Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in VR?  (Read 2292 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Dwarf Fortress in VR?
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:30:24 pm »

Is it possible.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in VR?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:45:43 pm »

Is it possible.
With extensive 3rd-party tools. I have oreviously played with a snapshot of a fort (some custom DFHack scripting) being converted into a 3d render in POV-Ray. Just do it twice (stereo) and quicker (realtime) and you can feed a 3d view. Feed back some telemetry to the renderer (and maybe then the subset of map interrogated) and you got your VR.

I'm not sure where that experiment is, but might be various versions out of date and need rewriting anyway, so pick and choose your own options.

(Or gut and recode something like Stonesense, to skip over the inefficiencies and use existing direct(er) memory-to-rendering code, but with the binocular twist. You feel up to that?)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »

It'll look kinda bad due to the tile-based world and creatures not having a walking simulation, what you would get is static 3D models jumping around.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:08 pm »

It'll look kinda bad due to the tile-based world and creatures not having a walking simulation, what you would get is static 3D models jumping around.
People seem to enjoy Armokvision, so it's probably not too much of an issue.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »

Something I think that would be enjoyable for players with VR is basically Armokvision, but with the god-like VR POV
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:16:57 am »

But it would look horrible when the camera is on the ground, so VR adventure mode is not a viable idea.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:41:34 am »

If some generous person ever donates me a PC VR headset, I will make DF playable in VR, and that's a promise.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 05:19:32 am »

If some generous person ever donates me a PC VR headset, I will make DF playable in VR, and that's a promise.

No intention to be insulting, of course, but.....Any reason you couldn't just save for it? Some of them are rather cheap, local currency and means depending. (Example: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality-Headset-Controllers/dp/B077MF8TQ7/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529921539&sr=8-4&keywords=windows+mixed+reality&dpID=311ws0tIHRL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:59:16 am »

I'd played with multiple snapshots (pause, snapshot, step, snapshot, ...) and creating feasible splining paths against the t dimension. (Looked better than modified manhattan+ movement flowing beneath each position, but it needed a series of data with foreknowledge of change of position as well as immediate history. So it wasn't realtime.)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:51 am »

No intention to be insulting, of course, but.....Any reason you couldn't just save for it? Some of them are rather cheap, local currency and means depending. (Example: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality-Headset-Controllers/dp/B077MF8TQ7/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529921539&sr=8-4&keywords=windows+mixed+reality&dpID=311ws0tIHRL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)
The one you linked cost more than I earn in a month including shipping and taxes to India.

I'd played with multiple snapshots (pause, snapshot, step, snapshot, ...) and creating feasible splining paths against the t dimension. (Looked better than modified manhattan+ movement flowing beneath each position, but it needed a series of data with foreknowledge of change of position as well as immediate history. So it wasn't realtime.)
I've done it in Armok Vision by reading the source and destination tiles from DF, as well as the move timer. It works for most cases, except for when the dwarf chances their mind about the destination at the last minute, which happens whenever there's another unit occupying the tile they're trying to go to.

That said, at the speed that DF generally goes, the tile-based movement isn't really noticable anyway.