, as is the case with so many others, its true purpose was to preform experimentation on the population. Vault 66 was placed with a "factory farm", a set up specifically made to allow an incredibly dense population of cattle, chicken, pigs, and other farm animals in an incredibly small space while leaving room to expand the operations. The efficiency of this setup was to be compared to the more traditional vault setups, as such it was given a hydroponics bay too small to support the human population and had its food synthesizer sabotaged to prevent it from operating. The animals would instead be supported by a specially made slurry, a neon-green paste with the consistency of clay, and the Vault Dwellers would have a primarily meat diet. The supplies would last fifty years-after which the Vault would open to the wasteland.

The experiment failed before it had even begun. The livestock had been slated for delivery three days after the bombs fell. While many of the Dwellers ran successfully to the safety of the Vault, they had found their food stockpiles lacking. With few other options, the Overseer ordered a small portion of the population to eat the green slurry directly. While it was found to be unpalatable- with a taste comparable to broccoli covered in grass with a salty aftertaste- it was found to be incredibly nutritious. And so, the Vault Dwellers were saved a second time.

A larger and larger portion of the Vault began to subsist primarily on the paste, now called "Cow Cakes" as a dig at their taste. The initial taste-testers had begun showing signs of improvement in overall health. They had increased muscle mass, faster reflexes, performed better on exams, and even had keener eyesight. As such, it quickly became popular among the Vault Dwellers, who continued in vain to attempt to improve the taste. The supply was near endless, as the animal population was meant to outnumber the Dwellers by a large margin, as such its consumption was encouraged by both the Overseer and Vault Doctor.

As the years passed, it became clear that Cow Cake's problems didn't end with the taste. Side effects began showing after around 10 years. Subjects would get agitated incredibly easily, leading to the occasional destructive brawl or outright murder. In some subjects, it was a minor trait that can be easily dismissed. Other subjects reacted badly, forcing them to be arrested and placed in what should have been animal pens for their own safety. Some wished to quit Cow Cakes over this, which only led to the discovery of the withdraw symptoms. As it turns out, the slurry had a mix of chems, antibiotics, and steroids meant to encourage growth in livestock, quitting cold turkey was the equivalent to a life-long junky trying the same. In addition to lethargy, drastically decreased health and muscle mass, the chances of "going mad" increased drastically. Besides, there still wasn't enough food to go around. The Overseer had long been on a "real food" diet, along with "vital personnel", who were consuming the majority of what they could produce. After all, he knew what was in the slurry the entire time...

After 40 years, approximately 50% of the population had "Gone Mad" to the point they were more beast than man. That is when the real infighting started. Not just madmen starting brawls, but a concrete effort of the population to overthrow the overseer. Murders were committed, alliances were forged, plans were hatched. Five years later, they finally went through with the plot. The slurry's benefits finally worked in their favor, allowing them to defeat the Vault's security forces and corner the Overseer. After extracting all the necessary codes to keep the vault running, the overseer was killed after being "accidentally" placed in a livestock holding container that had already contained a Madman.

It is now 2122, 45 years after the bombs fell. The Dwellers of Vault 66 know that it is only a matter of time before most the population goes mad, but they refuse to go down without a fight. Scouts were sent out in search for any aid. Mercenaries, drifters looking for a home, other Vaults, any friendly human they could find. They gathered and sent out squads of all their strongest and sanest, most just to find help. One squad has a different mission. Somewhere in the Midwest is a laboratory the Cow Pies were invented in. If it somehow survived, then maybe...just maybe...its notes can be used to synthesize a cure that could save the Vault.

You are that group. A ragtag group of adventurers, some born in Vault 66, some born elsewhere, who have all agreed to help the Vault either out of a sense of decency or self interest. Will you be able walk through the wasteland and come back heroes? Or will the land claim your lives?

Fun fact about Fallout! Originally, it was going to be a GURPS game, but they ended up pulling out so that the feature had to be changed. As such, Fallout 1-2's mechanics translate OK to PBP RPGS! I hope! I haven't actually *tried* it yet, but there is no reason it shouldn't work with some small changes and dice rolls. Its something I have wanted to do for a while, and it is just late enough for me to be unable to stop myself from trying!

The game will take place around 39 years before Fallout 1 starts, in the Midwest starting in Montana. That means that some factions probably won't show up, no NCR for example, unless the players feel like they should. I ain't restricted by canon afterall :p. The outlying details are to be left vague enough for you to build your character however you want, if you want to make up a vault or town you are from go ahead.

So to make sure this actually works, and that I don't go insane even from my simplified system, you guys will make up some characters and then have them shoot each other!

SPECIAL
Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

As a fair warning, the grid will probably be a chessboard with names in spaces. I don't do miniatures V_V.

IC link
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:58:45 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game Interest Check/Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:45:52 am »

Name: Hikano Skyes(Child of Harmonious Skies)
Strength: 3
Perception: 4
Endurance: 2
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 9
Agility: 8(9)
Luck: 9
Tagged skills: Sneak, Lockpick, Gambling.

Trait- Small Frame: +1 Agility, reduced carry weight.
 Chem Resistant:  1/2 addiction chance, chems last 1/2 as long

Birthplace: Vault 66
Height/Frame: 4'6, small.
Hair/Eye Color: Dark Honey Brown, both.

"Hmph.. So many idiots, if the rest of the world is like this, enrichment should be a simple task. Don't fail me now, my Luck"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:05:38 pm by TricMagic »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:47:44 pm »

Interested. Will write up a sheet at a later time.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »

Name: Hikano Skyes(Child of Harmonious Skies)
Strength: 3
Perception: 4
Endurance: 2
Intelligence: 9
Agility: 8(9)
Luck: 9
Tagged skills: Sneak, Lockpick, Gambling.

Trait- Small Frame: +1 Agility, reduced carry weight.

Birthplace: Vault 66
Height/Frame: 4'6, small.
Hair/Eye Color: Dark Honey Brown, both.

"Hmph.. So many idiots, if the rest of the world is like this, enrichment should be a simple task. Don't fail me now, my Luck"
Spoiler: Hikano (click to show/hide)

This is your character including skills and derived statistics. Would you like to make any changes?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:15:11 pm by Stirk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »

Added Trait: Chem Resistant.

What is sequence measured by?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:16:19 pm »

Added Trait: Chem Resistant.

What is sequence measured by?

Sequence is 2* Perception base. Kamikaze adds 5 to sequence.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:23:35 am »

Name: Frank Goldstein

Strength: 5
Perception: 5
Endurance: 6
Intelligence: 7
Agility: 6
Luck: 6

Tagged skills: Lockpick, Small guns, First aid.

Traits: Bruiser: +2 str, -2 action points
          Bloody Mess: More violent deaths for your enemies! And maybe you!

Additional info: 
  Place of origin: Miles City, MT
  Description: A dirty looking old man with a long unkempt beard.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:40:38 pm »

Name: Frank Goldstein

Strength: 5
Perception: 5
Endurance: 6
Intelligence: 7
Agility: 6
Luck: 6

Tagged skills: Lockpick, Small guns, First aid.

Traits: Bruiser: +2 str, -2 action points
          Bloody Mess: More violent deaths for your enemies! And maybe you!

Additional info: 
  Place of origin: Miles City, MT
  Description: A dirty looking old man with a long unkempt beard.

Someone actually took bloody mess. Now I have to come up with more colorful descriptions :0

Spoiler: Frank (click to show/hide)

This is your character including skills and derived statistics. Would you like to make any changes?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 05:30:07 am »

Every thing looks good to me. My character's not from the vault if that info is impotent right now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »

Every thing looks good to me. My character's not from the vault if that info is impotent right now.

Right now? Not important. I'll probably frame the test game as the vault rebellion, but you two will end up shooting each other anyways so its not like it is part of the actual game.

Speaking of, two people is enough to start the test. I'll get the first map up later today if there are no objections.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »

I really want my luck to keep me alive. Also, wouldn't my character be 9 at the time?

I really need to put my luck, speed, and size to good use. At least I'm smarter than him.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:08:39 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:31 pm »

I really want my luck to keep me alive. Also, wouldn't my character be 9 at the time?

I really need to put my luck, speed, and size to good use. At least I'm smarter than him.

We'd be playing the bloody end of the conflict, which was something like a month back. And it is still non-canon, given that you two will be trying to kill each other and will almost certainly succeed. Possibly several times.

Besides, the trick isn't to outsmart him, it is to outsmart his bullet :P.

Alright, dundududah!

Spoiler: Fight 1! (click to show/hide)

I actually managed to find a Fallout tileset, now I just need to find out how to make it look purdy.

Test Scenario: A Vault Security Officer (represented by Frank, top character) is patrolling the Vault hallways alone. Unknown to him, a young rebel (Hikano, bottom character) has prepared an ambush as part of the start of their open revolution.

Hikano gets the surprise round.
Both characters are equipped with a 10mm pistol (Damage 5-12/STR req 3/ 5 AP single/6 Aimed) with 12/12 JHP (2/1 +25% DR).
Both characters are wearing Vault Security Outfits (15 AC, 25DR/2DT)
Frank gets Strong Punch (+3 damage, 3 AP) and Strong Kick (+5 damage, 4AP)
Hikano gets Strong Kick (+5 damage, 4AP)

I will assume both of you are familiar with how to play. Hikano has the higher sequence and gets the first move next round, meaning he gets to act twice. I am planning on having a "mercy" mechanic to prevent PCs from becoming red mist every fight, but that will not be present here.

Now lets have a good clean fight! Shots below, at, and above the belt are permitted. Move by stating the final tile destination, shoot by stating the target. Asking what your shot chances are at your current tile are fine, including aimed shot chances.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »

I will assume both of you are familiar with how to play. Hikano has the higher sequence and gets the first move next round, meaning he gets to act twice. I am planning on having a "mercy" mechanic to prevent PCs from becoming red mist every fight, but that will not be present here.

Not quite, do I have a rulelist to read?

How much can I move, can I hide, what are my chances of hitting him from here?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:31:51 pm »

Not quite, do I have a rulelist to read?

How much can I move, can I hide, what are my chances of hitting him from here?

Kinda, there is a wiki with all the information, but it goes much deeper than it needs to for the purposes of actually playing.
The basics are: You move your AP, you shoot the AP value of the weapon, and at the end of your turn unspent AP turn into AC (which isn't great :p)

Under normal circumstances, you can activate your Skills at any time. This includes entering sneak mode, which slows you down but makes you sneak. In a Light hallway, 7 tiles away, with starting skill it is unlikely to actually change anything. You need items to actually use some skills (such as Doctor needing a Doctor's Bag).

41%-6-15-30-4*7+16*2
Final: -6% chance. You can not hit the target from this location.

**Edit**

Might take out his Agility AP bonus for the surprise round, but it doens't actually matter here :0.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:37:59 pm by Stirk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »

Stay still. End Turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25