Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 45183 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 03:06:52 pm »

The smile of a shark.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 10:26:57 pm »

(Piecewise_) According to data I can find, silk rope actually does have a lot of stretch. Its a bit iffy in terms of source (usually bondage related) but I'd say you can expect maybe 10-15% stretch, longer if heavily weighted

piecewise and his bondage sources. Typical.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:03 pm »

(Piecewise_) According to data I can find, silk rope actually does have a lot of stretch. Its a bit iffy in terms of source (usually bondage related) but I'd say you can expect maybe 10-15% stretch, longer if heavily weighted

piecewise and his bondage sources. Typical.
http://www.1763.net/uploads/Which_RopeH.pdf
https://crash-restraint.com/ties/2

Seriously. Silk rope is rarely used for anything except bondage. Probably because its so  much more expensive.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 04:54:56 am »

It is also slippery, so unless we can make a diving bell of sorts and use the bore's engines to lower it safely it seems very risky.

Really, if the 'flowing patterns of hardened magma' are indicating solid bridges that cross the cavern (and not flowing patterns on the cavern wall) then drilling up to one of those and walking to the crystal structure seems more safe.
The cavern itself is large- maybe 400 feet tall, with the entrance they made at about the mid point- egg shaped, with flowing patterns of hardened magma all across it.

Either method still leaves the star dragon of course. The hardened bridges might allow for 2 or more teams to try and get in on separate bridges, then if the SD goes after one that team can retreat, giving the other team time to get inside unmolested.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:56:40 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 05:41:10 am »

There is a way to solve both problems: drill a bridge out of the ceiling and drop it in top of the dragon.

Only problem is that that might lead to the Magma level rising.

Edit: Although making a basket to sit in as a crude elevator shouldn't be that hard. People did it all the time in the middle ages.

Although now that I think about it, it's not really necessary, you can just tie people to the end of the rope and lower them down.

Edit2: And really, with the rope method you have less chances of encountering the dragon since you'll both be moving more quickly and you'll be going through the center while the dragon circles around the ruins.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:52:12 am by Parisbre56 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 06:05:08 am »

Just drop me of on the opposite side of the cavern. I'll poke the Annelid of Stars with my Mind Stick, and you all can drop to the crystal city saturated by sulfurous liquid death in perfect safety. Snatch the totally not infernal orb and ride your drillevator back to the Bore in time for tea, while the Glaxy Worm leisurely returns fro mit's conversation with me.

Three problems solved in one go.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 06:33:24 am »

From what I understand the thing is wrapped around the ruins like this. (The ruins are probably not shaped like a medieval castle, I just chose a shape with towers.) So really, as long as you don't touch the body and stay away from the head, it should be fine.

It also seems to be affected by physical objects so you might be able to hide in a hole to stay out of its reach. Assuming it can't shapeshift or had any alternate weapons. And assuming it's affected by all materials and there's nothing special about the material the ruins are made of.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 06:43:22 am »

Parisbre, the thing is constantly moving:

Quote from: Last turn
Swirling, dancing, writhing and snaking around this structure in constant movement is what could only be described as a worm made of stars.

Its must be huge, since its length is such that it could wrap around the ruins several times.

It keeps slithering through the air, cutting between spires, diving and rising erratically, wrapping the ruins in an uneven, constantly moving embrace.

And you people thought MY plans were reckless. Just gonna rappel down and hope you don't bump into it, eh?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 07:20:43 am »

First, I never said your proposal was reckless, if you wanna literally poke your head in the dragon I'm not gonna stop you (but I am going to keep a safe distance, just in case :P)

Second, it's just a proposal. That's why I ask if there are any safe landing spots in my action.

Third, it depends on how the dragon moves and how easy it is to descend. I mean, maybe the dragon doesn't rise above a certain point, meaning the roofs are safe. Or maybe this is like a game of snake. If the dragon's body remains mostly stable after its head passes through an area, then all you need to do is choose that point to descend, because you know the snake won't pass through itself, which should be doable assuming the air currents aren't powerful enough to throw you off course.

Oh, and you can just call me Paris, no need to stick the bre at the end.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 07:59:07 am »

It's good to explore the options, anyway. We won't really know what will work best until we've gotten more information back from the Calcium Commander.

Which won't be until tomorrow, at the earliest, according to the Discord.

I figure the rope climbing will be trivial. PW played around with that being challenging in the first Dig, but I get the impression he finds it more trouble than its worth, though I'd like to see it as an actual climb, since spelunking is an actual skill in game:
Quote from: the Rules
Caving: For traversing caves using ropes and other more traditional means.

Anyway, I think there are a lot of good ideas presented on how to proceed, but I worry that a decision has been made before we have enough information. I don't necessarily want ot ride the bore up to the top of the cavern just yet. I think we have a few good options for getting there from here, though PW did say it would be very ricky.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2018, 09:47:43 am »

Eh, sure, there's no reason we can't brainstorm while we wait for better info.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:30 am »

Talking about that, Lokam does have Caving skill and moth wings.  If we need someone to get to the other side, he could do it.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 10:54:59 am »

piecewise said over Discord he's likely taking the day off because of his birthday.

Which's convenient because the problem at hand means we don't have many actions to process.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 11:02:34 am »

Happy birthday, mister bones. May we many more years of your wild ride to come.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 11:09:33 am »

Edit: Although making a basket to sit in as a crude elevator shouldn't be that hard. People did it all the time in the middle ages.
Yeah, the construction should be doable, but getting the materials could be tricky. Pan has 1 structural junk but that probably wouldn't suffice. I guess we could cannibalize the bore a bit in a pinch (I'm sure we can find an armor panel somewhere that isn't strictly needed as long as we don't do any more drilling) but that's basically subterranean heresy. Or we go to the nearby settlement and see what we can scrounge up.

Although now that I think about it, it's not really necessary, you can just tie people to the end of the rope and lower them down.
This gives a hilarious mental image. Just a bunch of unlucky people tied together resembling a neat bunch of grapes. And then the star dragon realizes he hasn't had second breakfast* yet...

*yes, the star dragon is a hobbit

Edit2: And really, with the rope method you have less chances of encountering the dragon since you'll both be moving more quickly and you'll be going through the center while the dragon circles around the ruins.
Are you sure it'd go quicker? There'd be more distance to cover vertically than horizontally, right? Another possible downside is that the people being lowered won't be able to do much outside of maybe shooting or diving, while people moving over a bridge might be allowed to try and sneak to avoid the dragon's gaze or get a dodge roll if it decides to do something.

On the other hand, if the dragon is indeed moving in a fixed pattern and not going through the middle (and doesn't react much to our presence) then it probably is the safest option all in all.

Talking about that, Lokam does have Caving skill and moth wings.  If we need someone to get to the other side, he could do it.

While throwing moths in head-first by way of experimentation has my vote by default it might be safer if we try chucking a large rock inside the room first to see if it responds to it in any way, assuming our various "observe worm" actions don't give us any good intell. We still have plenty of time in-game, there's no need to rush in overly hastily.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27