Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 45143 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 03:51:14 pm »

Frax is generally a cool old mole. He'll make an effort to haul you back to safety if you go down, doesn't like fighting between crewmates, and will generally try to be helpful (but don't expect boundless optimism about stuff like our current employers - he's a realist).

In terms of services, you want a shiny identified, he'll do his best. You want something dug out, he'll try. You need something that isn't a crewmate hit with a pile bunker... well, that depends on what's going on. You want a crewmate slapped up the side of the head because he's being an idiot? He's probably done it already if he saw the idiocy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:01:17 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:18 pm »

((Radio, I am neither an effective gunslinger nor an effective diver. My role is in my name, at least until I can upgrade my character a little. Even then, I intend to mostly focus on improving our firepower.))

I looked at both skills and gear when making up something for the mission roles. You want me to change your role to 'scaredy cat'?  :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:18:29 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »

I built my character around being able to diagnose and treat biological problems, and abused the knowledge stat to get good use out of the other skills.

I am 100% worthless as a combatant, but I should be able to get you on your feet after severe trauma. After all, that's what the cave spider venom is for. Can't have you thrashing around complaining about a missing arm, better to numb the pain and paralyze you ;D

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:49 pm »

I'm afraid I'm worthless as a combatant too. But I might be able to stay out of trouble with my stealth. It's my hope to be able to provide everyone with many wonderful drugs and prototype weapons of dubious quality once we start acquiring materials. I'm thinking namite and sticky goop could make a return here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 06:41:00 pm »

The fact we're even worse combatants than noticed at first glance is part of the reason we'll benefit from a turn looking around before deciding whether to split. And it's also why I advocate a maximum of two groups. Easier to manage, less chances we meet a problem we can't overcome or at least stall before the other group hears our death gurgles.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:43 pm »

Awareness is for avoiding damage. Endurance is for enduring damage. I have 7 of one, 8 of the other. If I take fire, I'm probably already dead.
Dexterity is for shooting things. I have 12 of that, plus 1 pistol skill. This, combined with the above fact, is why I carry a revolver. So that if I happen to be alone and some xenomorph pops out, I can kill it before it kills me.

If there's something out there that needs to be deaded, I'd rather not go out and try to kill it. Because I have very little ability to resist being deaded myself by any other means than shooting first, and even then I'm not a very good glass cannon. No speed, merely adequate aim, and small gun.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 07:20:18 am »

provided I survive the round, I'll just magic things into being dead, but I have a limited pool of nerve to work with.

Or  I could play the nameless character I have. He's pretty good in a fight, or so I assume.

Edit:

I'm confused:
Check the map. Is there any information on this place? Does it look like the bore has been here before?
Edit: If it isn't on the map, then add it. I guess there's no harm in doing so.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

A hand extends from the darkness and taps on the map several times, pointing at a particular spot. 

"See this? We're in Anvil and just deep of us are some ruins. Right here. I want you, and the rest of the idiots we've got, to go in there and get me a Relic. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:29:11 am by Ozarck »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 12:33:56 pm »

Red-orange light leaks in around the circumference of the drill; combined with the smell of sulfur and the heat its clear they've broken into somewhere volcanic.  They walk to the edge of the bore's drill and sidle around it and out into the cavern as far as they can. The hole is just that, a hole drilled out through a wall; no platform or land to stand on other then the lip of the tunnel. The cavern itself is large- maybe 400 feet tall, with the entrance they made at about the mid point- egg shaped, with flowing patterns of hardened magma all across it.  The bottom third or so of the shape is filled with a pool of still quite hot and active magma, bright enough that it hurts to look at.

Mr.Bones - Today at 1:20 PM
RC the idea with the magma in this, how it works which is radically unrealistic, I know, is that it has a single main thrust and then has dead end side paths that sometimes end in caverns with pools of magma.
The entire idea of you going down into that magma is silly, as is building structures around magma, but this is fantasy so I DON'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT
Journey to the center of the earth rules here
Radio Controlled - Today at 1:21 PM
Ahh, that is good to know, thanks for clarifying (info like this is the kind of shit that goes into the wiki once it's up).
Convection heat is still an issue though, I assume?
GentleFish (Wyatt) - Today at 1:22 PM
So, cool, it's not just a pool of magma. It's fantasy magma.
With pathways and shit
Mr.Bones - Today at 1:23 PM
It is, but much less so. Normally you'd not be able to even be in that cavern, I don't think. Here its following the standard fantasy rules of "Stay a bit back and you'll probably be ok. Don't fall in though"
Radio Controlled - Today at 1:24 PM
Ok then. In this case, for example, are we fine as long as we don't trip and dip into the magma, or will some heat protection still be required to be able to explore that structure?
Mr.Bones - Today at 1:26 PM
You'll be fine as long as you stay at least...oh like 5-10 feet away. Once you get that close you might get a bit crispy but actually touching it is the big danger
I can hear Pyro screaming already
popcorn
pancaek - Today at 1:26 PM
So the zipline plan could still be a thing. Nice.
PyroDesu - Today at 1:27 PM
REEEEEEE
REEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee... I'm done now.
Mr.Bones - Today at 1:27 PM
I am still extremely amused that you guys saw a crystal palace with a space dragon flyign around and and were like "BUT WHAT BOUT CONVECTION MOTHER FUCKER?!"
Radio Controlled - Today at 1:28 PM
Because the worm might kill us, but without heat protection the heat will kill us.
Mr.Bones - Today at 1:29 PM
I promise you that if you are ever entering a place where the heat would be fatal without protection, I will let you know before you blunder in
Assuming you don't blunder in vertically at high speed, of course
pancaek - Today at 1:30 PM
You can't fault us for thinking that was also the case here, what with the "filled with magma that's radiating so much it's hard to look at."
Also, someone make sure to quote that, for future proof.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 12:54:04 pm »

Hahahahahahaahahahahah. I didn't die.
On the other hand, I'm like, stuck.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 01:08:46 pm »

Are going to, like, need help to get up from there? Or are you comfy as you are?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »

Well, since it won't explode, he can just try to break it now without fear of explosive consequences.

Heh, watch it make the magnet stronger.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 01:47:22 pm »

Are going to, like, need help to get up from there? Or are you comfy as you are?
I wouldn't say no to a helping hand. Magnet's pretty powerful, so it'll be entertaining as fuck trying to navigate teh Bore to get Outside without getting stuck on literally everything. And while acting natural in front of the Mooks.

"What's wrong with teh Abomination?"
"Had a little too much to drink on the drive down."
"Why's he stuck to the ceiling?"
"Okay, he had a LOT too much to drink on the drive down."

Well, since it won't explode, he can just try to break it now without fear of explosive consequences.

Heh, watch it make the magnet stronger.
I'm slightly more concerned that he'll change the magnetism into radiation or something.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 02:03:54 pm »

PW actually considered replacing the explosive compound with a radioactive one. Dodged a bullet there. Sort of.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 02:51:40 pm »

Did he use the Fate Die? After all, that was a nat 20 on the final stat roll. Of course.

also, my new spell, I am thinking of changing it, to move the magnetism into a different object instead of sealing it or altering it.
Lots of options, really. Moving it might be best though.

Altering it could end up with radiation or a strong electric discharge
sealing it could end up sealing the wrong thing, maybe permanently locking hte collar in place on the floor.
Moving it, well, the magnetism could end up in a body part instead of the targeted item, so there's that.
"You sit up. Everything seems fine. You pick up the loose Fathom. Hmm. shouldn't be able to do that. Curious, you attempt to stand, and immediately regret this decision profoundly, as your balls seem to violently disagree with this action. A nearby Mook, having observed all this, pulls out a knife with a wicked grin. 'Let's play a game, shall we?'"

on second thought, I think I'll try sealing it first.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 02:56:43 pm »

Yep, fate die smiled upon you, ya got a 6.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27