Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 45176 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »

Yes, that she did. I didn’t know creation magic could go so wrong

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2019, 04:35:39 am »

Yes, that she did. I didn’t know creation magic could go so wrong

Words to live by (but not for very long).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2019, 05:25:12 am »

Like this, Nature Girl:

Create and Bind an Ice powered Ostrich:
Tzimzvot (elemental forces) -> Telazch (biology) -> Ah (creation) -> Gesh (Bind Will)
Reinforce each 4x.
Total path: 10   ((Tzimzvot, telazch, Es, Nehn, Ah, Nehn, Es, Akhmah, Jal, Gesh))
Total reinforce: 16
Total Nerve rolls: 26
Final Material rolls: Strength and Endurance
Final Nerve roll.
Thank you. Piecewise checks this thread, right?
Even after tidying it up, this dive was full of "adventure." I'll explain a bit more after I make a couple comments.

I’m sorry, I thought reinforcing would increase chances of success
Reinforcing only increases the effect, good or bad, of a Dive. Reinforcing does NOT increase the likelihood of success. It DECREASES the likelihood of success. As you have so aptly demonstrated.

Hey, just go for it! It's not as if you were malicious in your intent, just take this as a learning experience. And maybe take things more slowly next time until you're more familiar with space magic.
I agree that you should make a new character and learn from this experience. As for your intentions not being malicious, well, I expected, from the moment you posted your character sheet, that your character would either destroy herself or some of us around her, and soon. Mostly because you remind me of two other divers we've had: Yottawatt's Moku, and Egan's Weillste.

Now, aside form the very painful lesson of "more does not mean better," a couple other lessons should be learned here about Diving:
1) Dive failure is !!fun!! Don't play a Diver if you are not prepared for the risk.

2) long chains of actions are BAD, usually. Generally, you don't want to link the top set of spheres with the bottom set like that: it eats up a lot of Nerve. I don't do it, and AsHul has to beat a 19 on his nerve dive rolls, and can roll at advantage.

3) something that didn't come up, due to the Nerve failures: your spheres and the intent of your dive are not complete. First, you wanted a living creature, but you probably would have only gotten a body, since you didn't Dive to the sphere of Yengenze for the Spark of Life. Second, you wanted the reature to have Ice powers, but that is not an Elemental force, unless you mean that it can control heat or something. Ice is more of a weather effect,so you probably should have gone with Konis instead of tzimzvot. Finally, the binding to your will probably would, or at least should have failed, because, again, you weren't creating an animated creature, but a cold body. to bind a creature, it needs either a will, or to be animated by a will.

some of those ideas are somewhat debateable: ice could be a representative fo a fundamental force, and you could animate the body by your own will, so that may have worked, but I'd have to ask PW directly, which brings us to

4) being as unfamiliar with Diving as you are, you really should ask for advice on all your Dives, rather than just throwing science at the wall to see what sticks. On the other hand, throwing science at the wall is how we learn new things, and makea neat gun, for the people who are still alive. still alive~ still alive~

5) take all these points with a grain of salt, and play how you want to play. It makes things interesting. If everyone were a clone of AsHul ... well ... hmm.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:09 am »

Another small tip: you can sometimes split up a long difficult dive into multiple smaller ones. Instead of 1 dive for making something AND making it alive AND binding it to your will AND ice powers, you could first make the body with one dive, then rest until whatever nerve was lost is regained, then move on to the next step.

Also, you can do things without diving sometimes to make your life safer. For example, if you want a living golem, you could create one whole out of thin air, but actually making a lil' clay guy and then imbuing that with life can be substantially easier.

And don't forget about sacrificing items, stat points or even body parts to help with dives! And a dive like this, where you are making something that is not time-critical, is best done when you are sure you are rolling at advantage (a calm and safe environment).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:01:08 am by Radio Controlled »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I will create a new character soon. I knew Diving was risky, I just didn’t expect the Creation plane to kill me, I thought that would be safe

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:21:46 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »

someone is going to need to immediately steal that relic fragment from your new character. Otherwise, welcome aboard.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2019, 04:43:16 am »

Yeaaah, if he survives this, I was gonna have Nyw just start taking relic fragments from new divers and giving them to Ashul/Adam, until those divers can prove themselves to be something aside from timebombs.  Of course, that can simply be avoided by lying to Nyw about being a diver, if someone doesn't want him to be stopped from exploding~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2019, 04:50:36 am »

Yeaaah, if he survives this, I was gonna have Nyw just start taking relic fragments from new divers and giving them to Ashul/Adam, until those divers can prove themselves to be something aside from timebombs.  Of course, that can simply be avoided by lying to Nyw about being a diver, if someone doesn't want him to be stopped from exploding~
Pray tell how a Diver can prove themself without practice?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:31 am »

Pray tell how a Diver can prove themself without practice?
  • By recognizing that 12 nerve and 0 Dive skill makes Diving an extremely risky venture for everyone
  • by exhibiting wisdom and practicality in non-Diving ventures
  • by doing something beneficial to the team
  • by laying out intended Dives, their purposes, and expected results for experienced Divers and others affected to see
  • by taking direction and in general acting for the good of the team within boundaries
  • by asking for advice and options on any potential Dive
  • by recognizing that Diving is inherently dangerous and requires lots of bravery (+Nerve) or foolishness (-intellect) to participate in
  • teh more typical route: by cleaning up after Divers' failures

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:31 am »

I have Dive though, I will not use it often

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 08, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »

The idea was that Ashul/Adam could simply give the relic back to the prospective diver temporarily, to let them complete a dive after said dive has been outlined and confirmed by the veteran.  You'd still be able to dive relatively freely, just only with enforced supervision, safety, and advice.  If this proves to be an unnecessary hindrance because all your dives are perfectly fine without advice, then you can get the relic back and return to unsupervised diving.

Basically it'd mean no difference besides you not making immediate dives while out and adventuring (which, going on previous history with spur-of-the-moment dives, is a really good thing), and that you'd be forced to ask for advice IC.  And forced to heed it.  I think the primary reason that dive wasn't commented on by anyone was because you didn't lay it out IC; everyone who knows the system probably took one look at "Total Nerve rolls: 26" and started laughing nervously.  I know I did!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 08, 2019, 05:51:19 pm »

Yes, my new character will be sure to ask for advice. Koste thought that practice makes perfect. Rhea has just seen what is very likely some failed dives, and will thus be more careful lest she also turn into a plasma ball or possessed by a beeping creature speaking of dials and invalid numbers. Koste hasn’t been exposed to dives gone wrong, being taught by people who knew what they were doing, diving looked easy to Koste.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2019, 10:44:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Since this character was killed before doing anything, can I res pawn her outside of the bore, or should I make a 3rd character?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 10, 2019, 10:53:00 am »

I think your second character is still alive, pw might just have been thinking you were still trying to play your first character. Did you explicitly tell him that you were respawning with a new character? If not, I would advise to do so.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2019, 12:08:27 am »

Don't worry about it.  When you've got an ongoing incident it sometimes takes a few turns to clean up everything.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27