Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [44.12] Dwarf Souls: A Dark Souls Overhaul Mod 3.1  (Read 20121 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Dwarf Souls: A Dark Souls Overhaul Mod 3.1
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:03:48 am »

In the Age of Ancients, the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of gray crags, Archtrees, and Everlasting Dragons. But then there was Fire, and with fire came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, light and dark. Then from the dark, They came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame. Nito, the First of the Dead, The Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights. And the Furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten.

With the strength of Lords, they challenged the Dragons. Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales. The Witches weaved great firestorms. Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease. And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the Dragons were no more.

Thus began the Age of Fire. But soon the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain. Even now there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights...

================================================================================
What is Dwarf Souls?

This is a total conversion mod into the world of Dark Souls. It is important to note, however, that it is not a conversion to a specific game, but rather the generalized setting itself. I have taken great pains to abstract and distill the essence of the game without using actual named characters, allowing for the world to possess the dynamism and flexibility inherent in Dwarf Fortress without damaging the player's immersion. In my personal opinion, this mod takes place in some distant, maddened edge of reality where many threads of time clash together and various peoples try to weather the storm of constant change and decay. Multiple civilizations are friendly and playable in this mod, but more of them will be hostile to all outsiders, fulfilling the role of dangerous and explorable "dungeons" to be looted and massacred. Creatures and civilizations from all three games are present in this mod. All plants can be eaten or brewed into potions for significant but temporary stat boosts (I may rebalance these later). Overall this mod should be fully playable in fortress and adventure mode, though if there are any bugs or issues please let me know.

HOW TO INSTALL:
Just download it, place the folder somewhere, and play it. This mod comes with its own .exe and everything, you do not need to copy and paste, drag and drop, or otherwise move any files around beyond the initial step. It works exactly like installing and playing the vanilla game.
================================================================================
Download link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13846
Changelog:

3.1 Changes:
-Fixed a bug involving some bite attacks. You can probably keep your 3.0 save working if you transfer the new creature raws into it, but make a backup just in case.

3.0 Changes:
-Content from Dark Souls 3 added to the mod.
-Updated to 44.12.
-Various bug fixes.

2.2 Changes:
-Frequency of mimics reduced.
-Further differentiation between hollows added. Tier list, from least to most dangerous, goes feral hollow<hollow knight<heavy hollow knight<elite hollow knight. This should roughly simulate the various Large Armored Dudes found throughout the series without needlessly duplicating every single one as a unique creature spawn.
-Fixed a duplicate raw bug.
-As I was working on the DS3 update as the above issue was discovered, some DS3 creatures will no be present in the game. Enjoy your Ravenous Crystal Lizards, Lothric (Gnarled) Wyverns, and the various residents of the Undead Settlement as a preview of things to come.
-Ghouls will not use the spider semimegabeast as an attack animal.
-Pyromancers can use fireball as intended. Remember, cut off a wizard's hands and they won't be able to cast spells.
-Feral skeletons, skeleton wheels, and pygmy skeletons should be properly hostile again. If you are playing a skeleton civilization, keep them away from any living diplomats, because feral skeletons WILL attack all things not tagged as NOT_LIVING. Best to err on the side of caution and keep them locked in dungeons/catacombs when not in use.

2.1 Changes:
-Unknown Frozen Plant Substances shouldn't be showing up anymore I thiiiink
-Skeleton pets now have pet values.

2.0 Changes:
-Monsters and civilizations from Dark Souls 2 have been integrated into the mod. The amount of content has been increased by about 30-40%, in my estimation.
-Many bug fixes and tweaks. Most creatures should now be rarer, but also bigger and harder to kill.
-Hollowing mechanic temporarily removed, it was causing problems and I need to work on it again.

1.1 Changes:
-Hollowing might have been implemented sort of. If I did it right, humans marked with the Dark Sign should be reanimated as Hollows, and Hollows who die will be revived as feral hollows. It should probably work but don't quote me on that.
-Schools of magic added. This is sort of complex and bears explaining. Right now there are three different slabs that can be created, like with necromancers. Spells involve manipulating fire, stone, and lightning, and more may be added later. Reading a slab will let you become a sorcerer and is guaranteed to teach you one spell on the first reading. I say first because while there is a 100% chance for one spell, you have a small chance of learning a new spell (4 spells in each school) every time you read it, with stronger spells having a lower chance of being learned. However, every time you read it you will incur "magic fatigue" which gives you a 50% chance to fail ANY action for 10 days in fort mode, and half a day in adventure mode. Hopefully, this encourages players to find a safe place to settle down and study their slab(s) in adventure mode, and protect their people for the appropriate amount of time should they study magic in fort mode. NPCs who read slabs in world gen will only read them once though, so every battle against a sorcerer should be a unique or at least unpredictable experience. Is he a fledgling caster with only the weakest spells, or a master who can incinerate hundreds with a snap of his fingers? You won't know until you fight him. One tip though, you need hands to cast magic, so disarming our opponent should render them helpless.
-Lords of Moonlight will cast mood-improving illusions when not in combat.
-Slave giants can be trained by Lord civilizations.

1.0 Changes:
-Dwarf Souls released.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:10:27 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Souls: A Dark Souls Overhaul Mod 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:13:45 am »

Complete Playable civilizations (fort mode+adventure mode):

Celestians- "Celestian" is not a race, but rather a catch-all term for a race of Lords and their blessed servants. Most of the population are Irithyllians, a race of humans who carry the bloodline of the gods. But rarely among them are born true Lords, who rise to the top of society and join their brethren as rulers when they come of age. Four types of Lords are known to exist among the Celestians. The most physically powerful and innately charismatic are the Lords of Sunlight, imposing figures innately skilled in pyromancy and military tactics. They will always be the rulers of Celestian civilizations. Most agile and cunning are the Lords of Moonlight. Though smallest of the gods, their grace and skill at magic is reknowned, as is their ability to think creatively and solve problems. Then there are the Lords of Starlight, the rare gods that produce arms and armor along with many other works of art, and command power over metal. And lastly and most common are the Lords of Thunder, war gods born with knowledge of killing and incredible levels of strength.

Humans: Most common of all civilized races, the humans are also one of the physically smallest and weakest races, surviving in the shadow of great powers and terrible monsters. Only their relatively advanced metalworking and strength in numbers spares them from extinction without the protection of some higher power. Human kingdoms vary between cruel slave empires, just and righteous kingdoms, and apostate swamp-dwellers, but all have a significant population afflicted with the Dark Sign, leaving them damned to a slow withering into mindless Hollows, though until then they will reap the benefits of immortality, though their bodies dry and wither with the centuries.

Dragon-Kin: Once human, the dragon cultists have transcended that definition, becoming scaled humanoids of great strength and violent barbarity, prizing independence and martial prowess in their fervor to be like the Everlasting Dragons of old, proud and without the need for petty things like community. Some of them are farther along this path than others, no longer appearing human at all, but given the shape of a dragon entirely, though a pale shadow of the true dragons of old. Despite their propensity for violence, they are often tolerated or even welcomed as allies due to their aggressive policy of hunting down mad Hollows and rampaging monsters.

Serpent Men: A degenerated offshoot of draconic lineage, the serpent men have carved out a niche in the swamps of the world. Though their nations are relatively primitive, they are supported by revered mages marked from birth by their cobra hood and four arms, along with innate prowess in the magic of electromancy.

Hollows: Some kingdoms that have wholly been lost to the undead curse have retained their minds and seek to carry on as best as they can in the face of adversity, struggling to survive against all odds. They have few things going for them save for their lack of needing sleep and an inability to feel pain, but oftentimes that is enough for them to weather all but the most vicious assaults.

Skeletons: Not undead as is commonly known, these enigmatic creatures seem more to be spirits possessing the calcified remains of humans rather than humans who have degraded to their most denuded state. Little is known of them save for the fact that they want for no base needs and feel no fear or pain, making them tenacious and dangerous enemies only killable by decapitation or the destruction of the torso.

Lion Clan: A race of monstrous leonine bipeds, these creatures are new players on the world stage. Violent, primitive, and with a deep hatred of all other races, they are poised to be a significant danger to other civilized peoples. Wandering in Lion Clan territory is dangerous for any outsider, as bands of ruffians patrol everywhere within their territory.

Gyrm: A race of squat, stocky cave-dwellers may ring a bell for you dwarf fortress players, and indeed these guys can best be described as a more xenophobic, tough, and warlike breed of the dwarves you are familiar with. However, they are a bit bulkier and can use most types of weapons the small vanilla dwarves are not able to use. They really despise surface dwellers for driving them into the depths, so have fun with that.

Corvians: A race of malformed bird men with a penchant for apathy and laziness, the corvians are generally regarded as one of the more unpleasant "civilized" races to deal with, mostly due to their hideous appearance. That said, some of them have gained renown as feared knights, though they are exceptions to the rule.

Locusts: The abyss-tainted locusts may seem friendly, with their silver tongues and vast troves of wealth, but in truth their goal is to tempt ever-more souls to the madness of the endless black, and hasten the eternal age of darkness. They are only half-competent in this regard, however, as their greed and desire for personal pleasure has led many of them to pursue their own agendas.

Adventurer Playable Civilizations:

Demons: Despite their reputation as violent, mad brutes with a hatred for all life, this cannot be said for every last member of this pseudo-race of mutated beings. While most have indeed become feral killers, many Demons have a mind of their own, and though it is a proud and violent one, it can be communicated and reasoned with. Intelligent demons make desirable guards and mercenaries, and terrifying foes to face in battle due to their ability to smith the fabled Titanite ore, like the Celestians and Dragon-kin can.

Treants: Guardians of the forest, the Treants are less a true civilization and more a series of loose communes dedicated to protecting their home-trees from all intruders. While those who live in tree-villages will generally obey the rules of hospitality, stumbling into a patrol of them in the wild will surely lead to a fight.

Giants: Primitive yet noble barbarians, these towering, stone-skinned beings lurk in their massive halls and sprawling mound-villages, wielding mighty weapons and powerful magics. Though they are reasonable beings, to rouse their ire is to face an invasion of mighty titans that few warriors can withstand.

Primals: Be they ancient beings or mutated men, whatever these creatures are they are surely a force to be recognized, even for a race that lives only in small communes below the earth. Their kind make exemplary mercenaries and shock troopers, should they choose to offer their services as mercenaries.

Witchspawn: Cave-dwelling covens of enigmatic humanoids, the witchspawn claim a link to the fabled Witch of Izalith and her children, though the truth of this is unverified. Regardless, the witchspawn are skilled pyromancers, much like the ancestors they claim to have, and can be valuable allies or dangerous foes.

Invader/Dungeon Civilizations (HOSTILE TO ALL OUTSIDERS):

Skeleton Invaders: While some skeletons are relatively benign, or at least tolerable, there are just as many if not more that skulk in the ruins of dilapidated cities they have looted and occupied. Some may flee at your approach, as will many other creatures in dungeons, but they may well gather their courage and return to attack. And of course, running into proper warriors can be a significant challenge, but well worth the risk if you can loot the treasures stored within the ancient keeps and castles.

Hollow Invaders: Most Hollows have given in to madness at least partially, and this often manifests in the form of hordes of half-crazed armies rampaging through the countryside or stealing valuable artifacts to store in their lairs. They are easier to kill than Skeletons and have weaker gear, but tend to be more skilled with weapons in general.

Ghouls: Disease-infested, cannibalistic savages that dwell in cities ravaged by plague, the Ghoul swarms carry pestilence and death wherever they go. Supported by deformed and diseased animals and bloated walking carcasses, the ghoul towns are a struggle to cleanse, but it must be done lest their contamination spreads even further.

Crystalhosts: It is said that in a faraway land lived a great dragon-sorceror who created many strange and unnatural creations through the use of the mysterious Primordial Crystals. Using his foul magics, he sent forth legions of crystal-infested undead to every land they could reach in order to gather more knowledge and resources. It has been ages since his presence was even rumored to exist, but his mark on the world remains in the form of crystalline corpses obsessively pillaging and hoarding information and artifacts. Crystalhost swarms use steel armor and train powerful crystal golems, making them dangerous foes to fight.

Abyssal Men: Pouring out from the depths of the Abyss came the mutated men who delved too deep into its magics, spawning a vile race of freaks overflowing with the Dark. Squatting in ancient towers and commanded by unique once-men forever changed by sorcerous energy, they seek to bring about an everlasting Age of Dark. A significant portion of their woman-folk are blessed with the magics of the abyss, giving them the ability to spawn disease and rot the flesh of their victims.

Cave Dwellers: The exiles and outcasts of many races can be found carving out tangled burrows in the depths of the earth, surviving by scavenging and thievery. It is said that vast holds of treasure exist in their lairs, if they can just be found.

Goblins: Deformed savages dwelling in the darkest parts of the woods, the goblins are little more than a nuisance to most peoples, but can be a significant thread to vulnerable, outlying villages who have yet to progress past a meager militia. Any kingdom worth their weight in iron should make a project of exterminating any nearby goblin infestations.

Ghru: The Ghru are seen by many as demonic, but the truth is more complex. While tainted beings, their origin is borne from man rather than the lords, and so they are the Dark counterpart to the corrupted Light of true demons, and some even rumor that when the true demons die, it is the Ghru that will inherit their role in the world, as the scourge of civilization.

Angels: One of the purest expressions of the encroaching Darkness, the Angels travel in great flocks from their looming towers, bathing the world in the glow of their purifying rain of fire and leaving nothing but ash behind. It is said that the appearance of the Angels is a sign of the end of the world, but few believe such outlandish speculation.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:30:42 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Souls: A Dark Souls Overhaul Mod 1.0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:14:20 am »

reserved

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Souls: A Dark Souls Overhaul Mod 1.1
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:16:10 pm »

Sounds rad, looks rad. Starting up a game ASAP. Thanks for making this!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »

Thanks! Let me know if you experience any problems, feedback is always appreciated.

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:37 pm »

Thanks! Let me know if you experience any problems, feedback is always appreciated.

Alrighty! Reporting back in with some brief testing and shenanigans! Picked the Celestians because I had to and embarked with a God of Thunder, six Irithyllians, and two slave giants. Within the first month I was attacked by a rogue slave giant who killed my slave giants and one of my Irithyllians and crippled my only carpenter, leading to no barrels and no drinks. So far, very FUN!

I do enjoy the ash biome I seem to have spawned in. Has all dirt been replaced with ash, or is that just in certain areas? There don't seem to be any fruit bearing trees.

Also what are life gems for? I found a 50+ block vein of them and my guys won't put them in a gem stockpile.

All in all, a perfect 5/7 so far!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 01:04:27 am »

Alrighty! Reporting back in with some brief testing and shenanigans! Picked the Celestians because I had to and embarked with a God of Thunder, six Irithyllians, and two slave giants. Within the first month I was attacked by a rogue slave giant who killed my slave giants and one of my Irithyllians and crippled my only carpenter, leading to no barrels and no drinks. So far, very FUN!

I do enjoy the ash biome I seem to have spawned in. Has all dirt been replaced with ash, or is that just in certain areas? There don't seem to be any fruit bearing trees.

Also what are life gems for? I found a 50+ block vein of them and my guys won't put them in a gem stockpile.

All in all, a perfect 5/7 so far!

A good idea would be to use your Lord of Thunder to fight threads like the ones that got you. In terms of innate power level they're up there with Ornstein, Smough, Artorias, ect. The big scary knight dudes. Or should be, anyway. Either way any Lord with a full set of armor should be a significant asset, though you should still train them and stuff.

The ash biome is either an evil region (Evil biomes are ashy, have big pillars, and are infested with demons) or a desert which happens to be made of ash. I might add more fruit trees later, there aren't many of those in Dark Souls canon.

I actually don't know what life gems are gonna be for besides monetary value but they should definitely be going in the gem stockpile, that is a bug thanks for reporting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:09:04 am by squamous »

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 02:06:27 pm »

Bizarrely enough, the biome was a coniferous forest. Also, turns out my Irithyllians were just being lazy, lifegems worked fine.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »

Bizarrely enough, the biome was a coniferous forest. Also, turns out my Irithyllians were just being lazy, lifegems worked fine.

Ah, well I did add a "sand-type" soil named ash, so I guess that sandy soils will be found in biomes other than deserts. Oh well, I'm not complaining. And good to know the gems are working, I couldn't figure out was was wrong. Also I just updated the mod to 2.0 so you might want to check that out.

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 03:18:27 pm »

Well damn, just as I started a new fortress. Also the slave giants seem a little off. I brought another pair to this new fortress. One was made Expedition Leader, and as soon as that happened, the other one started attacking him. Not sure what that's all about.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 03:22:11 pm »

Well damn, just as I started a new fortress. Also the slave giants seem a little off. I brought another pair to this new fortress. One was made Expedition Leader, and as soon as that happened, the other one started attacking him. Not sure what that's all about.

I think I know what's happening, lemme just put out a quick patch.

EDIT: Its up, just redownload. You were the only person who downloaded so far so I didn't give it a new version number.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:25:20 pm by squamous »

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »

Will do!

Necro991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 08:57:27 pm »

Welp, accidentally got Skeletons. Turns out all their units cost two points, so I brought 433 Firebombers with me.

https://imgur.com/a/2DuAnPj

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 09:11:06 pm »

Welp, accidentally got Skeletons. Turns out all their units cost two points, so I brought 433 Firebombers with me.

https://imgur.com/a/2DuAnPj

Oh geeze I forgot to give this pet values I think, thanks for catching that.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 04:04:09 am »

When playing this mod should I make an aboveground settlement for rp immerson or should I just double down with a mountainside/underground one?

How do you think an aboveground settlement be designed anyway? I've always tried to do one but I become relatively uninspired how I go about it. Any tips?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4