Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Console Jockey Quest  (Read 1258 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Console Jockey Quest
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:30:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Index

Chapter 1: Morales Arcology Run

1-2

Lore

(You shouldn't need to read all of this to understand things, probably.)

Spoiler: Terminology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Group (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Culture (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Place (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:21:01 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
Re: Console Jockey, A Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:25 pm »

[ ] You would try to not get too much on her bad side.
[ ] You tried to explain your part, "-Delicate Matrix operations benefits from closer proximity to the mark..."
[ ] You... were too busy... playing videogames...
[ ] Gunpowder A.K.A. Powder
[ ] A strategic battle - an invading army seiging into your mark's defense, having to utilize your programs in creative and tactical ways. Very fun, actually.
[ ] Shy and Awkward
[ ] Other
- [ ] Too busy hacking to pick a gender, sorry
[ ] GM design
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:55:25 pm »

[] Design write-in: Triangular face; long, limp, unkempt black hair that hangs over it. A scrawny frame with bad posture, covered in layers of different sized shirts with different sleeve lengths and baggy cargo pants. Possibly a scarf.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:13:28 pm »

[X] The feeling was mutual.
[X] You tried to explain your part, "-Delicate Matrix operations benefits from closer proximity to the mark."
[X] Of course you did. What do you look like, an amateur?
[X] Blanker
[X] A puzzle. All ICEs are tangles of logic. So if you just... untangle them...
[X] Calculating
[X] Male
[X] Have GM design a few to pick from
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:22:59 am »

[X] You would try to not get too much on her bad side.
[X] (Write in): "so trust that I know what I'm doing, alright?"
[X] Bluecat
[X] Art. Every ICE is another work of art, created by someone working against you. It's beautiful at the same time as it's annoying. You'll just have to work your own magic to get around it.
[X] Explosive... you always keep it in, until it's too much, then you let it out. No matter what the emotion.
[X] You're male, but you care so little about it you make an effort to disguise it just to keep people guessing.
[X] Let the GM decide!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:29 am »

[X] The feeling was mutual.
[X] You tried to explain your part, "-Delicate Matrix operations benefits from closer proximity to the mark."
[X] Blanker
[X] A puzzle. All ICEs are tangles of logic. So if you just... untangle them...
[X] Calculating
[X] Male
[X] Have GM design a few to pick from
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:29:59 am »

[X] (Write in): "so trust that I know what I'm doing, alright?"
[X] Bluecat
[X] Art. Every ICE is another work of art, created by someone working against you. It's beautiful at the same time as it's annoying. You'll just have to work your own magic to get around it.
[X] Explosive... you always keep it in, until it's too much, then you let it out. No matter what the emotion.
[X] You're male, but you care so little about it you make an effort to disguise it just to keep people guessing.
[X] Let the GM decide!
+1.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Console Jockey Quest
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:45:48 am »

((By the way, I view this as more of an interactive story than a game. I may sometimes not actually follow what the majority suggests, or come up with my own ideas.))
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 08:36:35 am »

(That’s generally the best way to GM. Hard to write soulless husks that have no defining features beyond ‘multiple minds one body’)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:24 am »

"So tell me, did we really need to bring this baka wit' us? Not like they can't work from their cozy condominium in Fatadrekking Morgana," a harsh female voice woke you up from your brief nap. To none of your surprise, the street samurai was talking smack about you again.

You guessed that some people just hate other people the moment they meet.

[ ] The feeling was mutual.

You opened your eyes, blinking innocently at the remark and looked at the four of you, counting the pilot at the cockpit.

Paimon, the street samurai, was a dark-skinned African American, kitted in tactical assault gear, a katana, what appeared to be a monofilament whip, and an assault rifle.

Keyjac, your fellow cyberdecker, wore his hoodie over his armor, a hole behind the hood allowed his spinal jack to come out. It was embroidered along his hoodie, and unfortunately kind of giving a good spot to shoot at.

Doji, the other samurai, seemed more like a street ninja than a samurai. She was dressed up in what you would expect a corporate assassin would be depicted in a movie. That fact would make her look silly, but she managed to look professional somehow.

Then there was Jade, the pilot. You heard that they had to wear that full body chameleon suit as their life support, but you highly doubt it. It was, however, likely true that the pilot was more cyborg than human at this point.

"The client made me," you mentioned.

[ ] You shrugged brusquely, "-So deal with it."
[ ] You tried to explain your part, "-Delicate Matrix operations benefits from closer proximity to the mark."
[ ] You tried to appease them, "-I'll do my best to not get in the way."
[ ] Sarcastically: "-I'll do my best to not get in the way."
[X] "-Delicate Matrix operations need proximity, so trust that I know what I'm doing, all right?"
[ ] Something else (Write-in)

"Yeah, well, the Mr. Johnson's being a dumbass. You better know how to handle a gun because help me God I'm not bailing yer ass out of anything-" she stopped abruptly as an AR materialized in the middle of the spacious aeromobile. Despite the anonymous avatar it wore, it was obviously the Johnson.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen-"

"-Ain't neither," your pilot shouted suddenly. If faceless, black chunks of virtual stones could roll their eyes, then Mr. Johnson would have.

"-Runners. I trust you're more than capable of fulfilling our contract and have extensively reviewed the parameters I have given you."

[ ] You were waiting for him to run through it. He seemed like the exact kind of control freak who would do this.
[ ] You... were too busy... playing videogames...
[ ] Other (Write-in)

"My employers require that a certain Dr. Emilia Furuya be extracted from her post at the Morales Chemicals Arcology. She is aware of the terms of her employment, and will be waiting near the Shipment Dock 3. M_ ____ will find an access point to remotely disable her cortical explosive- otherwise extraction will prove impossible, of course. We will greatly appreciate it if you do not raise an alarm, as that may necessitate naval skirmishing."

"Sounds likes she's a big deal, if they'd be sending ships after her," Keyjac remarked quietly.

Mr. Johnson nodded at Keyjac, before he seemingly decided this was a good point to terminate the connection and turn you all loose on the approaching dome amidst the desert.

"Not ships, just speedboats and 'copters. Still not a good idea," Doji said, in a thick Chinese(?) accent. Then she turned to you, "I have assessed everyone's fitness for this run, except for you. Who are you?"

"I- Well..."

[What is your handle?]
[ ] Aurora
[ ] Blanker
[ ] Eight
[ ] Makura
[ ] Arachne
[X] Bluecat
[ ] Other (Write In)

You were a cyberdecker. The new world's hacker. While your predecessors must make do with probing for holes within the algorithms of their marks, the invention of the Matrix allowed you to connect to a world of alien mathematics that could demolish any previous cybersecurity with ease. Only through the uses of ICEs, Intrusion Countermeasure Entities, otherworldly tangles of logic formed from the thoughts of a cyberdecker could data be secured from hackers, and even then, deckers such as you delighted in outsmarting the ICEs and defeating them with your arsenal of programs and sheer will.

Because of the nature of the higher Matrix abstraction layers, a human brain could not fully comprehend its logic when not connected to a cyberdeck. All cyberdeckers must shield their conscious minds from the full power of information through the use of symbols.

[How did you primarily view your ICEbreaking?]
[ ] A duel, or a battle. It's you, your programs, against the ICEs and their masters.
[ ] A heist. ICEs are walls enveloping the fortresses of paydata, and with the help of your programs you will sneak through.
[ ] A puzzle. All ICEs are tangles of logic. So if you just... untangle them...
[ ] Other (Write-in)

[What was your personality like? Pick at least one]
[ ] Confrontational
[X] Calculating
[ ] Shy
[X] Explosive
[ ] Other (Write-in)

[What was your gender?]
[ ] Male
[ ] Female
[X] Male...ish.
[ ] Other (Write-in)

[What did you look like?]
[ ] Write-in
[X] Triangular face; long, limp, unkempt black hair that hangs over it. A scarf and a pair of VR goggles obscuring your face. A scrawny frame with bad posture, covered in layers of different sized shirts with different sleeve lengths and baggy cargo pants.

Doji and the rest of your colleagues listened closely to you as you talked about yourself: Your handle was Bluecat. As a cyberdecking cowboy, you had trained under the best of the best, brought up under the secretive Siolas Group. You moved on from that before Jade fell off their pilot seat and bring all of you plummeting to your doom. You admit that you didn't have much experience as a Runner, but you're not exactly that wet behind the ears, either.

The pair of VR goggles, bristling with electrodes, nestled within your scarf, gave away that you weren't augmented. Not even a DNI in your brain. You had decided that Keyjac was a nice kid since he didn't give you shit for it. It wasn't that you were a technophobe, far from it. The SG had a ritual about the bestowing of cybernetics. You'd have had next year's top of the line wares if SG didn’t fall apart.

"-Now hold on there. That's exactly why I don't like this," Paimon interjected, looking at Doji, "Why would Mr. Johnson foist a former SG on us, especially when you already got him, " she gestured to Keyjac.

"There's something fishy about this run. It's supposed to be just an extraction-" she continued.

"-From a heavily guarded arcology run by a cult-like megacorporation. Maybe he thought we needed the extra firepower," Doji said, suddenly finding her gloves interesting.

"Fine, fine, let's say the run isn't fishy, but Bluecat here is obviously loaded by Mr. Johnson. What even happened to Siolas?" Paimon grumbled.

[ ] Lie: "We got caught. Disbanded. That's all there is to it."
[ ] Remain silent.
[ ] "It's not important. I'd like to get paid, too."
[ ] "So what if I'm loaded? I'm just here to help. I'm hardly equipped to assassinate all of you."
[ ] (Write-in)

"Loaded?" Keyjac said, finally, with a quizzical look on his face.

"A loaded dice. It means they're paid by Johnson to look for corporate interests, and if I know anythin' about how we runners operate, it ain't voluntary," Jade spoke up.

[ ] "-It's really not that bad. It’s no different from having a Fixer."
[ ] Remain silent.
[ ] "How about we talk about the insertion? We're not flying straight into the Arcology, aren't we?"
[ ] (Write-in)

<<
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:48:42 pm by Cinder »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 06:51:57 am »

[X] "It's not important. I'd like to get paid, too."

[X] "-It's really not that bad. It’s no different from having a Fixer."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 12:37:11 am »

[X] "It's not important. I'd like to get paid, too."

[X] "-It's really not that bad. It’s no different from having a Fixer."

+1, also boop
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 01:12:13 am »

You shuffled uncomfortably in your seat as you become vaguely aware of the thoughts going behind Keyjac’s head. Reputation was important among deckers, especially ones you were about to work with. Paimon, aware or not, was making your job much, much harder than it should be.

“It’s not important, alright? I’m like the rest of you. I’m pulling this run so that I get paid,” you said, frowning.

“It’s not like I’m under a demonic contract. I’m no one's wageslave.”

“Where I’m from, mandatory contracts mean you’re a slave,” Jade observed, “But we’re approaching the arcology.”

“Finally,” Doji said. She summoned up an AR map of the complex. A sprawling mess that you would only dare analyze in the Matrix. Routes are mapped originating from within- so you’re breaking in aerially- to the rendezvous point, to the docks.

“This was as much as Tako-” their former decker “-mapped when I pulled it off his head,” she said, “We’ll figure out where Jade will be picking us up once we hand the VIP off to Lazarus… after Keyjac and Bluecat make sure her brain won’t explode.”

“But that’s the escape. Insertion… Keyjac and Paimon, you two will be looking for the VIP. Hack the comms and coordinate with her, or just track her down, whatever. I’ll draw off attention.”

She looked at you.

“Mr. Johnson didn’t let me talk to you until now, but the long story short is that you’re going to hack into what controls the employees’ failsafes and use the program Lazarus gave us to disengage the cortex charge for some reasons. But you’re going to help us before that, too.”

[X] “I’ll go with Paimon and Keyjac. Takes less time if we used the same access point.”
[ ] “I can come with you and keep surveillance from sending too many heavies at us.”
[ ] “I can support you all from the sky if Jade could find an access point.”
[ ] Other (Write-in)

<<
>>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:56:36 am by Cinder »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 05:09:39 am »

[X] “I’ll go with Paimon and Keyjac. Takes less time if we used the same access point.”

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:54 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.