Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Quest  (Read 1493 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Artifact Quest
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:16:37 am »

I recovered an artifact for a Dwarven Fortress. How do I return it to them? Do I have to approach a certain person?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 03:20:29 pm »

My best guess is that I need to take it to the person mentioned in the "troubles" description.

Ushat Windybanner wants Bridgedmind the tower-cap scepter returned to Crowdgalleys.

There are three big problems with this:

1. My character never retains the name of this dwarf. I continually have to ask about troubles, choose missing treasure, then ask for the whereabouts of the dwarf.

2. Nobody seems to be able to tell me where the dwarf is (in their home fortress).

We are in Crowdgalleys.  I'm not sure exactly where to look.

3. There are over 200 dwarves in this fortress (and about 300 inhabitants). How can I ever find this one dwarf?

"Crowdgalleys", fortress
        Owner: The Late Gorge, dwarves
        Parent Civ: The Road of Scars, dwarves
        242 dwarves

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:40:24 pm »

It's a pain, but you can look at the description of every dwarf in the fortress -- their name shows up there.  It's slightly faster than talking to them.  Normally if I have to find someone in a fortress, I wander down the the main rooms (with all the storerooms, etc) and see if I can find them.  If they aren't there, then they will likely be in the bedrooms -- at which point I'll probably give up.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:05:36 pm »

It's a pain, but you can look at the description of every dwarf in the fortress -- their name shows up there.  It's slightly faster than talking to them.  Normally if I have to find someone in a fortress, I wander down the the main rooms (with all the storerooms, etc) and see if I can find them.  If they aren't there, then they will likely be in the bedrooms -- at which point I'll probably give up.

Thanks. That is a good idea. And it works even if you've never been introduced, right?

As it turns out, I managed it by paying attention to other conversations (thank you gamelog.txt!). I didn't pick up a name but I knew the dwarf was a bookkeeper and "heard" a conversation with a bookkeeper. Even then, it took me longer than normal to catch her standing still and offer the artifact. For some reason, she seemed to move around a lot more than the other dwarves.

It was extra-chaotic because some kind of rebellion/insurrection was going on and the mayor was killed, in the middle of me walking around. This brings up an interesting point about how the game interprets events. I suppose I should start a new topic for it but I wonder if there is any possible insight into what happened.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:18:21 am »

I've had a few situations where the local dark pit attacked and a few of the attackers were dwarfs that were originally kidnapped as babies.  This seemed to have spawned an all out loyalty cascade (if such a thing is possible in adventure mode).  Or maybe it was an insurrection -- I don't know.  But the fortress split up in to two factions and fought to the death.  Each time I got caught up in the battle -- half of the combatants were lethal to me and attacked me.  After that, virtually everybody in the fortress hated me and called me a murderer.  It was super weird.  After a few times I learned to mind my own business when dwarf fortresses were attacked :-)