Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 45594 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2018, 01:18:41 pm »

We'd need manual entry for inventory however. Given the current crafting system it's quite likely there will be a lot of fairly unique items to be made.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2018, 05:59:52 am »

In general I wonder for what kinds of info the templates would be convenient, and when some regular wiki text/table would be more convenient. For charsheets it seems like a good idea, but what other types of info do you think would need to be copied/used often?
I dunno man, I'm just the guy writing the templates here. Could you use an inventory template? A crafting recipe template? Maybe a template that automatically creates the entire armoury? A template that lists stats, skills, inventory and short description of people in a certain expedition? Maybe a template that makes a table of all characters and lets you order them by stats and skills? A template that lists all inventory items of all active non-dead characters? Hell, maybe I could use the data to make some automatic diving GUI/calculation website given enough time. Would any of these be useful? Would something else be useful? Would they make things hard for no reason? I don't know. It's hard for me to tell, I don't have the necessary perspective. I just saw something interesting that had possibilities and thought I'd try it out, see if it works, mostly to see if I could do it.

For me personally, it would actually be much easier to just leave things as they are and let the editors worry about updating everything. After all, I mostly just update my own charsheet and maybe add some general info or help around with other charsheets if I feel like it. So it would be the least amount of work for me.

And for right now, maybe the sort of effort needed to maintain that sort of thing isn't warranted. Maybe people are unlikely to spend time updating the wiki for simple things like updating their bullet count or the turns left to their silent night or whatever, so trying to keep it in a unified system that looks the same everywhere is a waste of effort, especially if it ends up making people even more unlikely to edit. I mean, we don't know the future, for all we know it might never end up being useful.

The reason I'm mentioning this now rather than later is because we're still in the design phase, we haven't put in any work on the wiki. Once we do, it will probably not be worth the effort to change our approach later. So that's why I'm asking your (plural) opinion about this, if it would be something you'd be willing to do and find useful.

Responding here due to Discord's 2000 character limit.

I think that just the template for the charsheets would be enough, most of the other stuff can probably just be handled ad-hoc and with standard wikia tables (and wouldn't want you to do work if it isn't necessary). A sort of diving success calculator could maybe be handy though?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:42 am »

Heh, that could be fun. Modules seem to be based in LUA so I might look into that

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »

Good news everyone!

The DIG wiki is now live! Much like in ER and the original DIG, this is where we will gather all of the information about the game, from rules and mechanics to lore and worldbuilding. You can click this link, or the fancy link in my sig to get you there.

Currently, all of the info from the rules and lore docs have been added, as well as some additional stuff. However, most of the things that have been brought up in the thread up till now, such as the crafting recipes, aren't in there yet, so feel free to start adding them in! As always, editing a wikia page does not require you to make an account, so don't let that stop you. However, if you do make an account and make edits while logged in you can earn little DIG achievement badges that are almost as useless as they are neat to have.

If you don't know where to start, you can start by making a character page. If you want an example, you can look at this handsome devil to get an idea (thanks to paris for nifty templates*). You can use your own character page as your own playground, and you could use it to keep track of things such as personal goals or notes or more in depth physical descriptions of your character. Note that you'll still need to post your charsheet within your turns though.

Happy editing!

*and to everyone else who already helped cobble this thing together.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 01:26:04 pm »

I made a thing: https://parisbre56.github.io/spheres.html

You can use it to calculate diving odds. Click on the spheres to select them. Click again to reinforce them.

It's very simple right now. It also uses a very dumb calculation for its stats, so calculations for really deep dives (20+ rolls) might take a while to complete. I might work on improving it and adding more features later. But even at its current state it is very useful for getting a feel for the system and gaining some interesting insights.

Like the fact that a powerful diver rolling at advantage can be very scary: https://parisbre56.github.io/spheres.html?path=Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Akhmah,Jal,Undyne,En,En,En,En,En,En,En,En,En,En,En&nerve=19&state=adv

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »

Yeah, that diver can delete some rocks real good?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2018, 03:06:54 pm »

Paris, yo uneed a reset button to clear a path completely instead of having to backtrack through it or reload the page.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »

I already have a reset function but I forgot to add a button for it. I'll add that later.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2018, 08:36:52 am »

Diving calculator 1.1 is here.

New version includes:
A larger, more readable map.
The ability to long press/touch (tested on Firefox and Chrome for Android) or right click to show additional information about the spheres
A reset button (near the top to make it less likely to press it accidentally)
More smart calculations so you can make even deeper dives using buckets of Dice (see, for example, a dive to summon a giant laser beam)

I can't think of anything else to add. I think I'll leave it as is for now, unless anyone has any suggestions.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2018, 10:41:49 am »

Nice edits. looks pretty good. You're a hero to the reckless and insane, Paris.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:03 am »

Buh, seriously. It looks fantastic. Might be worth a wiki link under the diving page/section.

Sorry guys, I had a rough weekend. Was not expecting two posts in a day.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 11:55:56 am »

Buh, seriously. It looks fantastic. Might be worth a wiki link under the diving page/section.

Sorry guys, I had a rough weekend. Was not expecting two posts in a day.
Sometimes I am too fast for my own good. Sometimes I am lazy. Always I am inconsistent.

Diving calculator 1.1 is here.

New version includes:
A larger, more readable map.
The ability to long press/touch (tested on Firefox and Chrome for Android) or right click to show additional information about the spheres
A reset button (near the top to make it less likely to press it accidentally)
More smart calculations so you can make even deeper dives using buckets of Dice (see, for example, a dive to summon a giant laser beam)

I can't think of anything else to add. I think I'll leave it as is for now, unless anyone has any suggestions.

Sweet. What do you think the best way to host this thing for players is? Just link to it on the front page?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »

Thank you everyone :)

BTW, the GIMP file I used to make the image is here with all its layers, in case anyone wants to change the colors or fix the lines or whatever: https://github.com/parisbre56/parisbre56.github.io/blob/master/spheres.xcf

Nice edits. looks pretty good. You're a hero to the reckless and insane, Paris.
Hmm. I was thinking that by knowing the odds, people would be less likely to be reckless and insane, so I was protecting myself. But maybe all I was doing was shooting myself in the foot. Or whatever the diving equivalent of that is.  :P

Sometimes I am too fast for my own good. Sometimes I am lazy. Always I am inconsistent.
Piecewise: consistently inconsistent. And we love him for it.

Sweet. What do you think the best way to host this thing for players is? Just link to it on the front page?
Yeah, sure. People would probably see it, since they have to read the first post to find the rules. If it's there and on the wiki, I assume anyone who would want to use it would be able to find it.

If people don't like that and prefer to have it offline I guess I could stick it in a zip and put it in Google drive or something. But from what I understand almost everyone is constantly online these days.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2018, 11:45:58 am »

Copy-paste buttons now officially exist on the wiki! They give you a character sheet like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: Working template is up!
Code: [Select]
{{CharacterSheet|[spoiler][b]Drett Medizin, Ethral[/b] [list] [li]Str: 07[/li] [li]Dex: 12[/li] [li]Spe: 10[/li] [li]End: 08[/li] [li]Awa: 07[/li] [li]Cun: 14[/li] [li]Kno: 15[/li] [li]Ner: 10[/li] [/list][hr] [b]SKILLS:[/b] [list] [li]Medical +2[/li] [li]Biological +2[/li] [li]Mechanical +1[/li] [li]Chemical +1[/li] [li]Occult +1[/li] [li]Archeology +1[/li] [/list][hr] [b]INVENTORY:[/b] [list] [li]Doctor's Bag x1[/li] [li]Field Lighter x1[/li] [li]Cave Spider Venom x6[/li] [li]Fathoms x10[/li] [/list][/spoiler]}}
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:03:23 pm by Gentlefish »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2018, 12:29:23 pm »

I made a simple autocategorizing addition to the PC module. Right now it just adds all pages with it to the Character category.

I'm thinking of categorizing characters based on Status, like we did in ER wiki. Right now I'm thinking:
Alive = Active Character
Dead = Dead Character
Inactive = Inactive Character
NPC = Non-Player Character

Does anybody have any objections or suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27